Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 48394 times)

klobynrenn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1500 on: August 05, 2022, 05:25:35 AM »
Cutting the tongue centring straps on shoes - yay or nay? Got a couple pairs of NBs that are slightly too snug for my wide feet so was considering cutting out the elastic straps, but wasn’t sure if the results would be negligible. Also considered only cutting halfway through each strap in the hope it’d provide a bit more room without causing the tongue to slip around but again, don’t know if that would really make much difference

vicious cycle

• Rep: 96
« Reply #1501 on: August 05, 2022, 07:05:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I know it's not really shoes and gear but..
What would be good specs for a mini ramp ?
With good i mean, good for beginners but also for advanced skaters.
We managed to get the city to build a new park in my town.
They give us 650K €. At the moment we are planing everything and i think the park would benefit from a mini ramp.
Maybe with some extensions.
[close]
This is at Waterloo/Fernside Sydney. I loved this ramp I think it was about 4-5 feet high. Was enjoyed by beginners and skilled skaters. Has since been updated as a concrete ramp, but I'm assuming it's considerably more expensive. I think a bit of a trap people fall for is thinking catering to beginners means making tiny parks but usually they fucking suck and are barely fun for more than ten mins.
[close]
Looks kinda perfect. I just got an email from the company that builds the park.
They think about a mini out of wood, 32 feet wide , 2,8 feet high with 2 extensions of 5 feet high..
Sounds kinda to low
[close]

I think the old Fernside / Waterloo ramp was 3.5 in the middle and 4.5 or so on the extension, but it has been too long since skating it anyway.

Measure heights of things, so 3 feet is just over waist high (90 cms) and 5 ft is about chest / shoulder high (150 cms) which could definitely work for everyone, with 6 ft being over head height for some people.

Overall width is the main thing.  Having a ramp that is not wide enough is a real pain, but having something that is proportional to the height and allows good lines is also something worth considering.

I think having the middle fairly wide with matching extensions on facing ends, one end taller or different to the other end, can really work, like a lop sided H shape, so middle 3 ft, one set of extensions at one end being 4 ft high, then the other set of extensions being 5 ft, so you can skate a 3 ft halfpipe, a 4 ft halfpipe or a 5 ft half pipe, or use the extensions to get a lot of speed to grind or slide across the lower middle section.

This is what I built in a shed and has been amazing fun.  My ramp is on the lower side, just to fit it in and be proportional to the shed dimensions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-YGWfbFeku/
Thanks so much man, Amazing info and i really like your ramp.  Can I use your pic as an example to show the other guys ?
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1502 on: August 05, 2022, 07:36:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I know it's not really shoes and gear but..
What would be good specs for a mini ramp ?
With good i mean, good for beginners but also for advanced skaters.
We managed to get the city to build a new park in my town.
They give us 650K €. At the moment we are planing everything and i think the park would benefit from a mini ramp.
Maybe with some extensions.
[close]
This is at Waterloo/Fernside Sydney. I loved this ramp I think it was about 4-5 feet high. Was enjoyed by beginners and skilled skaters. Has since been updated as a concrete ramp, but I'm assuming it's considerably more expensive. I think a bit of a trap people fall for is thinking catering to beginners means making tiny parks but usually they fucking suck and are barely fun for more than ten mins.
[close]
Looks kinda perfect. I just got an email from the company that builds the park.
They think about a mini out of wood, 32 feet wide , 2,8 feet high with 2 extensions of 5 feet high..
Sounds kinda to low
[close]

I think the old Fernside / Waterloo ramp was 3.5 in the middle and 4.5 or so on the extension, but it has been too long since skating it anyway.

Measure heights of things, so 3 feet is just over waist high (90 cms) and 5 ft is about chest / shoulder high (150 cms) which could definitely work for everyone, with 6 ft being over head height for some people.

Overall width is the main thing.  Having a ramp that is not wide enough is a real pain, but having something that is proportional to the height and allows good lines is also something worth considering.

I think having the middle fairly wide with matching extensions on facing ends, one end taller or different to the other end, can really work, like a lop sided H shape, so middle 3 ft, one set of extensions at one end being 4 ft high, then the other set of extensions being 5 ft, so you can skate a 3 ft halfpipe, a 4 ft halfpipe or a 5 ft half pipe, or use the extensions to get a lot of speed to grind or slide across the lower middle section.

This is what I built in a shed and has been amazing fun.  My ramp is on the lower side, just to fit it in and be proportional to the shed dimensions.

[close]
Thanks so much man, Amazing info and i really like your ramp.  Can I use your pic as an example to show the other guys ?

Yes, easy.   

