Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91239 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #660 on: May 10, 2022, 04:34:32 AM »
Expand Quote
I actually learned slappy crooks not too long ago. Between that and slappy noseslide, its all I can do :)
[close]

I learned slappy crooks to fakie but now I have spent many hours trying to get them to regular but just got one once. Still trying to figure out how to get of the curb.

Crooks getting out forwards:

Try a few really basic (not really popped) nollie shifty type movements to your toe side, where first you just pivot out on the back truck after you pushed with the front foot, if that makes sense.

Key is pushing a touch forward with your front foot which brings you out away from the curb, but keeping weight over the back heel side so the board doesn't tip over as you try to exit.

Hopefully that made sense, but I can send you a video if you like too, or someone else will most likely have a video of it you can watch in slo mo.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Spectre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -40
« Reply #661 on: May 10, 2022, 04:42:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies mates. I'll take it all in consideration.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #662 on: May 10, 2022, 09:28:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I actually learned slappy crooks not too long ago. Between that and slappy noseslide, its all I can do :)
[close]

I learned slappy crooks to fakie but now I have spent many hours trying to get them to regular but just got one once. Still trying to figure out how to get of the curb.
[close]

Crooks getting out forwards:

Try a few really basic (not really popped) nollie shifty type movements to your toe side, where first you just pivot out on the back truck after you pushed with the front foot, if that makes sense.

Key is pushing a touch forward with your front foot which brings you out away from the curb, but keeping weight over the back heel side so the board doesn't tip over as you try to exit.

Hopefully that made sense, but I can send you a video if you like too, or someone else will most likely have a video of it you can watch in slo mo.

Cheers bruh, I think I know what you mean but if you have a clip it would be helpful. 
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #663 on: May 10, 2022, 09:48:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies mates. I'll take it all in consideration.

if you're looking for the best set up to learn slappies, just use whatever you're used to riding. Switching trucks (if you normally ride indy but want to switch to ace or vice versa) will likely make it harder. Just keep your trucks a bit loose, keep your feet on the bolts, and carve into it.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #664 on: May 12, 2022, 12:01:24 AM »
Does anyone have any tips/advice on fs slappy noseslides? I can get it sliding but always end falling forward up on my chest with the board shooting out behind me at a rate of knots

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #665 on: May 12, 2022, 12:12:00 AM »
Does anyone have any tips/advice on fs slappy noseslides? I can get it sliding but always end falling forward up on my chest with the board shooting out behind me at a rate of knots

I'm not very good at front noseslides, but something that helps for me is looking behind you so you're not totally blind during the slide.

I've been having some issues with my wax. Weather's been getting better over here but my wax seems to hold up bad during warm weather. The candle I use feels like it's melting and starts flaking all over the place. When I grind it my trucks will just scrape the warm wax off and get gunked up real bad. Normally the wax works very well but I'm starting to wonder if there's wax out there that can handle the sun better.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Ride it to dust

« Reply #666 on: May 12, 2022, 12:35:45 AM »
Thanks for the tip i will try that out. Same thing happens to me on fs board so must be partly how im postured too/ bending knees (or not).

Ive just bought some homemade wax  on ebayfrom someone called “altskates” here in uk. Its strange, feels like its going on all sticky and that it would be shit but then slides like butter! Can’t really comment on how temperature affects it as we get the odd 20 degree day but mostly between 15-19 degrees here right now.

buttchin

• Rep: 18
« Reply #667 on: May 12, 2022, 12:51:36 AM »

sorry for the layman's terms trick tip; what helps me with fs noseslides on curbs (and ledges or anything in general) is to think of it as a fs boardslide, in terms of how to maneuver your arms and body to stay on and slide behind you on it.  also the pinch with your toes on it, while locking in and do not drag your heel when you get on, or you'll stall or eat shit going fast

Ride it to dust

« Reply #668 on: May 12, 2022, 05:19:25 AM »
Thanks for that mate i will try that technique with a straighter posture as i think im leaning too far forward when getting on which would tie in with what you mentioned with manouvering your body and arms like a front board

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #669 on: May 12, 2022, 08:04:53 AM »

For me, I always need to remember to keep my knees much more bent than my normal riding stance, sort of like I’m ready to pop an Ollie. Once I’m sliding, having that lower center of gravity just helps me balance on it. When I’m standing up too straight my board shoots straight out like your describing

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #670 on: May 12, 2022, 12:30:55 PM »
Been doing fs nose for the last couple of weeks, then I did it on a ledge and can do it like every time. Much harder on curbs cause 1. So low and 2. Not as much time to complete the turn out, I always hit my toe on the ledge. Someone on here said for front rocks they keep their eye on their back foot, that helps with the turn out. And extending the front arm out over your front foot helps with slide/balance.

