Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 45057 times)

Mr. Kamikazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1860 on: October 01, 2023, 09:02:08 AM »
NXT NO MERCY!

Grand from start to finish. Dragunov is finally NXT world champion & Trick Williams is getting his time. I will say that I too am a tad upset that Lynch is champ but her & Tiffany stole the show last night with a great extreme rules match. Tiffany was bleeding early on but obviously not a single mention, along with Ilja who was bleeding decently in his match. While Melo needs work as he still does not look confident in the ring (yet), his performance last night showed he will be a top dog. He took an absolute beating. Also loved that NXT really let’s loose at ppv’s as even the pre bell ring with Bronn & Corbin was just great wrestling, especially with Breakker going with an over the ropes flip after Corbin came out with an American Badass entrance which actually works for him.

NXT continues to dominate.

Side note: This weeks Dynamite was actually cohesive & entertaining. Can they keep it up????? I want it to be good.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 06:02:07 PM by Mr. Kamikazi »

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -223
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1861 on: October 01, 2023, 10:28:42 AM »
WrestleDream card looks solid. I may have to hit up the local AMC to catch it after dinner tonight.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #1862 on: October 01, 2023, 11:48:27 AM »
WrestleDream card looks solid. I may have to hit up the local AMC to catch it after dinner tonight.

This “new chapter” talk is intriguing.   I figure Edge will show, his contract just expire, but maybe Mercedes too?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #1863 on: October 01, 2023, 02:11:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This “new chapter” talk is intriguing.   I figure Edge will show, his contract just expire, but maybe Mercedes too?

I think the rumor is they're announcing a streaming deal with max. It would be cool if edge shows but I've been blue balled by too many of Tony's "monumental" announcements to get excited about it. Ill probably watch it after football tonight or tomorrow after work but I don't think I'll watch this one live.

I know TK is a mark for japanese wrestling but Wrestledream is a pretty terrible name for a ppv in 2023

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1864 on: October 01, 2023, 08:57:07 PM »
Edge!!!!

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1865 on: October 01, 2023, 09:02:07 PM »
Ok that Edge debut was overbooked but still pretty hype.

There's officially too many dudes named Adam in AEW now

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1866 on: October 01, 2023, 09:11:11 PM »

I love that Tony bought the rights to Metalingus.

I actually liked the Nick Wayne turn.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1867 on: October 01, 2023, 09:36:15 PM »

Blood and Guts needs to be Adams vs Pages vs Cages

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1868 on: October 02, 2023, 05:21:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Speaking of Adams, the crowd was the equivalent of Hammerstein Ballroom 2006 to John Cena for Hangman Adam Page.

Danielson and Swerve both wearing Seahawks-colored gear was a nice touch.

Prince Nana wilding out to Swerve’s theme song is the best entrance hands down.

Sammy stole the show in the 6 man tag.

Takeshita is dangerous and dropped Ibushi on his head twice. Like prime Taz and Dr Death Steve Williams with the German suplexes.

Christian is a great heel.

ZSJ makes me laugh for some reason. He’s like everything Fed marks hate and he knows it. His in ring approach is actually kind of funny and great to watch, very scientific and technical, but really silly at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 08:27:16 AM by PatrickSkateman »

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1869 on: October 02, 2023, 07:45:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Which team is Hangman on?

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1870 on: October 02, 2023, 10:44:56 AM »
Christian is a great heel. I also liked his work in WWE. I am hoping that with Edge, we will see more Christian matches as he is one I truly enjoy to watch in the ring. I did not watch Wrestledream but I was bummed to see that Aussie Open didn't beat FTR. Aussie Open has it all & they are not too over the top & trying to be stuntmen in the ring (not that FTR is) but for younger guys they appear to be more toward "real" wrestling as opposed to exploding super kicks, Kenny Omega nonsense, etc.

