Author Topic: The Bolts Thread  (Read 19509 times)

Diocletian

Re: The Bolts Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2021, 01:26:38 PM »
I love the Shorty's 7/8" phillips but the damn tool always slips off the shorter nuts real easy and takes too long. 1" and normal sized nuts, I cruise through em real quick.

IpathCats

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2021, 01:33:16 PM »
Am I the only one confused about shortys still selling hardware? Like wtf happened to the company where they decided to shut everything down except the hardware department? That old marketing really did the trick I suppose, looks like most people still ride em.

1in shortys Phillips with 1/8 RUBBER risers.
I kinda like how they look worn between black/silver, and fuck Allen, that shit looks weird.

The forged plates on titanium indy's plus the slight squish from the rubber risers allow you to get a thread or two passed the nut.
Also rubber risers are sick because you can trim them to fit flush around your baseplates, and they seem to make my hardware rattle loose less often.

PS - Nora needs to get her shit together, I almost threw up looking at that. Come on girl get it together.

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2021, 01:37:29 PM »
anyone have a source for bulk bolts?  i bought a Powell 100 pack a while back, but they're 1 inch//phillips, and I've been looking for 7/8//allen with no luck
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2021, 03:00:57 PM »
anyone have a source for bulk bolts?  i bought a Powell 100 pack a while back, but they're 1 inch//phillips, and I've been looking for 7/8//allen with no luck
https://www.mudgehardware.com/shortys-style-allen-mounting-hardware

Order minimum is $50, which equates to about 100 sets

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2021, 05:51:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
https://www.mudgehardware.com/shortys-style-allen-mounting-hardware

Order minimum is $50, which equates to about 100 sets

sweet, thanks!
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2021, 06:05:52 PM »
I want to try white bolts (I think bones makes them)
but otherwise as long as my bolts arent longer than normal and arent Phillips idc

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2021, 06:11:14 PM »
I bought a bunch of generic 7/8" and 1" Allen-key bolts from eBay (Aliexpress reseller, no doubt) a few years back for like $2 a pack. They have been great, no complaints. I tried to direct a friend that way and found that the seller was gone. While plenty of other people are selling them for $4-6, at that price, might as well go name brand
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2021, 06:52:16 PM »
I bought a bunch of generic 7/8" and 1" Allen-key bolts from eBay (Aliexpress reseller, no doubt) a few years back for like $2 a pack. They have been great, no complaints. I tried to direct a friend that way and found that the seller was gone. While plenty of other people are selling them for $4-6, at that price, might as well go name brand

For some reason most of the sellers only do 1" allen, rarely see 7/8" Philips.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2021, 06:59:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For some reason most of the sellers only do 1" allen, rarely see 7/8" Philips.

Generic stuff is weird like that. I always assume it is because a pallet of 1" hardware disappeared out of the back of a factory in Shenzhen a year or two ago
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Festivus

• Rep: 12
  • For the rest of us
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2021, 07:48:16 PM »
I was actually trying to find a place to order bulk generic hardware a little while back, and found this place

www.americanintegratedsupply.com

Stainless 7/8 allen: https://www.americanintegratedsupply.com/details/item?itemID=BSFHS010200870

Black 7/8 allen: https://www.americanintegratedsupply.com/details/item?itemID=BSFHA010200870

Locknuts: https://www.americanintegratedsupply.com/details/item?itemid=NLI1S01020&rt=%2FSearch%2FResults%3Fid%3D10-32%2Blocknut

Don't quote me on this, but i believe all of their stuff is made in the USA as well, so that's cool.

Shipping is a bit pricey, but if you're buying a ton of that stuff in bulk it definitely still saves you money in the long run.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2021, 08:28:20 PM »
I want to try white bolts (I think bones makes them)
but otherwise as long as my bolts arent longer than normal and arent Phillips idc

The bones ones are just white painted heads on black bolts.

Maybe a little bit less spectacular when you see them, but that is up to you.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2021, 09:46:31 PM »
Yeah, i've only seen the combo bolts a few times in the wild.

I only remember having a different sized allen key once.

It was with a set of defiant {i think that's what it was named} bolts that I won in a comp. They made trucks i think? Chad bartie, trent fahey, i'm sure others skated for them, but that's all I remember - had a southern cross logo?

I feel like you're the only person who could answer this question Mr Brimson.

Ha yes, but Defiant brand was from the minds / under the umbrella of Kewday, so that is the link - Jamie Bartie, older brother to Chad and others, as well as their dad Dave Bartie, who had the Barties skate shop on the Gold Coast from the 80s.

also, possibly a silly question as i know nothing about these things, but why are these the only options - did anyone ever make robertson head bolts, or flat head screwdriver bolts? not that i would want them, because allen keys are sacred skateboard tools to me.