Anything I put up is open to whatever.  I mainly do it to help others, give info, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

vicious cycle

« Reply #1503 on: Today at 05:17:23 AM »
What's the most breathable cupsole shoe ?
I'm really struggling with hot feet and its shortening my sessions a good amount.
I'm running the Joslin 1 atm. Basically because they advertise a cooling effect with the new tong. But my feet are burning in them, even with thin socks.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
« Reply #1504 on: Today at 05:27:13 AM »
I'm really struggling with hot feet and its shortening my sessions a good amount.
I'm running the Joslin 1 atm. Basically because they advertise a cooling effect with the new tong. But my feet are burning in them, even with thin socks.
Never had a skate shoe that was actually that breathable even if that was one of its selling points so my trick was always stab everywhere that's not in a high wear area with an exacto knife a bunch of times and make sure your holes go all the way thru. Or if you have chisels get one that's a kinda acute angle stab and twist so you get a little circle hole. Got me thru some Aus summers. 

vicious cycle

« Reply #1505 on: Today at 06:16:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Never had a skate shoe that was actually that breathable even if that was one of its selling points so my trick was always stab everywhere that's not in a high wear area with an exacto knife a bunch of times and make sure your holes go all the way thru. Or if you have chisels get one that's a kinda acute angle stab and twist so you get a little circle hole. Got me thru some Aus summers.
Gonna try this. Never thought about it but makes perfect sense.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #1506 on: Today at 06:30:14 AM »
Yo 90s guys what was the deal with the longboards in the mid 90s? Not like a sector 9 just a regular board that was 35 long or something. I think Fred gall skates one in timecode but it's kinda hard to tell. Was it just a dumb fad? (I'm guessing yes because it never came back) https://youtu.be/uSrKrJfPsI0

I was too young and midwestern to know what was going on, but one time I needed a new deck and my mom took me to the skate shop to buy the cheapest thing they had, which turned out to be a Consolidated deck on closeout. This thing was a fucking longboard, easily 1.5"-2" longer than my friends' standard 7.75" decks they were skating. It may have even been an Alan Peterson pro model. Either way, it was a fucking boat and I hated it.

Also, did Timecode always look that shitty? That's gotta be one of the most unwatchable video parts I've seen which wasn't fourth-generation VHS dub. I could barely make out anything.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

vicious cycle

« Reply #1507 on: Today at 07:44:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
So I just used a Drill . Pretty quick solution. Made a few 6mm holes on all non wear areas. The drillbit is a mess now but I used an old one so..
Thanks .

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 386
« Reply #1508 on: Today at 09:48:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Yo 90s guys what was the deal with the longboards in the mid 90s? Not like a sector 9 just a regular board that was 35 long or something. I think Fred gall skates one in timecode but it's kinda hard to tell. Was it just a dumb fad? (I'm guessing yes because it never came back) https://youtu.be/uSrKrJfPsI0
[close]

I was too young and midwestern to know what was going on, but one time I needed a new deck and my mom took me to the skate shop to buy the cheapest thing they had, which turned out to be a Consolidated deck on closeout. This thing was a fucking longboard, easily 1.5"-2" longer than my friends' standard 7.75" decks they were skating. It may have even been an Alan Peterson pro model. Either way, it was a fucking boat and I hated it.

Also, did Timecode always look that shitty? That's gotta be one of the most unwatchable video parts I've seen which wasn't fourth-generation VHS dub. I could barely make out anything.
Alien uploaded the whole timecode video pretty recently but it still doesn't look nice. If anyone had access to a good copy you'd think they would so maybe it never looked good. I only watch Fred and Lennie's parts anyway.
https://youtu.be/AA6qRPWTtb4

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #1509 on: Today at 09:53:46 AM »
Does independent have a drop cycle? I'm interested in titaniums and my shops dont have 149s and I can't find em on parade or SPOT or my go to's. I don't need em right now I'm just wondering if NHS has a schedule. Should I email them

edit: Or alternatively could I ask KCDC or Labor to order them
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #1510 on: Today at 10:06:32 AM »

I find my Puigs pretty breathable, not sure about the newest drop though.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1262
  • It’s 1990 boys, let’s get rid of the skeletons.
« Reply #1511 on: Today at 10:52:33 AM »
Sounds like we’ve got a hotstepper on our hands, boys!
https://youtu.be/w0N4twV28Mw

SLAP is a pants message board that sometimes talks about skateboarding

Rafael

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1512 on: Today at 12:07:47 PM »

Tiago 1010 mesh toe versions. Toe and all the way up the tongue is breathable mesh. Anyone remember how breathable the Nike SB tre was?

vicious cycle

« Reply #1513 on: Today at 12:21:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Sounds like we’ve got a hotstepper on our hands, boys!
https://youtu.be/w0N4twV28Mw
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxNzOl5yYgHQ2LHG8XoadUJbPOkySjjE8C

vicious cycle

« Reply #1514 on: Today at 12:25:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tiago 1010 mesh toe versions. Toe and all the way up the tongue is breathable mesh. Anyone remember how breathable the Nike SB tre was?
Nice, looks promising !

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
« Reply #1515 on: Today at 12:35:09 PM »
The new Ishod looks meshy, my wife ordered some but they were too large for her but there weren‘t any smaller ones available.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro