Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69478 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2021, 10:26:38 AM »

Expected a different baseplate bottom. Do you think it looks different on the inverted ones?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2021, 11:00:05 AM »
Hell now I'm curious how bad the original ones were that any improvement is considered monumental. I would like to try a pair of the old Lows or ones with hex head.

The lows in like 2000, with the infamous Mariano shape and spitfire 49s
One of my fave setups all time

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2021, 11:15:00 AM »

Expected a different baseplate bottom. Do you think it looks different on the inverted ones?

Me too. I'd imagine it would have to be? If it isn't then the nut would just spin, unless the cavity of the plate is narrow enough...and I doubt they go to the hassle of creating two different plates..it's royal after all, not enough following to spend that kind of dough on different molds. I was hoping for a Film style plate that could accommodate both; this should be the norm these days with all the IKP option out there.

@144p can you (or did you) take a photo of your plate if you ever take them off?

I should be getting mine today or tomorrow and will snap some pics of the inverted plate bottom.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2021, 12:23:31 PM »
Mine was the same, nut fits in there perfectly and doesn’t spin, probably designed that way so they use the same base for both standard and down low kingpins.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2021, 12:47:43 PM »
From crail

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2021, 02:12:51 PM »
From crail

Sweet 52mm

Mine was the same, nut fits in there perfectly and doesn’t spin, probably designed that way so they use the same base for both standard and down low kingpins.

Nice. I'll probably drop a small amount of epoxy in there for piece of mind when I swap in the krux pins. Did the krux washer lip (on the bottom) fit in the top bushing hole? Wishful thinking I know.

Still pretty sic they were able to beat Indy ti by 10g..without anything hollow and using the same heavy ass style IKP (which is why I'll swap to the Krux DL). That Indy yoke design is really keeping their weight up compared to everyone else's hanger design. Trying to beat the Indy Mid at it's own game?

Aren't Thunder 149 Teams around 360? (I'm referencing teams since Thunder doesn't make a non-hollow forged).

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2021, 06:44:34 PM »
Expand Quote
From crail

[close]

Sweet Urgh 52mm

Expand Quote
[close]

338g for the 139 is right around the weight of a Thunder 147 Team Standard which can already feel too light and dainty to get a solid pop. 344g for the 144 should be great, definitely picking up a pair when they go on sale.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2021, 07:04:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Hell now I'm curious how bad the original ones were that any improvement is considered monumental. I would like to try a pair of the old Lows or ones with hex head.
[close]

The lows in like 2000, with the infamous Mariano shape and spitfire 49s
One of my fave setups all time

Found these in my basement.  Somehow this set of Royals was only the skate equipment from when I was younger (other than an autographed Toy Machine deck from the 2001 Games in Philly) that survived my mom moving a few years back.

The kingpin clearance on these was hilarious.  The kingpin sticks out like a quarter inch above the surface of the hanger.  I don’t think they really turned (I also rode tight trucks back then) but I remember them having great pop and responsiveness for flip tricks.  Wish the new Royals brought back the painted Royal logo on the hanger.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2021, 07:06:33 PM »
They’re doing it likely by using a shittier/lighter alloy. It doesn’t say which one they’re using but some of the lighter alloys have a rough casting finish and are usually strong, but brittle. Just like the alloy used on their trucks that had famously low durability. The baseplate doesn’t look very chunky so I bet there’s savings there. What’s weird to me is if they’re facing the end of the hangers why not do it like Ace so you don’t need a washer?

Also it sounds like the geo changed but they’re saying it’s the same? Turn sounds pretty good, which isn’t how Royals used to be.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2021, 07:07:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
From crail

[close]

Sweet Urgh 52mm

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

338g for the 139 is right around the weight of a Thunder 147 Team Standard which can already feel too light and dainty to get a solid pop. 344g for the 144 should be great, definitely picking up a pair when they go on sale.

