Author Topic: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced  (Read 41746 times)

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
Re: New Ace AF1 *Low* announced
« Reply #270 on: April 28, 2022, 02:59:29 PM »
I’m always curious about the made in China folks…would they date someone from China?

Only if certain body parts were still manufactured at Ermico in San Francisco

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 569
« Reply #271 on: April 28, 2022, 05:33:15 PM »
I’m always curious about the made in China folks…would they date someone from China?
Probably not but they sure as hell love their Walmart crap. Murica! 🥴

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #272 on: April 28, 2022, 07:47:05 PM »
I’ve seen Chinese people lose their shit when they find out the sushi chef isn’t from Japan….

Anyhow….back to the trucks….

Did some manuals today…..I wasn’t grossly worse….they are insanely and maybe overly responsive….I could nose manual through a slalom course…if I could ever hold one for more than 4’….

But if you’re on a heelside and want to get to your toe side, it lets you no problem….I just lack balance…

These trucks finishing looks a lot like the new royals….

The trucks set up nicely in that regular Aces even 44’s….just seem like 149 or even 159’s….they are just shit kicker trucks…goes good with 8.5’s and some wide spitfires…..if you’re an 8.125, bones guy…..the lows are perfect….

diplodocus

• Rep: 170
  • long neck
« Reply #273 on: April 28, 2022, 09:41:29 PM »
I’m so i took these for a whirl today. side by side my 44 classics… and the grind is insanely smooth, like honestly borderline uncontrollable. From everything i heard about af1 i thought the grind was supposed to be sticky?

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #274 on: April 28, 2022, 10:08:52 PM »
Has anyone skated these compared to classic lows? Interested in hearing what the difference is. Looking for a thunder alterative

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1036
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #275 on: April 28, 2022, 10:24:49 PM »
Has anyone skated these compared to classic lows? Interested in hearing what the difference is. Looking for a thunder alterative

There is waaaaaaaaaaay more Ace turn/carve than the old Ace lows (which are great btw).

If you still want done thunder in your alternative but want some Ace or Indy turn, try the royals.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #276 on: April 28, 2022, 10:26:35 PM »
I’ve seen Chinese people lose their shit when they find out the sushi chef isn’t from Japan….

Did some manuals today…..I wasn’t grossly worse….they are insanely and maybe overly responsive….I could nose manual through a slalom course…if I could ever hold one for more than 4’….

But if you’re on a heelside and want to get to your toe side, it lets you no problem….I just lack balance…

The trucks set up nicely in that regular Aces even 44’s….just seem like 149 or even 159’s….they are just shit kicker trucks…goes good with 8.5’s and some wide spitfires…..if you’re an 8.125, bones guy…..the lows are perfect….

You sure about the finish? I’m looking at both right now and they’re miles apart.

Ace are smooth and shiny, royals pitted and dull in comparison.

I feel you on the manny stability, it’s a lot of work on these, especially if you’re not dedicated to that style of trick selection.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #277 on: April 29, 2022, 01:55:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm pretty sure AF1's are poured at the same factory as Paris longboard trucks. They're owned by Joey Pulsifer who is tight with Joey and Shrewgy. If you look on Paris' website their trucks, especially their "street trucks" have the same looking alloy and bushings/washers. He was also one of the first "pilots" to have the AF1's when they were testing them out on his IG posts and whatnot. I think he turned them onto the "proprietary" formula and they went with it.
[close]

That's probably a sure bet, looking at some Paris trucks (longboard trucks, not their street offerings which look more pitted) the finish is right on:

[close]

This is correct.

I'm one of the weirdos who bought the Paris street trucks and they're well made. Super duper turny but they were the tallest trucks I've ever skated..I felt like I was riding on top of a school bus or something. They were also heavy as shit and had really nice bushings that I tried to steal for my indys but I think they were longboard sized or something.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #278 on: April 29, 2022, 03:02:51 AM »
I’m so i took these for a whirl today. side by side my 44 classics… and the grind is insanely smooth, like honestly borderline uncontrollable. From everything i heard about af1 i thought the grind was supposed to be sticky?

I’d say it depends on what you’re grinding. I mainly grind unpainted curbs and I didn’t notice much of a difference. The AF1s might’ve been a bit “stickier” but the difference was negligible.

manysnakes

« Reply #279 on: April 29, 2022, 04:56:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm pretty sure AF1's are poured at the same factory as Paris longboard trucks. They're owned by Joey Pulsifer who is tight with Joey and Shrewgy. If you look on Paris' website their trucks, especially their "street trucks" have the same looking alloy and bushings/washers. He was also one of the first "pilots" to have the AF1's when they were testing them out on his IG posts and whatnot. I think he turned them onto the "proprietary" formula and they went with it.
[close]

That's probably a sure bet, looking at some Paris trucks (longboard trucks, not their street offerings which look more pitted) the finish is right on:

[close]

This is correct.
[close]

Paris street trucks ... Super duper turny ... tallest trucks ... heavy as shit ... nice bushings

Definitely the same manufacturer as Ace.

logjammin

• Rep: 365
« Reply #280 on: April 29, 2022, 06:37:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is correct.
[close]

I'm one of the weirdos who bought the Paris street trucks and they're well made. Super duper turny but they were the tallest trucks I've ever skated..I felt like I was riding on top of a school bus or something. They were also heavy as shit and had really nice bushings that I tried to steal for my indys but I think they were longboard sized or something.

