Author Topic: The Bolts Thread  (Read 19506 times)

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 333
Re: The Bolts Thread
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2021, 05:19:49 AM »
I've ridden 1" shorty's phillips without risers and 1-1/8" with 1/8" risers since I started skating. Need to see a few threads engaged in that nylock for peace of mind so that's why I go slightly longer on the bolts. New hardware each set-up, too.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2021, 03:39:19 PM »

I see you too have seen the light

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2021, 06:30:20 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274654295315?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I bought these, and they're pretty funky. Half the weight of normal bolts, much stronger, should last forever. ~2 dollars more than most hardware.

Edit: Forgot to add the unthreaded part is ever so thicker than Shorty's (the only hardware I buy, so I'm clueless about other brands). So your trucks won't slop around at all. :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 06:45:33 AM by PuffinMuffin »
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

CrackWhore2000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2021, 08:41:43 AM »
shorty's allen silverados since ~1990, 2 packs for 4 silvers.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 10:33:35 AM by CrackWhore2000 »

palach303

• Rep: 1
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2021, 03:28:55 PM »
I’ve been using the colored, supposedly anodized, Indy crossbolts. The color rubbed off the top within a week of use, but the main part and nut are still colored fine, assuming because they aren’t touched much.

Anyone else have this problem? Any way to restore that? I got the blue set but they’re all just chrome looking now. Could always paint them, but it wouldn’t look the same.
Ive been using the Indy hardware with black and 2 gold bolts. The golds are still like new, but the black is rubbing off. Dont think theres a reliable way of restoring them. Its fine and gets the job done, but I dont like the cross design on the heads, I prefer a simple look so I got some diamond hardware on ice for my next deck.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2021, 04:35:15 PM »
Home Depot has an Everbilt 8 pack of bolts+nuts 10-32 3/4" for $1.28. The nuts are lower profile so they work without risers like a 7/8" set would. They don't have nylock but I threw some Loctite on them, I don't think they'll come off. Will post pics when I can. I think they look excellent in all silver.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 07:41:29 PM by MysticalTypeExperience »

STAH

• Rep: 4
« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2021, 06:03:53 PM »
Phillips just seems to make more sense to me. everyone has a screw driver, its a much more practical tool than an Allen key. The bolts wont strip as long as you use the screw driver to hold the bolt in place and the skate tool to screw it in.

I don't have a preference on brand, although I seem to have a lot of Indy 7/8 Phillips bolts. Half of my set ups have 7/8 Allen bolts in then anyways so I'm clearly just grabbing what ever. I do have a set of 1 inch, and a set of 1 1/2 inch bolts for cruiser set ups with riser pads.

lately I keep having this problem where the grip tape squishes around my bolts when I screw them in. It's annoying for sure but I forget about it pretty quickly.

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2021, 06:05:38 PM »

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2021, 06:20:57 AM »
Might as well, since we're on topic:

http://waldskateboards.bigcartel.com/product/chopping-board-knife-kit

We've just released these hand shaped Cutting Boards, including our TORX bolts.

Let me know if anyone is interested, we have a special SLAP discount.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2021, 08:18:01 AM »
Home Depot has an Everbilt 8 pack of bolts+nuts 10-32 3/4" for $1.28. The nuts are lower profile so they work without risers like a 7/8" set would. They don't have nylock but I threw some Loctite on them, I don't think they'll come off. Will post pics when I can. I think they look excellent in all silver.

Just wanted to say these nuts were garbage. One of them completely stripped which transferring it to a different board. Failed experiment.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #160 on: December 09, 2021, 05:32:30 PM »
Said it before and will say it again.

You can buy boxes (or some smaller lots) of replacement nuts fairly easily from hardware wholesalers, from ebay or even from car part dealers.

They come in the normal height or the low heads and all work the same way.

I just got another lot of these, 200 nuts = 25 sets for skateboards, which worked out about 68 cents a set.

Qty 200 Jam Nyloc Nut 3/16" (10-32) UNF Zinc Plated Steel Grade 5 Lock Insert ZP

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182438925274

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 30
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2022, 03:35:49 PM »
It may have been asked or maybe not, but how does one remove hammer in bolts?

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2022, 03:51:04 PM »
Take nut and truck off, hammer back out.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2022, 03:36:45 AM »

Almost, but it is easier just to undo all the nuts which come off in the normal way, then take the truck off and then just drop the board on the ground.

They always just popped straight out.

