Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91273 times)

Sneezer1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #630 on: March 18, 2022, 08:10:45 PM »
thats a nollie back tail king

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody got slappy back tails? I watched that Brianna Delaney edit that Orchard spotlighted the other day and there's a slo-mowed back tail that made me think I might could get them too.
[close]

yeah but it's kinda more like a slappy 5-0 to back tail, it's hard as shit to sit on them, and hard to come out to forwards. I think the only way to make it not 5-0 to back tail would be to actually catch a miniscule amount of air from your back truck bashing the curb.
[close]

Jeremie Daclin does them on the Lyon tootsie roll. Obviously there's a tiny bit of tranny he uses like a qp, but I think this is the way to go. If you have a full 90 degree curb, you'll probably have to do a real 5050 slappy and turn into tail.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZHip9LBd84/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
[close]
The way Jeremie does them is what I was thinking. I'm fried and the clip I was thinking of wasn't slowed down but I hit it with the 0.25 and watched it at least 10 times. Here it is @0:16

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #631 on: March 19, 2022, 12:57:36 AM »
I got served the fuck up trying switch slappies after work today. Those may not be happening anytime soon, if ever….
Frontside or backside? Backside ones are fairly easy for me compared to frontside ones. Those only happen on good days

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #632 on: March 19, 2022, 06:22:37 AM »
I really just wish I had a garage workspace like that.

That’s my only takeaway from that video

Check if you have a hacker space/Worker space near you
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #633 on: March 19, 2022, 07:56:05 AM »
Expand Quote
I got served the fuck up trying switch slappies after work today. Those may not be happening anytime soon, if ever….
[close]
Frontside or backside? Backside ones are fairly easy for me compared to frontside ones. Those only happen on good days

Backside. Just terrified heading into the curb backwards, trying to bash and *not* lift my truck up feels super unnatural. Wasn’t having a great sesh anyway so will need to revisit later.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #634 on: March 19, 2022, 10:20:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Backside. Just terrified heading into the curb backwards, trying to bash and *not* lift my truck up feels super unnatural. Wasn’t having a great sesh anyway so will need to revisit later.
I’m the same way. Switch fronts are nothing, but switch backside is fucking terrifying. Can do them, but still freak every time I roll up backside.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #635 on: March 19, 2022, 10:33:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I’m the same way. Switch fronts are nothing, but switch backside is fucking terrifying. Can do them, but still freak every time I roll up backside.

Honestly it’s like relearning to skate

manysnakes

« Reply #636 on: March 19, 2022, 11:20:16 AM »
Switch slappys are wizardry to me. I tried to do a switch slappy crook and ended up covered in mud with a bruised wrist. I don't think I'm trying again.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 11:59:59 AM by manysnakes »

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #637 on: March 19, 2022, 11:52:41 AM »
Switch slappys are wizardry to me. I tried to do a switch slappy crook and ended up covered in bed with a bruised wrist. I don't think I'm trying again.
As solid as I have a standard (fs/bs) slappy, I can NOT get into them switch to save my life.
‘Course, I can’t do much of ANYTHING switch, so THAT could be my problem right there.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #638 on: March 19, 2022, 04:06:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Switch slappys are wizardry to me. I tried to do a switch slappy crook and ended up covered in bed with a bruised wrist. I don't think I'm trying again.
[close]
As solid as I have a standard (fs/bs) slappy, I can NOT get into them switch to save my life.
‘Course, I can’t do much of ANYTHING switch, so THAT could be my problem right there.

Nothing worse than getting tossed trying to roll off a small ledge switch at a park while some 12 year old switch flips the 7

doublesteveburger

« Reply #639 on: March 21, 2022, 02:10:10 PM »
i can't for the life of me get backside slappies down but frontside ones are a breeze lately

foot placement?

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #640 on: March 21, 2022, 02:15:49 PM »
Front slappies come easy to me but I'm scared of them back is all I can do. Back slappies feel like a wall ride to me both of my feet are in the pockets and i lighten my feet and jump on, hang on for the ride and turn off.

I only have a slappie sesh once every 3 months I need to pick that up a little

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #641 on: March 21, 2022, 02:30:09 PM »
i can't for the life of me get backside slappies down but frontside ones are a breeze lately

foot placement?
I would say get confident on slappy crooks first. Helped me atleast for both regular and switch bs slappies.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #642 on: March 21, 2022, 02:36:14 PM »
So I did another section of this terrible curb I've been skating. I did the first section without a rub brick, just Clear enamel and wax, Second section I rub bricked thoroughly, two coats of clear enamel, and then a nice coat of wax and it made such a big difference. It honestly slides/grinds better than some skatepark ledges, it's icy.