Hold on, you think 6 grams makes a huge difference in pop feel on a board that weighs several thousands? Makes no sense.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2021, 07:27:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
From crail

[close]

Sweet Urgh 52mm

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Hold on, you think 6 grams makes a huge difference in pop feel on a board that weighs several thousands? Makes no sense.

I've (mostly) committed the 5.2 trucks weight to memory for the major brands, so I use that as a guide for where a truck is light or heavy. Thunder is light (around 340g), Venture is medium (around 360g), Indy is heavy (around 380g), with hollow kingpin / axle reducing 20g each.

And I was saying that 344g (right around a Venture 5.6 V-Light) would be a good weight for a 8.25 deck for me personally. Should have prefaced that statement.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2021, 07:50:56 PM »
You also said 6g lighter was too light. Venture cast are 380-390, Indy forged are 340-350, so there are options in every brand that end up near your sweet spot. Plus pop feel is more than weight.

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2021, 08:18:12 PM »
On a side note i was Dming Vincent  Alvarez about his setup, i mentioned this thread he assumed we were talking shit about the new royals. I said it was basically the opposite he was hyped.

Oh and he rides the new Royals Loose and puts 53mm wheels.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2021, 04:30:22 AM »
You also said 6g lighter was too light. Venture cast are 380-390, Indy forged are 340-350, so there are options in every brand that end up near your sweet spot. Plus pop feel is more than weight.
venture casts range from 350g-370g and only get near 380 for 5.8/6.1

do agree with you on the pop feel
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2021, 06:50:32 AM »
I can't believe royals are looking to be the truck that cures slaps truck madness. I'm probably gonna get a pair of inverted ones and do the krux conversion if it's dead simple given the baseplate design. I still can't believe tensor of all brands nailed high trucks, and now royal might be the one's to nail low trucks lmao

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2021, 07:09:30 AM »
harnessing the power of sacred geometry to scrape a crooked grind on a calf high ledge

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2021, 07:52:13 AM »
So pals far smarter than me....

Given the wb on the these... What wheelbase deck would these really shine on?

Or are they like independents that feel good on everything pretty much.

I only skate 14-14.25 wb decks cos I ride ventures
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

LebowskisRug

« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2021, 08:06:27 AM »
I can't believe royals are looking to be the truck that cures slaps truck madness. I'm probably gonna get a pair of inverted ones and do the krux conversion if it's dead simple given the baseplate design. I still can't believe tensor of all brands nailed high trucks, and now royal might be the one's to nail low trucks lmao

There are a few posters who are stoked in this thread that are never cured. Your statement about Tensor couldn’t be more wrong as there’s like 2 people that are really devoted to them and everyone else has bent axles or been shipped the wrong trucks.

And Royals aren’t low.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2021, 08:40:09 AM »
I shouldn’t have read this thread. It’s got my gear madness acting up.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2021, 08:48:23 AM »
These trucks look like they have mad potential but my madness is mostly cured...

If I open the door to Royal I might be forcing myself down the rabbit-hole again...

Ace 44s to AF1 66s and Thunder 151s have me covered... don't they?

DON'T THEY????

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #140 on: November 02, 2021, 08:57:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There are a few posters who are stoked in this thread that are never cured. Your statement about Tensor couldn’t be more wrong as there’s like 2 people that are really devoted to them and everyone else has bent axles or been shipped the wrong trucks.

And Royals aren’t low.

Really? On the other weird truck thread I've seen it's been all love for tensor ATGs, but anecdotal ofc. I also love mine lol. Also, my man, you are being pedantic with the low thing imo. People are just excited to try something new, let people be hyped and find out for themselves if the trucks suck or not. You seem bitter at royal throughout the thread and I don't really get why?