Ride it to dust

« Reply #671 on: May 12, 2022, 12:34:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For me, I always need to remember to keep my knees much more bent than my normal riding stance, sort of like I’m ready to pop an Ollie. Once I’m sliding, having that lower center of gravity just helps me balance on it. When I’m standing up too straight my board shoots straight out like your describing

I will definitely try and bend the knees more, makes perfect sense. I think it could be a big contributor to the slipping out. Thanks man

Ride it to dust

« Reply #672 on: May 12, 2022, 12:40:57 PM »
Been doing fs nose for the last couple of weeks, then I did it on a ledge and can do it like every time. Much harder on curbs cause 1. So low and 2. Not as much time to complete the turn out, I always hit my toe on the ledge. Someone on here said for front rocks they keep their eye on their back foot, that helps with the turn out. And extending the front arm out over your front foot helps with slide/balance.

Will try all these tips, thankyou mate!
Fs nose and front boards have been the bain for a while now. Used to be able to do them on lower ledges. Will give it a try on the weekend, hopefully uk weather plays ball

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #673 on: May 24, 2022, 03:57:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm not very good at front noseslides, but something that helps for me is looking behind you so you're not totally blind during the slide.

I've been having some issues with my wax. Weather's been getting better over here but my wax seems to hold up bad during warm weather. The candle I use feels like it's melting and starts flaking all over the place. When I grind it my trucks will just scrape the warm wax off and get gunked up real bad. Normally the wax works very well but I'm starting to wonder if there's wax out there that can handle the sun better.

It's wild to me when people act like all wax is created equally and using anything other than a random candle is "a scam".

Maybe I'm just lucky to have been introduced to homemade wax as soon as I started skating.

Someone in my neighborhood made some bizarre wax that had sections with different types of wax within the same bar. I remember one section was really greasy (I believe it had some sort of drawing oil pastels mixed in to that section). It was really soft and offered a nice mix up.

By comparison I've used really hard flakey candles that really don't work for skating.

I've had decent luck with skate wax sold at skate shops... But there is also variance within those.

I don't have any specific advice aside from trying different wax, buying some homemade wax online, or doing some research and making your own. I'm sure there are some worthwhile DIY wax guides online from the early 2000s if you look for them.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

animalflesh

« Reply #674 on: May 24, 2022, 09:39:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I will definitely try and bend the knees more, makes perfect sense. I think it could be a big contributor to the slipping out. Thanks man

I recommend power sliding in all 4 wheels on the ground when you hit it

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #675 on: May 24, 2022, 10:03:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's wild to me when people act like all wax is created equally and using anything other than a random candle is "a scam".

Maybe I'm just lucky to have been introduced to homemade wax as soon as I started skating.

Someone in my neighborhood made some bizarre wax that had sections with different types of wax within the same bar. I remember one section was really greasy (I believe it had some sort of drawing oil pastels mixed in to that section). It was really soft and offered a nice mix up.

By comparison I've used really hard flakey candles that really don't work for skating.

I've had decent luck with skate wax sold at skate shops... But there is also variance within those.

I don't have any specific advice aside from trying different wax, buying some homemade wax online, or doing some research and making your own. I'm sure there are some worthwhile DIY wax guides online from the early 2000s if you look for them.

on a rainy day i will melt a candle down add some oil/grease whatever spare cooking oil and various fun fluids from the garage. probably slightly toxic or whatever but its fun and makes a difference (sitting on top of the ledge vs being worked into the concrete)
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #676 on: May 24, 2022, 10:53:06 AM »
Off topic but probably reaching the right people here:
What's the best way to get wax off my metal rail? Recently took it to a skatepark that doesn't have a rail and somebody put some really bad sticky wax on it. My first guess would be alcohol but maybe that would make it even worse.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #677 on: May 24, 2022, 10:56:59 AM »
I have no idea…instead I run around ranting, raving and blaming everyone…..like Reda and the mystery water…

Who did it?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #678 on: May 24, 2022, 10:58:36 AM »
What's the best way to get wax off my metal rail? Recently took it to a skatepark that doesn't have a rail and somebody put some really bad sticky wax on it. My first guess would be alcohol but maybe that would make it even worse.

I keep a scraper from the hardware store in my kit exactly for this. To be honest, Heat is going to be best but getting a hair dryer (or flamethrower) to the park isn't super reasonable.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #679 on: May 24, 2022, 11:16:22 AM »

A little late, but I'm one of the weird ones that can do fs noseslides but not bs. For me, key is looking at the pinky toe side of your front foot during the slide. Helps keep your weight more on top of the board and once you get used to it you can really throw your weight back and get a nice long slide.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #680 on: May 24, 2022, 11:41:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A little late, but I'm one of the weird ones that can do fs noseslides but not bs. For me, key is looking at the pinky toe side of your front foot during the slide. Helps keep your weight more on top of the board and once you get used to it you can really throw your weight back and get a nice long slide.

Same here. That turn onto bs noseslide just makes no sense to me. Every once in a while i'll have a slappy crook end up as a noseslide, but that's about it.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #681 on: May 24, 2022, 12:18:08 PM »
i find for either nose slide its all about coming as paralell as possible to the curb and then turnin in super suddenly. where a slappy 5050 i almost want to come perpendicular.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #682 on: May 24, 2022, 12:20:39 PM »
i find for either nose slide its all about coming as paralell as possible to the curb and then turnin in super suddenly. where a slappy 5050 i almost want to come perpendicular.

Totally. And it looks so easy. But when I’m riding up to that curb, that frontside 90 turn onto a bs noseslide is the scariest thing in the world for some reason

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #683 on: May 24, 2022, 01:10:10 PM »
You can come in at more perpendicular and just slap it up there. If you put enough weight on your front foot it’ll slide. I do either but when I was learning switch bs nose I usually didn’t bother with the turn.

skunty

• Rep: 75
« Reply #684 on: May 24, 2022, 01:23:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if you can come out to fakie, just pivot back to forwards before your front wheels hit the ground. it'll get your body used to staying forwards, and from there it'll be easier to pop straight out forwards. usually the beginning of the sesh my dismount is more pivotty, but the decent pop out comes back after a few goes

disclosed

• Rep: 186
« Reply #685 on: May 24, 2022, 01:47:03 PM »
ive been trying crooks for a couple sessions (like the whole session). and ive grinded a solid crook grove into my truck. but i have yet to actually land one. i just cant get out of them. will never get why everyone here in my city can do slappy crooks but not a simple 50-50.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #686 on: May 24, 2022, 02:23:47 PM »
ive been trying crooks for a couple sessions (like the whole session). and ive grinded a solid crook grove into my truck. but i have yet to actually land one. i just cant get out of them. will never get why everyone here in my city can do slappy crooks but not a simple 50-50.

I feel you. Getting out to regular is very hard, I spent three or four Sundays only to get one or two sketchy ones. It’s way easier getting out of them to fakie. They are also easier of a parking block when you can just drop of it and don‘t have to pop out.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #687 on: May 24, 2022, 06:54:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I keep a scraper from the hardware store in my kit exactly for this. To be honest, Heat is going to be best but getting a hair dryer (or flamethrower) to the park isn't super reasonable.
Scraper will do it. Be sure to tell them you don’t wax metal coping. Ever.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #688 on: May 24, 2022, 08:12:34 PM »

In the same boat. I can slappy 50 and nosegrind and Smith but can't for the life of me do a slappy crook

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #689 on: May 25, 2022, 06:58:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Scraper will do it. Be sure to tell them you don’t wax metal coping. Ever.

lot of guys probably see felipe gustavo or nigel waxing rails and thought they needed to follow suit