Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91236 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #1050 on: November 28, 2022, 04:31:06 PM »
the front crook is the only slappy that eludes me now. its the only one where i cant get past ‘i really am about to just ride into this curb head on huh..’  ive played with it a couple times and i cant get out of my head. maybe id have better luck not trying it on a double sided curb first?

Yeah, it's definitely scary on a double sided curb, that's what I learned on. For me, it really started working when i came into it crouching a lot lower than I normally do, that way you can really unweight as that front truck meets the curb.

But yeah you absolutely can't think about grinding, you have to think about riding directly into and onto the curb and worry about the grind second. it's a mind fuck

streetmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #1051 on: November 29, 2022, 12:27:44 PM »
one of my curbs wouldnt release from my mold awhile ago and the end chipped off but i put it along side a rail trail in my hood. might get some use…who knows!

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #1052 on: November 29, 2022, 01:22:38 PM »
who’s got the switch slappy crook cheat code

Push your front foot (switch foot) out in front of you a little more than you would for a regular Slappy crook. Maybe angle the front foot a little more and hang the heel off a little more too. But keep your back foot square across the tail for coming out. Most your weight will be on your front foot and when you get in lean back a little with your upper body. Experiment with different foot positions, weight distribution, and pressure points on the board.

For front crooks the foot position is kind of the opposite, front foot square across the nose and toe hanging off more than you think. Back foot on tail but when you get into the grind your back foot should be propped up on your toes (at least it is for me). This back foot position will help you pivot out (I’m still at that stage too). Think of coming out like the opposite of a normal Slappy crook, all your pressure is going to be on the exact opposite side of the board.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
« Reply #1053 on: November 29, 2022, 05:34:17 PM »
one of my curbs wouldnt release from my mold awhile ago and the end chipped off but i put it along side a rail trail in my hood. might get some use…who knows!

Looks great shape wise, just the right amount of angle on the sides.

Get hungry on it!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #1054 on: November 29, 2022, 10:18:11 PM »
What‘s the secret to get up on vertical curbs? Inclining the board while approaching?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #1055 on: November 29, 2022, 11:46:57 PM »
What‘s the secret to get up on vertical curbs? Inclining the board while approaching?

In Europe we don't really get good slanted curbs, so all I skate is a vertical curb. Just make yourself light on your feet when you're gonna hit the curb, then apply the rest of your 'normal' slappy technique and grind it out.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1056 on: November 30, 2022, 12:01:16 AM »

There’s kind of a blind faith bonk for tall sheer face curbs, that’s at least how it feels on the tall one at my favourite spot. Dead on 90 degree curbs are a tricky motherfucker in its own right

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #1057 on: November 30, 2022, 02:24:07 AM »
Anyone else around here prefer cross locked 50s? I don't like the way it looks because my back wheel is almost touching the ground when doing it on a curb. But it just feels so much better, heel-locked feels like I'm just riding it out instead of doing a proper grind.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

streetmeat

« Reply #1058 on: November 30, 2022, 03:50:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Looks great shape wise, just the right amount of angle on the sides.

well you're local to it, go hit it :)

lkravitz

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1059 on: November 30, 2022, 03:50:41 AM »
Anyone else around here prefer cross locked 50s? I don't like the way it looks because my back wheel is almost touching the ground when doing it on a curb. But it just feels so much better, heel-locked feels like I'm just riding it out instead of doing a proper grind.

cross locks are actually harder for me, I prefer toe side locks since im heel heavy

streetmeat

« Reply #1060 on: November 30, 2022, 04:07:13 AM »

any time i end up in a cross lock on a curb i actually feel more unstable, especially on a double sided curb.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1061 on: November 30, 2022, 07:26:41 AM »
depends on the trucks, depends on the curb
for this type of spot, i really liked the setup i have for it. i tried lots of different stuff.

https://streamable.com/72z6kj

the grass is dug out a bit on the other side of the curb. what i am doing here is pinching the back truck on the inner corner, and pinching the front truck on the outer corner. this seems to be the most consistent way for me to stay on the grind as long as possible while maintaining a lot of speed. i think its actually better to pinch it the opposite way, with the back truck on the outer edge, and the front truck on the inner, that makes popping out a lot easier.

when i tried with smaller trucks, this pinch is a lot harder, but still possible. i thought maybe if i just got in really good heel or toe locks i could grind forever, but because its a bit slanted i think you will always fall off eventually. was trying with 139s and 144s.

when i went with bigger trucks (169s) the trucks actually eat the entire width of the curb. i thought that would be really good, but it turns out you lose all your speed really fast bceause so mcuh metal is making contact with the curb. also, to get out, you need snap a really big ollie out, but its hard because you are ollieing just off trucks but since you are straight on its harder to get yourself away from the curb because you dont have that edge pushing you off like you normally do. its very easy to catch a wheel and slam on exit.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1062 on: November 30, 2022, 07:35:53 AM »

My backside slappies are cross locked and I have the grooves to prove it. Frontside are heel side. Not really a choice just how I do them

If I want to get my back truck fully on backside, I have to consciously slide my back truck all the way up onto the curb

IpathCats

« Reply #1063 on: November 30, 2022, 07:49:51 AM »
Artisan Skateparks recently finished the last phase of the Salisbury MD skatepark. In which there is a coffin shaped slappy curb thing with a ledge on the other side. The curb side is pretty tall (8ish inches?) but slanted just enough to make it reasonably slappy-able. Artisan does great work and the finish/cure on the curb was great. I really enjoyed it. Wife and I took the dogs on a short camping trip in our van last weekend to pocomoke forest and stopped by the skatepark on the way.

manysnakes

« Reply #1064 on: November 30, 2022, 09:05:00 AM »

I find that round wheels and a steeper angle to attack help.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1065 on: November 30, 2022, 09:59:38 AM »
for vertical curbs i find fs slappy a lot easier than bs. you have to be a lot more aggressive to get up on 2 wheels on a bs carve because its on your toes to push it down which is harder than on your heels. if the curb has any sort of slant to it, its a lot easier to "cheat" and just ride right onto it.