One guy I knew would put the nuts back on and just hit it on a ledge or something and they would pop up, so he would never lose any or cause issues with the end of the threads.  He would also never need a hammer either, just putting them into the board, put the trucks on and tighten the nuts down to pull them through.

They would always leave such a distinctive star pattern in the deck bolt holes too, whenever I would see a board that used those sort of bolts.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2022, 08:49:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Almost, but it is easier just to undo all the nuts which come off in the normal way, then take the truck off and then just drop the board on the ground.

One guy I knew would put the nuts back on and just hit it on a ledge or something and they would pop up, so he would never lose any or cause issues with the end of the threads.  He would also never need a hammer either, just putting them into the board, put the trucks on and tighten the nuts down to pull them through.

They would always leave such a distinctive star pattern in the deck bolt holes too, whenever I would see a board that used those sort of bolts.

i was actually thinking about that, and came to the conclusion that the best way to get them out could be putting the board on the ground grip side up with the bolts in and then standing on it, no?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2022, 07:13:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i was actually thinking about that, and came to the conclusion that the best way to get them out could be putting the board on the ground grip side up with the bolts in and then standing on it, no?
That's how I used to do it.
To put them in id also just kinda do the opposite. Put the bolts in the holes put the trucks on and stand on it.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 454
« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2022, 11:38:53 AM »
For fans of hammer in bolts:

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2022, 08:06:46 PM »
Hammering bolts and them shifting and not lining up correctly would mess with me so hard.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2022, 11:09:37 AM »
Any clues with what to look out for with black bolts turning silver. Always skated girl bolts which never ever fade but now I can't get them. Was thinking diamond but heard they fade.

Is it only painted black bolts that fade?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2022, 11:14:02 AM »
Any clues with what to look out for with black bolts turning silver. Always skated girl bolts which never ever fade but now I can't get them. Was thinking diamond but heard they fade.

Shortys and Modus do this, annoying.

Thunders fade a bit, Superior stay black for a while; the crail bolts you rode stay pretty true; good bolts.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 01:47:11 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2022, 12:30:23 PM »
The only good is that they all match the two silver ones…..

I still like the low pro nuts and the sticker….

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1069
« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2022, 02:28:02 PM »

If you can find bender hardware they don’t fade. You can also DM them for nerdy questions.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2022, 02:52:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you can find bender hardware they don’t fade. You can also DM them for nerdy questions.

looks like they got em online currently - https://benderhardware.bigcartel.com/

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2022, 07:52:12 PM »
A paint marker does a great job at color coding your hardware, swap the color every few boards too.

Riding the Andele combi bolts at the moment, no complaints. The adonized colors are staying on pretty well.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2022, 03:42:28 AM »
A paint marker does a great job at color coding your hardware, swap the color every few boards too.

Riding the Andele combi bolts at the moment, no complaints. The adonized colors are staying on pretty well.

Those red combi or metalic blue allen heads don't seem to wear at all.

Almost sent you those ones, but I thought you would prefer a bit of Aussie Modus blue.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #175 on: May 31, 2022, 08:46:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Almost sent you those ones, but I thought you would prefer a bit of Aussie Modus blue.

Me rocking blue hardware is like Aussies getting dreadlocks while in Bali. Ok for a holiday, any longer and I'm getting stares from everyone back home.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2022, 04:32:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Me rocking blue hardware is like Aussies getting dreadlocks while in Bali. Ok for a holiday, any longer and I'm getting stares from everyone back home.

Ha yeah, I usually just grind off the blue leaving them silver topped, but prefer to just get silver (Silverados) or similar to start with.

Just running a single bolt between fingers upside down on moderately smooth concrete gets the paint off fairly well, but I have also used a blade to take the blue paint off as well.

I had quite a number of the blue ones left over that were unused / unwanted so ended up spraying the tops black and it worked well enough too.

mamba

• Rep: 142
  • Sucka free
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2022, 09:18:17 AM »

seconded for the Andale combo red bolts. Functionally good with both allen and phillips head. And most importantly the paint doesn’t wear away. Idk what other bolt companies are doing but it pisses me off when the colored bolts fade after a week of skating. especially if i’m getting hardies since they charge a premium for the brand.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2022, 12:37:49 PM »
If you are in SD Slappy's sells Lawn Chair, which has stayed black really well for me. No idea who else carries them. Cheap too.

petersmolik

« Reply #179 on: June 02, 2022, 03:06:57 PM »
If you’re in San Diego, Rose St sells Dawg bones hardware. Contact and Labor skate shop carries them as well. Based out of San Diego and I believe it’s sold also online Dawgboneshardware.com.