Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 207503 times)

Fooj and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

backside_frontside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -296
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2100 on: November 25, 2022, 08:06:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's up with the weird, seemingly nonsensical board sizes like 8.06", 8.3", 8.4", 8.47", etc? Do people really think there's a noticeable difference between 8" and 8.06" or 8.47" and 8.5"? Or is it just placebo marketing?
[close]

Bought a Baker Deck in 8.475 a while ago thinking i wouldn't notice the difference to 8.5 anyway.
I was absolutely wrong.
Felt much smaller to me.
I could've adjusted to it but didnt want to.
[close]

That one is interesting though.

Normal 8.5 x 32 (and a bit) with 14.5 wb, compared to the shorter 8.475 at about 31.8 with 14.25 wb, the overall width difference being about 1 mm from the two I have here, but yes it does make such a difference in the feel of them.

As said previously, alternating longer to shorter to mix up the sizes a bit, to try to keep everyone happy, for some brands.

For other brands, it almost seems like they try to come up with the most weird or unusual number combinations, just to have something different, or someone was high when they did them and thought it would be funny.

I don't go too deep into it but if it is about the right size and shape and feels good, then that is that.

It's because of fractions of an inch aren't nice as decimals and rounding of those numbers. For instance...

1/16" = 0.0625 - an example is 8.06 DLXSF boards
1/8" = 0.125 - the 8.125 is common to see but can be rounded to just 8.1
3/8" = 0.375 - another common size that is rounded up to 8.38
3/16" = 0.1875 - an example is the 8.18 FA/Hockey board

And no, I don't think an 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch is gonna make a big difference.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2101 on: November 25, 2022, 08:11:07 AM »
What trucks are Hockey boards best paired with in your opinion? I noticed there is a mix of their team riding for Ace, Indy, and Thunder (mostly thunder i think)

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -296
« Reply #2102 on: November 25, 2022, 08:15:46 AM »
What trucks are Hockey boards best paired with in your opinion? I noticed there is a mix of their team riding for Ace, Indy, and Thunder (mostly thunder i think)

I'd say the fact that the whole team rides different trucks tells you that the boards pair just fine with any truck brand. Vincent Touz and Caleb Burnett are on Venture too so that covers the big four.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2103 on: November 25, 2022, 02:04:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's up with the weird, seemingly nonsensical board sizes like 8.06", 8.3", 8.4", 8.47", etc? Do people really think there's a noticeable difference between 8" and 8.06" or 8.47" and 8.5"? Or is it just placebo marketing?
[close]

Bought a Baker Deck in 8.475 a while ago thinking i wouldn't notice the difference to 8.5 anyway.
I was absolutely wrong.
Felt much smaller to me.
I could've adjusted to it but didnt want to.
[close]

That one is interesting though.

Normal 8.5 x 32 (and a bit) with 14.5 wb, compared to the shorter 8.475 at about 31.8 with 14.25 wb, the overall width difference being about 1 mm from the two I have here, but yes it does make such a difference in the feel of them.

As said previously, alternating longer to shorter to mix up the sizes a bit, to try to keep everyone happy, for some brands.

For other brands, it almost seems like they try to come up with the most weird or unusual number combinations, just to have something different, or someone was high when they did them and thought it would be funny.

I don't go too deep into it but if it is about the right size and shape and feels good, then that is that.
[close]

It's because of fractions of an inch aren't nice as decimals and rounding of those numbers. For instance...

1/16" = 0.0625 - an example is 8.06 DLXSF boards
1/8" = 0.125 - the 8.125 is common to see but can be rounded to just 8.1
3/8" = 0.375 - another common size that is rounded up to 8.38
3/16" = 0.1875 - an example is the 8.18 FA/Hockey board

And no, I don't think an 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch is gonna make a big difference.

Yeah for sure.

One in particular that I didn't take a pic of was pretty funny.

Something like this (Element on BBS wood)

8.330 x 32.0666
N: 6.99332 T: 6.4949
WB: 14.223322

It was the strangest thing in terms of numbers, like someone thought it would be fun messing with people.

When I measured it, the board came out about 8 3/8" x 32" with 7" nose, 6.5" tail and 14.25" wb.

I like riding the 8 3/8" width boards on 14.5 wb, but that one found a new home - short wb and the shape was just weird too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2104 on: November 25, 2022, 08:51:35 PM »
How did 8.0 decks fall out of fashion so hard? I'm used to seeing 8.125 decks on clearance, now shops are packed to the rafters with 8.0 decks they can't move.

