Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91208 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #1200 on: July 11, 2023, 03:21:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Ok I give up, what’s the secret to slappy smith grinds? They’re driving me nuts. I can get into them but they go nowhere
[close]

there was some discussion here: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=126344.0
Thanks! I’ll try to apply some of this

Unrelated- my friend talked me into learning slappy Willy grinds and I’m obsessed. They look stupid but they’re so fun, especially if you 180 out.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1201 on: July 11, 2023, 03:44:01 PM »
How do you prep an unpainted curb for slappies?  Wax just the grind/slide area? Or do you wax the entire front surface of the curb.  Wondering if an unpainted front surface would make it harder to climb up.  I found a curb I want to adopt as my own but it’s completely unpainted and dry

This is a skate buddy of mine who preps all our curbs at the spot, glossiest curbs I’ve ever skated

the kook

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1202 on: July 13, 2023, 10:31:35 AM »
my city have a courthouse with some sick marble stairs to slappy, they have gotten quite worn over time, the spot is the main skater hangout in the city. we also have a super solid granite curb in the parkig lot of an office. never gotten kicked out, just some cars in the way during business hours. will be looking into refurbishing a double sided curb. it have been skated before, but have been forgotten.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1203 on: July 25, 2023, 07:17:12 AM »
Supperfun diy curb someone made and left at the local curb spot. Looks like a braided pretzel.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvGjY8mps4D/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

manysnakes

« Reply #1204 on: July 25, 2023, 08:20:16 AM »
i know it's been repeated like dogma on here but you really don't need to put lacquer or clearcoat on a curb to skate it. just rub brick then wax.

Why wouldn't you use lacquer or a sealant of some kind? Why work harder in order to accomplish the same thing?

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1205 on: July 25, 2023, 08:45:54 AM »
Exactly, if you want the curb to last you should be sealing it semi regularly. It rains a ton here and exposed concrete with no sealant just erodes.
Once you’ve grinded away the paint and it starts to chip out it breaks down quickly.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1206 on: July 25, 2023, 09:08:04 AM »
Expand Quote
i know it's been repeated like dogma on here but you really don't need to put lacquer or clearcoat on a curb to skate it. just rub brick then wax.
[close]

Why wouldn't you use lacquer or a sealant of some kind? Why work harder in order to accomplish the same thing?
Don’t have any and too lazy to go buy some

manysnakes

« Reply #1207 on: July 25, 2023, 09:14:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Don’t have any and too lazy to go buy some

ok

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1208 on: July 25, 2023, 09:56:55 AM »
Really bummed about my local Slappy spot. For whatever reason someone went in with tons of spray clearcoat and clearcoated the sidewalks and right over already waxed/sauced curbs. They don't seem to actually know how to get things going. This plus constant trash attracted San Diego MTA security to the place.

Last week there were 2 of them in the parking lot waiting for skaters and I was the lucky subject. They told me to leave and as I was leaving I noted that it is not posted that skateboarding is forbidden and that we skate in the far corner of the lot and it has kept sketchy people away. The rent-a-cop tried to tell me that it was private property, but I quickly proved that MTA is actually one of the oldest public transit agencies in the state and that it is public property with no city ordinances against skateboarding. The cops then showed up, actually took my side on the loitering charges, which made the rent-a-cops more combative. They now have pics of both my cars and even if they can't cite me have been posted up every weekday morning I have driven by.

So why did they randomly get so aggressive? Because of the fuckwads who decided they needed to clearcoat 18" of sidewalk next to the curbs and put their shitty stickers all over things. This spot was my staple as it is 6-7min from my house and was always hassle free, but now I'm sketched to go solo.

manysnakes

« Reply #1209 on: July 25, 2023, 10:10:50 AM »
Really bummed about my local Slappy spot. For whatever reason someone went in with tons of spray clearcoat and clearcoated the sidewalks and right over already waxed/sauced curbs. They don't seem to actually know how to get things going. This plus constant trash attracted San Diego MTA security to the place.

