Author Topic: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 45064 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
Re: The Official Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1920 on: October 25, 2023, 06:26:56 PM »
AEW finally got Flair

Mr. Kamikazi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #1921 on: October 25, 2023, 06:32:52 PM »
AEW finally got Flair

Geez. This really starting to feel like WCW….

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1922 on: October 25, 2023, 06:34:40 PM »
Expand Quote
AEW finally got Flair
[close]

Geez. This really starting to feel like WCW….

Intentionally so in this case (though with Christian and Sting maybe a little more TNA).   It’s fitting for Sting, I dig it.   There’s a definitive ending point

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #1923 on: October 26, 2023, 12:41:13 AM »
Yeah no thanks. I get that he's important to Sting historically but the last thing I want to see in 2023 is Ric Flairs old alcoholic ass desperately trying to make everything about himself. This feels incredibly desperate and is just a bad look all around as far as I'm concerned. One step forward, two steps back.

If you're not aware of the current state of Flair, this is less than a month old. He needs help, not a high profile storyline spot.

https://youtu.be/io5kMs15nNY?feature=shared

The whole thing is even worse but it's like 2 hours long

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1924 on: October 26, 2023, 05:32:13 AM »
I think I read an interview or something where Tony said he had the first four champions (Jericho, Mox, Omega, Hangman) mapped out and had that all booked and planned from day one. Shit got screwy with Punks first injury, because obviously he won the belt from Hangman and Tony probably had a decent run for him booked there. From then on he has had to scramble and book on the fly, which I don't think he is qualified for. Add in Punk's return which also had future months booked and then he lost punk, Omega, and the bucks, all of which had belts and booking plans.

It's just been a comedy of errors in AEW since Punk won the belt, and now I'm kinda starting to get why WWE makes their guys work so safe and a bunch of moves are banned and no pile drivers and all that shit. AEW has to keep 100 guys ready to wrestle because 50 of them are hurt at any given time.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1925 on: October 26, 2023, 05:52:55 AM »
I think I read an interview or something where Tony said he had the first four champions (Jericho, Mox, Omega, Hangman) mapped out and had that all booked and planned from day one. Shit got screwy with Punks first injury, because obviously he won the belt from Hangman and Tony probably had a decent run for him booked there. From then on he has had to scramble and book on the fly, which I don't think he is qualified for. Add in Punk's return which also had future months booked and then he lost punk, Omega, and the bucks, all of which had belts and booking plans.

It's just been a comedy of errors in AEW since Punk won the belt, and now I'm kinda starting to get why WWE makes their guys work so safe and a bunch of moves are banned and no pile drivers and all that shit. AEW has to keep 100 guys ready to wrestle because 50 of them are hurt at any given time.

I don’t think the company that rehired Nia Jaxx is that concerned about keeping their wrestlers healthy

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1926 on: October 27, 2023, 05:05:51 AM »

This is a good analysis. It certainly seems like there is injury after injury. Not sure if it was kayfabe as it looked pretty convincing with all the superstars coming out but Bryan Danielson looked hurt after the tag team match with Okada on Wednesday. Even the announce team had no idea what to say.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1927 on: October 28, 2023, 02:44:10 AM »

Ha, it was you after all. I honestly half think AEWs lighter schedule works against them with injuries, you always hear the old guys talk about how your body just gets conditioned to the bumps after a while when you're doing it every day. It does seem like the guys who never really stop wrestling hold up better, Jericho being the most obvious example in AEW.

I saw Moxley said something about his concussion and now the smarks are trying to blame anyone but him. It's pro wrestling - you're pretending to be hurt all the time... If you don't tell someone you're rocked then of course everyone will assume you're just selling - especially in this day and age where we have people feigning seizures and fencing response. If you didn't tell me that he was concussed and I didn't know their respective spots on the card/finishers I wouldn't have thought anything was amiss about that match. I would have just assumed the ref forgot the finish.

Really kinda bummed about the Flair thing and I hate it because I want to be hyped for MJF vs Omega. It feels like Tony just waited for the heat to die down a little with the plane ride from hell stuff and then looked for the first excuse to bring him in. That's a straight up Vince move. The worst part is it's not going to move the needle - no one really cares or is talking about it. We couldn't give that time and shine to big Cass or Hobbs or something?

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1928 on: October 29, 2023, 03:34:08 AM »
If you didn't watch collision last night try to watch it somewhere today. AR Fox and Jay White had a hell of a good opener to get the crowd hot and the main event was excellent. Probably the best collision main event so far and one of the best free TV ones they've had in a long time. I won't even spoil it by talking about it...just go watch it.

PM me if you need links.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1929 on: October 31, 2023, 06:42:03 PM »
If you didn't watch collision last night try to watch it somewhere today. AR Fox and Jay White had a hell of a good opener to get the crowd hot and the main event was excellent. Probably the best collision main event so far and one of the best free TV ones they've had in a long time. I won't even spoil it by talking about it...just go watch it.

PM me if you need links.

Collision was solid. Just hoping this announcement by the Khan man tomorrow is that PPV's are free now so I can watch Full Gear.

Happy I am getting to see more Samoa Joe but I want to see him in a lengthy match, not just squash matches. Also very stoked to see Claudio getting a solid push as I do hope he beats Freshly Squeezed OC tomorrow.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1930 on: November 02, 2023, 06:24:04 PM »
Bummed Claudio lost. We all know Mox will take it back at Full Gear which maybe will cause a rift between Claudio & Mox since last night he looked on as Mox attacked freshly squeezed. You could see him just looking on & hanging back.

MJF headed to WWE judging by future promotional posters & Khan doing anything to get views which includes bringing on Flair & even trying to get Hogan on in the near future for views.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1931 on: November 05, 2023, 07:18:18 AM »
Darby, Brody King, and Hook are doing a meet and greet at the FA store in Hollywood on 11.16

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1932 on: November 05, 2023, 12:24:12 PM »
Darby, Brody King, and Hook are doing a meet and greet at the FA store in Hollywood on 11.16

Saw this. Brody King is killer. Darby & Hook are overrated. Period.

Ospreay getting closer to inking a deal with WWE & Crown Jewel didn’t disappoint. Curious to see what happens with the US title now that Logan Paul won it. Not a fan at all but I’m assuming this will generate some great matches for/with others.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1933 on: November 09, 2023, 03:32:36 AM »
Samoa Joe relinquished the ROH TV title after beating Keith Lee. Really trying to get the AEW world championship from MJF or there’s some speculation he’ll leave AEW. Either way, happy he was in action last night. Penta VS Swerve was solid & full of action. Both guys sold well & while I knew Swerve would win, Penta was up until the very end. Happy they didn’t actually let Swerve unmask him like they kept mentioning. Was also wild to see Swerve pull Pentax’s tongue during a headlock.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1934 on: November 10, 2023, 01:56:51 AM »
Samoa Joe relinquished the ROH TV title after beating Keith Lee. Really trying to get the AEW world championship from MJF or there’s some speculation he’ll leave AEW. Either way, happy he was in action last night. Penta VS Swerve was solid & full of action. Both guys sold well & while I knew Swerve would win, Penta was up until the very end. Happy they didn’t actually let Swerve unmask him like they kept mentioning. Was also wild to see Swerve pull Pentax’s tongue during a headlock.

I don't think joes going anywhere. WWE didn't treat him all that well and he's a vet whoq respects the business so I would think he'd insist on putting someone over on the way out rather than beating them if he were leaving. If Tony has any sense he should be grooming him for an office or booking job after hes done in ring because Joe clearly understands how this is supposed to work.

Also doubt MJF is going anywhere unless AEW folds. There's no chance they'd have him in this high profile of a spot this late in the year with like 5 potential feuds on the horizon if his contract was done at the end of the year. I firmly believe everything back to the missed meet n greet thing was a work, things just got fucked with Punk being an injury prone horrible coworker and TK not knowing how to adapt.

Didn't watch dynamite but I'm off work today and have nothing to do except go pick up some new scumco boards so Im gonna at least watch Penta vs Swerve. One of the main problems with AEW is they give matches like that away with no substantial build or promotion beyond a tweet a few days beforehand. Those dudes are definitely good enough to be working a ppv undercard feud, I personally have both in my top ten AEW workers. Heel swerve can handle the promos to tell the story and Penta has the in ring work and physical charisma for the fans to really get behind. Do that and THEN have the inevitable amazing match with the fans really invested.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1935 on: November 10, 2023, 06:43:33 AM »
I think Joe dropped the belt bc he already set the record for holding it and the “Two Belt+ Champ” trend from a couple of years ago proved to be a pain in the ass when you’re trying to then get the belts off them (not that I necessarily think Joe will beat MJF).   

No matter how talented he is and no matter how many shares VKM sells, Logan Paul holding a title in the Fed is why I find it so difficult to ever go back to them

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1936 on: November 10, 2023, 11:31:25 AM »
I think Joe dropped the belt bc he already set the record for holding it and the “Two Belt+ Champ” trend from a couple of years ago proved to be a pain in the ass when you’re trying to then get the belts off them (not that I necessarily think Joe will beat MJF).   

No matter how talented he is and no matter how many shares VKM sells, Logan Paul holding a title in the Fed is why I find it so difficult to ever go back to them

I feel the US belt will be the title that gets thrown around. Fucking Bad Bunny will end up with it. Rubbish.

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1937 on: November 14, 2023, 06:46:53 AM »
I thought it was weird that such a big deal was made of Joe being the TV champ of a promotion that currently doesn't have a TV show.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1938 on: November 15, 2023, 09:15:27 PM »
Big signing called for Full Gear.    The released Fed guys like Ali aren’t out of their non-competes and Osprey and Mone under contract still

My guess:
Bret Hart (Bret seemed more keen on it than Tony - and new signing is described as someone EVERYONE RESPECTS and is THE GREATEST WRESTLER).   

Lesser guess: Guilia.   Stardom standout and is respected, but probably not necessary for this kind of announcement

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1939 on: November 16, 2023, 05:06:16 PM »
Terrible promo from Hangman last night. Talking about how he will steal Prince Nana's weed & smoke it while cutting a promo with Swerve. Embarrassing. Between my time as a teacher & currently a therapist, Hangman Adam Page is one of them with this kind of stuff.

