Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69593 times)

Royalty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #330 on: December 14, 2021, 01:35:58 PM »
I'm thinking about these trucks every single day and it's driving me mad. I'm considering buying them (currently -20% at my local) simply to stop thinking about them. I do not need trucks.
I'm trying to at least wait for a hollow version because they're way heavier than what I'm used to but I'm struggling.

So here's the question: Do you think I'm gonna regret NOT waiting for the hollows?
I'm used to thunder titaniums (Measured effective wheelbase at +3.18 and 305 g for mine).

I came from 147 Thunder Titaniums, with bones mediums and no washers, which were ground down to a pulp so I had the very same concerns as you! I went with the 139 IKP and in all honesty the weight is barely noticeable as the reduction in wheelbase more than makes up for pop feel and lightness when lifting the nose. Besides that, my board doesn’t fly away in the wind and I can actually feel it slap the bottom of my feet when I catch a flip trick! Didn’t know what I was missing until I tried these bad boys, cured my madness! Plus if you’re worried about weight just do a few slappy a on your local chunky curb and you’ll be back to thunder titanium weight in no time :-)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #331 on: December 14, 2021, 10:19:26 PM »
I'm thinking about these trucks every single day and it's driving me mad. I'm considering buying them (currently -20% at my local) simply to stop thinking about them. I do not need trucks.
I'm trying to at least wait for a hollow version because they're way heavier than what I'm used to but I'm struggling.

So here's the question: Do you think I'm gonna regret NOT waiting for the hollows?
I'm used to thunder titaniums (Measured effective wheelbase at +3.18 and 305 g for mine).

I'm a weight whore (usually), Ti if it's an option, otherwise forged and hollow.

With the Royals, I don't seem to mind at all (but I did bump to an 8.5 so it's heavier over all anyway) and that was coming off 8.25s with either 148 team hollows or ti 144s (or Tensor ATG mags).

Honestly, unless it's Indy, I can get by with standard thunders/ventures/royals. Thunder forged hollows are stupid light and would only nab them in 149s+

If hollow forged royals ever see the light of day (dropping even lower) I'd bite.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2021, 05:20:11 PM »
Looks like hollow versions already exist in Asia according to their IG stories, although I agree the weight of the standards are in a pretty sweet spot right between too light and too heavy.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2021, 07:13:29 PM »
Anyone else try to use their krux IKP tool on their royals? Looks like it's a smaller Allen tool.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #334 on: December 15, 2021, 07:31:10 PM »
dont skate royals but trucks in the 340-360g range have been my jam for a minute
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #335 on: December 15, 2021, 08:01:08 PM »
Looks like hollow versions already exist in Asia according to their IG stories, although I agree the weight of the standards are in a pretty sweet spot right between too light and too heavy.

I was about to call BS then I saw their stories and they have an Ultralight version in Japan. Now I feel jilted.

Anyone else try to use their krux IKP tool on their royals? Looks like it's a smaller Allen tool.

Tried the Grind King one I've had for 20 years, no dice on the Royal trucks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #336 on: December 15, 2021, 11:04:48 PM »
Hollows usually change the weight by 20g, so it won't be substantial honestly. Plates are where the weight realllllly drops.

I took a look on IG and looks like the ultra lights are hollow kingpin and axle with the 139s being 88g lighter in total compared to the raws. My kanji is a little rusty so someone feel free to correct me if I'm off

Edit: 4th pic has a chart that shows a 60g difference

« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 11:33:45 PM by FatGuy92 »

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #337 on: December 16, 2021, 05:22:16 AM »
Damn, debating between the hollows or the IKPs assuming I can get hollows in a 149. Only thing I'm worried about with IKPs is them loosening over time, though I never had that problem personally when I skated some krux downlows like 10 years ago so hopefully I wouldn't with these either

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #338 on: December 16, 2021, 07:17:57 AM »
Hollow axles sketch me out. Don't trust the strength cause I'm heavy. Hollow kingpins also seem stickier on grinds. Solid axles and kingpins all day.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2021, 08:32:14 AM »
30g difference per truck is a hell of a lot of a weight drop, puts them in Thunder Lights territory.

I'm not mad, I'm impressed!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #340 on: December 16, 2021, 09:26:04 AM »
Hollow axles sketch me out. Don't trust the strength cause I'm heavy. Hollow kingpins also seem stickier on grinds. Solid axles and kingpins all day.