I know there were a few back once upon a time, maybe only on the really cheap completes, with the flatheads or that is what people bought from the hardware store, and I saw somewhere a couple of people doing other special shaped heads, similar to all those weird looking extra bits that are in the 50 piece kit that you never know what they will fit, but they always have them in there, star shaped and all that.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2021, 02:16:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Yeah, i've only seen the combo bolts a few times in the wild.

I only remember having a different sized allen key once.

It was with a set of defiant {i think that's what it was named} bolts that I won in a comp. They made trucks i think? Chad bartie, trent fahey, i'm sure others skated for them, but that's all I remember - had a southern cross logo?

I feel like you're the only person who could answer this question Mr Brimson.
[close]

Ha yes, but Defiant brand was from the minds / under the umbrella of Kewday, so that is the link - Jamie Bartie, older brother to Chad and others, as well as their dad Dave Bartie, who had the Barties skate shop on the Gold Coast from the 80s.

Expand Quote
also, possibly a silly question as i know nothing about these things, but why are these the only options - did anyone ever make robertson head bolts, or flat head screwdriver bolts? not that i would want them, because allen keys are sacred skateboard tools to me.
[close]

I know there were a few back once upon a time, maybe only on the really cheap completes, with the flatheads or that is what people bought from the hardware store, and I saw somewhere a couple of people doing other special shaped heads, similar to all those weird looking extra bits that are in the 50 piece kit that you never know what they will fit, but they always have them in there, star shaped and all that.

thanks for clarifying the defiant/kewday connection - yeah that was a terribly stupid idea to have different sized allen key set ups.

i equate phillips head bolts with really cheap completes and is part of my disdain for them in real skateboards.

i never had them, but when i was a kid i really wanted a set of those tap in bolts that were neither phillips/allen or anything else, anyone had experience with those? i guess they suck and that's why they didn't stay a thing but all the older dudes had them around me...
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2021, 02:30:58 AM »

i never had them, but when i was a kid i really wanted a set of those tap in bolts that were neither phillips/allen or anything else, anyone had experience with those? i guess they suck and that's why they didn't stay a thing but all the older dudes had them around me...

Yes, had those for a minute too, but was always more keen on the plain simple ones.

Funny though cause I was going through things and found some, lots actually.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2021, 03:17:42 AM »
are they good or are they a pain?

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2021, 03:18:42 AM »
The bolts thread is moving way faster than the trucks thread. Has truck madness been solved and I didn't get the memo?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2021, 03:27:26 AM »
are they good or are they a pain?

From my instagram post, sums it up best I think:

Randoms Hardware, otherwise known as "hammer ins"
Cleaning up and sorting out some things and a few people had been talking about them, so I decided to get out the ones I still had floating around, some with Black Label heads, some from Hardcore Dist and others from who knows where.
Look like these guys went out of business a few years ago now, last Instagram post early 2019, but had been around since about 2000 or earlier. I know these were pretty hot in the early 00s and people loved to swap and mix them with heads from certain brands or pro riders like Heddings with the pentagrams or the alien or skull, etc.
The way they worked was you put them in the board, sat the trucks on and just did up the nuts, not needing to hold the deck bolts from the top, but as the nickname suggested, often a hammer was needed to get them into the board to get far enough through so you could get the nuts on.
I can recall a few people having issues not being able to get them far enough through or hammering them in on angles so the trucks didn't go on and all sorts of stupid things, but when installed correctly they worked well and never had loose bolt issues.

30ramp
Looking back I’ve wondered if randoms contributed to pressure cracks at the base plate area when I always used them as a kid.

mbrimson88
@30ramp There was actually a post on their Instagram account showing no difference in stress between hammer ins and regular bolts and I remember seeing something like that in a video once too. Funny though, cause the way some people were beating the things in, I could easily see them doing damage to the board. I always found it interesting too when looking at old boards, to see the star pattern the bolts left in the decks. @randomshardware

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2021, 04:13:34 AM »
are they all 1"? if you have lots would you be happy to let a set go? i wanna try them.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2021, 07:24:01 AM »
are they all 1"? if you have lots would you be happy to let a set go? i wanna try them.

I think there are still some online, as I looked around before I posted that a while back - might have been $20 a set or something which I think is ridiculous, but I guess that is what people can get for them.

There are a lot of things that come and go, mainly because there are better products, so these fall more into the gimmick category than anything else.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2021, 08:13:43 AM »
If you don’t run shortys allen heads I honestly feel sorry for you

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

sketchyrider

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2021, 09:25:20 AM »
If you don’t run shortys allen heads I honestly feel sorry for you

they look cool, but they look like something a tech skater would rock...