All the guys I know who used to skate 8.0 have moved to 8.25 and up, only a handful of shorter guys, ladies and skaters from the 2000s still ride them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2105 on: November 26, 2022, 11:07:37 AM »
How did 8.0 decks fall out of fashion so hard? I'm used to seeing 8.125 decks on clearance, now shops are packed to the rafters with 8.0 decks they can't move.

All the guys I know who used to skate 8.0 have moved to 8.25 and up, only a handful of shorter guys, ladies and skaters from the 2000s still ride them.
If I had to guess it was when 8.25 trucks became widely available? Maybe Ace was first to that but I think Thunder was before Indy. Here's Indy's product intro video with a date on it:
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #2106 on: November 26, 2022, 07:18:56 PM »
I wanna build this. Anyone have something similar and recommend dimensions, specifically the angle of the bank?
I’d probably want it around a foot tall

PrairieSkater

« Reply #2107 on: November 26, 2022, 07:30:06 PM »
Bill Withers - Lovely Day has been stuck in my head all day.
Does anybody know what part or edit it’s on?
I’m thinking early 2010.

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #2108 on: November 26, 2022, 08:11:17 PM »
I’m thinking early 2010.

PrairieSkater

« Reply #2109 on: November 26, 2022, 10:06:43 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m thinking early 2010.
[close]

Damn that's right! Thank you.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2110 on: November 27, 2022, 05:26:59 AM »
I wanna build this. Anyone have something similar and recommend dimensions, specifically the angle of the bank?

I thought of doing this but mocked it up and realized the angled side isn't really that fun. You don't really slappy the same way you'd ride up it. It looks like a 45-50 degree angle (off vertical) and I found that I'd want something around a 70 so I'd have to slam into it, but that doesn't really work if it's 12" tall

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #2111 on: November 27, 2022, 06:11:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I thought of doing this but mocked it up and realized the angled side isn't really that fun. You don't really slappy the same way you'd ride up it. It looks like a 45-50 degree angle (off vertical) and I found that I'd want something around a 70 so I'd have to slam into it, but that doesn't really work if it's 12" tall
Plus unless you just want to slap up onto a grind and drop off you need to make a really long ledge for it to be worth it. Something different to achieve the same thing is make a solid little triangle prism that you can butt up against ledges to slappy on. Still prob want it at least 30 inches long if you want to hit it at an angle up or down.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2112 on: November 28, 2022, 05:43:26 AM »
is the nfg mfg bushing program finished?
bushings felt too mushy but the pivot cups were perfect
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #2113 on: November 28, 2022, 09:23:05 AM »
Can anyone who has worn the Passport Workers  Club Jeans or Diggers Club Pants comment on the sizing and fit compared to Carhartt relaxed fit and Polar ‘93 denim?

With Carhartt pants (relaxed fit twill utility, rugged flex relaxed fit canvas) I go for either 35x32 or 36x32 for some extra room in the waist, and with Polar ‘93 the 34x34 fits well.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
« Reply #2114 on: November 28, 2022, 11:15:24 PM »
why did my mom think that life wasn't a fashion show? I mean beyond not having the luxury to think of it that way, is there any reason why its morally or otherwise wrong to think of it that way?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #2115 on: November 29, 2022, 01:47:15 AM »
why did my mom think that life wasn't a fashion show? I mean beyond not having the luxury to think of it that way, is there any reason why its morally or otherwise wrong to think of it that way?

If you're a model in a fashion show, people care about what you're wearing.
In real life, nobody gives the tiniest fuck about what you're wearing.
So I'm team mom

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #2116 on: November 29, 2022, 02:38:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you're a model in a fashion show, people care about what you're wearing.
In real life, nobody gives the tiniest fuck about what you're wearing.
So I'm team mom
I think it does matter a bit but more from the other side and it can kind of break your brain a bit. Also growing up without much money etc it brings a lot of resentment to the haves who think they're better than you because they have better stuff than you.
So for me yes I notice when somebody has a bunch of nice stuff but I immediately think they're some dickhead with zero social skills desperately trying to overcompensate.
Mumsy did you a favour you could of thought somehow you were interesting because you had Nike's and a nice jacket.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #2117 on: November 29, 2022, 06:03:55 AM »
Who does the SkateVideoSite? When you search Beach House, Shane O'Neill's "Shane Goes' part isn't listed, he skates to The Hours off Bloom.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #2118 on: November 29, 2022, 07:54:01 AM »

Even though I sort of dress like shit and work from home in my pajamas, I also think people tend to minimize how important clothing and style are. I don't mean the churn of fashion as an industry, but fashioning clothes in a style to represent something about yourself seems to be a nearly innate and fundamental characteristic of being human. This is no surprise, since we are hairless apes with brains which demand we express ourselves abstractly and artistically.

The morally questionable part is when this leads you to consuming vast quantities of poorly made clothing which exists to be worn a handful of times and then disposed of.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #2119 on: November 29, 2022, 08:01:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Plus unless you just want to slap up onto a grind and drop off you need to make a really long ledge for it to be worth it. Something different to achieve the same thing is make a solid little triangle prism that you can butt up against ledges to slappy on. Still prob want it at least 30 inches long if you want to hit it at an angle up or down.

what i would do... make the banked part 45 degree instead. then have a raised curb at the top instead of just a round coping. and that is also the height of the ledge on the other side. i think that would make way more sense to skate it like that.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #2120 on: November 29, 2022, 08:10:13 AM »
Who does the SkateVideoSite? When you search Beach House, Shane O'Neill's "Shane Goes' part isn't listed, he skates to The Hours off Bloom.

wanna say it's @Rumpelnoskin iirc?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1307
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2121 on: November 29, 2022, 01:39:47 PM »
Sorry to say SkateVideoSite has been slipping. In the last few years somebody had a part to a certain song which I caught on Skateline but that part or song is not listed on the site
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
« Reply #2122 on: November 29, 2022, 02:54:14 PM »
Did they recently make Formula Fours more white or were my last set just that yellowed from months of skating?  I feel like the set I just picked up more resemble the standard Spitfires than other F4s I’ve had recently…

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2123 on: November 29, 2022, 03:01:08 PM »
Did they recently make Formula Fours more white or were my last set just that yellowed from months of skating?  I feel like the set I just picked up more resemble the standard Spitfires than other F4s I’ve had recently…

I've definitely had some whiter/less potato wheels lately. Wonder if they switched up the formula a bit or if it just varies batch by batch

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2124 on: November 29, 2022, 04:29:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've definitely had some whiter/less potato wheels lately. Wonder if they switched up the formula a bit or if it just varies batch by batch

I don't know how long they sit somewhere before ending up here, or even how much UV light they are exposed to, but definitely the most recent wheels out here have been way lighter in colour than the previous shipment or other older ones still there from the last drop - can definitely see the difference in the skate shop cabinet between a few sets.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

vktrvghn

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2125 on: November 30, 2022, 01:15:10 AM »
How are Indy 159s on an 8.5? I switched over from a huffer to an 8.75 eagle but the bigger tail is really throwing off my pop.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #2126 on: November 30, 2022, 08:32:03 AM »
How are Indy 159s on an 8.5? I switched over from a huffer to an 8.75 eagle but the bigger tail is really throwing off my pop.

thats a pretty serious hotrod but it can work. i personally prefer the opposite though. i went up to 9" for my 159s lol.

what do people think about Speed Cream? I tried it before and seemed like it helped. you want the tiniest drop possible. i used "2 in 1 electric motor oil" on my bearings before and even a drop of that is way too mcuh. the bearings were just swimming. eventually they dried out again and were spinning amazing but it was hard to get a smaller amount applied with this 2 in 1 stuff. is speed cream basically the same thing but it just comes out in a way smaller dosage? or is it more ideal for this type of lubrication?

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #2127 on: November 30, 2022, 08:43:45 AM »

worked just fine for me, skated 159s on 8.5s for like 2 years with no issues

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #2128 on: November 30, 2022, 09:15:09 AM »

Been doing that for about a year with conical fulls and id say the edge of my wheels is exactly flush with the edge of my deck.  Works though.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
« Reply #2129 on: November 30, 2022, 09:16:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't know how long they sit somewhere before ending up here, or even how much UV light they are exposed to, but definitely the most recent wheels out here have been way lighter in colour than the previous shipment or other older ones still there from the last drop - can definitely see the difference in the skate shop cabinet between a few sets.

As long as we don’t hit the Bones wheels territory of bleached whiteness I’m good with it haha