This was sort of a test curb, I wanted to work on my skills before making a better curb spot (with better ground ideally). However, just wanted to post results for anyone considering putting in a bit of effort on their curb. For a $20 investment (Rub Brick and can of Enamel or Lacquer) you can make almost any curb good I think.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #643 on: March 21, 2022, 03:10:28 PM »
First slaps of the year on Saturday. There was snow and water so almost no run up and it was dirtier than frig, but very satisfying.

Trashcanslumberparty

• Rep: 2
« Reply #644 on: March 21, 2022, 05:56:56 PM »
Frontside slappies are the bomb.com  ;) backside is cool too, but it does not have the same surfy feeling. Bashing up a curb frontside makes me feel epic.

animalflesh

« Reply #645 on: April 11, 2022, 09:06:59 AM »
Bump

dakotalofton

• Rep: -21
  • Nothing I say you will like
    • YOUTUBE avatar image
« Reply #646 on: April 11, 2022, 09:23:15 AM »
All my friends are pretty good at slappy's and can do multiple tricks, but they cant SW FS slappy 50 the curb and that comes really easy to me easier than regular? Does anyone else seem to do switch FS easier ?
****IF YOU DON'T FUCK WITH BRONZE56K YOU WHACK AS FUCK****

skunty

• Rep: 75
« Reply #647 on: April 11, 2022, 11:04:07 AM »
Bump

I've found that propping parking blocks up like that leads to them cracking fairly quickly, but if you put a some support under it in the middle that helps a lot.

animalflesh

« Reply #648 on: April 11, 2022, 01:24:44 PM »
Yeah somebody else did it I just rolled up to this spot randomly

But that’s true

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #649 on: April 11, 2022, 06:16:00 PM »
Bump

Sweet. I’ll contribute some really old trash. Haven’t broken out the sad dad cam in a long time.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #650 on: May 09, 2022, 11:30:31 AM »
is a dust mask good enough for rub brick concrete dusk? or should i really be using a n95? i try not to breathe in at all when i am doing this shit and i have done like 8 spots now i wnat to say in like 12 months i really need to start looking into proper respirators maybe?

Spectre

• Rep: -40
« Reply #651 on: May 09, 2022, 04:45:59 PM »
I heard ace is better than indy for slappies...can anyone confirm if this is true?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #652 on: May 09, 2022, 04:59:07 PM »
I heard ace is better than indy for slappies...can anyone confirm if this is true?

I don't think either are "better" per se. I could see people really liking Aces because the turn is so deep, you can carve really hard into slappies at the last second. Personally, I prefer Indy because that's what I primarily skate and when I tried Ace AF1s, my timing was off because I wasn't used to them so it took me a while to relearn my slappies.

I do think the grind on Indy is better than Ace AF1s but that's just my experience.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #653 on: May 09, 2022, 05:06:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't think either are "better" per se. I could see people really liking Aces because the turn is so deep, you can carve really hard into slappies at the last second. Personally, I prefer Indy because that's what I primarily skate and when I tried Ace AF1s, my timing was off because I wasn't used to them so it took me a while to relearn my slappies.

I do think the grind on Indy is better than Ace AF1s but that's just my experience.

Grinds on Ace Classics are better than AF1 IMO

manysnakes

« Reply #654 on: May 09, 2022, 05:13:02 PM »
is a dust mask good enough for rub brick concrete dusk? or should i really be using a n95? i try not to breathe in at all when i am doing this shit and i have done like 8 spots now i wnat to say in like 12 months i really need to start looking into proper respirators maybe?

Definitely use an N95 or a respirator.

manysnakes

« Reply #655 on: May 09, 2022, 05:14:18 PM »

Ace Classic was definitely the best grinding truck I've ever skated, but also the quality control is pretty poor and I ended up with two deeply bent hangers that Ace warrantied for me.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #656 on: May 09, 2022, 05:49:01 PM »
I actually learned slappy crooks not too long ago. Between that and slappy noseslide, its all I can do :)
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #657 on: May 09, 2022, 10:35:59 PM »
I actually learned slappy crooks not too long ago. Between that and slappy noseslide, its all I can do :)

I learned slappy crooks to fakie but now I have spent many hours trying to get them to regular but just got one once. Still trying to figure out how to get of the curb.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 42
« Reply #658 on: May 10, 2022, 01:17:48 AM »
Slappy feeble to regular and fakie are both pretty easy/satisfying if you've got a good double sided curb around
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #659 on: May 10, 2022, 04:33:49 AM »
I used a non filtered "Dust Mask" yesterday and while it is definitely better than nothing, I still breathed in some shit. gonna scoop some n95s today from work

this curb is free as fuck for slappy. might as well be a quarter pipe, just ride right up it. cant believe how easy it was to get on that switch (i suck at switch)