Author Topic: New royal trucks  (Read 69558 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
Re: New royal trucks
« Reply #810 on: December 11, 2022, 02:54:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I grabbed a set of Pig bushings for my Ventures but they are too tall. 

They fit perfectly in the new Royals.  They are also super nice. I would say as good as the stock bushings.  Skated in colder temps, upper 30s, and they stayed consistent just like the stock bushings as well.

If you need something a little stiffer they are a great alternative.
[close]

What kind of top washer did you use? Doesn't seem like any stock washers fit them. Bones?
[close]

Stock Royal washer worked perfectly

Ok that's weird and good to know. The wider top didn't work at all with thunder, venture or ace washers, had to use some flat washers that are wider than bones.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 03:08:36 AM by goodatmeth »

Shrimp Po-boy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #811 on: December 22, 2022, 07:25:26 PM »
Two seshes in on the 149 hollows.

I think they grind better than my indy trucks did? They seem to be pushing through crusty stuff that usually stopped my Indys dead in their tracks. They turn great as well. I’m Liking them so far.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #812 on: December 23, 2022, 12:13:17 AM »
What decks/kick steepness has everyone been riding these with? My pop feels a bit heavy on an enjoi r7 14.25 wb. I made the change from Thunder hollow lights and along with the squishy bushings they don't feel great at the moment.

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #813 on: December 23, 2022, 12:48:47 AM »
What decks/kick steepness has everyone been riding these with? My pop feels a bit heavy on an enjoi r7 14.25 wb. I made the change from Thunder hollow lights and along with the squishy bushings they don't feel great at the moment.

I am riding control boards (rave, studio, poetic collective) with medium to high concave.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #814 on: December 23, 2022, 04:17:23 AM »

They feel way lighter than thunder hollow lights for me. In fact the pop was too light for me, can only skate them on steep/long decks

sebbo

« Reply #815 on: December 23, 2022, 08:18:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They feel way lighter than thunder hollow lights for me. In fact the pop was too light for me, can only skate them on steep/long decks

For me they felt heavier for sure. Skated hollow lights as well before. Skating the same shape ever since I started skating royals. The studio decks were just a little bit longer (32,2). I now skate poetic collective. They are 31,75.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #816 on: December 23, 2022, 12:11:45 PM »

I switched over to ACE Classic bushings (with stock royals I had lots of thread showing, plus white bushings are sweet), so soft bottom/hard top; I find I can skate these slightly tighter than I would an Indy or Thunder without losing the ability to do what I want with them (much like riding ACEs with harder bushings).

Use them with everything, but find they work really well for me on longer WBs and mellow boards. My fav pairing thus far was the deathwish foy twin.

Ultra light plates and either solid axle 149/hollow 144 hangers.

Filthyphil222

• Rep: 7
« Reply #817 on: January 16, 2023, 05:10:51 AM »
I bought a pair and they felt good but a bit too surfy for my taste . I put my stock indy's bushings on . Didn't try them yet . I Would like to have somebody's opinion on that

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #818 on: January 16, 2023, 05:40:06 AM »
I bought a pair and they felt good but a bit too surfy for my taste . I put my stock indy's bushings on . Didn't try them yet . I Would like to have somebody's opinion on that

Stock indy bushing should be 1mm lower than royal. But if it feels right, that shouldn't matter.
Great trucks, have fun

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #819 on: January 16, 2023, 12:23:18 PM »
Yeah, go with what feels right. 1mm shouldn't throw any truck off that much (since all bushings compress over time anyway).

If those stock indys don't do it for you, I highly recommend ACE Classic bushings, dual duro so a bit snappier, and they're tall, like the royal stocks so you won't have kingpin threads showing; if you ride tight, try the ACE hards.

sebbo

« Reply #820 on: January 20, 2023, 05:56:38 AM »
I setup another pair (this time the standard ones) and I somehow regret not getting the IKPs again. So many threads showing really bothers me. Ordered the ace classics bushings and see how this will feel. Will report back.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #821 on: January 20, 2023, 01:30:21 PM »
I setup another pair (this time the standard ones) and I somehow regret not getting the IKPs again. So many threads showing really bothers me. Ordered the ace classics bushings and see how this will feel. Will report back.

Older pic, IKP/Ultra Light hangers (144 hollow). ACE classics, flat washers.

Pretty sure I've got a pic of the ultra plates with the same combo/but 149 solid axle hangers.

EDIT: Not the best pic but you can [kind of] see the nuts flush.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 10:09:36 PM by Xen »

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #822 on: January 20, 2023, 01:58:20 PM »
Ok not a newb but never used a flat washer for my trucks, what's the advantage?
Doesn't bend easily or less bushing warping?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #823 on: January 20, 2023, 02:36:07 PM »

More bushing warping :)

These are also sleeved (think bones).

On some trucks (Venture/Mini Logo), a flat washer will prevent binding of the hanger.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #824 on: January 20, 2023, 06:22:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

More bushing warping :)

These are also sleeved (think bones).

On some trucks (Venture/Mini Logo), a flat washer will prevent binding of the hanger.