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2021, 10:46:08 AM »
i had rasta bolts when i was 11, don’t remember the brand but they were painted and the screwdriver didn’t fit some of them at first

i prefer allen simply because i like that shape more than phillips and i own a skate tool so i don’t have a problem with finding a key

i’ve been using the same set of bolts for like 8 years, though i remember buying plus reserve bolts in like 2015, i set up 2 or 3 decks using them and all of them stripped, they were awful. they were those bolts that fit both phillips and allen keys, such a bad idea but i was 15 and liked how they looked

i recently got new bolts and they’re the pig allen prime bolts, 1 inch, i like that rainbow color a lot
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Rem377

• Rep: 4
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2021, 04:18:38 PM »
I was actually trying to find a place to order bulk generic hardware a little while back, and found this place

www.americanintegratedsupply.com

Stainless 7/8 allen: https://www.americanintegratedsupply.com/details/item?itemID=BSFHS010200870

Black 7/8 allen: https://www.americanintegratedsupply.com/details/item?itemID=BSFHA010200870

Locknuts: https://www.americanintegratedsupply.com/details/item?itemid=NLI1S01020&rt=%2FSearch%2FResults%3Fid%3D10-32%2Blocknut

Don't quote me on this, but i believe all of their stuff is made in the USA as well, so that's cool.

Shipping is a bit pricey, but if you're buying a ton of that stuff in bulk it definitely still saves you money in the long run.

Some additional bulk suppliers should they have better shipping rates to your area:

https://www.fastenere.com/10-32-x-1-flat-head-socket-cap-screws-black-oxide-alloy-steel-qty-100

https://www.fastenere.com/10-32-nylon-insert-hex-lock-nuts-grade-2-zinc-plated-steel-qty-100

https://www.grainger.com/product/4XY14

https://www.grainger.com/product/4XY14

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2021, 12:59:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think there are still some online, as I looked around before I posted that a while back - might have been $20 a set or something which I think is ridiculous, but I guess that is what people can get for them.

There are a lot of things that come and go, mainly because there are better products, so these fall more into the gimmick category than anything else.

you are very right - it was a retroactive desire that was fuelling my misguided wanting of these. I realize I am absolutely content with the 1-inch allen bolts that are holding my board to my trucks presently and need for nothing more. 

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2021, 03:33:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

you are very right - it was a retroactive desire that was fuelling my misguided wanting of these. I realize I am absolutely content with the 1-inch allen bolts that are holding my board to my trucks presently and need for nothing more.

The issue I remember is you couldn’t get em out again

Those enjoi bolts gave me a laugh I 100% remember what you guys were talking about with the paint just peeling

Edit

Bulk bolts probably go the 40 thieves - Ali baba
listen to cosmic psychos

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 612
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2021, 01:01:12 PM »
Are there any other companies which use a bigger bolt head like Indy does?
IG: @flowterspace

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2021, 03:23:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Nora’s hardware is nightmare fuel. I see this way too often on people’s boards at parks
[close]

You're one of those people bothered by hardware "too big" for a truck setup, huh? Lol

Did you see them shits? There’s an extra half inch or more sticking out. I bet her hangers rub her bolts when she carves hard enough. At least she doesn’t have to worry about wheelbite

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2021, 05:29:25 PM »
I've got the regular Shorty's 1 inch phillips.  Would be open to trying Hardies Hardware if it was more readily available.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2021, 06:19:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The issue I remember is you couldn’t get em out again

The easiest way was undo all the nuts and then just drop your board on the ground, then stand on it - they all pop straight up and out.

I used to laugh at seeing others not do this, but yeah there was really no other easy way to get them out.

Are there any other companies which use a bigger bolt head like Indy does?

Lots actually, which is funny because I stay away from the bigger heads mainly because they are often a bit more of a pain to get done up right.  By that I mean to get the heads down to just below grip line is a lot easier with small heads than with others like those Indy heads.  More of the generic variety use the bigger heads, so pretty much any brand that are more of a "free hardware with complete" option or the DIY brands "buy in bulk and put in your own packaging" type, as compared to some of the major companies who have everything mass produced with their own packaging from the manufacturing end.

Have a look next time you are in a skate shop, as most you can usually see easily enough, or at least feel through the packet.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2021, 06:29:52 PM »
Local brand/shop called Def has a hardware co called Grill Army, so I support them. They have the option of all black, silver or gold, or all black with one or two in silver or gold. I run 7/8 allen, seven black with one gold, front toe side, like it's a gold tooth.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.