Author Topic: The Bolts Thread  (Read 19523 times)

ish_wav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 96
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Bolts Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2021, 07:42:42 PM »
Does anyone remember when you could mix and match with Shortys hardware?

Shops could buy a small plastic container of loose bolts of each of the colours they wanted - the heads were painted in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, glow in the dark, etc. People can mix and match to get the specific number and colours they wanted.

Definitely marketing to make shops buy a ton more Shortys bolts, but it worked and there were lots of options, even having a swap in for the regulars, so people could get one or two specific colours of their choice to go with the normal black set in some places.

Definitely remember these. And the little container with pocket wax too!

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2021, 08:38:59 PM »
7/8" phillips modus

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2021, 10:45:49 PM »
Been running the same 6 Bronze bolts for the last few years.

What was the company that sold colored bolts in all types of weird colors where the paint would jam up the threads and it was a pain in the ass to get the nuts on? I worked at a shop 10-12 years ago and kids would come in just to buy the crazy colored hardware and it was always a pain. Mightve been distributed through Streetcorner?

wheee!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2021, 11:26:58 PM »

What was the company that sold colored bolts in all types of weird colors where the paint would jam up the threads and it was a pain in the ass to get the nuts on? I worked at a shop 10-12 years ago and kids would come in just to buy the crazy colored hardware and it was always a pain. Mightve been distributed through Streetcorner?

That would be your "Colorful little buddies" in the painted version as I have here and you can see how much paint there is on the heads.

They figured out they were a pain (only after how ever many million sets) and brought out the anodized version which work really well - like a normal bolt anyway - second pic.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2021, 11:42:50 PM »
black 1 inch allen for me. i use loctite on them as well now which i would highly recommend if you've ever battled with loose bolts ever sloppying your baseplate holes which has happened to me way too many times!
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2021, 01:12:36 AM »
Been running the same 6 Bronze Theeve bolts for the last few years.

Free is free and these things are still good, only lost one in 10 years

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2021, 02:06:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That would be your "Colorful little buddies" in the painted version as I have here and you can see how much paint there is on the heads.

They figured out they were a pain (only after how ever many million sets) and brought out the anodized version which work really well - like a normal bolt anyway - second pic.

Damn I had those first ones. They really sucked.
Only bolts I had that snapped. 1 snapped and towards the end of the day I had a spinning truck because only 1 was left. Also the heads were so small that they would dig so deep into the board. Terrible bolts.

Only other bolts I had that sucked were Shorty’s Lights. The Nuts were so thin that they were a pain in the ass to hold in place while tightening them. I remember hurting my knuckles because the tool would slip out and I would hit the top of the bolt. And I swear they didn’t stay as tight as other bolts.

Lately I’ve been riding Bronze 1” Allen bolts. I had the same set for like almost 3 years and the nylon was starting to get a bit loose, only reason I had to get a new set not long ago. Solid bolts!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2021, 02:20:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone remember when you could mix and match with Shortys hardware?

Shops could buy a small plastic container of loose bolts of each of the colours they wanted - the heads were painted in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, glow in the dark, etc. People can mix and match to get the specific number and colours they wanted.

Definitely marketing to make shops buy a ton more Shortys bolts, but it worked and there were lots of options, even having a swap in for the regulars, so people could get one or two specific colours of their choice to go with the normal black set in some places.

[close]

Definitely remember these. And the little container with pocket wax too!

The containers with bolts, when I actually looked for them and when empty were good for lots of things, including holding the pocket sized "Curb Candy" wax too.

Here you go, for the wax in its own container too.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 173
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2021, 03:27:19 AM »
I tend to go 1” because my illogical skate ocd lizard brain tells me that I’m less likely to have a nut fall off than 7/8”, were they to come loose without me noticing.

I’m in the same boat, I’m surprised at the number of 7/8ers in this thread. 1 inch just “feels” more secure. 1 inch till death.

Fuck all this Allen shit, though. Y’all are crazy.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2021, 10:54:02 AM »
Expand Quote
I tend to go 1” because my illogical skate ocd lizard brain tells me that I’m less likely to have a nut fall off than 7/8”, were they to come loose without me noticing.
[close]

I’m in the same boat, I’m surprised at the number of 7/8ers in this thread. 1 inch just “feels” more secure. 1 inch till death.