Hollow axles are stronger than than a solid axle of equivalent mass and material. In addition, a hollow axle is much more likely to rebound under extreme stress than a solid axle, which is more likely to break. Now obviously the mass of a hollow axle is nominally lower on a truck of the same size, and they could use shitty materials, but by and large no one need worry about the strength of hollow axles.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #341 on: December 16, 2021, 10:43:46 AM »
So there won't be any IKPs with hollow axles? That's what I'm looking for

logjammin

« Reply #342 on: December 16, 2021, 05:10:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hollow axles are stronger than than a solid axle of equivalent mass and material. In addition, a hollow axle is much more likely to rebound under extreme stress than a solid axle, which is more likely to break. Now obviously the mass of a hollow axle is nominally lower on a truck of the same size, and they could use shitty materials, but by and large no one need worry about the strength of hollow axles.

Do you have some links you could post supporting this? Not asking in a dickhead way, just genuinely curious because in my mind it just doesn't make sense for something with less material in the center to be stronger.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #343 on: December 16, 2021, 05:42:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Do you have some links you could post supporting this? Not asking in a dickhead way, just genuinely curious because in my mind it just doesn't make sense for something with less material in the center to be stronger.

Same, would like to read more on this.

What's the deal with Royal and Royal Japan having different release schedules? Are they different companies run independently? Would make more sense to release all 3 variants (Standard, IKP, Ultralight) in the US with a bigger market, or all 3 at 1 go since it was barely a month since the new model was released.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #344 on: December 16, 2021, 08:34:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

What's the deal with Royal and Royal Japan having different release schedules? Are they different companies run independently? Would make more sense to release all 3 variants (Standard, IKP, Ultralight) in the US with a bigger market, or all 3 at 1 go since it was barely a month since the new model was released.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

so i think it has to do with it being a ring and being able to bend, disperse the force and rebound vs a solid piece that is stiffer/more solid. for instance, metal baseball bats that aren't solid end up being a trampoline for the ball vs a wooden bat that compresses the ball more & end up with less help from the bat itself. sorry to baseball this up

edit: to add to the baseball bat example is how metal bats tend not to break as much as wooden ones when they are hit at weaker points

mzlzzz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #345 on: December 17, 2021, 08:20:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

so i think it has to do with it being a ring and being able to bend, disperse the force and rebound vs a solid piece that is stiffer/more solid. for instance, metal baseball bats that aren't solid end up being a trampoline for the ball vs a wooden bat that compresses the ball more & end up with less help from the bat itself. sorry to baseball this up

edit: to add to the baseball bat example is how metal bats tend not to break as much as wooden ones when they are hit at weaker points

This is partially true.

A tube of the same diameter with the same material properties as a rod will not be as strong in bending or shear. There is just less material to address the same forces. Bending forces are equal parts tension and compression on opposite sides of the same shape, which are measured as force/area - PSI.  In the case of a rod (solid axle) or a tube (hollow axle) you have less area to deal with the same force - your ass stomping down on that puny piece of metal.

This is an oversimplification, but to explain why it's partially true.... if you take the amount of area of metal included in the rod and turn it into a larger diameter tube, you've taken the same material and pushed it farther away from the axis that separates the compression and tension forces comprising the bending force... it functions as an internal lever.

This internal lever is efficient to the 4th degree, meaning that for every unit of displacement you move the force, you've increased the efficiency of the material by a factor of 4 - the same material now uses it's geometry more efficiently. because of this, it is possible for a tube that is slightly larger, but with less material, to be as efficient as a rod. but, if the diameter is the same, the lever is the same.... so the only way for the rod and axle to be more efficient is through the amount of material, and it's properties.

That is a long-winded explanation, but the rules are simple. If the diameter and materials are the same, the solid shape will always be stronger than the hollow one because it can spread the force out over the increase in sectional area.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #346 on: December 17, 2021, 01:05:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This is partially true.

A tube of the same diameter with the same material properties as a rod will not be as strong in bending or shear. There is just less material to address the same forces. Bending forces are equal parts tension and compression on opposite sides of the same shape, which are measured as force/area - PSI.  In the case of a rod (solid axle) or a tube (hollow axle) you have less area to deal with the same force - your ass stomping down on that puny piece of metal.

This is an oversimplification, but to explain why it's partially true.... if you take the amount of area of metal included in the rod and turn it into a larger diameter tube, you've taken the same material and pushed it farther away from the axis that separates the compression and tension forces comprising the bending force... it functions as an internal lever.

This internal lever is efficient to the 4th degree, meaning that for every unit of displacement you move the force, you've increased the efficiency of the material by a factor of 4 - the same material now uses it's geometry more efficiently. because of this, it is possible for a tube that is slightly larger, but with less material, to be as efficient as a rod. but, if the diameter is the same, the lever is the same.... so the only way for the rod and axle to be more efficient is through the amount of material, and it's properties.

That is a long-winded explanation, but the rules are simple. If the diameter and materials are the same, the solid shape will always be stronger than the hollow one because it can spread the force out over the increase in sectional area.

rad, ty!

logjammin

« Reply #347 on: December 17, 2021, 01:18:08 PM »
I'm going to guess truck companies aren't using any different or stronger material for the axles or kingpins, just the chromoly/steel. So they're charging extra for less strength and probably cheaper parts?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #348 on: December 17, 2021, 03:30:48 PM »
w e i g h t   s a v i n g s
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #349 on: December 21, 2021, 01:36:51 PM »
get hyped

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #350 on: December 21, 2021, 03:39:35 PM »
get hyped

Came here to say this. I am hyped. Ben is dope as hell, love his videos.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #351 on: December 21, 2021, 08:00:22 PM »
Expand Quote
get hyped
[close]

Came here to say this. I am hyped. Ben is dope as hell, love his videos.

What a trooper, could have scored a free set but opt'd to own up to picking some up.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #352 on: December 21, 2021, 09:01:17 PM »
Gives him free rein to talk shit about them if he doesn't like it. So far I'm really loving my pair, even at the standard weight.

Edit: so much for just sticking to 1 pair of trucks and giving the rest away, the madness never leaves!

Still miffed that Royal Japan got the super light versions exclusively while the rest of the world got the regular ones. I wonder if Royal and Royal Japan are the same company or loosely affiliated I'm a joint venture.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 10:40:32 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2021, 10:33:10 PM »
get hyped

@crail I would love to have a review pair  8)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #354 on: December 23, 2021, 05:58:00 PM »
Still miffed that Royal Japan got the super light versions exclusively while the rest of the world got the regular ones. I wonder if Royal and Royal Japan are the same company or loosely affiliated I'm a joint venture.

Really bizarre. Its either a logistics issue or, for some reason, Crail is catering to a market we don't know about.

I'd bet good money anyone in who picked up a pair, given the option would have probably opted for the hollows...especially seeing how rare the mindy hollows are.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #355 on: December 23, 2021, 07:09:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Really bizarre. Its either a logistics issue or, for some reason, Crail is catering to a market we don't know about.

I'd bet good money anyone in who picked up a pair, given the option would have probably opted for the hollows...especially seeing how rare the mindy hollows are.

I have a friend in Japan now on holiday, hopefully he can pick up a pair for me. Downside is skate stuff there is insanely expensive, a pair of the Ultralights is around $80 which could get you a pair of Titaniums with any other brand.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: December 23, 2021, 09:18:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have a friend in Japan now on holiday, hopefully he can pick up a pair for me. Downside is skate stuff there is insanely expensive, a pair of the Ultralights is around $80 which could get you a pair of Titaniums with any other brand.

I'm ready for some Royal IKP Hollows tho =)

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #357 on: December 24, 2021, 07:26:28 AM »
Does anyone have a photo of the regular, non IKP versions that clearly shows the kingpin clearance? I'm curious how it is on the standard trucks.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #358 on: December 24, 2021, 09:11:52 AM »
What's the crook pinch like on these puppies?

I'm on venture low 5.2 at the moment so hard act to follow
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: December 24, 2021, 09:28:32 AM »
What's the crook pinch like on these puppies?

I'm on venture low 5.2 at the moment so hard act to follow

If Venture 5.2 Lo is a 10, these are a solid 8.5 for me. The surfy turn compensate for the pinch. Slide performance just below Ventures because the baseplate is slightly recessed.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m