I will say I do have an interest in seeing Samoa Joe wrestle more as I rewatched some of WWE stuff & will most likely jump into some ROH/Impact stuff as I know he's a technical guy & had some matches with Angle, etc. Not sure if anyone on here collects but Target/Jazzwares did just release a very sick Samoa Joe figure that I got as I just had to have it as its very spot on. Anyone on here collect the figures?? Target also did WWE Legends so I ended up with Greg Valentine & three Mr. Perfect's....

Also, where are the NXT fans?? No Mercy again was wild & had two 5 Star matches: Dragunov vs Hayes (Ilja's third one...?) & Lynch vs Stratton which undoubtedly continued to elevate the Women's Division.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 06:51:19 PM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1871 on: October 04, 2023, 07:29:06 AM »
Dominik Mysterio winning back the North American NXT Championship from Trick Williams….

Dom as a heel is working. Very underwhelming coverage of Dragunov as the champ though.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1872 on: October 04, 2023, 09:20:09 AM »

Undefeated. 😂

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1873 on: October 04, 2023, 01:45:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was actually cool with that part even though it was kinda obvious it was coming. There were just a lot of moving parts with the whole destroying the ring and stair bumps and then sting coming out and the video and the long entrance walk with choreographed pyro and the heel tease. It kinda felt like an angle tacked on to an angle I guess.

I need to watch the Hangman Swerve match at some point, I was flipping back and forth with football and missed most of it. Those two are just on a different level in the ring and even the Twitter marks are saying it was the best match of the night. I cracked up at all the Nana clips too. We need him and Garcia and Jeff Hardy in a 3 way danceoff in the middle of the ring.

Undefeated. 😂

LOL

Ngl I kinda have a thing for her though

Dominik Mysterio winning back the North American NXT Championship from Trick Williams….

Dom as a heel is working. Very underwhelming coverage of Dragunov as the champ though.

Heel Dom is a winning gimmick. Say what you will about the nepotism that definitely played a part in his push, he's been on an absolute tear since mania. His character is infinitely hateable and he's really made the most of it, especially with the whole judgement day dynamic to play off of.

Dragunov might be one of those guys who works better from a booking standpoint when he's chasing vs having a belt. Typically those smaller underdog guys lose some of their momentum once they've won it.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1874 on: October 04, 2023, 06:12:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I was actually cool with that part even though it was kinda obvious it was coming. There were just a lot of moving parts with the whole destroying the ring and stair bumps and then sting coming out and the video and the long entrance walk with choreographed pyro and the heel tease. It kinda felt like an angle tacked on to an angle I guess.

I need to watch the Hangman Swerve match at some point, I was flipping back and forth with football and missed most of it. Those two are just on a different level in the ring and even the Twitter marks are saying it was the best match of the night. I cracked up at all the Nana clips too. We need him and Garcia and Jeff Hardy in a 3 way danceoff in the middle of the ring.

Expand Quote

Undefeated. 😂
[close]

LOL

Ngl I kinda have a thing for her though

Expand Quote

[close]

Heel Dom is a winning gimmick. Say what you will about the nepotism that definitely played a part in his push, he's been on an absolute tear since mania. His character is infinitely hateable and he's really made the most of it, especially with the whole judgement day dynamic to play off of.

Dragunov might be one of those guys who works better from a booking standpoint when he's chasing vs having a belt. Typically those smaller underdog guys lose some of their momentum once they've won it.

I see where you are coming from with Dragunov but I am hoping he is able to build off of that, kind of like Benoit who was definitely a smaller underdog, also Shawn Michaels comes to mind. It seems that him winning was what needed to happen so I am sure there is a plan that will hopefully be worthwhile. Again, that match with him & Hayes was an absolute ripper as Dragunov just did not stop.