Tragedy of the commons. Something similar happened to my little slappy spot. I've been going to the same place for almost a decade, since it was literally right around the corner from my work. After Covid, the spot suddenly blew up and many new people showed up. They dug out everything around every curbs, slowly killing the trees planted in the medians, and for a while there was a non-stop parade of skaters applying more and more and more lacquer to a curb which was too slick to touch with your foot lest you slip and eat shit.

It's not so much that it's a bust as that now it's absolutely littered with trash and graffiti, what little beauty and shade that existed in this discarded piece of automobile infrastructure has died out, and it seems like few people skate there anymore.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1210 on: July 25, 2023, 10:55:51 AM »
I was just at that spot the other day. It’s been a bust since last year. Clearcoating the sidewalk seemed a bit excessive but it was grinding better than before. I don’t think that was skater trash- I’m pretty sure skaters didn’t leave the giant human poop log that was there on the sidewalk when I went one evening.

That underground parking garage in UTC getting shut down was 100% on skaters tho.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1211 on: July 25, 2023, 11:15:17 AM »
Overly sprayed and waxed curbs are the bane of my existence, just go faster instead of ruining it for everyone. I want to know what the person who did that to the sidewalks was thinking. I guess they wanted to make power slides easier?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1212 on: July 25, 2023, 11:34:32 AM »
Overly sprayed and waxed curbs are the bane of my existence, just go faster instead of ruining it for everyone. I want to know what the person who did that to the sidewalks was thinking. I guess they wanted to make power slides easier?
Making it easier to do lipslides. It’s a parking lot with some sidewalks around it. I personally prefer curbs being icy but for the record I didn’t do this. I don’t lacquer things, I let other people do it.

That being said, my friend waxes the ground there right by the ride on, which I don’t condone (that’s taking it too far) so watch out for that.

Banned from the room

« Reply #1213 on: July 25, 2023, 12:22:16 PM »
Supperfun diy curb someone made and left at the local curb spot. Looks like a braided pretzel.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvGjY8mps4D/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I need one. Sounds amazing

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1214 on: July 25, 2023, 12:27:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Making it easier to do lipslides. It’s a parking lot with some sidewalks around it. I personally prefer curbs being icy but for the record I didn’t do this. I don’t lacquer things, I let other people do it.

That being said, my friend waxes the ground there right by the ride on, which I don’t condone (that’s taking it too far) so watch out for that.

Why the fuck are people doing so much stupid shit there? is it the youtubers? The spot used to be great and as its gotten more broken in it sucks more. There is the angled double sided curb in the corner by the entrance someone got going for boardslides, but it appears someone melted a fucking massive amount of wax on with a torch. I doubt MTA will skate stop a curb, but its probably going to end up a more frequent bust.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1215 on: July 25, 2023, 01:21:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Why the fuck are people doing so much stupid shit there? is it the youtubers? The spot used to be great and as its gotten more broken in it sucks more. There is the angled double sided curb in the corner by the entrance someone got going for boardslides, but it appears someone melted a fucking massive amount of wax on with a torch. I doubt MTA will skate stop a curb, but its probably going to end up a more frequent bust.
I’m probably the wrong person to ask- I don’t mind lots of wax. But I just wax things the normal amount, I think. I didn’t see the corner curb Sunday (parking lot full of Comic-Con goers) but that sucks because I love that curb. It’s a shame they’ve been parking cars by the double sided one by the old Toys R Us, that curb is so fun.

It is a bummer getting kicked out of there, that spot is one of my favorites.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1216 on: July 25, 2023, 01:26:02 PM »
Yah it was super weird, but I paint scraped a lot of it off and it actually slide better. It looked translucent as if someone had melted the wax on there.

That place was my daily go-to especially on tired days. Loved just doing super long slappy noseslides or manualing down it. Prior to this issue I had been kicked out a few times prior but by a different security guard. More recently I had seen security there plenty of times and they just asked for me to watch out for any cars.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1217 on: July 25, 2023, 01:32:11 PM »
Yah it was super weird, but I paint scraped a lot of it off and it actually slide better. It looked translucent as if someone had melted the wax on there.

