Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 207489 times)

grapes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2790 on: March 12, 2023, 01:05:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone ridden the 8.37 palace shape with the 14.84 wheelbase? Is that wheelbase measurement accurate? I really want to try one if so, but that seems crazy for a board thats 31.13 long wan to make sure its not a typo/joke/they measured from the other side of the holes or something.

edit: this is the specific one im looking at https://shop-usa.palaceskateboards.com/products/4wu1jp0bubpm
[close]

I picked one up wanting to try the short deck long wheelbase, but it was not as short as listed. I’ll dig it up and post the measurements
[close]

The 8.375 - 8.38 size is one that a lot of people skate, but I had never wanted to get that Palace board if the wheelbase was really 14.84 and I always thought that was a typo.

Is it really that long, or is it more just 14.48 or something?

Not a big deal really as they are usually more on the expensive side and not a brand I would usually buy for myself or anyone I know, but I always wondered about it and had never seen one in person.

For reference, the DLX 8.5 with 14.75 wb or even another board brand that has 8.75 with 15" wheelbase are a good overall length with normal kicks but they are both 32.5 or more long.  The only board I have seen with 14.75 or bigger wheelbase that is under 32 was a cruiser board and both kicks were so short it wasn't really an option as a normal board, especially the nose, but that is just my observations.

Yeah man the wheelbase is right, 14.8. And length measures 32. I ended up giving it away because I’m 5’8 and that was not working for me. I was going through some madness and trying completely opposite wheelbases for a minute

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2791 on: March 12, 2023, 04:09:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone ridden the 8.37 palace shape with the 14.84 wheelbase? Is that wheelbase measurement accurate? I really want to try one if so, but that seems crazy for a board thats 31.13 long wan to make sure its not a typo/joke/they measured from the other side of the holes or something.

edit: this is the specific one im looking at https://shop-usa.palaceskateboards.com/products/4wu1jp0bubpm
[close]

I picked one up wanting to try the short deck long wheelbase, but it was not as short as listed. I’ll dig it up and post the measurements
[close]

The 8.375 - 8.38 size is one that a lot of people skate, but I had never wanted to get that Palace board if the wheelbase was really 14.84 and I always thought that was a typo.

Is it really that long, or is it more just 14.48 or something?

Not a big deal really as they are usually more on the expensive side and not a brand I would usually buy for myself or anyone I know, but I always wondered about it and had never seen one in person.

For reference, the DLX 8.5 with 14.75 wb or even another board brand that has 8.75 with 15" wheelbase are a good overall length with normal kicks but they are both 32.5 or more long.  The only board I have seen with 14.75 or bigger wheelbase that is under 32 was a cruiser board and both kicks were so short it wasn't really an option as a normal board, especially the nose, but that is just my observations.
[close]

Yeah man the wheelbase is right, 14.8. And length measures 32. I ended up giving it away because I’m 5’8 and that was not working for me. I was going through some madness and trying completely opposite wheelbases for a minute

Thanks for the reply.

Sure sounds weird, but that's ok - everyone has their preferences.

I would think that drilling in the tail 3/8" might feel a whole lot better than what it was and still have a reasonable wheelbase, but the effort is often not worth it, especially if you don't have the tools or the interest and just want it gone.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2792 on: March 14, 2023, 08:07:35 AM »
What’s Bobby Dekeyzers setup?

DERBY

• Rep: 250
« Reply #2793 on: March 14, 2023, 09:25:57 AM »

thunder 149 (i think)
thunder 147-148 (ishod top bushing method)
jessup
quasi 8.25
54mm conical fulls
1/8th risers
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:34:33 AM by DERBY »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2794 on: March 14, 2023, 09:42:45 AM »
didnt realize so many people like to hot rod

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2795 on: March 14, 2023, 09:51:10 AM »
didnt realize so many people like to hot rod
the hot rod isn't that bad whenever the trucks are 0.25" wider than the board. In my experience, the wheels sit pretty much flush with the rails of the deck. 5.6 Ventures on 8" decks feels great.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2796 on: March 14, 2023, 10:22:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

thunder 149 (i think)
jessup
quasi 8.25
54mm conical fulls
1/8th risers

When I asked someone that knows him they said he skates 147s and sometimes 148s, doing the Ishod top bushing thing with 147s.

DERBY

• Rep: 250
« Reply #2797 on: March 14, 2023, 10:33:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

thunder 149 (i think)
jessup
quasi 8.25
54mm conical fulls
1/8th risers
[close]

When I asked someone that knows him they said he skates 147s and sometimes 148s, doing the Ishod top bushing thing with 147s.

thanks for the correction i’ll edit the post

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2798 on: March 14, 2023, 10:36:45 AM »
has anyone ever tried PVC Copers?

if you ollie into a 5050, would that work? or is that too mcuh pressure on it and you will break them? he is just doing slash grinds on QPs and stuff. I have some spots in mind where its a bit too heat to lacquer but the ledges would probably grind with these + a tiny bit of drive by wax.

Terminal

« Reply #2799 on: March 14, 2023, 11:53:38 AM »
Does anyone know which woodshop supplied the original "Maple Skateboards" brand? Team was Donger, Carney, MJ, Hsu, Knight, Mayhew and so on.

Only ever had one, circa 97, but it was the lightest, most pop, best shape board I ever had (excluding an amazing Stereo). Been bugging me for a long time who pressed that brand...

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -441
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2800 on: March 14, 2023, 12:06:37 PM »
Does anyone know which woodshop supplied the original "Maple Skateboards" brand? Team was Donger, Carney, MJ, Hsu, Knight, Mayhew and so on.

Only ever had one, circa 97, but it was the lightest, most pop, best shape board I ever had (excluding an amazing Stereo). Been bugging me for a long time who pressed that brand...

Amazingly enough, Maple was the first “popular” brand that pressed boards in China, I always thought it was weird that MJ never brought this up when everybody started ragging on Crail for doing the same thing. I don’t know the actual name of the woodshop (had some Chinese name) but they weren’t even specializing in skateboards, they did furniture manufacturing and when maple was negotiating pricing for their first run of boards they got a sample from the woodshop and were blown away by the quality. To this day I think the anti-China shops thing is a bit overblown because of this, Crail just had bad QA problems that gave it a bit of a stigma.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2801 on: March 14, 2023, 12:09:23 PM »

Watson Laminates, it was it's inhouse brand for a while.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #2802 on: March 14, 2023, 12:34:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

thunder 149 (i think)
jessup
quasi 8.25
54mm conical fulls
1/8th risers
[close]

@Idk thanks for asking this question.
@LebowskisRug good shout on asking the friend. I thought I had read something about him doing the risers at one point…dunno. The hangers of his truck in that dope promo, in one of the shots, looked like 148s.
147s are the true shit tho.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2803 on: March 14, 2023, 12:58:55 PM »
You think skating is a good leg workout?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #2804 on: March 14, 2023, 01:13:48 PM »

Skating big bowls is alright. I don't think anything else in skating would be intense enough on the legs to be a workout.
Will it build endurance? Yeah, but not as much as cycling.
Will it build muscle? No, go and lift weights if that's what you want.
Will you burn calories/lose weight? Yes if you are skating a big bowl
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #2805 on: March 14, 2023, 01:29:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skating big bowls is alright. I don't think anything else in skating would be intense enough on the legs to be a workout.

Insane take. Jumping is not a workout? There's a reason some people puke after a 1min contest line.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #2806 on: March 14, 2023, 01:51:24 PM »
I ran a Fitbit which aren’t that accurate and I think I have a fast metabolism/burn calories easy and in two hours of skating I burned 1000……

Skating you are just really engaged which I think burns calories.  Snowboarding, same thing and I’m on a chairlift most of the time….

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #2807 on: March 14, 2023, 01:54:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Insane take. Jumping is not a workout? There's a reason some people puke after a 1min contest line.

No, doing one jump every couple of minutes if you're trying to land a ledge trick or something is not a workout
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2808 on: March 14, 2023, 02:54:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

thunder 149 (i think)
jessup
quasi 8.25
54mm conical fulls
1/8th risers
[close]

[close]

thanks for the correction i’ll edit the post

Genuinely wondering, what do you do with this type of info? Do you try out a similar setup?

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2809 on: March 14, 2023, 03:19:43 PM »
what if somebody like shanahan or bilyeu got dropped from dc? would their entire career implode since everything about them revolves around that specific look?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2810 on: March 14, 2023, 03:21:06 PM »
what if somebody like shanahan or bilyeu got dropped from dc? would their entire career implode since everything about them revolves around that specific look?
New Balance. Nike SB. Adidas.

Terminal

« Reply #2811 on: March 14, 2023, 03:48:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Appreciated

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2812 on: March 14, 2023, 05:39:44 PM »
Maple was one of the most underrated brands for its time.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #2813 on: March 14, 2023, 08:29:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No, doing one jump every couple of minutes if you're trying to land a ledge trick or something is not a workout

Then why am I sweaty tired and sore after skating a ledge for an hour but none of that if I ride my bike for an hour?

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #2814 on: March 14, 2023, 09:58:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Appreciated

this is not how i remember Watson wood from that era at all, granted i always went for Prime/world, blind, 101 boards.

i remember Waston being the opposite and most those Maple dudes would ride blank Prime wood and many later leaving to ride for Co.'s that used Prime wood, A-team, Enjoi, ect....

one thing i remember for sure is their stains sucked and i'm pretty sure it's because they never changed out their dye tanks, their stains were always dingy and gross.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #2815 on: March 15, 2023, 01:37:27 AM »
I'm thinking of griptape alternatives..
My son basically boogie boards with his skateboard, and lying down on griptape really fucks up his clothes. Not to mention the poor guys face when he trips on it.
I could just set up a board with no griptape, but knowing me I'd want to fuck around on his board sometimes. And he will eventually want to start standing up and trying tricks.
Should I just order a sheet of rubber grip, or do you guys have any ideas for alternatives?

Schinken

• Rep: 66
« Reply #2816 on: March 15, 2023, 02:24:57 AM »
If I had to choose between independent and thunder, which one is more prone to speed wobble?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #2817 on: March 15, 2023, 03:12:44 AM »
My son basically boogie boards with his skateboard, and lying down on griptape really fucks up his clothes. Not to mention the poor guys face when he trips on it.
I could just set up a board with no griptape, but knowing me I'd want to fuck around on his board sometimes. And he will eventually want to start standing up and trying tricks.
Should I just order a sheet of rubber grip, or do you guys have any ideas for alternatives?

Just go for the rubber grip, can always re-grip it later when he gets older

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2818 on: March 15, 2023, 03:43:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Couldn't you basically put everything on top of a board with the right glue? Cork, Velvet or Grandmas old carpet.
IG: @flowterspace

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 606
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2819 on: March 15, 2023, 03:53:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Couldn't you basically put everything on top of a board with the right glue? Cork, Velvet or Grandmas old carpet.

yes, Gou Miyagi does that with carpets and stuff