Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 207472 times)

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2022, 12:43:21 PM »
Thank you all for your responses, seriously appreciate it

@braksabbath - why do you hate wearing them, is it just uncomfortable?

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2022, 12:55:14 PM »
What does “surfy” mean in regards to truck feel/turn? 

Being able to carve, as if you were on a wave. Requires loose(r) trucks than what most ride. Surfy trucks allow you to turn at speed smoothly.

Indys are surfy (slow(er) wider arc), compared to say ACE (squirrly), Venture (swervy, with the right bushings), Thunders (twitchy), and Krux (shitty, I kid, I kid).

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2022, 12:59:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Being able to carve, as if you were on a wave. Requires loose(r) trucks than what most ride. Surfy trucks allow you to turn at speed smoothly.

Indys are surfy (slow(er) wider arc), compared to say ACE (squirrly), Venture (swervy, with the right bushings), Thunders (twitchy), and Krux (shitty, I kid, I kid).

Lurpivs are surfier than Indies.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2022, 01:17:44 PM »
What happened to the orange hair kid on Primo???? I feel like he fell of the earth somehow. Am I tripping??

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2022, 01:19:15 PM »

They’re comfortable enough and I forget they’re there after a few minutes but there’s the irrational fear of my thumb sticking to the ground while the rest slides and you can’t grab the board for transition grabby things. I should just wear them more.

Plastic on your board = Hellride
Plastic on your body = Whack

Also I love these things. Fits under pants, very comfy, provides some warmth in winter. Got em after my knee cap went full speed into a rail two months ago and I still have a bone bruise.
https://g-form.com/knee-pads-mountain-bike-skateboard

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2022, 02:57:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They’re comfortable enough and I forget they’re there after a few minutes but there’s the irrational fear of my thumb sticking to the ground while the rest slides and you can’t grab the board for transition grabby things. I should just wear them more.

Plastic on your board = Hellride
Plastic on your body = Whack

Also I love these things. Fits under pants, very comfy, provides some warmth in winter. Got em after my knee cap went full speed into a rail two months ago and I still have a bone bruise.
https://g-form.com/knee-pads-mountain-bike-skateboard

The shin guards like this are pretty great too, may grab a set of these ones.  My current ones are a little janky.  I don't mind shinner pain but spent too much on tattoos for a board to fuck em up.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2022, 11:48:24 PM »
Got a pair of 187 wrist guard from my local and wow, they really do work. Tested them today an landed primo just once this session and the wrist guard significantly reduced impact. Will start wearing one on my left hand (im reg) every time now

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2022, 02:43:08 AM »
What happened to the orange hair kid on Primo???? I feel like he fell of the earth somehow. Am I tripping??
Do you mean Giovanni vianna on primative? I think he hurt his knee shortly after going pro then covid happened. I don't follow him on any social stuff tho but I'm guessing it's what happened to most non Americans during lockdown and they had to go home

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2022, 10:42:27 AM »
Dumb question, but what is right sort of bearing offset for making trucks skate wider VS narrower than they are? I understand putting washers on the inside vs outside but how does the position of the bearing seat play a part? Are there wheels in the 50-60mm range that feature notable bearing offset variation?
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2022, 11:40:26 AM »
Dumb question, but what is right sort of bearing offset for making trucks skate wider VS narrower than they are? I understand putting washers on the inside vs outside but how does the position of the bearing seat play a part? Are there wheels in the 50-60mm range that feature notable bearing offset variation?
Freestyle wheels are offset and usually about 55mm. I think Powell g bones are offset. Mini cubics definatly are.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2022, 03:27:20 PM »

There are a few wheels that do have specific offsets, or even wider wheels in general, vs more narrow wheels in general.

As said the Mini Combo wheels have a little, Spitfire Lock Ins (or Flat outs) have a more significant offset, or looking at bigger wheels, Combo elite 60 mm have a huge width, as do Slimeballs.

I guess too it depends on how much you want, and if you want wider truck / wheel profiles or more narrow.

Some boards I had setup needed to go down a size in Indy trucks to accommodate the Slimeballs, otherwise they stuck out way too much.

I have also run Bones Mini Cubics (the widest wheel on the market maybe?) on Indy 139s and still fit well on a 10" board, but that is extreme and not really something for a normal setup.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2022, 04:15:10 PM »
is there any technique to working in bushings? I normally just crank them down the day i get the new trucks and just go from there but they usually split a bit as a result (which has never bothered me). are you meant to start out loose and slowly tighten them like a 1/4 turn each time you skate to prevent that? Just trying to see if I Can save them a bit

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2022, 05:53:44 PM »
Is Scram grip tape any good? What about Madness?
Pretty sure it’s Jessup. No idea what Madness uses.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2022, 08:26:49 PM »
is there any technique to working in bushings? I normally just crank them down the day i get the new trucks and just go from there but they usually split a bit as a result (which has never bothered me). are you meant to start out loose and slowly tighten them like a 1/4 turn each time you skate to prevent that? Just trying to see if I Can save them a bit
I always went with the don't tighten new trucks thing, wear them in and tighten a bit at a time. If you know you want tighter trucks maybe try some harder bushings.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2022, 08:36:59 PM »
What was the idea behind Cellblock 3 riser pads? Do they have any advantage over modern riser pads?

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2022, 09:04:59 PM »
What was the idea behind Cellblock 3 riser pads? Do they have any advantage over modern riser pads?

Fucking up nose and tail slides? I'm guessing the design concept is to reduce pressure cracks but hardware doesn't need to be that tight anyway.

YBOS

• Rep: 14
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2022, 09:56:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Fucking up nose and tail slides? I'm guessing the design concept is to reduce pressure cracks but hardware doesn't need to be that tight anyway.

Ive always thought it would be like a mini-lapper, but pressure cracks also makes sense

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2022, 10:02:45 PM »
Relatedly, do pressure cracks around the baseplate affect anything to a noticeable degree? I notice some boards get them and others don’t, but haven’t personally noticed any difference under my feet. 

nevrwasben

« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2022, 10:32:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I’m old & only ever saw them used on the back truck with the flush side toward the tailslide area, so not fucking with any slides…

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2022, 11:15:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
I’m old & only ever saw them used on the back truck with the flush side toward the tailslide area, so not fucking with any slides…

Yeah, pretty sure that was some back truck only shit, and you used a regular riser up front. I always assumed they were to help prevent hanging up on disasters and such, but it was probably just all marketing.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2022, 11:25:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

Yeah, pretty sure that was some back truck only shit, and you used a regular riser up front. I always assumed they were to help prevent hanging up on disasters and such, but it was probably just all marketing.
If it's just for the back truck weird they did the arrow with "nose". Would of been as easy to do tail. I guess everyone knew what to do with them at the time tho

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2022, 11:57:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

Ah I’d never seen these used before, back truck only makes a lot more sense for an old school board, I was picturing those facing both outwards on a popsicle  ;D

Jowiththeflow

• Rep: 18
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2022, 12:56:32 AM »
Boards used to break right in front of the back truck then, due to the tapered shapes.
Cellblocks were designed to prevent that.

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2022, 06:32:59 AM »
I’m on my fourth set of wrist guards (used pro tech and triple 8 in the past ) over the last two years, and I have the 187s now. Love them. Comfy, they fit over my gloves and under the sleeves of a hoody when it’s cold, and since I like to catch myself on my wrists when I eat crap, they work.
I usually keep a set till the stitching goes to shit and/or they smell too bad.
Old man skater essentials.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2022, 06:59:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Would you say it has more to do with turn than lean?   How about return to center?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2022, 07:36:14 PM »
Relatedly, do pressure cracks around the baseplate affect anything to a noticeable degree? I notice some boards get them and others don’t, but haven’t personally noticed any difference under my feet.

I had always gone with the assumption that pressure cracks of any kind running lengthways along the board were almost of no issue at all, but any cracks running across the board (or zig zagging through) were a total "uh ohhh" and that board was then swapped out, given away or if not causing issues, used as a cruiser with no normal action.

There are still some of my old boards being used by others that I thought were done, but they all had definite cracks through the middle or across the trucks, not pressure cracks lengthways.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2022, 08:04:36 PM »
Boards used to break right in front of the back truck then, due to the tapered shapes.

Interesting, I assume they worked since people used them but went away as vert died off and woodshops got better. I kinda want to get a NOS set and see what's up  :o

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2022, 08:47:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Interesting, I assume they worked since people used them but went away as vert died off and woodshops got better. I kinda want to get a NOS set and see what's up  :o

I think it was also the fact that those fish shaped decks were suddenly being used on jump ramps a whole lot more, which meant people were going through them so much more quickly, heavy landings on the tail, breaking through the most narrow part of the back bolts from the big drops after launching, but then as boards went to a more street style, smaller wheels (compared to the usual 60mm wheels) and risers were being discarded so there wasn't quite the need for them.

The extra height on the board, being the half inch riser height of most of them was what ultimately killed off the interest in products like that, although I do recall seeing a quarter inch version some time, along with metal versions and other things from that same era.

Either way, the jump ramp craze caused a lot of headaches for people, but then shops sold a lot more boards as a result, so board sales went through the roof for the "street pros" as the "vert pros" board sales became almost non existent.

As for getting your hands on any, there are still some around, but many collectors have hiked the price of that sort of stuff right up and unless you can find some (or even just one for the back truck) from a clearance lot, it is going to cost you a fair bit to get hold of one.

They are all the old school truck pattern as well, but that would still be easy enough to drill out a deck and use the six hole baseplate from the bigger standard indy truck sizes.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2022, 11:21:02 PM »
Do you also „repair“ decks? I often get split laminates on either side of the kicks from landing primo and if I leave it unattended those become chips, so I started glueing them and put them in clamps overnight, then sand them with leftover griptape. This works quite well and the glued bits seem to be stronger than before.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2022, 01:21:23 AM »
Do you also „repair“ decks? I often get split laminates on either side of the kicks from landing primo and if I leave it unattended those become chips, so I started glueing them and put them in clamps overnight, then sand them with leftover griptape. This works quite well and the glued bits seem to be stronger than before.
For whatever reason I haven't had to do it in years but if I ever chipped a board I'd always keep the chip then superglue/clamp it back on when I got home.
My first pro board was that blue BW habitat Brian wenning and it delammed like wet Weetbix. Used pretty much a tube of glue on it after every skate. Turns out that was just something that happened with habitat and alien boards a lot in the early 00s