So does it turn better? Top or bottom flat? I’ve wondered this too

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #825 on: January 20, 2023, 08:22:27 PM »

You'll get a bit less resistance and rebound, and it'll uncap your turning radius. If your trucks are already loose enough to your liking, there's no point.
Personally, I like barrel bushings that aren't too soft (90-92a), and an even firmer one on top, so I use flat washers to unlock their full turn. The opposite would be to use softer, conical bushings, but with cupped washers to keep them from mushing out.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #826 on: January 20, 2023, 10:03:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You'll get a bit less resistance and rebound, and it'll uncap your turning radius. If your trucks are already loose enough to your liking, there's no point.
Personally, I like barrel bushings that aren't too soft (90-92a), and an even firmer one on top, so I use flat washers to unlock their full turn. The opposite would be to use softer, conical bushings, but with cupped washers to keep them from mushing out.

Yep.

I use the dual duro ACEs on almost everything that comes with a stock barrel +flat washers. The sleeved washers bring back the small amount of rebound you lose.

It's like running trucks without washers, but without the slop.

With ACE and Indy there isn't much need, but in Ventures it was the best combo I've run in them, they become really swervy but still stable. I run them in thunders as well with a hard low top, stock bottom. Works great.

In the royals, the turn is firmed up with the use of the ACEs (stocks are very soft) but they're still very stable and responsive.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #827 on: February 13, 2023, 01:27:50 PM »
IKP version for $28/set at SkateWarehouse on the Daily Dose until noon on Feb 14

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/dailydose.html

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #828 on: February 13, 2023, 03:18:45 PM »
IKP version for $28/set at SkateWarehouse on the Daily Dose until noon on Feb 14

Just saw this on their site....pretty good deal since it has free shipping too and all sizes.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #829 on: February 13, 2023, 04:11:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My new wheels i bought are 55mm classic f4s...this is the only thing holding me back from these trucks. I see alot of people say the bushings are super soft and its a lowish truck...not sure if i would make it without getting wheelbite every second. I like my trucks fairly loose...that part of these trucks turning good makes me want them. Anyone rode 55mm wheels with these trucks?

Just saw this on their site....pretty good deal since it has free shipping too and all sizes.

Xen

• SLAP Pal

Roger__Kook

• Rep: 5
« Reply #831 on: February 14, 2023, 01:13:53 AM »
I like the coloured hardware, I'd definitely scrub off that ugly lettering before setting them up though.

fur lined sea

• Rep: 234
« Reply #832 on: February 14, 2023, 03:42:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

My new wheels i bought are 55mm classic f4s...this is the only thing holding me back from these trucks. I see alot of people say the bushings are super soft and its a lowish truck...not sure if i would make it without getting wheelbite every second. I like my trucks fairly loose...that part of these trucks turning good makes me want them. Anyone rode 55mm wheels with these trucks?

[close]

I skate 54s on Royals with no problems. You'll be fine. Crazy you started this thread and still haven't tried them.

Anyone still sticking with these trucks? Been on them for over a year now and I'm still happy with how they're going. Over the last year I went from Royal 144 standards, 139 standards and now settling on 144 lights. Still everything I want and need in a truck.

My bushings got a little mushy on hot days, so I bought Pig bushings as a back up. I haven't ended up using them yet so I won't try until next summer now. After skating Royals for a while the stock bushings seem fine, they do allow for a really nice turn so I don't really care that they end up feeling a little softer than most stock bushings. I wouldn't say they're super soft, they do stiffen up to a soft medium over a few sessions.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 03:50:05 AM by larry leadfoot »
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

sebbo

« Reply #833 on: February 14, 2023, 05:28:27 AM »
I am still rocking my first pair of the inverted ones but already grinding the axle on my front truck.
Got a new pair aligned but raws this time with ace classic bushings as Xen suggested, as I didn't like so many threads showing.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #834 on: February 14, 2023, 05:37:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I skate 54s on Royals with no problems. You'll be fine. Crazy you started this thread and still haven't tried them.

Anyone still sticking with these trucks? Been on them for over a year now and I'm still happy with how they're going. Over the last year I went from Royal 144 standards, 139 standards and now settling on 144 lights. Still everything I want and need in a truck.

My bushings got a little mushy on hot days, so I bought Pig bushings as a back up. I haven't ended up using them yet so I won't try until next summer now. After skating Royals for a while the stock bushings seem fine, they do allow for a really nice turn so I don't really care that they end up feeling a little softer than most stock bushings. I wouldn't say they're super soft, they do stiffen up to a soft medium over a few sessions.

Haven't ridden mine for a couple of months after telling myself to stick to just Ventures for the latter half of 2022. Definitely have a place for them with the 8.38s I have with 14.38 WB, when I finally get round to skating them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #835 on: February 14, 2023, 09:38:13 AM »
I still run mine, 144 ultralight hangers with IKP plates (from my 149s) and ACE Classic bushings.

I've been bouncing between them and ML these days...I wanted a bit wider truck but not 149 heft...the MLs grind better too  :-X
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 05:53:54 PM by Xen »

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #836 on: February 14, 2023, 10:04:47 AM »
last year i have been alternating thunders for 14 wb and roayls for 14.125 and 14.25, but now when it is freezing ourside royals feel better on anything. The bushings are definitely the better winter choice, as for the thunders - you know - a fuckin brick when the temp is low.

Xen

• SLAP Pal

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #838 on: April 20, 2023, 10:55:51 AM »
Got an email from Royal about new "fusion cast" trucks.  It says they are stronger than forged, not sure of any other differences.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #839 on: April 20, 2023, 08:27:57 PM »
Lol, my bad.  At first glance it looked like an ad for a new model.  Should have read more carefully.