That place was my daily go-to especially on tired days. Loved just doing super long slappy noseslides or manualing down it. Prior to this issue I had been kicked out a few times prior but by a different security guard. More recently I had seen security there plenty of times and they just asked for me to watch out for any cars.
I remember one implying it was only a problem if we were there in a group. Another one said we could skate in the other half of the lot on the south side, but I think there’s just the one curb there and it’s not prepped. But who knows. I would go there after work sometimes but there’s some weird ass people that crawl out of the canal so I stopped

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #1218 on: July 25, 2023, 05:42:36 PM »
I think I was saying something about this on here about one of my local spots last week.
 Good to know I’m not the only one dealing with kooks fucking up spots. 🙄
People need to try taking a MINIMUM of 3 full pushes before they attempt something, maybe they’ll realize the don’t need to wax the living shit out of something that’s already slick to slide or grind.
Maybe not.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1219 on: July 26, 2023, 07:18:40 AM »
A few thoughts:
People can be dumb, not thinking about how appropriate it is to modify any spot. How visible is it? How many people skate it daily? Does this spot need
Some help? Or is my skill diminished and I think the thing I’m doing will magically make me better at skating? Curbs, ledges, rails etc are subject to a short term mindset by modifying the spot and raising somebodies attention and then ruining it for everyone.
Obviously waxing/sealing a sidewalk a foot and a half in is pretty ridiculous and yes most times an extra push will solve your 6” slappy problems. But with 4 months of rain when curbs here lose that initial layer of paint and the seams start to erode the curb is on its way out and when it’s a spot no one is paying attention at I’m gonna do my best to ensure it will last a while. Not to mention make it way more fun to skate. Most people have little forethought into circumstances and ruin it for everyone.
It’s a case by case thing, don’t just pour sealer and wax on everything.
Sorry about your spots, that always sucks.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1220 on: July 26, 2023, 09:06:47 AM »
This really sounds to me like a cultural difference because what you guys are calling kooky is pretty normal here.

As I said upthread, I was at this spot just a few days ago with six other dudes and no one was bummed. Most of us, myself included, were kind of stoked because it made new tricks possible and the audacity of lacquering the sidewalk was kind of impressive. (To those who don’t where I’m talking about- we don’t skate on the sidewalk, this is a parking lot spot) If it results in MTS knobbing the spot that sucks but that’s the nature of San Diego- spots get blown out pretty fast.

I’ve skated most of the curb spots you see some pretty big name local legends and pros skating and for the most part they’re all waxed and lacquered to super icy. I would guess it’s done because doing a twenty foot grind looks better than a ten foot grind on video. It’s never bothered me and I only occasionally hear complaints.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1221 on: July 26, 2023, 09:32:15 AM »
The spot wouldn't be getting blown out if people didn't paint it that far in. There was the waxed section in the middle and that was just a brick, transparent concrete sealer, and wax. Works just as well and way less visible. I've gotten a lot of spots and curbs going and this was done super piss poor. You don't spray over wax without at least a cursory wipe with acetone. There is sooooo much curb there to skate and that section grinded fine and the part a bit further up slid really well. Leave that alone and go skate one of the many newly broken in doubles.

I wouldn't worry going there with 6 others. Getting swarmed by 2 security cars and 2 cop cars with a total of 8 people with guns by myself at 7AM on a Wednesday was pretty wack. Also weird that security guards in the area carry guns first time I've seen that.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1222 on: July 26, 2023, 09:46:22 AM »
I was there for three hours on Sunday and multiple MTS workers in trucks saw us and said nothing and we never got asked to leave, it’s just luck. I highly doubt it had anything to do with one lacquered section since the sidewalks were already waxed. I don’t know if the job they did was the best but like I said, no one was complaining.

