Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 209048 times)

kook1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #2730 on: March 07, 2023, 05:33:18 AM »
jaccopo had his boards stacked upside down (graphic side up) in that followed video.  that seems like the wrong way to do it

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #2731 on: March 07, 2023, 06:13:15 AM »
jaccopo had his boards stacked upside down (graphic side up) in that followed video.  that seems like the wrong way to do it

If that’s how he’s doing it, that’s how I’m doing it

(I don’t have the self restraint to not set up new stuff immediately, so all my stuff is partially skated anyway)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 798
« Reply #2732 on: March 07, 2023, 06:43:23 AM »
Just make or buy a board rack?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #2733 on: March 07, 2023, 07:17:46 AM »
Is it better to store boards stacked on top of each other or on the side?

stack for sure

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2734 on: March 07, 2023, 10:51:43 AM »
Powell flight
Santa Cruz vx
Creature vx
Enjoi and almost impact light

Anything else?

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #2735 on: March 07, 2023, 11:22:11 AM »
If you wuould measure your wheels and 3 of them are a hair over 52 but 1 is already a hair under 51, where would you put it when you rotate them? Atm it's the back truck heel side one
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #2736 on: March 07, 2023, 11:40:31 AM »
Powell flight
Santa Cruz vx
Creature vx

Anything else?

Girl pop secret

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #2737 on: March 07, 2023, 04:20:41 PM »
This may be a dumb question but would 8" axle truck on an 8.25 board be awkward or too magic carpety? I've never skated a board bigger than an 8 but I think I'm finally realizing that I'm a little too big to be comfortable on an 8 anymore. Not that big but 6'0 175lbs size 11 shoe. I just feel like my feet don't have enough room anymore. I gave my buddy's 8.38 a try and I think I'm ready to try a bigger board. Anyone have experience riding that size truck on an 8.25? Is it awkward feeling? I currently have some new Royal 139s and would like to keep them, but if needed I'll just buy some 144s. Thanks!

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2738 on: March 07, 2023, 04:28:49 PM »
This may be a dumb question but would 8" axle truck on an 8.25 board be awkward or too magic carpety? I've never skated a board bigger than an 8 but I think I'm finally realizing that I'm a little too big to be comfortable on an 8 anymore. Not that big but 6'0 175lbs size 11 shoe. I just feel like my feet don't have enough room anymore. I gave my buddy's 8.38 a try and I think I'm ready to try a bigger board. Anyone have experience riding that size truck on an 8.25? Is it awkward feeling? I currently have some new Royal 139s and would like to keep them, but if needed I'll just buy some 144s. Thanks!

Throw some extra washers on the insides of the axles and you'll be sweet, two or three is good.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #2739 on: March 07, 2023, 04:41:34 PM »

I've done this a couple times when transitioning to wider decks. The magic carpet always throws me off too much for certain flatground tricks and grinds, and it doesn't feel right until I get wider trucks. Definitely try it first, though, and don't buy new trucks until you're sure you wanna make the move permanent. But yeah, like the guy above said, put two extra washers on the inside of each axle.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #2740 on: March 07, 2023, 04:44:15 PM »
If you wuould measure your wheels and 3 of them are a hair over 52 but 1 is already a hair under 51, where would you put it when you rotate them? Atm it's the back truck heel side one

Biggest wheel goes on the toeside back, second largest on the heelside back. The two smallest go up front. I don't think it matters which side.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2741 on: March 07, 2023, 04:52:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Throw some extra washers on the insides of the axles and you'll be sweet, two or three is good.

I think picking your truck size is more important than deck width (deck width being possibly the most overrated skateboard measurement…or is it).

What the others have said, toss some washers in there first. I was doing waaaaaay better when I didn’t overthink it. It is surprising how much the washers move the wheels out. For me, the magic carpet works a bit better, but now that I think about crap like this too much I can start hating how it looks. Which isn’t important. Until it is, and then. Sometimes you just gotta be stoked on your setup. So whatever it takes.
Some 8.25s thicker than others. I’ve got an 8.125 that is full, and feels larger than 8.25s I have. All to say that kick shape plays a role in all of this.

Short version: try and make your current trucks work imo

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #2742 on: March 07, 2023, 05:11:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
it's preferable to avoid stacking
put them on the side (be sure they are 90° with the ground)

@tzhangdox I'd recommend not to stack them. I used to stack mine, and they developed stress cracks. I've since put them on the side, on a carpeted floor, and in a cool dark space. I haven't seen any real warping on any of them since.

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #2743 on: March 07, 2023, 05:16:17 PM »
Thanks guys I think the washer thing is a good idea, I'll give it a try. I need to be smarter about buying gear too because now I have like 7 different 8" boards still in the plastic that I'm not sure I even want anymore. Might just keep like 2 and give the rest to kids at the park and feel like Santa lol. 

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2744 on: March 07, 2023, 05:32:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Biggest wheel goes on the toeside back, second largest on the heelside back. The two smallest go up front. I don't think it matters which side.

Agreed, but it usually depends on how a person skates too.  A lot of slides or really pushing into things can wear wheels unevenly, but for the most part, when changing around wheels, the smallest wheel always goes on the front heel side for me as that wears out the least.  Front toe can wear more just on the outside edge, as can the back toe a bit, but the back heel usually wears from the inside.  The back always wears down faster overall than the front.

Is there any noticeable coning on any of them?

Also helps if the wheels are symmetrical so if needed you can flip one or more over if they start coning or wear unevenly but are still of a size to leave them in the same position on the board.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #2745 on: March 07, 2023, 05:52:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

@tzhangdox I'd recommend not to stack them. I used to stack mine, and they developed stress cracks. I've since put them on the side, on a carpeted floor, and in a cool dark space. I haven't seen any real warping on any of them since.

insane as i've never had an issue stacking but i have had boards warp on their side

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2746 on: March 07, 2023, 06:42:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

insane as i've never had an issue stacking but i have had boards warp on their side

Wait. The boards developed ‘pressure cracks’ from just being stacked? What the heck.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2747 on: March 08, 2023, 12:14:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Powell flight
Santa Cruz vx
Creature vx

Anything else?
[close]

Girl pop secret

Thx. All not that easy to get here. Pop secret specially, so when I always want the same shape it’s tough.

Is it true that enjoi is done?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2748 on: March 08, 2023, 01:10:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I worked in a lumber yard and we weren’t supposed to sit plywood on it’s side lest it deform, so I don’t see why skateboards would be any different. Stacked together will have more constant and even pressure applied throughout the decks.

make sense for large pieces of plywood because of the dimensions but not for boards that are shaped with different concaves, wheelbase, nose and tail angles. Stacking, depending on the weight, may cause deformation
we already discussed this topic somewhere, on the side is still the way to go for boards
materials engineer here ;)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 03:40:02 AM by BALARGUE »

IpathCats

« Reply #2749 on: March 08, 2023, 06:48:51 AM »
I got way too drunk last Friday in DC and lost my rain jacket at the warner theater somewhere.

So now I'm looking for a nice rain jacket, any suggestions? I know its not really skateboarding related but ive gotten so many great recommendations on here that i thought i should ask. @Sanka Coffie with the gramicci tip and @jay_nev on the patagonia baggies, ive bought several pairs of each, thanks again guys.

currently looking at the patagonia torrentshell or slate sky, but i really dont know what else to look at. Didnt really like what carhartt had to offer which is my usual go to. Not stoked on north face either.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2750 on: March 08, 2023, 07:21:38 AM »
I got way too drunk last Friday in DC and lost my rain jacket at the warner theater somewhere.

So now I'm looking for a nice rain jacket, any suggestions? I know its not really skateboarding related but ive gotten so many great recommendations on here that i thought i should ask. @Sanka Coffie with the gramicci tip and @jay_nev on the patagonia baggies, ive bought several pairs of each, thanks again guys.

currently looking at the patagonia torrentshell or slate sky, but i really dont know what else to look at. Didnt really like what carhartt had to offer which is my usual go to. Not stoked on north face either.

Colombia?

https://www.the-house.com/mens-rain-jackets

Shopped there a few times for tops and wheels, inventory is limited but I can't argue with 40% off with code SAVINGS.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2751 on: March 08, 2023, 07:29:33 AM »
I use a carhartt ‘storm defender’. Local skate shop was selling em too. Name is kinda…
Anyways, it works great for construction work, and is never out of place in the northwest.
Patagucci is sick, and if I had that kind of money I’d think about it.
Bike related, but I’ve had several chrome jackets that I thought would last ten minutes, ala some skate spitfire/4star type garment, that have instead lasted more like 10 years. Not sure if their stuff is still quality, but it was.

I guess I’d be asking: is this rain gear? Like grundens? Or a jacket that can handle some moisture, but needs to look kinda decent. Where I live, tech garments and tech employees are so intertwined, the look starts to kind of suck. My tech BROther had a mountain hardwear coat that would not die.
Long, longer, I appreciate spending more, on some nicer stuff that will last longer, and is hopefully somewhat ethical, but that’s a slippery slope at best.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2752 on: March 08, 2023, 07:33:02 AM »

I'm on my second Torrent Shell, really good for around a city, eay to pack small, the hood has great adjustability and easy to layer with Hoods/Down Jackets.

IpathCats

« Reply #2753 on: March 08, 2023, 07:53:11 AM »
I use a carhartt ‘storm defender’. Local skate shop was selling em too. Name is kinda…
Anyways, it works great for construction work, and is never out of place in the northwest.
Patagucci is sick, and if I had that kind of money I’d think about it.
Bike related, but I’ve had several chrome jackets that I thought would last ten minutes, ala some skate spitfire/4star type garment, that have instead lasted more like 10 years. Not sure if their stuff is still quality, but it was.

I guess I’d be asking: is this rain gear? Like grundens? Or a jacket that can handle some moisture, but needs to look kinda decent. Where I live, tech garments and tech employees are so intertwined, the look starts to kind of suck. My tech BROther had a mountain hardwear coat that would not die.
Long, longer, I appreciate spending more, on some nicer stuff that will last longer, and is hopefully somewhat ethical, but that’s a slippery slope at best.

Just a rain jacket outer layer no need to look fancy. I forgot about mountain hardware though, they make nice stuff, ill check them out

edit: Oh just looked at mountain hardware site, think im gonna go with them. i like the fit on the threshold better than patagonia, looks a little more relaxed.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #2754 on: March 08, 2023, 08:16:57 AM »
Do you take the sticker off your new trucks?

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #2755 on: March 08, 2023, 08:46:41 AM »

always

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #2756 on: March 08, 2023, 08:56:05 AM »

Yeah, usually gotta soak em or use Goo-Gone to get it all off.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #2757 on: March 08, 2023, 09:20:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, usually gotta soak em or use Goo-Gone to get it all off.

Ditto. I'm usually not that fussy about stuff but I really can't stand any glue residue whatsoever.

IpathCats

« Reply #2758 on: March 08, 2023, 09:42:44 AM »

I rip it off, scratch at the remnants for a bit, give up on getting it all off, then scratch a little more off everytime i swap decks until its gone.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 798
« Reply #2759 on: March 08, 2023, 11:06:28 AM »
Acetone on a tissue pals. Shit is gone instantly