Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 201963 times)

Southernmost

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 106
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2970 on: March 26, 2023, 10:30:43 PM »
I just saw alien workshop uploaded photosynthesis to YouTube and just started thinking why do brands give their videos to Thrasher/Free etc...like there is good money in YouTube...ok I understand for smaller brands that want exposure but ?

I remember a few years ago AWS had an app called “Control Room” with their entire library of skate videos and edits from AWS and Habitat. Pretty cool app at the time. I just tried opening it though and it kept crashing. Not sure if it’s my phone or the app is defunct. I think some companies are starting to upload videos in house or on YouTubes other than Thrasher. Kader put out his last part on his own YouTube channel, Nyjah had his Nike part on their YouTube, pretty sure Primitive does most their videos on their channel.

Southernmost

« Reply #2971 on: March 26, 2023, 10:33:19 PM »
Anybody try the Black Onyx Shake Junt grip yet? Finally, they created an all black grip with no logo or stencil. I’ve also been wanting to try a sheet of Black Magic. Prob haven’t skated any in 10-20 years so not sure of quality or feel. Skated a sheet of Pepper at the end of last year that I really enjoyed. My local only has Jessup and MOB so I usually only order different sheets of grip if I catch an online sale somewhere.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2972 on: March 26, 2023, 11:00:49 PM »
Expand Quote
I just saw alien workshop uploaded photosynthesis to YouTube and just started thinking why do brands give their videos to Thrasher/Free etc...like there is good money in YouTube...ok I understand for smaller brands that want exposure but ?
[close]

I remember a few years ago AWS had an app called “Control Room” with their entire library of skate videos and edits from AWS and Habitat. Pretty cool app at the time. I just tried opening it though and it kept crashing. Not sure if it’s my phone or the app is defunct. I think some companies are starting to upload videos in house or on YouTubes other than Thrasher. Kader put out his last part on his own YouTube channel, Nyjah had his Nike part on their YouTube, pretty sure Primitive does most their videos on their channel.
Thrasher YouTube will go the way of Transworld and ride channel. My only guess would be thrasher might put money towards the production of the videos but even this I doubt would be that much money and only for certain companies

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 90
« Reply #2973 on: March 27, 2023, 09:45:34 AM »
Best method to make new shoes skateable.
I hate when they are stiff.

How does this microwave thing work? Anything else that works for you?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #2974 on: March 27, 2023, 10:44:11 AM »

Squish/fold them in every possible way.
Do some running in them.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2975 on: March 27, 2023, 11:04:10 AM »
i just wear em around the house 24/7
ONTARIO CANADA

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #2976 on: March 27, 2023, 11:07:08 AM »
I got way too drunk last Friday in DC and lost my rain jacket at the warner theater somewhere.

So now I'm looking for a nice rain jacket, any suggestions? I know its not really skateboarding related but ive gotten so many great recommendations on here that i thought i should ask. @Sanka Coffie with the gramicci tip and @jay_nev on the patagonia baggies, ive bought several pairs of each, thanks again guys.

currently looking at the patagonia torrentshell or slate sky, but i really dont know what else to look at. Didnt really like what carhartt had to offer which is my usual go to. Not stoked on north face either.

@IpathCats Sorry if already mentioned but have you looked at Rains? The storm breaker jacket is really good.

IpathCats

« Reply #2977 on: March 27, 2023, 11:44:18 AM »
Expand Quote
I got way too drunk last Friday in DC and lost my rain jacket at the warner theater somewhere.

So now I'm looking for a nice rain jacket, any suggestions? I know its not really skateboarding related but ive gotten so many great recommendations on here that i thought i should ask. @Sanka Coffie with the gramicci tip and @jay_nev on the patagonia baggies, ive bought several pairs of each, thanks again guys.

currently looking at the patagonia torrentshell or slate sky, but i really dont know what else to look at. Didnt really like what carhartt had to offer which is my usual go to. Not stoked on north face either.
[close]

@IpathCats Sorry if already mentioned but have you looked at Rains? The storm breaker jacket is really good.

Yea I already went with one from mountain hardwear. thanks though!

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2978 on: March 27, 2023, 01:25:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yea I already went with one from mountain hardwear. thanks though!

How is it?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2979 on: March 27, 2023, 02:30:00 PM »
I could buy a box of Jessup sheet from the local distributor. I can't think of a single reason why grip will decrease it's quality over time but I wanted to make sure before I purchase. What's the best way to storage grip?
IG: @flowterspace

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2980 on: March 27, 2023, 02:47:08 PM »
I could buy a box of Jessup sheet from the local distributor. I can't think of a single reason why grip will decrease it's quality over time but I wanted to make sure before I purchase. What's the best way to storage grip?