Currently watching Dynamite. Takeaways thus far: Jay White would be better without the Bullet Club Gold. Juice Robinson is a child, sounds like he is always on a bender & has zero mic skills. Also him pretending to Dog piss on people & call be what I think was a buttlicker (MJF’s entrance kicked in but he almost said it) is just bad. The Ass boys should go back to being a tag team, etc. Jay White is interesting & looks good in the ring. That stable however regardless of history is just beyond lackluster & takes away any elegance or seriousness that Jay White wants to have. Happy Rey Fenix won but it sounds like big bad Mox is getting his belt back next Tuesday at Title Tuesday....
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 08:22:34 AM by Mr. Kamikazi »

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1875 on: October 06, 2023, 11:56:52 AM »
It seems to happen with a lot of smaller guys in the fed unfortunately. It's the land of the giants..always has been and probably always will be as long as Vince is alive. Shawn was probably the best at keeping his reigns interesting but he was still an underdog for a lot of his run at the top somehow. Undercard titles don't suffer from it as much as the top belts do, but NXT is sort of it's own thing so I guess it shouldn't be as much of an issue there. The dude can definitely work though, and they'd be nuts not to revisit the Walter matches at some point.

I watched dynamite.

Fenix looks like he's dying and I'm not sure he's just selling... he looks like his body is breaking down. Toni Storm is fuckin money in this gimmick. Strong Goldust vibes from it so you know I Iove that shit. Swerve is probably going over Danielson. I like juice but I can definitely see why he would irritate someone, especially if you've only seen him in AEW. He used to be a vanilla gaijin young lion believe it or not, so seeing him acting like a real life muppet has some surreal novelty to me. Stolen belt angles are almost always lame though.

For the dark side lovers you may enjoy this. I was going to copy paste it but its pretty long.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/tammy-sytch-sunny-declared-danger-society-florida-state-attorney

How the fuck was she out of jail weeks after she killed the dude? If she wasn't a white woman with a tiny bit of residual fame she would have been locked up and had the key thrown away about a decade ago. Absolutely shameless, both her and the system that enabled it. At least they're apparently trying to throw the book at her now, but it's Florida so she can just say she hates gay people and they'll probably pardon her.

Killed someone because her selfish ass didn't want to wait for GrubHub like a normal person. A tumbler cup, a bottle of vodka, and a fucking rotisserie chicken....what a classy broad.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1876 on: October 06, 2023, 06:02:45 PM »
Does having Cena and potentially the Undertaker on NXT feel a little desperate to win that night?

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1877 on: October 06, 2023, 07:58:03 PM »
It seems to happen with a lot of smaller guys in the fed unfortunately. It's the land of the giants..always has been and probably always will be as long as Vince is alive. Shawn was probably the best at keeping his reigns interesting but he was still an underdog for a lot of his run at the top somehow. Undercard titles don't suffer from it as much as the top belts do, but NXT is sort of it's own thing so I guess it shouldn't be as much of an issue there. The dude can definitely work though, and they'd be nuts not to revisit the Walter matches at some point.

I watched dynamite.

Fenix looks like he's dying and I'm not sure he's just selling... he looks like his body is breaking down. Toni Storm is fuckin money in this gimmick. Strong Goldust vibes from it so you know I Iove that shit. Swerve is probably going over Danielson. I like juice but I can definitely see why he would irritate someone, especially if you've only seen him in AEW. He used to be a vanilla gaijin young lion believe it or not, so seeing him acting like a real life muppet has some surreal novelty to me. Stolen belt angles are almost always lame though.

For the dark side lovers you may enjoy this. I was going to copy paste it but its pretty long.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/tammy-sytch-sunny-declared-danger-society-florida-state-attorney

How the fuck was she out of jail weeks after she killed the dude? If she wasn't a white woman with a tiny bit of residual fame she would have been locked up and had the key thrown away about a decade ago. Absolutely shameless, both her and the system that enabled it. At least they're apparently trying to throw the book at her now, but it's Florida so she can just say she hates gay people and they'll probably pardon her.

Killed someone because her selfish ass didn't want to wait for GrubHub like a normal person. A tumbler cup, a bottle of vodka, and a fucking rotisserie chicken....what a classy broad.

I am really hoping Dragunov & Gunther cross paths again....

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1878 on: October 07, 2023, 04:35:41 AM »
Does having Cena and potentially the Undertaker on NXT feel a little desperate to win that night?

I thought NXT moved to a different night and they aren't head to head anymore

I don't see it as any different than booking Omega or MJF on rampage. Yes it's an obvious ploy to pop a rating but it doesn't seem like there's any ulterior motives to me. It is interesting that they don't see it as a step down anymore and it's arguably their #2 show in terms of impact and fan engagement right now. Both guys were known for politicking and I imagine even in retirement would be hesitant to appear when it was seen as pretty much exclusively developmental and thus a step down in importance.

Rumors are Punk is trying to go back to the Fed but no one in the locker room really wants him there and two of their biggest stars (maybe the two biggest - Seth and Roman) have been super vocal about not liking him. It's pretty hilarious that after all the shit he's talked and bridges burned now he wants to tuck his tail and beg Vince for forgiveness. I hope they either say no thank you we have a good locker room or just embarrass the shit out of him like back in the day. Make him kiss HHH's ass on live TV.. He's really not that much of a draw or wrestler at this point and and I'm pretty sure a large part of the fanbase are just as sick of his shit or don't care at all. Wrestling does not need CM Punk.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1879 on: October 07, 2023, 04:51:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dynamite is on Tuesday this week due to hockey or some shit and has Edge's first AEW match, so WWE are stacking that night's NXT

Sounds like the Punk deal is as good as done. I will be laughing so hard if he fucks it up again but I have a feeling he'll somehow manage to keep his head down and get through it this time. I wonder if seeing how popular he still was, plus seeing Cody in WWE made him realise that he actually would be able to go back there and succeed, which lead him to act out in a (perhaps subconscious) attempt to get out of there
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1880 on: October 07, 2023, 06:05:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't see it as any different than booking Omega or MJF on rampage. Yes it's an obvious ploy to pop a rating but it doesn't seem like there's any ulterior motives to me. It is interesting that they don't see it as a step down anymore and it's arguably their #2 show in terms of impact and fan engagement right now. Both guys were known for politicking and I imagine even in retirement would be hesitant to appear when it was seen as pretty much exclusively developmental and thus a step down in importance.

Rumors are Punk is trying to go back to the Fed but no one in the locker room really wants him there and two of their biggest stars (maybe the two biggest - Seth and Roman) have been super vocal about not liking him. It's pretty hilarious that after all the shit he's talked and bridges burned now he wants to tuck his tail and beg Vince for forgiveness. I hope they either say no thank you we have a good locker room or just embarrass the shit out of him like back in the day. Make him kiss HHH's ass on live TV.. He's really not that much of a draw or wrestler at this point and and I'm pretty sure a large part of the fanbase are just as sick of his shit or don't care at all. Wrestling does not need CM Punk.

Well Cena has been getting involved a lot because of the SAG strike and he still thinks VKM is a great guy.   

Omega and MJF are on the show every week more or less.   They might book a must see match, but it’s not out of place to see them on the show.   Cena on NXT is just weird.    Becky Lynch was too big to go there, let alone a genuine movie star, but he is a company man through and through.   It’s not like when NXT was filled with tried and true ROH/indie guys.   

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1881 on: October 07, 2023, 01:05:14 PM »
Shows how much of a dedicated dynamite viewer I these days haha. Yeah that might be a bit suspect, but I honestly doubt it has any real impact on the AEW ratings which is the only thing they should really care about. If they want to pay those dudes and use up one of their contract appearances to win against a show that's running on it's off night then that actually makes AEW look better than them just not caring in my book.

I think punk just can't hack it anymore, especially at the level he thinks he's at. What's the longest he went without getting hurt since he came back? It can't be more than 10 matches. I never thought he was that good of a wrestler, he was just good at saying he was. Sort of like if MJF didn't go out and tear the house down consistently but still did the same promos about being a generational talent. The GTS has never been cool for me (even when Kenta does it), it's pretty contrived to begin with and he rarely even makes contact so it just looks fake as fuck most of the time.

Saw some of the smackdown stuff...goddamn Rhea is a star. People talk about presence a lot and I can't think of anyone who's been more commanding than her in the last few years. When she's on screen I'm watching her, period. I think she's what they wanted Chyna to be - they've made me actually believe she could beat the fuck out of half the dudes on the roster. I really hope her and Jade cross paths at some point, give me a good she-hoss fight.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1882 on: October 08, 2023, 12:27:49 AM »
Completely agree about Ripley.   She did do a Chyna ring gear reference recently which I thought was spot on.   

I kinda wish there was no women’s division and they were all in their own promotion because there’s a bunch of good battles I’d like to see, with Hayter v Ripley at the top with a bullet.   

When punk got a bad injury after both title wins, that let me know he was kinda cooked.    It’s almost a blessing for them that it worked out the way that it did.   Got him for the Wembley bump, then adios.   Will be “hilarious” if Macho Man is the only guy the Fed was never able to do business again after repairing shit with Bret and hypothetically Phil

I also 100% am with you that NXT getting loaded up legitimizes AEW.   Even if Dynamite loses, which it probably will, there’s no harm done to AEW.   WB loves them and is going to be featuring them on MAX next year which is really what AEW has been missing to really take the next step.   They will always suffer in comparison that they aren’t a 40 year old brand and the WWE and pro wrestling are (ironically) synonymous for non-fans.   But if they start doing what WWE was (and might foolishly stop doing) with putting their PPVs free on an app, I could see them grabbing a greater market share and name recognition

Also, @Sativa Lung did you see FTR lost the belts to Ricky and Big Bill tonight?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1883 on: October 08, 2023, 03:05:51 AM »
I did but I didn't watch the match yet. I'm guessing Cash's court case isn't looking good or someone got hurt or something but either way I'm happy to see someone new with the belts. I would have preferred it to be Bill and Cage doing a modern road warriors gimmick where they just kill everyone in under 10 minutes, but this is cool too. I think Starks works best as a chickenshit since his look is so unimpressive, so this is probably about as good a partner as you can give him. Would not be one but surprised if Bill elevates himself in the inevitable breakup angle too. He's another guy with a presence you can't ignore and magnetic charisma... future world champ material if they book him right.

Ill probably throw collision on at some point before football today.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1884 on: October 11, 2023, 04:26:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Dynamite is on Tuesday this week due to hockey or some shit and has Edge's first AEW match, so WWE are stacking that night's NXT

Sounds like the Punk deal is as good as done. I will be laughing so hard if he fucks it up again but I have a feeling he'll somehow manage to keep his head down and get through it this time. I wonder if seeing how popular he still was, plus seeing Cody in WWE made him realise that he actually would be able to go back there and succeed, which lead him to act out in a (perhaps subconscious) attempt to get out of there

Welp now all the sheets are back tracking on it haha...including Punks personal mouthpiece who was the one who put it out there in the first place. Either they're trying to work it for some reason or this was all just him trying to pressure them into giving him a spot so he could stick it to the mean Mr. Tony who wouldn't just let him punch anyone he didn't like. My moneys on the latter given how many people at the absolute top end of the fed these days have been very vocal about how much of a pain in the ass he was and/or wanting nothing to do with him.

They're killing it right now both financially and creatively and have plenty of actual "player/coach" types so there's zero need for Punk...the only reason to do it is to get one over on AEW but that's a pretty dumb reason to potentially piss off a large and massively valuable part of your locker room. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll trot him out for a staredown with Cena (he'd probably break his orbital staring too hard) but it seems like a lot of guys like Seth and Roman genuinely dislike the dude and I have to imagine they have some sway in the back.

Still on my stampede kick.. it's amazing how many guys were there super early in their careers. I just watched Jake vs Big Daddy Ritter (JYD) and they both look like they're fresh out of wrestling school. Jake wore trunks back then which kept tripping me out since I had assumed he was in tights or karate pants his entire career. Try mentally picturing Jake the Snake in a pair of simple black trunks... weird right?

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1885 on: October 12, 2023, 06:39:26 AM »
Did Edge’s debut match feel weird to anyone else? Aside from his win, it almost felt like Jericho’s near-squash loss to Hobbs earlier that night. I suppose I’m impressed they took an adventurous route toward Edge vs. Christian storytelling—I did like the “ultimate opportunist” belt finish—but I would think they’d want their new new biggest face to look as strong as possible. I felt pretty underwhelmed waiting for it only to see him get beat up.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1886 on: October 12, 2023, 07:54:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Welp now all the sheets are back tracking on it haha...including Punks personal mouthpiece who was the one who put it out there in the first place. Either they're trying to work it for some reason or this was all just him trying to pressure them into giving him a spot so he could stick it to the mean Mr. Tony who wouldn't just let him punch anyone he didn't like. My moneys on the latter given how many people at the absolute top end of the fed these days have been very vocal about how much of a pain in the ass he was and/or wanting nothing to do with him.

They're killing it right now both financially and creatively and have plenty of actual "player/coach" types so there's zero need for Punk...the only reason to do it is to get one over on AEW but that's a pretty dumb reason to potentially piss off a large and massively valuable part of your locker room. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll trot him out for a staredown with Cena (he'd probably break his orbital staring too hard) but it seems like a lot of guys like Seth and Roman genuinely dislike the dude and I have to imagine they have some sway in the back.

Still on my stampede kick.. it's amazing how many guys were there super early in their careers. I just watched Jake vs Big Daddy Ritter (JYD) and they both look like they're fresh out of wrestling school. Jake wore trunks back then which kept tripping me out since I had assumed he was in tights or karate pants his entire career. Try mentally picturing Jake the Snake in a pair of simple black trunks... weird right?

I just watched Smoky Mountain wrestling where is Jake is bald & fighting Dirty Whiteboy & eventually some ninjas who come in the ring.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1887 on: October 14, 2023, 03:03:26 AM »
Did Edge’s debut match feel weird to anyone else? Aside from his win, it almost felt like Jericho’s near-squash loss to Hobbs earlier that night. I suppose I’m impressed they took an adventurous route toward Edge vs. Christian storytelling—I did like the “ultimate opportunist” belt finish—but I would think they’d want their new new biggest face to look as strong as possible. I felt pretty underwhelmed waiting for it only to see him get beat up.

Tony just lets guys like that pretty much book themselves, so given the fact he wants to be a face (wasn't that why the judgement day thing didn't work out? He wanted to be face and no spooky stuff?) I guess he was going for the struggling underdog dynamic but it definitely came off a little flat. I imagine it was supposed to be because they're still trying to build Luchasaurus, but I agree they kinda made Edge look like a weakling at points which is dumb since he's like the one dude who's almost as big and athletic. The finish was pretty tired too..I feel like that exact thing happens at least once a week between the two shows. Then the run in parade to close the show was a dumb cherry on a shitty sundae.

Unfortunately a recurring theme I've noticed in AEW is that the older guys who aren't dicks can be a little too giving and bring themselves down to their opponent instead of elevating them. Danielson is the worst about it but Moxley and Jericho do it too. You don't need 50-50 booking and a bunch of false finishes to make a guy look good... especially a guy like Luchasaurus who already looks great and can work. I absolutely love that Christian went from the guy who would "outwork everyone" to barely ever wrestling and purposely looking like shit when he did though, so I'll wait and see how it plays out before passing too much judgement.

Khan really needs to hire a booker and stop just letting everyone do what they want though. The show has this really scattershot feel to it nowadays and even if Tony might have an idea of the big picture he wants, he's obviously pretty clueless about the best route to take to get there. Also needs to get the fuck off Twitter, I think getting pummeled in the ratings h2h with supernxt may have broken him. Stop worrying about what HBK is doing and fix your own fucking shows dude.

@Mr. Kamikazi Did you enjoy it? SMW is a weird one for me because in theory I should love it, but it doesn't really do much for me for the most part. Cornette wanted a serious territory like mid South or Florida but Rick Rubin wanted some goofy Memphis inspired stuff like Prince Kharis and Ninjas and since he was paying the bills there was no overruling him. Some of the shows and angles are great (New Jack in SMW was money) and some are almost comically bad. Unfortunately a lot of it is just boring though. He somehow always managed to have announcers who felt like they were way too big for a promotion that was mostly running armory and high school gym shows - Caudle, JR, Dutch, and Lance Russell.

It is impressive that Cornette managed to get that promotion up and running in a matter of months and I believe Rubin only put like 60k up which he got a lot of mileage out of. I know modern fans who don't even listen to Cornette (but still think they know everything about both him and the business) love to bring SMW going out of business like it's some kind of dunk on him but most promoters would have gone under in a year or less. Hell even the WWF was losing money at that point.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #1888 on: October 14, 2023, 07:22:01 AM »
i watched sonny two rivers vs. cobra...both japanese.....

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1889 on: October 14, 2023, 11:09:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tony just lets guys like that pretty much book themselves, so given the fact he wants to be a face (wasn't that why the judgement day thing didn't work out? He wanted to be face and no spooky stuff?) I guess he was going for the struggling underdog dynamic but it definitely came off a little flat. I imagine it was supposed to be because they're still trying to build Luchasaurus, but I agree they kinda made Edge look like a weakling at points which is dumb since he's like the one dude who's almost as big and athletic. The finish was pretty tired too..I feel like that exact thing happens at least once a week between the two shows. Then the run in parade to close the show was a dumb cherry on a shitty sundae.

Unfortunately a recurring theme I've noticed in AEW is that the older guys who aren't dicks can be a little too giving and bring themselves down to their opponent instead of elevating them. Danielson is the worst about it but Moxley and Jericho do it too. You don't need 50-50 booking and a bunch of false finishes to make a guy look good... especially a guy like Luchasaurus who already looks great and can work. I absolutely love that Christian went from the guy who would "outwork everyone" to barely ever wrestling and purposely looking like shit when he did though, so I'll wait and see how it plays out before passing too much judgement.

Khan really needs to hire a booker and stop just letting everyone do what they want though. The show has this really scattershot feel to it nowadays and even if Tony might have an idea of the big picture he wants, he's obviously pretty clueless about the best route to take to get there. Also needs to get the fuck off Twitter, I think getting pummeled in the ratings h2h with supernxt may have broken him. Stop worrying about what HBK is doing and fix your own fucking shows dude.

@Mr. Kamikazi Did you enjoy it? SMW is a weird one for me because in theory I should love it, but it doesn't really do much for me for the most part. Cornette wanted a serious territory like mid South or Florida but Rick Rubin wanted some goofy Memphis inspired stuff like Prince Kharis and Ninjas and since he was paying the bills there was no overruling him. Some of the shows and angles are great (New Jack in SMW was money) and some are almost comically bad. Unfortunately a lot of it is just boring though. He somehow always managed to have announcers who felt like they were way too big for a promotion that was mostly running armory and high school gym shows - Caudle, JR, Dutch, and Lance Russell.

It is impressive that Cornette managed to get that promotion up and running in a matter of months and I believe Rubin only put like 60k up which he got a lot of mileage out of. I know modern fans who don't even listen to Cornette (but still think they know everything about both him and the business) love to bring SMW going out of business like it's some kind of dunk on him but most promoters would have gone under in a year or less. Hell even the WWF was losing money at that point.

It was tough at first but I’m just trying to take it in right now. On another note, Collision looks like it’ll be good tonight. Excited for Samoa Joe’s match.