Ive thought about this, but as a non-silver tool user the extra wrist rotations always get to me

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2021, 12:42:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ive thought about this, but as a non-silver tool user the extra wrist rotations always get to me

Changing from Phillips to Allen was one of the best things I ever did. I see literally 0 benefits about Phillips bolts. The argument that “it’s easier to find a Phillips screwdriver” is only true if:
1 - You are Chase Gabor
2 - You are one of his hostages
No one ever has one of those when I’m skating and everyone has the little L shaped Allen tool somewhere, because it’s a small and convenient piece to carry around.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

GoldenGateHeights

• Rep: 16
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2021, 12:53:35 PM »
7/8 Allen, Usually Thunder, Diamond, or FTC.
All black with a silver or gold indicator on my back truck toe side.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2021, 01:10:06 PM »
Who has the connect on the helicopter bolts? I remember people talking about them here because they are indestructible

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2021, 01:13:15 PM »
I like 1" allen, as well. Have had more Philips strip on me, especially with the unit tool I use, probably a shitty Philips head and short with no leverage

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 173
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2021, 01:49:27 PM »
My distaste for Allen likely stems from the same silly argument dudes use when discussing circumcising their sons: “It just looks weird.” My first board had Phillips and any time I see Allen it just seems... off.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2021, 02:36:57 PM »
Black 7/8" Allen all day - non-thread after head or threaded - depends on what's cheapest/available.

Thunder, Shorty's (oh the pain used with Ventures) or Superior.

#phuckphillipshead

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2021, 03:13:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol was gonna say the same about Phillips - Surprised to see so many vouching for phillips tbh

1 inch is fine if your rocking risers but if not then having that excess thread sticking out is just weird & fucked up. I'm with Jamie Thomas - 7/8 allen key all day!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2021, 04:49:48 PM »
7/8 Phillips Lucky hardware. They come with mini dice and are $2~
1 inch Shorty’s Phillips + Lucky risers for cruiser and any setup with 55mm+ wheels

Sometimes I paint one of the bolts if I have solid black grip on a popsicle to indicate the nose & tail.

Nora’s hardware is nightmare fuel. I see this way too often on people’s boards at parks

Gives me late 80s flashbacks when I decided to say fuck risers (before it was the norm) as I always skated worn down old ass wheels...except we'd do the right thing and hacksaw those fuckers down...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 06:43:38 PM by Xen »

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2021, 09:53:06 PM »
they gotta be ALLEN 
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2021, 02:21:03 AM »
Allen, philips, who cares when we have much bigger fish to fry - still looking for black bolts that won't turn silver after one day. Word is Enjoi Gender Benders might be the one...

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2021, 02:37:03 AM »
Who has the connect on the helicopter bolts? I remember people talking about them here because they are indestructible

helicopter bolts?  ???
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2021, 02:59:23 AM »
i'm surprised no one has mentioned the allen/phillips combo bolts. i've never had them, i assume they're expensive or something. i don't really care.

i just have to say, i'm not really triggered by anything on slap, but seeing all the proponents of phillips bolts is vibing me out.

i thought allen was kind of a standard.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2021, 03:21:23 AM »

Not since Kewday bolts had different sized allen heads and then everything went pear shaped.  I still have half a dozen sets, but unless you have the smaller allen tool, the regular skate tool or allen key will not help.

That is the main reason I have a lot more phillips heads, but there are probably still more people asking for allen than phillips when it comes to setting up boards.

And the combo bolts scare people off mostly - it is kinda funny to show people and watch their faces.  They do work well though.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2021, 04:39:48 AM »
Yeah, i've only seen the combo bolts a few times in the wild.

I only remember having a different sized allen key once.

It was with a set of defiant {i think that's what it was named} bolts that I won in a comp. They made trucks i think? Chad bartie, trent fahey, i'm sure others skated for them, but that's all I remember - had a southern cross logo?

I feel like you're the only person who could answer this question Mr Brimson.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2021, 04:43:45 AM »
also, possibly a silly question as i know nothing about these things, but why are these the only options - did anyone ever make robertson head bolts, or flat head screwdriver bolts? not that i would want them, because allen keys are sacred skateboard tools to me.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2021, 06:50:56 AM »
i'm surprised no one has mentioned the allen/phillips combo bolts. i've never had them, i assume they're expensive or something. i don't really care.

i just have to say, i'm not really triggered by anything on slap, but seeing all the proponents of phillips bolts is vibing me out.

Enjoi makes them. They’re called “gender benders”. I’m sure someone is going to get offended by the name here soon, and they’ll have to change it. They’re only $4, so about middle of the road for hardware prices.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Enjoi_Gender_Bender_Phillips__Allen_Hardware/descpage-EIGBHW.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw9MuCBhBUEiwAbDZ-7lyWcGyCG7AD-UyFRJmEqKqH7jl9UiN9oH6ssLuMfcPKrSn09OWqlhoC5OIQAvD_BwE

greenreese

• Rep: 25
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2021, 08:52:26 AM »
7/8" Indy Phillips Head black w/ 2 silver.  Turn the nut, not the screw, you animals. 

I have one pair of black Thunder bolts with 2 blue.  The blue is hard to distinguish from the black when the light isn't good, but I kinda like how they sit a little lower than the Indys.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2021, 09:13:06 AM »
Whatever between 7/8 and 1"
I don't mind color, phillips, allen, etc.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2021, 01:19:04 PM »
Shorty's 7/8" allen for ....geez over 20 years. I think I had some Diamond Carroll 7/8" allen once in the last 5 years though

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2021, 01:21:10 PM »
Shake Junt 7/8 Allen (Reynolds colorway)