I got free sheets of Jessup from a shop and it was brittle and didn‘t stick very good, probably lay around too long so be careful.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2981 on: March 27, 2023, 04:37:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got free sheets of Jessup from a shop and it was brittle and didn‘t stick very good, probably lay around too long so be careful.

Some grip does lose its stickiness over time, but stored well, same as boards, flat and out of sunlight, heat, cold, etc and you should be fine with it for as long as you take to use it.

Still have some Jessup sheets that are ten or more years old and they work fine.  Others have come off their backing paper I have seen, but I don't think they were stored as well.

I feel like the current Jessup is better than what it has been as well, cause there were a few batches that seemed a bit average a few years back and people were having issues with them, but I have also heard the same about Mob and other grip too, some batches are as expected and some are not.

If the first sheet or three in the box are good, the rest should be as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2982 on: March 27, 2023, 08:00:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Squish/fold them in every possible way.
Do some running in them.

For my shoes right now that just not enough. I hate them so much.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2983 on: March 27, 2023, 09:18:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Thrasher YouTube will go the way of Transworld and ride channel. My only guess would be thrasher might put money towards the production of the videos but even this I doubt would be that much money and only for certain companies
Counterpoint; Thrasher has done a pretty peerless job of curating their YT channel and have a monopoly on US skate media. The rev share from their channel along with merch sales have allowed them to keep publishing the mag and earning ad revenue from a second endemic stream. I think it's a house of cards but it's better built than TWS or Ride were simply because the brand isn't owned by outsiders and as far as I know they aren't beholden to any shareholders, which was not the case for the other US Skate media outlets by the end of their runs.

I think with things like GX1000, Atlantic Drift, Homies etc they have already been putting money towards video production for years.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2984 on: March 28, 2023, 11:15:13 AM »
This is super random. But does anyone remember the name of the videos that had  Steven reeves and a bunch of other Oregon/PNW dudes? They had a couple full lengths they posted on YouTube. It was maybe called mall grab or something? 

I remember them fucking around drunk talking  about zattarans rice or saying skirdoosh a bunch. Probably not much to go off but worth a shot. Those videos were the shit and had a bunch or random drunk hijinx.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2985 on: March 28, 2023, 02:06:39 PM »
This is super random. But does anyone remember the name of the videos that had  Steven reeves and a bunch of other Oregon/PNW dudes? They had a couple full lengths they posted on YouTube. It was maybe called mall grab or something? 

I remember them fucking around drunk talking  about zattarans rice or saying skirdoosh a bunch. Probably not much to go off but worth a shot. Those videos were the shit and had a bunch or random drunk hijinx.

I remember the first one was Camo Can. It was on the Lowcarc website in like 2009. Lots of camo black ice drinking it in that video. There were two videos and I can’t really remember the name of the second video but it could’ve been Mall Grab. I don’t remember if they were rhyming Zattarans rice with camo can in the first or second video
fuck you bama

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2986 on: March 28, 2023, 02:12:32 PM »
Are tyshawns or fastbreaks wider? Trying to decide my next skate shoes and as long as they are a bit wider than old skools i’m happy.

chronicbackpain

• Rep: 157
« Reply #2987 on: March 28, 2023, 02:37:23 PM »
Are tyshawns or fastbreaks wider? Trying to decide my next skate shoes and as long as they are a bit wider than old skools i’m happy.
Fastbreaks

turdtastic

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2988 on: March 28, 2023, 03:03:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I remember the first one was Camo Can. It was on the Lowcarc website in like 2009. Lots of camo black ice drinking it in that video. There were two videos and I can’t really remember the name of the second video but it could’ve been Mall Grab. I don’t remember if they were rhyming Zattarans rice with camo can in the first or second video
I recollect from when I first started lurking that during the infamous non-PC 2000s era of SLAP there used to be a super gnarly poster called Camo Can back in the day?

Southernmost

« Reply #2989 on: March 28, 2023, 06:18:39 PM »

I wouldn’t say the Tyshawns are wide. I’d say they’re closer to standard or even almost narrow. Honestly, on first wear I didn’t care for them at all. But now I skate them all the time and they’re one of my favorite shoes.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2990 on: March 28, 2023, 08:18:10 PM »
Likely answered in a different thread… what were the general wheelbases on  90/2000s setups? More specifically, Static/EE narrow board/big wheel setups?

Were they much longer than we’re used to seeing now? 