Otherwise, Dynamite was not bad. The street fight however with Ibushi riding a bicycle then tapping everyone with a pipe was comical as everyone then sold it. Highlight for me was seeing Penta almost get a win over the Bucks with Komander even though we all know the Bucks were going to get it.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1940 on: November 16, 2023, 05:07:06 PM »
Big signing called for Full Gear.    The released Fed guys like Ali aren’t out of their non-competes and Osprey and Mone under contract still

My guess:
Bret Hart (Bret seemed more keen on it than Tony - and new signing is described as someone EVERYONE RESPECTS and is THE GREATEST WRESTLER).   

Lesser guess: Guilia.   Stardom standout and is respected, but probably not necessary for this kind of announcement

If it is Bret Hart or Goldberg, there will be no denying that AEW is WCW 2.0.

We shall see.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1941 on: November 16, 2023, 05:26:52 PM »
Expand Quote

My guess:

[close]

If it is Bret Hart or Goldberg, there will be no denying that AEW is WCW 2.0.

We shall see.

Goldberg would be weird unless it’s some MJF Jewish faction angle

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1942 on: November 16, 2023, 11:43:35 PM »
I gotta get caught up this weekend, I should be at collision  next weekend so I should probably have an idea of what's going on haha.

Penta has insane physical charisma and works stiff so I'm definitely checking that out but it's kinda funny how fast Kommander went from being hyped up to "you can wrestle if Fenix can't make the show" but that's what being a one trick pony gets you. Maybe instead of doing flips off whatever you can find you learn to throw a worked punch or establish an emotional connection with fans? It doesn't help that they've brought in other guys who do lucha ropewalk shit (and arguably do it better) but I just never got the hype around him. It literally looks like a choreographed circus act to me.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1943 on: November 17, 2023, 01:29:21 AM »
I gotta get caught up this weekend, I should be at collision  next weekend so I should probably have an idea of what's going on haha.

Penta has insane physical charisma and works stiff so I'm definitely checking that out but it's kinda funny how fast Kommander went from being hyped up to "you can wrestle if Fenix can't make the show" but that's what being a one trick pony gets you. Maybe instead of doing flips off whatever you can find you learn to throw a worked punch or establish an emotional connection with fans? It doesn't help that they've brought in other guys who do lucha ropewalk shit (and arguably do it better) but I just never got the hype around him. It literally looks like a choreographed circus act to me.

I saw him at BoLA last January before I ever saw him elsewhere and the tightrope walking stuff was very fun and charismatic.   Understandably, the shine wears off

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1944 on: November 17, 2023, 01:22:44 PM »
Taping Rampage tonight to see what goes down. Smackdown will be watched. Rumor has it that Nakamura is paving the way for Okada to come the WWE. I’d love this.

Side note. Ordered a bunch of ROH/TNA dvds off eBay (10.00 for all of them) & I’ve never watched or heard of Kobashi & boy oh boy! Him vs Samoa Joe was just perfect. Strong style at its finest.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1945 on: November 17, 2023, 02:35:45 PM »
I think Okada has a better chance of being at AEW than WWE.   I don’t see him at the Fed at all and these NJPW guys want that nicer schedule

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1946 on: November 17, 2023, 03:27:23 PM »
I think Okada has a better chance of being at AEW than WWE.   I don’t see him at the Fed at all and these NJPW guys want that nicer schedule

He apparently is inquiring with WWE & Nakamura is apparently trying to coax him & show him that Japanese wrestlers won’t get swept under the rug like previous wrestlers from Japan. AEW can’t maintain him so even if he was higher mid card in WWE, it’d be better than him being in a random street fight 6 man tag team match or having countless matches with Danielson.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1947 on: November 17, 2023, 06:12:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He apparently is inquiring with WWE & Nakamura is apparently trying to coax him & show him that Japanese wrestlers won’t get swept under the rug like previous wrestlers from Japan. AEW can’t maintain him so even if he was higher mid card in WWE, it’d be better than him being in a random street fight 6 man tag team match or having countless matches with Danielson.

Well I guess hide those Aj/nakamura matches from him.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1948 on: November 17, 2023, 08:04:12 PM »
Claudio vs Buddy Matthews Full Gear pre show should be quite good

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1949 on: November 18, 2023, 07:36:02 PM »

My guess:

Aaaaaand….the new signing is

Will Osprey!

Outside of MJF, I really don’t see the Fed going for huge outside/Japan talents.    They’re in post merger mode which is about cutting costs and I can’t see how Okada would move the needle for them anymore than Nakamura did.   Gulia from Stardom would at least be an affordable get. 

Don’t forget, they’re also not renewing contracts before they’re up, so they’ve got a couple big names like Becky and McIntyre with contracts up in 2024, so I really don’t foresee them trying to buy the world.  A new regime holds the wallet these days and they aren’t motivated by bile and spite like VKM was
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 08:22:28 PM by Atiba Applebum »