IpathCats

« Reply #1066 on: November 30, 2022, 10:10:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I find that round wheels and a steeper angle to attack help.

Rounder fatter larger wheels, sharper angle, looser trucks

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1067 on: November 30, 2022, 10:16:42 AM »
Artisan Skateparks recently finished the last phase of the Salisbury MD skatepark. In which there is a coffin shaped slappy curb thing with a ledge on the other side. The curb side is pretty tall (8ish inches?) but slanted just enough to make it reasonably slappy-able. Artisan does great work and the finish/cure on the curb was great. I really enjoyed it. Wife and I took the dogs on a short camping trip in our van last weekend to pocomoke forest and stopped by the skatepark on the way.

Artisan build great parks. Sometimes a bit too flow-section focused for my tastes but they always include cool shit. They're building a park in my town that's looking really nice and straight forward. Lots of ledges and a big bank to slappy  ;D

IpathCats

« Reply #1068 on: November 30, 2022, 10:35:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Artisan build great parks. Sometimes a bit too flow-section focused for my tastes but they always include cool shit. They're building a park in my town that's looking really nice and straight forward. Lots of ledges and a big bank to slappy  ;D

I love their stuff, im not much of a transition/flow guy either, but they usually have enough street to satisfy me. I like that they dont take a super cookie cutter approach. Their parks are fairly unique/individual

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1069 on: November 30, 2022, 02:16:23 PM »
Thanks guys, I‘ll try the steeper angle and making myself light…
why come?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1070 on: December 09, 2022, 08:37:17 AM »
has anyone ever used this stuff? might give this a go to fix up my spot.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/quikrete-quick-setting-cement-4-5kg/1000129717

its kinda expensive but it looks like it would fix up chunks REALLY well, and it also says fast curing which is good. i like the container it is stored in too cause i dont need a whole shit load at the moment.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #1071 on: December 09, 2022, 08:53:31 AM »

its kinda expensive but it looks like it would fix up chunks REALLY well, and it also says fast curing which is good. i like the container it is stored in too cause i dont need a whole shit load at the moment.
I was coming here to ask how to fix curb cracks. I have a spot I think I could improve

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #1072 on: December 15, 2022, 10:49:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I was coming here to ask how to fix curb cracks. I have a spot I think I could improve

Steel stick works very well

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/automotive-rv-and-marine/auto-tools-and-maintenance/automotive-adhesives/8167629?store=17614&gbraid=0AAAAADtqLJFmU7f72DeOlAURTxHYN-6jY&gbraid=0AAAAADtqLJFmU7f72DeOlAURTxHYN-6jY&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqOucBhDrARIsAPCQL1bAoPl__yNKXRGWKfVDpMQTRmXUvw4ADlTJfhUpAhtcWMAdgk6iNoIaAulIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1073 on: December 16, 2022, 10:05:10 PM »

Cross lock the earth.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #1074 on: December 17, 2022, 04:09:38 AM »

I have used this before and it works well, make sure you remove residual wax from the curb and use concrete adhesive and you should be good to go..

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1075 on: January 02, 2023, 08:01:25 AM »
I figured out slappy front crooks to regular today. The single most important tip for getting out of slappy crooks to regular was posted on Slap but I just want to post it again because it is buried somewhere:

For backside crooks to regular your backfoot needs to be in the heel pocket, for frontside crooks, in the toe pocket, in a really exaggerated manner that will feel strange and uncomfortable. For bs, only your toes stay on the board, with the rest of the foot hanging of. For fs, only the heel stays on the board, with the toes hanging of. I suck at physics but quite magically, this gives you the leverage to just slip/slide of the curb naturally once you start losing speed/traction on the curb.
why come?

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #1076 on: January 02, 2023, 11:22:24 AM »
I figured out slappy front crooks to regular today. The single most important tip for getting out of slappy crooks to regular was posted on Slap but I just want to post it again because it is buried somewhere:

For backside crooks to regular your backfoot needs to be in the heel pocket, for frontside crooks, in the toe pocket, in a really exaggerated manner that will feel strange and uncomfortable. For bs, only your toes stay on the board, with the rest of the foot hanging of. For fs, only the heel stays on the board, with the toes hanging of. I suck at physics but quite magically, this gives you the leverage to just slip/slide of the curb naturally once you start losing speed/traction on the curb.

Where do you distribute your weight for the FS crooks?
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1077 on: January 02, 2023, 12:05:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I try to lean back and push that grind with my front foot, that way I’m usually able to pop out regular and if I’m ”sitting” on that gring all my weight on front truck it’s easier to turn fakie.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1078 on: January 02, 2023, 01:36:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I try to lean back and push that grind with my front foot, that way I’m usually able to pop out regular and if I’m ”sitting” on that gring all my weight on front truck it’s easier to turn fakie.

Yeah definitely heavy on the front foot, the back foot doesn‘t do much but if it is in the right place before you hit the curb it will guide the board in the right direction.
why come?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1079 on: January 02, 2023, 02:26:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My back foot is barely even on when I do front crooks, all the weight goes on that front foot until you're ready to pop out and you transfer your weight back to the rear leg...