Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 209084 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3000 on: March 29, 2023, 11:58:00 AM »
i personally dont need such big wheels nowadays. i rode like 56-58mm wheels for time but small wheels are way better for slappys and not wheelbiting. i go fast enough anyway. i have a setup with big wheels if i need them, but i am finding most of the skating im doing doesnt need it.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 462
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3001 on: March 29, 2023, 12:06:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Sorry to double post but anyone find any work shoes (steel toe etc) that are half decent to skate in? Like even just cruise at the site and slappy a curb or whatever...normally I get away with just using dunks but the safety are kinda on a rampage at the moment, honestly i'm not gonna fuck my foot up using a drill press to drill a few M8 clearance holes.. but now safety shoes are required in the workshop.
[close]
In Aus there's Dunlop volley. They're the classic kinda Chuck Taylor/vans retro sneaker but they make safety toe too. Def casual skateable.

Volcom makes some steel toe sneakers. Not on Volcom’s site but if you google “Volcom steel toe “ they should pop up.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #3002 on: March 29, 2023, 12:28:45 PM »
Do I need these?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #3003 on: March 29, 2023, 12:44:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sorry to double post but anyone find any work shoes (steel toe etc) that are half decent to skate in? Like even just cruise at the site and slappy a curb or whatever...normally I get away with just using dunks but the safety are kinda on a rampage at the moment, honestly i'm not gonna fuck my foot up using a drill press to drill a few M8 clearance holes.. but now safety shoes are required in the workshop.
[close]
In Aus there's Dunlop volley. They're the classic kinda Chuck Taylor/vans retro sneaker but they make safety toe too. Def casual skateable.
[close]

Volcom makes some steel toe sneakers. Not on Volcom’s site but if you google “Volcom steel toe “ they should pop up.

Thank you pals..

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #3004 on: March 29, 2023, 01:03:13 PM »
I‘m 50 % less better skater when I skate new shoes for the first week.

Is it just me?

Maybe for a couple days. do you skate them right out the box? Or do you wear them for a week or so or whatever break in ritual you might have?

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #3005 on: March 29, 2023, 01:42:38 PM »

Is it just me?

if you've to skate new shoes right out of box, plan on doing less to zero kickflips and just work on basic stuff that takes advantage of all that grip. 360 flips still usually work right out of the box, kickflips just suck, especially depending on the height of the foxing or high cupsole, rubber toe capped, ect...

halfflips, caspers probably work great, idk i never really fucked with those but kickflips get toe wrapped by most people with new shoes. new shoes, new grip, forget about it!

as always walk around in new shoes for awhile 1st, they're still gonna toe wrap though.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3006 on: March 29, 2023, 01:43:14 PM »
Expand Quote

Is it just me?
[close]

Last pair was out the box. But they sucked so bad that I stopped skating them after three days. Average one stars, no skate version and they were so extreme stiff and heavy. The flick was the worst I ever had with a shoe.

Now I skate Nike sb‘s and I was wearing them ten years ago, but they are I really good shape still. They skate good, but still compared to my last shoes I suck skating them. They are also high‘s. First high pair I ever skated I think. Not my thing.
But it’s the third day, so let’s see.

Maybe for a couple days. do you skate them right out the box? Or do you wear them for a week or so or whatever break in ritual you might have?

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3007 on: March 29, 2023, 01:46:20 PM »
Expand Quote

Is it just me?
[close]

if you've to skate new shoes right out of box, plan on doing less to zero kickflips and just work on basic stuff that takes advantage of all that grip. 360 flips still usually work right out of the box, kickflips just suck, especially depending on the height of the foxing or high cupsole, rubber toe capped, ect...

halfflips, caspers probably work great, idk i never really fucked with those but kickflips get toe wrapped by most people with new shoes. new shoes, new grip, forget about it!

as always walk around in new shoes for awhile 1st, they're still gonna toe wrap though.

Yeah. I’m usually 200% consistent with kickflips, but they still sick with those shoes.
How long would you wear them before skating them?
And when would you say shoes start to skate good?

And how long do you skate your shoes? Mine are done quick. So it sucks to always have days that skating is no fun with new shoes. Every few weeks.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #3008 on: March 29, 2023, 04:26:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Is it just me?
[close]

[close]

Yeah. I’m usually 200% consistent with kickflips, but they still sick with those shoes.

And how long do you skate your shoes? Mine are done quick. So it sucks to always have days that skating is no fun with new shoes. Every few weeks.

i like to get 2 weeks of on the feet, full day or at least half day wear, walking, working, whatnot. i usually have nice grippy, grip. that's something to be mindful of, shoes fresh out of the box can kickflip great on worn ass grip, board feel and flex wont be the best. i'd still rather they were broken in though.

shoes skate best when you are stoked on them, not much else helps a shoe you already don't like. it's hard to beat that, these shoes are going to make me ollie higher, flip better feeling, even though they rarely do, lol.

i give away shoes while there's still tread, but one shoe gets noticeably more worn. people probably wear them for another 3weeks-month of skating before there's no tread. i'll usually get a months worth of skating out them, minimal flipping going on now for me, some stitching ripping from flick but no holes. mostly trans. and small ledges & curbs.

linty

• Rep: 37
« Reply #3009 on: March 30, 2023, 12:25:17 AM »
Looking for a slightly chunkier beanie for my big cranium and so far the best option I've come across is this GX1000 one.

Not too keen on the turtle doodles, though. Does anyone know any plain alternatives?

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #3010 on: March 30, 2023, 07:40:57 AM »
Looking for a slightly chunkier beanie for my big cranium and so far the best option I've come across is this GX1000 one.

Not too keen on the turtle doodles, though. Does anyone know any plain alternatives?

I also have a pretty big head and not all beanies fit me well. I buy plain ol' beanies at the dollar store and they are great. I'm in Canada though, so I don't think there are Dollaramas elsewhere...

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #3011 on: March 30, 2023, 07:49:04 AM »

carhartt   

eviltgirl

• Rep: 31
« Reply #3012 on: March 30, 2023, 07:51:40 AM »

the scifi beanies are pretty thick and wide imo

linty

• Rep: 37
« Reply #3013 on: March 30, 2023, 08:39:18 AM »
carhartt
Not sure if the workwear sizing is different but the WIP ones are t i n y.

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #3014 on: March 30, 2023, 09:28:29 AM »
carpet beanies are a nice shape. they’re wide

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #3015 on: March 30, 2023, 02:48:55 PM »
I like my dime beanie, but that's probably the last acrylic beanie I'll get. What's good with wool beanies/who makes a good one?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #3016 on: March 30, 2023, 03:08:33 PM »
I like my dime beanie, but that's probably the last acrylic beanie I'll get. What's good with wool beanies/who makes a good one?

I don't own any skate branded wool beanies, but I've got a few from - of all places - J Crew, which have been really great quality. They always have crazy sales where everything from winter is like 75% off so if you wait (or look now, since it's spring) you can score then for super cheap.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3017 on: March 30, 2023, 04:37:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the scifi beanies are pretty thick and wide imo
Agreed

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2206
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3018 on: March 30, 2023, 05:43:03 PM »
Ain’t nobody googles though?!?
I entered the term “wool beanie” into the search bar, filtered for price: low to high, and also for material (wool) since it gave the option.
These things are starting at around $5 USD, often shipped at that price.
There are colors-a-plenty available, as well as multiple styles/cuts(?) including le toque de jour, the Fisherman, as made popular by NYC skaters & art directors the world over.
Save some $$$ for shoes or hard goods & keep your head comfy/cozy for less, maybe?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #3019 on: March 30, 2023, 06:01:06 PM »

If you’ve got an Army surplus store you can get a wool watch cap for about $5-10. If not, google watch cap and you can find them cheap also,

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #3020 on: March 31, 2023, 07:08:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Is it just me?
[close]

[close]

[close]

i like to get 2 weeks of on the feet, full day or at least half day wear, walking, working, whatnot. i usually have nice grippy, grip. that's something to be mindful of, shoes fresh out of the box can kickflip great on worn ass grip, board feel and flex wont be the best. i'd still rather they were broken in though.

shoes skate best when you are stoked on them, not much else helps a shoe you already don't like. it's hard to beat that, these shoes are going to make me ollie higher, flip better feeling, even though they rarely do, lol.

i give away shoes while there's still tread, but one shoe gets noticeably more worn. people probably wear them for another 3weeks-month of skating before there's no tread. i'll usually get a months worth of skating out them, minimal flipping going on now for me, some stitching ripping from flick but no holes. mostly trans. and small ledges & curbs.

At a Enjoi demo yearsssss ago I was sitting by Jose Rojo and he was scrapping his flicking shoe up against his fresh grip to help break in his new etnies so the foxing tape would'nt stick to his griptape. I've done that with half cabs that usually take forever to get the flick smooth and noticed it helped.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3021 on: March 31, 2023, 07:50:14 AM »
Tyred of crap surfaces and stuff that doesn’t hold the speed at all

Best street wheels??
Classic 58
Conical full 54
Og classic 55
Radials 55
Classic full 54

Wich one you would go for??

Skating 8,25 and thunder trucks with bones swiss

I’d say depending how tech you get etc. but my opinion I’d run classic fulls or the 58 classics and wear them down to the size you like. Radials after that.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3022 on: March 31, 2023, 09:08:37 AM »

I got a Magenta beanie a while ago and that thing is mad big and thick and I sweat like crazy in the winter. And they have cool colors.
IG: @flowterspace

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3023 on: March 31, 2023, 10:39:52 AM »
incredible artwork on that gx1000 hat  ;D   my 7 year old daughter could draw a better ninja turtle than that  8) im gonna start my own brand this summer there is a shop down the street from me that does all the shit. i already drew my first graphic and imo its better than that

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #3024 on: March 31, 2023, 11:01:49 AM »
Idk if I should skate the Manteca 4 or the Globe Austyn dover shoe?

eSK3

« Reply #3025 on: March 31, 2023, 11:26:27 AM »
Idk if I should skate the Manteca 4 or the Globe Austyn dover shoe?

Skate the Manteca
Donate the Globes to the homeless shelter.

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3026 on: March 31, 2023, 01:41:42 PM »
I been watching that some skaters doesnt use the 4 bolts of each truck. They doesnt put one of their inner bolts of each truck

Somebody got any idea about why that?

Guy mariano rides like that, you guys cam easy chek on hes ig
And Joseph Campos does it too

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #3027 on: March 31, 2023, 01:50:45 PM »
I been watching that some skaters doesnt use the 4 bolts of each truck. They doesnt put one of their inner bolts of each truck

Don’t know how it started but it’s been around since the 90’s . Same as turning wheel graphics in or turning wheel graphics in except one wheel.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #3028 on: March 31, 2023, 03:05:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Don’t know how it started but it’s been around since the 90’s . Same as turning wheel graphics in or turning wheel graphics in except one wheel.
I tried two bolts each truck and three bolts each truck, eventually the board turns one way too much.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #3029 on: March 31, 2023, 04:27:15 PM »

Unironic answer: it looks cool