Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 209463 times)

Nacho Maildrop

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2550 on: February 11, 2023, 05:51:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone have Dooks (the 1/16) silencers?
How are they? I'm thinking I might cop as the ground near mine is rough as fuck and I want something to make the ride rattle my teeth less
[close]

I ran a set. I didn't notice the difference. They definitely got smushed and began falling apart. Being an idiot, I loosened my bolts thinking it would make a difference and it messed up my baseplates and skating was off.
[close]

They mainly exist to keep hardware from rattling loose. I’ve found them helpful to get about a millimeter of lift to get forged baseplates closer to cast height and feel less tin-y. No impact absorption whatsoever.
[close]

Thanks for the input troops

I guess that leads me to a new question: I want to reduce my board vibrating like fuck whenever I ride places- would shock pads even help with this? Or should I just put up with the vibration. I've always assumed shock pads and risers are a noob trap (unless you're riding wheels bigger than 53 mm)
[close]

A lot of people cut up a bike tube (or any other thin rubber sheet scrap) to fit under the trucks and it works well, minimum height addition, maybe 1mm tops, which generally speaking does the job and reduces vibration of the hard metal of the baseplate on the wood.

It is not hard to do, easy to cut up and will fit with almost any bolts too.

An option anyway, but buying a set of those pre made thin rubber pads is easier for some people too.

I love shock pads. My setup right now is the first since early 2020 that hasn't had them. My favorite are the newer 1/16" Ace ones, they do the trick without adding too much height and will work with other trucks that I've tried (Indy and venture). The pink krooked risers are also nice, semi soft if you're not trying to go full shock pad. They're also slotted so they'll fit whatever.

But yeah, I just like how they smooth out the ride when I am going point a to b. Haven't been doing that too much but I'm sure I'll bring them back if/when I do.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2551 on: February 11, 2023, 07:16:32 PM »
Here’s one Brimmo will get a kick out of: one of my set-ups has leather riser pads.
They were mfg’d. by a skate accessory company called Big Top (I think?) out of Massachusetts or something.
Anyway, they’re an anomaly & I couldn’t resist setting them up.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2552 on: February 12, 2023, 05:06:34 AM »
Here’s one Brimmo will get a kick out of: one of my set-ups has leather riser pads.
They were mfg’d. by a skate accessory company called Big Top (I think?) out of Massachusetts or something.

Ha yeah!

You like a little leather between your wood and your metal?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2553 on: February 12, 2023, 10:23:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ha yeah!

You like a little leather between your wood and your metal?
Is my inner Rob Halford showing?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Sizzle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -436
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2554 on: February 12, 2023, 01:48:59 PM »
Do aftermarket insoles noticeably reduce knee pain after skating?

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2555 on: February 12, 2023, 03:42:08 PM »
Do aftermarket insoles noticeably reduce knee pain after skating?

For me they reduce soreness in general.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 464
« Reply #2556 on: February 12, 2023, 05:21:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I always notice in the shoes you are wearing thread everyone seems to keep their laces pretty loose. I have a narrow foot so my laces are always a bit tighter looking than what I usually see ( not Rambo laced by any means).My question is this: Is there an advantage performance wise to skating in a shoe with the laces that loose or are you guys tying them a little tighter when you get around to skating them?
[close]

I tighten my laces a lot for skating to prevent my foot from jiggling around. A secure fit is definitely better for performance, but loose laces look much better imo, so I keep 'em loose whenever I'm not skating.
[close]

I have very flat feet, so for most shoes I need to put an extra tongue in under what is in there, almost always a Half Cab tongue as I had a lot of Half Cabs over the years (but never needed to beef them up at all) so once I have done this, it looks more normal and not at all puffy or blown out.  Without the extra tongue, usually the sides of the laces area would almost be overlapping with a ton of spare shoe lace and look pretty funny, to say the least.

People used to do this to all shoes and big thick puffy tongues were the only way to go mid 2000s or so, almost too much but I am not here to talk about various fashion styles.

The weird thing is a lot of others I know almost have the opposite problem, where their feet are so tall and thick that they always have what looks like loose laces, when in fact they are almost too tight on their feet when laced up like mine so have to wear them with a lot more lace across, giving that look you mention.

That is not to say that when not skating (or even some while skating too), people don't loosen up their laces, like my Half Cabs are almost like slip ons when I am not skating, but different feet can give a very different look too.

I also add a thin extra insole sometimes too, the kind of thin flat foam thing from a $2 store or department store, which also helps my foot fit in some shoes better, so that might work too.  I put it under everything else, but you can put it on top easily enough too.

Thanks for the input gang. I used to do the $2 department store insoles on the old style canvas insoles before Vans did the pro series and eventually Skate series. What got me thinking about this was seeing footage of Wes Kramer in that Thrasher “Home Movie” edit where he slams and his shoes fly off. It got me wondering about loosening up my kit. Maybe this should have been a madness post!

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #2557 on: February 13, 2023, 02:37:25 AM »
Already asked this on the wheel thread but that place is dead so I'll try my luck I here: anybody tried Bonjour wheels?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2558 on: February 13, 2023, 01:39:53 PM »
Anybody have any recommendations for a travel bag that you can either strap your board to or place inside?
I’m planning on flying to Hawaii in about 6 weeks for a skate trip. Meeting up with buddies that live there. I’m looking at the RVCA skate duffel bag so far, but open to suggestions
fuck you bama

Pastasash

• Rep: 75
« Reply #2559 on: February 13, 2023, 01:54:12 PM »
Anybody have any recommendations for a travel bag that you can either strap your board to or place inside?
I’m planning on flying to Hawaii in about 6 weeks for a skate trip. Meeting up with buddies that live there. I’m looking at the RVCA skate duffel bag so far, but open to suggestions

Bronze x DC made a good duffle that you can fit your deck in

https://www.paradeworld.com/products/dc-x-bronze-travel-bag-74-7082853597218/

Nike and Incase made some good ones back in the day too that you could put your whole set up in, but haven't been in production in years unfortunately. Im a big fan of keeping it low key when I travel and don't like the look of the ones that you can strap the board to the bottom, plus it makes it so much more clunkier and easier knocking shit over. Use my Incase Prod one all these years later still!

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2560 on: February 13, 2023, 02:19:58 PM »
Are you gonna check in or carry on that bag?  When I check in my board without a bag it travels to the next destination in a bin that doesn’t get anything piled on top, but if the board is in a bag it would get thrown around and clumped in with all the other heavy luggage

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2561 on: February 13, 2023, 02:47:35 PM »
Ideally I want to bring it as a carryon item. Last time I flew with checked bags they wound up missing for 3 weeks. That DC bag could probably work
fuck you bama

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2562 on: February 13, 2023, 09:58:36 PM »
I got a herschel Indy duffel bag that just has basic straps on the bottom, worked well.  I also have the Chrome pack and I love it.  Best set up for carrying a board.  Doesn't have a ton of pockets but is pretty water proof. 

Another question......

Do you manual better on narrower or wider trucks?  Grinds, definitely wider, but manuals?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #2563 on: February 13, 2023, 11:49:06 PM »
Already asked this on the wheel thread but that place is dead so I'll try my luck I here: anybody tried Bonjour wheels?

No yet but will do when it when I go threw this set of spitfires. For 35 euro worth a shot. Especially if the rumors are true of spit's going up to 70 euro.

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2564 on: February 14, 2023, 01:27:44 AM »
Another question......

Do you manual better on narrower or wider trucks?  Grinds, definitely wider, but manuals?

No, manuals are easier on wider but you can get up on ledges easier with narrower and the board flips faster. Biggest draw back of narrower trucks is the board wants to flip on fs pop shuvit. Overall I think there are a number of factors involved a.k.a madness.

I got a small 50-50. I just got onto that painted ledge and it actually grinded, the sun is a peach!
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2565 on: February 14, 2023, 02:01:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No yet but will do when it when I go threw this set of spitfires. For 35 euro worth a shot. Especially if the rumors are true of spit's going up to 70 euro.
rumor? They're 76 up to 56 or 57mm, then 84 for 58 and up in sweden already. the mixed Evan's in the wooden box are 90. it's fucked.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #2566 on: February 14, 2023, 03:37:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
rumor? They're 76 up to 56 or 57mm, then 84 for 58 and up in sweden already. the mixed Evan's in the wooden box are 90. it's fucked.

I haven't noticed the price go up at my local (Grenoble, France) yet. Will check Saturday.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 619
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2567 on: February 14, 2023, 04:55:05 AM »
it's on here in France
remaining stock still around 58-60€
some new stock at 65€
some new stock at 70€

the funny thing is Conical full 101 52 and 54 are now 70€ while 53 are 65€

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2568 on: February 14, 2023, 06:22:10 AM »
You could probably get four sets for the price of two in Europe, including shipping, if you can find a US store or someone on here to send stuff to Europe.

On a related note, how long can wheels last before degrading? I’m thinking about increasing the stockpile if prices in US go up too.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2569 on: February 14, 2023, 06:26:03 AM »
Spitfire Formula Fours still seem to be 49€ here in Finland. Never understood why they’re so much more expensive elsewhere in Europe. If the prices go up like with everything I can for once be glad I had some hoarding madness and am stocked up for a few years at least.  :)

Richard Skidder

« Reply #2570 on: February 14, 2023, 10:23:28 AM »
You could probably get four sets for the price of two in Europe, including shipping, if you can find a US store or someone on here to send stuff to Europe.

On a related note, how long can wheels last before degrading? I’m thinking about increasing the stockpile if prices in US go up too.

Wheels store well as long as it’s somewhere dark, and the prices are about to increase here. About $48-50 American for F4s.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #2571 on: February 14, 2023, 12:48:59 PM »
What's the best venture truck for skating purely transition, and will it be as good as Indy?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1127
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2572 on: February 14, 2023, 12:51:01 PM »
What's the best venture truck for skating purely transition, and will it be as good as Indy?

kook this man

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #2573 on: February 14, 2023, 01:01:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

kook this man

Fuck ya
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #2574 on: February 14, 2023, 01:08:26 PM »

Not sure if you're serious, but no.
And that's from someone that owns ventures and doesn't ever ride indy.

Unless you're talking about practicing stalls, going straight up and down.
They turn and grind MUCH worse, so really no point using them on transition.
It obviously still works though

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2575 on: February 14, 2023, 02:42:15 PM »

As to your question, second part first, I prefer Indy over Venture for everything and I am more a transition based skater.

For the first part, it is entirely up to the individual.

There are some DLX riders who rip transition on Ventures, as well as some other guys I know who ride them on everything, including mini ramp, bowl and vert, not to mention all those guys like Cardiel, Speyer, Drehobl and Shao back in the 90s on Venture who all shredded transition or anything and everything, which seems like the opposite of the Venture low trucks on the tech setups more common with ledge or flatground skaters nowdays.

Common setups include the team editions or the V-lights, but you can skate most of them on anything, especially the wider sizes 5.8 or 6.1 on bigger boards.  One guy I know uses two top bushings, like Ishod does in his Thunders to get more turn and response, but even just skating the 5.8 team editions I have with stock bushings, they still turn and ride fine once you are used to them.

This was the video I was thinking of when anyone asks about Venture trucks and transition skating.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #2576 on: February 14, 2023, 02:56:01 PM »
Has anybody tried the Paris street trucks? Searched for them, apparently they come from the same factory as ACE AF1 trucks but no one posted about riding them yet.

I consider buying them for a cruiser setup, they're 43% off at titus:

https://www.titus.at/paris-achse-149mm-street-silver-0121202/

Richard Skidder

« Reply #2577 on: February 14, 2023, 04:53:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing that IgnitionXVenture video @Mbrimson88 I never saw that one. It’s going on my replay/get stoked to skate list. I’m fired up now.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #2578 on: February 14, 2023, 05:22:03 PM »
Been a while since I've bought Converse CONS. Do they still fit a half size big across the board, and is the CX insole a big improvement from the Zoom Air insole? Last time I got them it had the Zoom Air insole and I absolutely hated the shoe.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2579 on: February 14, 2023, 05:56:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing that IgnitionXVenture video @Mbrimson88 I never saw that one. It’s going on my replay/get stoked to skate list. I’m fired up now.

Yeah for sure.

Made me go looking for more of that crew, but there is not a whole lot out there, so it seems.

Nick Tyrrell insta link anyway: