Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 205520 times)

Nth syd bear and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Terminal

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2820 on: March 15, 2023, 04:35:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone know which woodshop supplied the original "Maple Skateboards" brand? Team was Donger, Carney, MJ, Hsu, Knight, Mayhew and so on.

Only ever had one, circa 97, but it was the lightest, most pop, best shape board I ever had (excluding an amazing Stereo). Been bugging me for a long time who pressed that brand...
[close]

Watson Laminates, it was it's inhouse brand for a while.
[close]
Appreciated
[close]

this is not how i remember Watson wood from that era at all, granted i always went for Prime/world, blind, 101 boards.

i remember Waston being the opposite and most those Maple dudes would ride blank Prime wood and many later leaving to ride for Co.'s that used Prime wood, A-team, Enjoi, ect....

one thing i remember for sure is their stains sucked and i'm pretty sure it's because they never changed out their dye tanks, their stains were always dingy and gross.
Interesting. Maybe I just got lucky as I only ever rode one of them, but honestly one of the best boards I ever had.

whale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #2821 on: March 15, 2023, 05:48:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm thinking of griptape alternatives..
My son basically boogie boards with his skateboard, and lying down on griptape really fucks up his clothes. Not to mention the poor guys face when he trips on it.
I could just set up a board with no griptape, but knowing me I'd want to fuck around on his board sometimes. And he will eventually want to start standing up and trying tricks.
Should I just order a sheet of rubber grip, or do you guys have any ideas for alternatives?
[close]

Just go for the rubber grip, can always re-grip it later when he gets older
[close]

Couldn't you basically put everything on top of a board with the right glue? Cork, Velvet or Grandmas old carpet.

Yes. I'll try an old yoga mat first.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1106
« Reply #2822 on: March 15, 2023, 07:07:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What’s Bobby Dekeyzers setup?
[close]

thunder 149 (i think)
jessup
quasi 8.25
54mm conical fulls
1/8th risers
[close]

When I asked someone that knows him they said he skates 147s and sometimes 148s, doing the Ishod top bushing thing with 147s.
[close]

thanks for the correction i’ll edit the post
[close]

Genuinely wondering, what do you do with this type of info? Do you try out a similar setup?

I am guilty of this, for sure.
Biggest ‘madness’ contributor: watching someone skate, and wanting to emulate. It is wack to type out/think/do, but yeah, there it is. Influenced.
As an example, I rarely get time to ‘really’ skate. It’s usually just a few minutes here and there, and generally something else is going on (kids, pets, partner). With that type of scenario, whatever I’m on doesn’t matter. The last few times out I’ve ridden a 4+ year old strangelove that has a graphic that makes me smile, ace trucks, and normal sized wheels. For just rolling around, this works great. I’m old and I’ll never break this, if the skate industry ceased and all of the gear was unavailable, I’d be able to skate longer than my body would last.
But then I see a Wade post of him skating flatground and I want 147s, perfect deck, small wheels. Or Puleo, or …Jacopo. BDK. Etc.
Changing one’s setups to mimic a pro’s is honestly pretty weird, doesn’t make sense. Bodies are different, and then the chasm between the levels ability cannot be overstated.
But yeah.
I know it’s kooky, but at some level, isn’t this how the skateboard industry works? People get psyched on someone’s skating and then are inspired to buy a graphic, a tshirt, a type of bearing?
Basically my entire time on slap could be summed up as: ‘which computer is the best for hacking’

Edit**
Totally unrelated: what was gottwigs setup in that last reel he posted with the lazer
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 07:52:26 AM by Ok »

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2823 on: March 15, 2023, 07:45:21 AM »
If I had to choose between independent and thunder, which one is more prone to speed wobble?

Indy will turn a little quicker overall and is taller so will allow for more turns (like speed wobbles) but I would go one step further and say that it is all down to preference of bushings or how loose or tight your trucks are, angle strength and how you set up your board, eg risers or not.

We used to have a few good runs into the CBD from where we parked our cars and I wouldn't say there was one truck brand that didn't throw people off at one point or another, both Indy and Thunder included, but Venture came out on top overall I think.  Dudes that had those trucks back in the day were running them way tighter than others.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2824 on: March 15, 2023, 07:56:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What’s Bobby Dekeyzers setup?
[close]

thunder 149 (i think)
jessup
quasi 8.25
54mm conical fulls
1/8th risers
[close]

When I asked someone that knows him they said he skates 147s and sometimes 148s, doing the Ishod top bushing thing with 147s.
[close]

thanks for the correction i’ll edit the post
[close]

Genuinely wondering, what do you do with this type of info? Do you try out a similar setup?
[close]

I am guilty of this, for sure.
Biggest ‘madness’ contributor: watching someone skate, and wanting to emulate. It is wack to type out/think/do, but yeah, there it is. Influenced.
As an example, I rarely get time to ‘really’ skate. It’s usually just a few minutes here and there, and generally something else is going on (kids, pets, partner). With that type of scenario, whatever I’m on doesn’t matter. The last few times out I’ve ridden a 4+ year old strangelove that has a graphic that makes me smile, ace trucks, and normal sized wheels. For just rolling around, this works great. I’m old and I’ll never break this, if the skate industry ceased and all of the gear was unavailable, I’d be able to skate longer than my body would last.
But then I see a Wade post of him skating flatground and I want 147s, perfect deck, small wheels. Or Puleo, or …Jacopo. BDK. Etc.
Changing one’s setups to mimic a pro’s is honestly pretty weird, doesn’t make sense. Bodies are different, and then the chasm between the levels ability cannot be overstated.
But yeah.
I know it’s kooky, but at some level, isn’t this how the skateboard industry works? People get psyched on someone’s skating and then are inspired to buy a graphic, a tshirt, a type of bearing?
Basically my entire time on slap could be summed up as: ‘which computer is the best for hacking’

i copy franky's setup but i have my own twist always (in this case i ride Ace's instead of thunders)

I actually find speed wobble is not so much about how loose your trucks are - i can have super tight or super loose trucks i dont think it matters. once you get going decently fast everything will wobble. its all about keeping your weight in the correct place. i think you want to keep it more back seat its kinda hard for me to describe without actually being in the moment. i have been bombing a lot of hills lately though and my trucks are hella loose. did one on ventures as well which hardly turn at all, and it felt the same. if i start movin around trying to turn while at the high speed you will start wobbling. you can fight it back though. this is where i think loose trucks might actually help you get it back to the position you want. i dont know.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #2825 on: March 15, 2023, 08:54:43 AM »
Anyone know where Terp is getting boards pressed in Ohio?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #2826 on: March 15, 2023, 02:57:46 PM »
Anyone know where Terp is getting boards pressed in Ohio?

somewhere near the train that exploded

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #2827 on: March 15, 2023, 03:23:36 PM »
i feel like the less you skate the more madness you get. no disrespect to anyone. i get it when it's raining and i can't skate.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2828 on: March 15, 2023, 04:20:03 PM »
i feel like the less you skate the more madness you get. no disrespect to anyone. i get it when it's raining and i can't skate.

Agreed

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2829 on: March 15, 2023, 06:03:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agreed

This is very true.

wurfnnjs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2830 on: March 15, 2023, 07:35:59 PM »
Anyone have like a list or catalog of every shape Antihero has made? idk just curious and would like to see them all next to each other.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2831 on: March 15, 2023, 08:54:51 PM »
Anyone have like a list or catalog of every shape Antihero has made? idk just curious and would like to see them all next to each other.

Would be sick. T
Obviously I’m old and nostalgic, but the early anti hero and Krooked stuff was pretty rad, to me. Some of it now is too. And some seems more paint by numbers.
The old shapes would be interesting. Seeing all of the little ass boards they used to make would be dope

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #2832 on: March 15, 2023, 09:35:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Would be sick. T
Obviously I’m old and nostalgic, but the early anti hero and Krooked stuff was pretty rad, to me. Some of it now is too. And some seems more paint by numbers.
The old shapes would be interesting. Seeing all of the little ass boards they used to make would be dope

I have a lot of the old catalogs and recall most of their boards over the years, but by no means a complete list.

The DLX Shapes thread is here though:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=85076.0

That is about as close as you are going to get, but I can put up some stuff there too if you are really keen.

Edit:

Even just going back to the first page of that thread from 2015 and comparing catalog pics of boards back then - most are still online too, just google them - and it is interesting to see how different boards are now, as well as what some people had been asking for.

Here's a couple just to get you started:

https://www.dlxsf.com/spring15/ah.html

https://www.dlxsf.com/fall15/ah.html

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 09:46:12 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 603
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2833 on: March 16, 2023, 09:32:31 AM »

And suddenly it is 2 am, you get out of bed and measuring your speed rings (they all had the same width).
IG: @flowterspace

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #2834 on: March 16, 2023, 09:33:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And suddenly it is 2 am, you get out of bed and measuring your speed rings (they all had the same width).

Not even going to front that I don't get VERY upset if my speed rings aren't all the same.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2835 on: March 16, 2023, 12:20:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not even going to front that I don't get VERY upset if my speed rings aren't all the same.

Correct. Uncomfortable.

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #2836 on: March 17, 2023, 04:48:04 AM »
Is CCS using an old stock photo of the OG es accels?

https://shop.ccs.com/products/es-accel-og-shoes-black

I was looking for a pair on sale and the CCS site popped up. I was confused because the photo they use looks like what I'm told the original accels used to during their first run. Slimmer profile, with a longer toe (but not the accel slim). They don't look anything like that currently irl or on the es skateboarding website either.

https://esskateboarding.com/products/accel-og-black

It'd be sick if they'd go back to the old mold but I doubt if they were that CCS would have the pics changed first on the listing. Anyway just curious if anyone knows, I realize this is very niche.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Bill Salt

« Reply #2837 on: March 17, 2023, 05:26:39 AM »
this one is pretty good

kelbywest

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2838 on: March 17, 2023, 06:30:23 AM »
Anyone ever buy from https://www.noveltyskateboard.com ?

They have a deck from the Loose Company I've had my eye on for $44 shipped to the US. Just seems too good to be true but they have a shit ton of skate stuff on their website.

sle_epy

« Reply #2839 on: March 17, 2023, 06:32:47 AM »

They have a deck from the Loose Company I've had my eye on for $44 shipped to the US. Just seems too good to be true but they have a shit ton of skate stuff on their website.

Are they maple or like, birch?

kelbywest

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2840 on: March 17, 2023, 06:44:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maple according to the description. The Novelty site basically mimics the description from the company's

Loose: https://looseskateboardco.com/product/the-loose-company-sitting-room-deck/

Novelty: https://www.noveltyskateboard.com/the-loose-company-sitting-room-8-skateboard-deck-multi-limited-edition/?attribute_size=8%22

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2841 on: March 18, 2023, 03:58:05 AM »
Baker is BBS

Does all the Baker decks got the holografic sticker of BBS between the truck holes?

eSK3

« Reply #2842 on: March 18, 2023, 05:25:23 AM »
Currently skating Ace lows again but the madness is nagging. Thinking about a set of venture lows when orchard opens. Can I get some feedback on how the pop is gonna change? Skating a 14.25WB hopps if that helps.

sle_epy

« Reply #2843 on: March 18, 2023, 05:47:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Maple according to the description. The Novelty site basically mimics the description from the company's

Loose: https://looseskateboardco.com/product/the-loose-company-sitting-room-deck/

Novelty: https://www.noveltyskateboard.com/the-loose-company-sitting-room-8-skateboard-deck-multi-limited-edition/?attribute_size=8%22

Looks beyond sketch to me.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2844 on: March 18, 2023, 05:54:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Looks beyond sketch to me.

I have seen in the other threads that Maple doesnt apparently mean anything , it could actually be birch. cant remember what the term is that BBS and PS use to distinguish the "good stuff" but check this thread out , lots of boards are branded as "Hard Rock Maple" and are trash.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=104378.0

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #2845 on: March 18, 2023, 06:00:20 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm thinking of griptape alternatives..
My son basically boogie boards with his skateboard, and lying down on griptape really fucks up his clothes. Not to mention the poor guys face when he trips on it.
I could just set up a board with no griptape, but knowing me I'd want to fuck around on his board sometimes. And he will eventually want to start standing up and trying tricks.
Should I just order a sheet of rubber grip, or do you guys have any ideas for alternatives?
[close]

Just go for the rubber grip, can always re-grip it later when he gets older
Alien workshop had a board once that had rubber grip like a classic table tennis paddle. It worked good enough.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #2846 on: March 18, 2023, 06:04:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You think skating is a good leg workout?
[close]

Skating big bowls is alright. I don't think anything else in skating would be intense enough on the legs to be a workout.
Will it build endurance? Yeah, but not as much as cycling.
Will it build muscle? No, go and lift weights if that's what you want.
Will you burn calories/lose weight? Yes if you are skating a big bowl
[close]

Insane take. Jumping is not a workout? There's a reason some people puke after a 1min contest line.
[close]

No, doing one jump every couple of minutes if you're trying to land a ledge trick or something is not a workout
The issue should be more with the word "good" rather than "workout". I'd say no simply because you don't really work out both legs evenly. Couple years ago I started riding a bike to go skate and I feel like that adds a bit to a session where I could actually class it as getting exercise.

Lepanto

« Reply #2847 on: March 18, 2023, 06:58:56 AM »
Baker is BBS

Does all the Baker decks got the holografic sticker of BBS between the truck holes?

Somebody help please?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 592
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2848 on: March 18, 2023, 07:44:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Baker is BBS

[close]

Somebody help please?

Considering it's the new thing on BBS made boards, they should have that yes

Lepanto

« Reply #2849 on: March 18, 2023, 09:16:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Baker is BBS

[close]

Somebody help please?
[close]

Considering it's the new thing on BBS made boards, they should have that yes

Do you mean only the decks made from X year got that sticker?
Bbs didnt use to put such stickers?