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #2991 on: March 29, 2023, 03:30:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
Counterpoint; Thrasher has done a pretty peerless job of curating their YT channel and have a monopoly on US skate media. The rev share from their channel along with merch sales have allowed them to keep publishing the mag and earning ad revenue from a second endemic stream. I think it's a house of cards but it's better built than TWS or Ride were simply because the brand isn't owned by outsiders and as far as I know they aren't beholden to any shareholders, which was not the case for the other US Skate media outlets by the end of their runs.

I think with things like GX1000, Atlantic Drift, Homies etc they have already been putting money towards video production for years.

Kinda related but its strange that for Skateline (28/3/23) there was no Free Skate Mag logo in Eniz Fazliov's clip but was in the Quarter Snacks (24/3/23). I get High Speed doesn't want to promote Free but did they ask for a copy with out it? Its a shame as the clip without the Free Mag logo looks so much better...

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #2992 on: March 29, 2023, 03:58:33 AM »
Sorry to double post but anyone find any work shoes (steel toe etc) that are half decent to skate in? Like even just cruise at the site and slappy a curb or whatever...normally I get away with just using dunks but the safety are kinda on a rampage at the moment, honestly i'm not gonna fuck my foot up using a drill press to drill a few M8 clearance holes.. but now safety shoes are required in the workshop.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2993 on: March 29, 2023, 04:37:49 AM »
I have a set of bearings that I’ve been using for 4 months and they were pretty fast for most of that time but they are starting to slow down a bit. They sound good, free spin well, and aren’t dirty. Will cleaning them make a difference? Maybe just add a little oil? Or is it time for a new set? I’ve always been hard on bearings for whatever reason and usually would have cleaned bearings twice in this amount of time, but haven’t touched this set just in case maybe I was overdoing the maintenance in the past.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2994 on: March 29, 2023, 06:10:54 AM »
I have a set of bearings that I’ve been using for 4 months and they were pretty fast for most of that time but they are starting to slow down a bit. They sound good, free spin well, and aren’t dirty. Will cleaning them make a difference? Maybe just add a little oil? Or is it time for a new set? I’ve always been hard on bearings for whatever reason and usually would have cleaned bearings twice in this amount of time, but haven’t touched this set just in case maybe I was overdoing the maintenance in the past.

Depends how much you spent on them and how much time you want to spend cleaning.

Lazy like me - oil once, ride, and if they still suck just replace them with whatever is under $20 or on sale
Hardworking unlike me - clean them with alcohol, oil, and if they still suck just replace them with Bones Swiss
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #2995 on: March 29, 2023, 08:00:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Depends how much you spent on them and how much time you want to spend cleaning.

Lazy like me - oil once, ride, and if they still suck just replace them with whatever is under $20 or on sale
Hardworking unlike me - clean them with alcohol, oil, and if they still suck just replace them with Bones Swiss

This is pretty much what I was thinking. They were about $35

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2996 on: March 29, 2023, 09:40:56 AM »
Tyred of crap surfaces and stuff that doesn’t hold the speed at all

Best street wheels??
Classic 58
Conical full 54
Og classic 55
Radials 55
Classic full 54

Wich one you would go for??

Skating 8,25 and thunder trucks with bones swiss

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #2997 on: March 29, 2023, 09:48:52 AM »
Sorry to double post but anyone find any work shoes (steel toe etc) that are half decent to skate in? Like even just cruise at the site and slappy a curb or whatever...normally I get away with just using dunks but the safety are kinda on a rampage at the moment, honestly i'm not gonna fuck my foot up using a drill press to drill a few M8 clearance holes.. but now safety shoes are required in the workshop.
In Aus there's Dunlop volley. They're the classic kinda Chuck Taylor/vans retro sneaker but they make safety toe too. Def casual skateable.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2998 on: March 29, 2023, 10:43:12 AM »
Tyred of crap surfaces and stuff that doesn’t hold the speed at all

Best street wheels??
Classic 58
Conical full 54
Og classic 55
Radials 55
Classic full 54

Wich one you would go for??

Skating 8,25 and thunder trucks with bones swiss
based on your truck selection, I would go w/ either of those 54mm jawns, as Thunders tend to hit wheelbite pretty quick.
If you run them tighter, or stack a riser or two under there, you can gu up to those 55s without too much difficulty.
I run my Thunders on the looser side of medium without risers & can’t manage anything bigger than a 54, personally.
Weighing in at around 160ish, if that further advises your decision making process.
Best of luck sorting that out.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2999 on: March 29, 2023, 11:04:24 AM »
I‘m 50 % less better skater when I skate new shoes for the first week.

Is it just me?