Author Topic: The Thunder Thread  (Read 146675 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
Re: The Thunder Thread
« Reply #1950 on: April 10, 2024, 06:45:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Trying to ID these tiny thunders I’ve had in my storage. They may either be from around 2007 or 2017. Still says “made in USA” under the baseplate.

[close]

I'd say these are closer to 2007 than 2017 for sure.

Standard thunders.
ID as far as what? I have a set of 149s that look like that, have same baseplates and I'm pretty sure they're from 2009. Did you ever have one of those pre made zip zingers? I think the 143 were only on those for a while at first. Or they're just standard 145s

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1951 on: April 10, 2024, 07:59:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Recent convert from independent to Thunder. Just tried out the new setup today. Ummmmmm. Holy crap! The difference is like riding from the depths of hell onto the clouds of heaven. I’m using independent hard (black) cylindrical bushings on the Thunder Sonora and the response is so rapid and smooth compared to the Independent medium/hard (blue) cylindrical bushings on the Independent Stage 11 before. Wow!
[close]

Just a friendly heads up, if you’re new to skateboarding and unfamiliar with the way different trucks behave it may be best for you to just leave the stock bushings in, or at the very least order different duro bushings from the same manufacturer instead of Frankensteining Indy bushings into thunders. They have thunder bushing kits in various hardness for about $10.  It fucks with the geometry when you start swapping bushings around especially if they’re not the same height/shape and over time could lead to some wonky geometry that will be affecting you without you noticing it.
[close]

Will pig bushings mess up geometry?
[close]

I have no idea but you should measure the height of whatever bushings you’re replacing and also be aware of the shape e.g conical vs cylinder. Bushings are arguably one of the most key components on a skateboard and can really fuck your game up if you’re not careful
[close]

Good to know. Thanks.
[close]

Like that guy said bushings are delicate. I would just keep the stock bushings in the truck and not mess with it. Unless you have a real reason you want to change the bushings like for example you are really good and love super loose trucks or really stiff trucks I wouldn't mess with them. Changing them just for the sake of changing htem is pointless and just gonna mess you up especially if you are a beginner
[close]

I gave my stock bushings away when I first got the trucks. Now I don’t want to be rude and ask it back. I’ll just buy the bushings again.  :(

Personally, I find that thunders are the only truck I enjoy riding completely stock.

Which is a selling point to me.

I have a set of thunder riptides that I haven't used yet because I'm scared to send myself down the madness tunnel when I'm enjoying my standard thunders just fine.

Never thought I'd see the day, a completely stock, standard version of any truck being something I would enjoy riding. As long as I've known about differences in gear I've always tried to get the lightest version of whatever truck I was riding.

Mooseknuckle666

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1952 on: April 10, 2024, 08:40:31 AM »
Anyone rode Thunder standards on a 14 inch wheelbase?

I found thunders work for me but I have a lot of 14 inch wheelbase decks because I’m coming off of a venture madness

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 473
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1953 on: April 10, 2024, 09:44:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Trying to ID these tiny thunders I’ve had in my storage. They may either be from around 2007 or 2017. Still says “made in USA” under the baseplate.

[close]

Standard thunders.
[close]
ID as far as what? I have a set of 149s that look like that, have same baseplates and I'm pretty sure they're from 2009. Did you ever have one of those pre made zip zingers? I think the 143 were only on those for a while at first. Or they're just standard 145s

Thunders came in hi and low for a while and from the photo it’s hard to tell the bushing color. Blue bushings used to signify low and clear yellow for high. Judging by the lack of kingpin clearance I would say those are lows. So 145 Thunder Low Team Edition. Also, they used to come in raw or polished and judging by how rough the casting is on the hangers those are specifically Thunder Low Team Edition 145 Raw.

Dad Board

• Rep: 90
« Reply #1954 on: April 10, 2024, 10:58:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Standard thunders.
[close]

I did have one of those prebuilt zingers but I’m like 99% sure it had black thunders that were even smaller than these. I’m just trying to get a time range on these because they may be from 2007-ish right before I stopped skating for a long ass time. I setup another board around 2017 trying to get back into skating but that didn’t last long and it would take me another 3 years to get fully hooked again. I just thought it would be cool if these trucks were from my younger days. It’s insane how small I used to ride my boards and back then I didn’t even consider truck sizing or wb or much of anything beyond board width, shape & brand.

To the other commenter who mentioned bushing color, they looked to be blue underneath all the grease and decay. I tried riding these as is with this little mini shaped board I setup as a cruiser/fuck around board and they barely even turned so I swapped out the bushings/pivot cups and they’re fine now. Really fun little setup on these

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1127
« Reply #1955 on: April 10, 2024, 06:10:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Standard thunders.
[close]
[close]

Thunders came in hi and low for a while and from the photo it’s hard to tell the bushing color. Blue bushings used to signify low and clear yellow for high. Judging by the lack of kingpin clearance I would say those are lows. So 145 Thunder Low Team Edition. Also, they used to come in raw or polished and judging by how rough the casting is on the hangers those are specifically Thunder Low Team Edition 145 Raw.

i agree, these look like the lows.
some of my very best skating came on some thunder lows.
the trucks were good, but before i spiral myself out, i’ll chalk it up to being 25 years ago.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1956 on: April 11, 2024, 05:37:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Standard thunders.
[close]
[close]

[close]

the trucks were good, but before i spiral myself out, i’ll chalk it up to being 25 years ago.

I know *I* chalk that up to 25+ years ago as I was killing in on an 8" Zero Lopez, Tensors with the sliders and darkstar wheels...that setup, wtf...

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1957 on: April 11, 2024, 07:28:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Standard thunders.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I know *I* chalk that up to 25+ years ago as I was killing in on an 8" Zero Lopez, Tensors with the sliders and darkstar wheels...that setup, wtf...

that’s sick you had the good sense to be skating an 8”. darkstar wheels were good at that time, especially in the longevity department.
i had some tensors….

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1958 on: April 11, 2024, 08:29:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Standard thunders.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

that’s sick you had the good sense to be skating an 8”. darkstar wheels were good at that time, especially in the longevity department.
i had some tensors….
25 years ago I had an 8.25 with 7.5 tensor lows with the sliders but it's because I was a dummy who didn't know anything and the guy at the shop also turned out to be a dummy who didn't know anything. I can't say I did my best skating but even now I can't get away from riding trucks way smaller than the deck so it had to have had some effect on me

CarcassToss

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1959 on: April 11, 2024, 10:16:56 PM »
Gotta one up both of you- I removed the slider and carved out wax and put it in its place. All so I could try to basically slappy noseslide this really long curved ledge for this part that I am still filming for to this day.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1960 on: April 11, 2024, 11:17:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Standard thunders.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i had some tensors….

My math is probably off a couple of years...but I could never really skate skinny boards I did try a 7.75 once, indy 129s, fucking hated it...I remember when I got back into it (13+ years ago or so?) I picked up an 8"/139s...instantly hated it and jumped straight to an 8.3 with thunder 149s (the old old low ones; the 149'ers).

someguy185

• Rep: 6
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1961 on: April 11, 2024, 11:49:58 PM »
First post on my spiral into the madness...

Back into skating after a 15 year break. Widest board I previously rode was around 7.8.

But, I have been riding the Tom Knox Navigator with some Thunder Team 148's, 53mm spitfires, and really enjoying it (had 2 of these boards in a row). Board is: width: 8.25" with length: 32", wheelbase: 14.375", nose: 6.625". tail: 7" shape is medium concave

I am going to try up sizing to 8.5. I am considering either keeping the same trucks or getting some 149 lights with the forged baseplates. Board is the Tom Knox debut: width: 8.5" with length: 32.18", wheelbase: 14.38", nose, tail, shape is unknown (can't find the details).

What different should I notice between keeping the 148 teams and switching to the 149 lights?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1962 on: April 12, 2024, 01:05:05 AM »
what page is the info for the new thunders on?
thanks in advance
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Fasttimes

• Rep: -45
« Reply #1963 on: April 12, 2024, 02:29:50 AM »

Back into skating after a 15 year break. Widest board I previously rode was around 7.8.

But, I have been riding the Tom Knox Navigator with some Thunder Team 148's, 53mm spitfires, and really enjoying it (had 2 of these boards in a row). Board is: width: 8.25" with length: 32", wheelbase: 14.375", nose: 6.625". tail: 7" shape is medium concave

I am going to try up sizing to 8.5. I am considering either keeping the same trucks or getting some 149 lights with the forged baseplates. Board is the Tom Knox debut: width: 8.5" with length: 32.18", wheelbase: 14.38", nose, tail, shape is unknown (can't find the details).

What different should I notice between keeping the 148 teams and switching to the 149 lights?

Both those trucks would work. I would suggest more weight because that is what you grew up with. Super light trucks can hinder you in my opinion. My favorite truck is an INDY stage 8, 136. My friends can't ride my board but I grew up with weight on bolts. In reality, dude buy whatever is cheaper, you quit for 15 years. Your not in this forever.

someguy185

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1964 on: April 12, 2024, 04:55:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Both those trucks would work. I would suggest more weight because that is what you grew up with. Super light trucks can hinder you in my opinion. My favorite truck is an INDY stage 8, 136. My friends can't ride my board but I grew up with weight on bolts. In reality, dude buy whatever is cheaper, you quit for 15 years. Your not in this forever.

Thanks for the input. The additional context is that I’m pretty light and skate mostly ledges and manuals. Never really got on with Indy’s. I’ll stick with the 148 teams for now and see how I like the wider board.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1965 on: April 12, 2024, 11:13:45 AM »
what page is the info for the new thunders on?
thanks in advance

Some new'ish info here? All speculation of course.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=68020.6050

Daydream

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1966 on: April 12, 2024, 01:45:18 PM »
T2 thunders.. so new geometry and taller potentially? Saw chatter in spitfire f4 thread but figured continue here

CarcassToss

« Reply #1967 on: April 12, 2024, 01:59:50 PM »
I added speculation in there. Didn't measure the trucks, but they appear slightly taller and the tester confirmed that the geometry is massively different. Said they are super turny and his kingpin nut was quite cranked. Had brought his board in the shop to find harder bushings that will fit. Thinks that they will offer it as an option and not a replacement for Thunders. FWIW they normally ride Indys and don't care for current Thunders quite as much and found these new T2 (or whatever they will be called) very close to a slightly lower Indy. They honestly sound pretty great but hopefully they're not too tall and don't alter the pop too much because I personally like that about the Thunders I have ridden.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #1968 on: April 12, 2024, 02:18:32 PM »
I added speculation in there. Didn't measure the trucks, but they appear slightly taller and the tester confirmed that the geometry is massively different. Said they are super turny and his kingpin nut was quite cranked. Had brought his board in the shop to find harder bushings that will fit. Thinks that they will offer it as an option and not a replacement for Thunders. FWIW they normally ride Indys and don't care for current Thunders quite as much and found these new T2 (or whatever they will be called) very close to a slightly lower Indy. They honestly sound pretty great but hopefully they're not too tall and don't alter the pop too much because I personally like that about the Thunders I have ridden.
I like how low my Thunder 147 hollow lights are. If the biggest difference is just geometry and height, I think I’ll stick with the regular ones because the geometry is perfect for tech skating.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1969 on: April 12, 2024, 02:32:20 PM »
From the mason clips...doesn't have the tell tale hanger look of either an indy or thunder?

LeDave

• Rep: 34
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #1970 on: April 12, 2024, 02:42:47 PM »
Expand Quote
From the mason clips...doesn't have the tell tale hanger look of either an indy or thunder?

[close]

That looks like a Indy? I can't tell from the photo, but if there is a crease line through the left to the right, it's a Stage 11.

CarcassToss

« Reply #1971 on: April 12, 2024, 03:17:57 PM »
It's not a stage 11, it's the new Thunders. You can tell because the old Thunder hanger also has a slight barrel near the wheels where the wings meet the axle area.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1972 on: April 12, 2024, 04:15:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I like how low my Thunder 147 hollow lights are. If the biggest difference is just geometry and height, I think I’ll stick with the regular ones because the geometry is perfect for tech skating.

what size wheel you skate with the 147 lights?

i like 147s, on the forged baseplate i can barely manage 52s.
i agree they are nice for the tech.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1973 on: April 12, 2024, 04:57:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

That looks like a Indy? I can't tell from the photo, but if there is a crease line through the left to the right, it's a Stage 11.
It's not a stage 11, it's the new Thunders. You can tell because the old Thunder hanger also has a slight barrel near the wheels where the wings meet the axle area.

Could be lighting, but I'm not seeing the indy roll/crease, and the wings near the pivot are straight (kinda like what was mentioned in the spit thread, bit old venture, maybe even old school thunder vibes) VS the below (see that little dip before the pivot).

« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 06:53:01 PM by Xen »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #1974 on: April 12, 2024, 05:21:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

what size wheel you skate with the 147 lights?

i like 147s, on the forged baseplate i can barely manage 52s.
i agree they are nice for the tech.
51s

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 130
« Reply #1975 on: April 12, 2024, 06:49:14 PM »
When are these new Thunders coming out?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1976 on: April 12, 2024, 06:53:53 PM »
When are these new Thunders coming out?

Uhhh, nobody knows? Could be next drop, could be next year. They sprang the 93s on us (tho we knew they may have existed thanks to Daddy Ben) and these have been cooking for quite some time with screens of the IKP versions and rumors...I don't believe they've even said publicly they're making a new one (and why would you want to damage current sales).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #1977 on: April 12, 2024, 07:13:15 PM »
i dont think they figured out the IKP.....it's not happening.....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1978 on: April 12, 2024, 07:20:22 PM »
Maybe they’ll just offer one since almost everybody else does right?

The bigger concern is whether they completely replace the current lineup or add this new version as an adjacent option much like ace classics and AF1s

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #1979 on: April 12, 2024, 07:53:54 PM »
I hope they're not completely replaced
It's time to stock up on all of the 147s I can get my hands on before they're gone forever