It was always going to get blown out because it’s really easy to figure out where it is based on instagram posts. It’s visible from the trolley, that’s how I found it. It’s just how it is here, too many skaters too few spots. Whenever something new pops up it’s like, gotta skate it before it gets destroyed.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1223 on: July 26, 2023, 09:56:23 AM »
critical discussion about use of public space and the rights of the public vs owners/developers is why skateboarding fucken rules

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1224 on: July 26, 2023, 10:02:03 AM »
critical discussion about use of public space and the rights of the public vs owners/developers is why skateboarding fucken rules

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1225 on: July 26, 2023, 12:58:22 PM »
I was there for three hours on Sunday and multiple MTS workers in trucks saw us and said nothing and we never got asked to leave, it’s just luck. I highly doubt it had anything to do with one lacquered section since the sidewalks were already waxed. I don’t know if the job they did was the best but like I said, no one was complaining.

It was always going to get blown out because it’s really easy to figure out where it is based on instagram posts. It’s visible from the trolley, that’s how I found it. It’s just how it is here, too many skaters too few spots. Whenever something new pops up it’s like, gotta skate it before it gets destroyed.

The dudes in trucks do not care 1 bit. There is a Black security guard who doesn't either. It's 3 different guys that are often partnered together on weekdays that do.

They specifically mentioned they've been there more because "you guys defaced the ground" and pointed to the newly clearcoated sidewalk. They said "a bit of wax melts off but this is too much".

They also mentioned that I was loitering, but quickly asking Google demonstrated that skating doesn't violate any CA loitering laws if you're not obstructing foot or car traffic. Their reply was the large groups they have seen would technically count and that they're going to start issuing citations, but I'd be shocked if the cops came often enough for that to happen. This was within 48hrs of that clearcoat appearing.

I see your point about visibility. When I first moved here a year ago I never saw anyone there and rarely have. I did encounter one team there on a Sunday and they did leave trash at the spot as I was there Monday and all of their shit from where they were parked was on the ground.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 01:08:04 PM by LebowskisRug »

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1226 on: July 26, 2023, 01:31:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The dudes in trucks do not care 1 bit. There is a Black security guard who doesn't either. It's 3 different guys that are often partnered together on weekdays that do.

They specifically mentioned they've been there more because "you guys defaced the ground" and pointed to the newly clearcoated sidewalk. They said "a bit of wax melts off but this is too much".

They also mentioned that I was loitering, but quickly asking Google demonstrated that skating doesn't violate any CA loitering laws if you're not obstructing foot or car traffic. Their reply was the large groups they have seen would technically count and that they're going to start issuing citations, but I'd be shocked if the cops came often enough for that to happen. This was within 48hrs of that clearcoat appearing.

I see your point about visibility. When I first moved here a year ago I never saw anyone there and rarely have. I did encounter one team there on a Sunday and they did leave trash at the spot as I was there Monday and all of their shit from where they were parked was on the ground.
Oh shit well I stand corrected, I didn’t understand that security told you that the lacquer was a problem. Sorry. I will put it out there not to do that.

That spots been in those slappy Sunday guys posts a bunch. Willy just posted from there. But I’ve heard people don’t skate there as much because of security. I agree the trash thing is a problem.

disclosed

• Rep: 186
« Reply #1227 on: July 26, 2023, 01:59:34 PM »
on this topic. today at my spot i noticed someone waxed a part of the curb i never skate. i've skated that part before but not in te last year or so. it has happened before someone waxed. i dont mind it. its a pretty rough curb and can allways use some wax.
but the stange part is my local curb is in the middle of nowhere. theres no skaters here. let alone someone who skates curbs.
it's a mystery.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1228 on: July 26, 2023, 05:45:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Oh shit well I stand corrected, I didn’t understand that security told you that the lacquer was a problem. Sorry. I will put it out there not to do that.

That spots been in those slappy Sunday guys posts a bunch. Willy just posted from there. But I’ve heard people don’t skate there as much because of security. I agree the trash thing is a problem.

One morning I was skating there and a swamp monster emerged from the train tracks, hopped the fence, then took a massive steaming dump off the curb onto the pavement lol.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1229 on: July 26, 2023, 06:19:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

One morning I was skating there and a swamp monster emerged from the train tracks, hopped the fence, then took a massive steaming dump off the curb onto the pavement lol.
Dude one time I got there in the evening and there was a shit on the pavement. It smelled so bad I had to give up skating. I wonder if it was the same shit.