I would have tried those street trucks out but the kingpin clearance looks non-existent. Seems like a good truck for someone like me that is heavy and prefers to not use risers, but definitely does cause I can't skate without them now. Did you have hangups or would you say they're worth trying out?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #281 on: April 29, 2022, 08:46:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You sure about the finish? I’m looking at both right now and they’re miles apart.

Ace are smooth and shiny, royals pitted and dull in comparison.

I feel you on the manny stability, it’s a lot of work on these, especially if you’re not dedicated to that style of trick selection.

Honestly, I just heard they were from the same factory from people who I trust…the polished look of the hanger looked similar.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: April 29, 2022, 08:52:12 AM »
New Royals | ACE AF1 Low

New royals are hardly polished, just saying. AF1s have the most mirrored finish I've seen this side of the Tensor Aluminum.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 03:18:46 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #283 on: April 29, 2022, 03:21:35 PM »
Fair ball I stand corrected…..

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #284 on: April 29, 2022, 03:44:42 PM »
If anyone wants a set of skated-only-once AF1 low 60s for reasonably below market price PM me.  Nothing wrong with them - just thinking I’d rather commit to Indy 159s if I’m going to spend a few weeks breaking in a new set of 8.75” trucks. 

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #285 on: April 29, 2022, 11:31:02 PM »
Not sure if this is a known Q/A issue, but when I was at the shop yesterday I was looking at a set of the lows and the kingpin on one was seriously misaligned.

Like at least an 5mm (~1/6 of an inch) visually off-center looking at the truck from the back - enough to actually notice it.

It might have just been bushing misalignment, but it appeared to be along the entire kingpin axis?

Forgot to take a picture but next time I stop in if they're still there I will.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 09:00:47 AM by SaySo »
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

LebowskisRug

« Reply #286 on: April 30, 2022, 08:55:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Re factory? I guarantee if Lurpiv went to these guys they wouldn’t be where they are…….
[close]

All this anti-Sino sentiment is so baffling, like 75% of the things you use every day and which work perfectly are not also made in China. Like people in China aren't capable of performing the basic task of pouring the metal for a truck, and if they failed all the time, that a company like Independent wouldn't just find another casting company. I can remember the same thing about Japanese products, and now we regard Japanese products with the same reverence we do for German - it's shorthand for expertly made.

I want to be clear my comment was sarcasm as I ride and enjoy Indy’s.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #287 on: April 30, 2022, 08:56:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Re factory? I guarantee if Lurpiv went to these guys they wouldn’t be where they are…….
[close]

All this anti-Sino sentiment is so baffling, like 75% of the things you use every day and which would perfectly are not also made in China. Like people in China aren't capable of performing the basic task of pouring the metal for a truck, and if they failed all the time, that a company like Independent wouldn't just find another casting company. I can remember the same thing about Japanese products, and now we regard Japanese products with the same reverence we do for German - it's shorthand for expertly made.
[close]

It's irritating...someone has to bring up China-made all the time (in this case someone who rides/prefers Indy/Mindys...)

Apparently the sarcasm completely missed you. I don’t give a flying fuck where a truck is made. I’ve often pointed out the irony of protectionist and borderline xenophobic arguments on here and been thoroughly kooked for it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #288 on: April 30, 2022, 09:01:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There is waaaaaaaaaaay more Ace turn/carve than the old Ace lows (which are great btw).

If you still want done thunder in your alternative but want some Ace or Indy turn, try the royals.

Just curious since you have all these and have spent time on them, although this is an Ace thread is there a case now where you would want to use Thunders again over say a Royal or Ace low?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #289 on: April 30, 2022, 09:53:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

All this anti-Sino sentiment is so baffling, like 75% of the things you use every day and which would perfectly are not also made in China. Like people in China aren't capable of performing the basic task of pouring the metal for a truck, and if they failed all the time, that a company like Independent wouldn't just find another casting company. I can remember the same thing about Japanese products, and now we regard Japanese products with the same reverence we do for German - it's shorthand for expertly made.
[close]

It's irritating...someone has to bring up China-made all the time (in this case someone who rides/prefers Indy/Mindys...)
[close]

Apparently the sarcasm completely missed you. I don’t give a flying fuck where a truck is made. I’ve often pointed out the irony of protectionist and borderline xenophobic arguments on here and been thoroughly kooked for it.

I’ve made several ‘protectionist’ (I prefer ‘buy local’ but hey), comments on this subject. I hope none of it was construed as xenophobic. My preference is buy the things made close, but I’m so thirsty for the gear gains, I’ll buy trucks from wherever. From the shop.

Since it’s been mentioned…I make a lot of comments, too many really, so I wouldn’t know where the kooks come from. And neither do you. Only bri…beetle juice knows the whole story.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #290 on: April 30, 2022, 10:06:09 AM »
There's nothing anti-Sino about wanting skate product made closer to home. There are so many great reasons to support local manufacturing. Ermico's history is deep (labor struggles and all) and it would be a shame to lose it.

With Covid and war who knows how hard it's going to get to get Chinese made goods on a reliable/ regular basis. Or if the Chinese economy outpaces the US's and their Middle Class climbs the economic ladder to such a level that the tables are turned and we can no longer afford to have goods made over there...

The US has shot itself in the foot by surrendering too much of its manufacturing capability... I know if I lost my job, a temp factory job would be more appealing than driving Uber.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #291 on: April 30, 2022, 10:46:13 AM »
There's nothing anti-Sino about wanting skate product made closer to home. There are so many great reasons to support local manufacturing. Ermico's history is deep (labor struggles and all) and it would be a shame to lose it.

With Covid and war who knows how hard it's going to get to get Chinese made goods on a reliable/ regular basis. Or if the Chinese economy outpaces the US's and their Middle Class climbs the economic ladder to such a level that the tables are turned and we can no longer afford to have goods made over there...

The US has shot itself in the foot by surrendering too much of its manufacturing capability... I know if I lost my job, a temp factory job would be more appealing than driving Uber.

This

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #292 on: April 30, 2022, 01:04:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

If you still want some thunder in your alternative but want some Ace or Indy turn, try the royals.
[close]

Just curious since you have all these and have spent time on them, although this is an Ace thread is there a case now where you would want to use Thunders again over say a Royal or Ace low?

Nope. If I want a low truck (~52) I'd go ACE>Mindy forged

Mid = Royal/Indy forged (tie)

If I rode tight trucks, Thunder / Venture (or Royals) for sure but I'd pick royals over thunder every time. I just prefer more carve than thunder provides (and less wheelbite...which if I skated tighter would they'd be fine).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 01:11:23 PM by Xen »

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #293 on: April 30, 2022, 03:36:43 PM »
Just got mine.

Bushings are lower/smaller

Height reduction is in the baseplate so if you don't like them like myself at least I can put hangers on Standard AF1 Baseplate.

I'm pretty fat but was surprised at how well they turned out they are not for me. Infact it made me realize I should put risers on my standards to make them even taller.

Tldr

There like a thunder that turns but deff not for us fatboys

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #294 on: April 30, 2022, 06:25:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It didn't; but sarcastic or not, it was still a shit post that did nothing more than try to stir the pot as it didn't add to the conversation...you were doing pretty good there for minute.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #295 on: April 30, 2022, 06:56:03 PM »
I put some hard bushings in the bottom as someone mentioned.  It mellowed them out for sure….I miss the giant manual pocket which my ventures had but like how tippy the nose is on nose manuals.

The pop is so light as the angle of a low truck meets shortened wheel base….

It swerves where normally a thunder will wheelbite.  The harder bushings has made them a bit more stable and passive. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #296 on: April 30, 2022, 07:13:22 PM »
I put some hard bushings in the bottom as someone mentioned.  It mellowed them out for sure….I miss the giant manual pocket which my ventures had but like how tippy the nose is on nose manuals.

It swerves where normally a thunder will wheelbite.  The harder bushings has made them a bit more stable and passive. 

Which brand (are they same height)? I'm thinking of swapping to a harder bottom duro, there's already too much exposed kingpin to start cranking the down further, but everything is so tall compared to the stock bottoms.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #297 on: April 30, 2022, 07:37:04 PM »
I agree….I crammed in some Indy barrels….not optimum….I considered some other top or some bullshit but I can’t be bothered….it pushed the height but for now it’ll do….

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #298 on: May 01, 2022, 01:46:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Which brand (are they same height)? I'm thinking of swapping to a harder bottom duro, there's already too much exposed kingpin to start cranking the down further, but everything is so tall compared to the stock bottoms.

I was just about to ask

Yeah these things are squirrelly! I finally know what you guys meant about that thing where it clicks or halts right before you wheel bite

I actually love that they went opposite thinking of traditional truck brands by redesigning the baseplate to make the truck lower than redesigning the hangar cause now I can just swap my other ace af1 hangar for my smaller board

Wouldn’t it have been better to find/swap a firmer top bushing to keep the geo intact? I’m just saying since we all love ace for the way they are angled and turn

Indy should have done this ace way of lowering the truck to have a better turning mid but I still love my Indy mids, reminds me of my early/mid 2000’s krux downlow 3.5 we all skated like tommy Sandoval
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 05:43:16 PM by rob »
yes

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #299 on: May 01, 2022, 06:36:45 AM »
I'm dreaming of a 51mm ace, so I gotta get 2mm risers somehow. I wish I could manage to grind the real 3ply risers down to 2mm, but I'm not sure about that. Any recommendations? I know mini logo makes 2.5mm ones.
I'd love to try every height from 49 to 52mm actually. Standards always felt a bit too high for me.