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #141 on: November 02, 2021, 09:02:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
From crail

[close]

Sweet Urgh 52mm

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

6gs of weight savings is like having hollow kingpins instead of solid king pins. they need to start using magnesium. i love how smooth tensors mag lights grind and the weight savings is alot more!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #142 on: November 02, 2021, 09:51:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

And Royals aren’t low.
[close]

Really? On the other weird truck thread I've seen it's been all love for tensor ATGs, but anecdotal ofc. I also love mine lol. Also, my man, you are being pedantic with the low thing imo. People are just excited to try something new, let people be hyped and find out for themselves if the trucks suck or not. You seem bitter at royal throughout the thread and I don't really get why?

There’s only a handful of people in the weird truck thread, but 99% of posters are on one of the big 3 plus Ace.

I’m being pedantic because 52 is the height of many Thunders, which aren’t a low truck. I also hate the million clarification posts because people are hearing different terms thrown around about the same thing.

I’m not bitter, it would be good if the product didn’t suck as bad as those of old. At the same time Slap comes up first if you Google things about skating and best not to just add to misinformation. Most of my madness came from reading stuff on here that really was just justifying purchases and not anything super substantial.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: November 02, 2021, 10:32:49 AM »
I'm a gearhead/nerd, my excitement for these (or any new truck) was same as it was for the indy mids (well an indy mid ti), Lurpiv and the upcoming Tensor redesign.

8.25/8.5 sizing (no 8.3s ML/ACE C)
Mid - 51-53mm (always been my preference)
Lightweight
Turns like an ACE/Indy/Theeve/ML
Good grind clearance
Doesn't stretch the wheelbase out too far
Doesn't have fucked QC (jury is out on the royals)
IKP (optional, I tinker with my shit so having this option is a bonus)

I don't care who makes it/what brand, and would been camp lurpiv if they weren't 55mm, I don't skate transition or big wheels enough to need a truck that tall.

Low means different things to different people; I consider low to be anything ~51mm, less than half the Thunder models can be 52mm. if you opt for team plates.

Standard 55
Mid 52-53
low 49-51

51 and 53.5 are sort nebulos neither a low or a mid. And no one makes a 54? Indy forged being the closest at 53.5.

If tensor ATGs were mids, I'd not skate anything else. They grind better than anything out there and I haven't bent any axles.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 10:41:48 AM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2021, 12:57:52 PM »
Interesting that the IKP is an off/silver almost brass color (anyone remember what old kingpin metal used to look like?). Plenty of grind clearance.

Bushing quality seems up to snuff, no rough cuts or bubbles. Top washer doesn't bind when the truck is compressed (it's a larger bigger/flatter top washer tho 'less cupped' like Thunders and less form fitting like Indy or ACE. I'm going flat washers anyway as usual.

Well, well well, what do we have here, no need for epoxy:

Hand poured BABY! Following in ACE's groove

Indy/Royal/[old] Krux downlow. Just a hair shorter than the Indy, roughly the same height as the krux, LOTS more thread...weird
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 01:29:30 PM by Xen »

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2021, 01:24:47 PM »
Damn, didn’t expect that.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2021, 01:28:06 PM »
Damn, didn’t expect that.

Me either! Pleasantly surprised tho.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2021, 02:20:04 PM »
Looks like they're just getting their pivot cups from the same supplier as Ace in regards to the AF1's? That one also looks kinda fuckey, no? Venture hi's offer the same kingpin clearance stock and these probably turn about the same...not trying to be a hater but idk if these are it ya'll.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2021, 02:35:04 PM »
That pivot cup looks like shit. Also, seems like there isn’t nearly as much material above the axle compared to other brands from a quick Google Image comparison. Casting looks pretty rough.

I don’t get why you’d switch to a flat washer without riding them as they came since the washer is almost flat anyways.

One big question is about the kingpin nut. If it’s floating in the hanger like that and the bushings compress under impact then it has the potential to move and create stress. It makes sense to always have it pressed, glued, cast, or held in in some manner.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #149 on: November 02, 2021, 02:39:18 PM »
not really sure whos market share they are after
seem like middle ground everywhere
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo