Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202038 times)

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #930 on: May 07, 2022, 03:00:11 PM »
Has anyone skated the "Blem" blank decks from CCS? Might want to buy them but I would like to know the shape and wheelbase.
I’d just be scared of getting a warped board

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #931 on: May 07, 2022, 08:17:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone skated the "Blem" blank decks from CCS? Might want to buy them but I would like to know the shape and wheelbase.
[close]
I’d just be scared of getting a warped board

I’ve found most warped boards don’t stay warped for more than a few sessions tho
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #932 on: May 07, 2022, 09:45:31 PM »
Something we were pondering at the skatepark the other day - why did kingpins stop snapping about 10 years ago? Did the metal used change in quality? When I was young we couldn't go a Saturday without someone in the crew snapping a kingpin but I literally don't think I've even seen it happen in over a decade
I hate to say it makes me so happy to hear this. I brought up the same thing a while back and literally everyone was like wtf kingpins never broke. Venture even seem to be the same design so I'm too scared to buy them. Every other weekend a kingpin would break and then every other time you'd try to change it the baseplate would break. Fuck the old days.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #933 on: May 08, 2022, 02:33:04 PM »
Is Colin McKay the best street skater to be known primarily for his vert skills?

I'm not talking atv, park skater, but actually of the streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zwLL9bk1Sg

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #934 on: May 08, 2022, 02:38:03 PM »
Is Colin McKay the best street skater to be known primarily for his vert skills?

I'm not talking atv, park skater, but actually of the streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zwLL9bk1Sg

By how you’ve worded this…maybe?
Like I think Chany was better all around, but…he was known as primarily a street skater. Same with Alphonzo  Rawls.
Colin brought the most street stuff to vert, his tech ledge tricks performed on vert coping are pretty incredible.
So, yeah?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #935 on: May 08, 2022, 05:00:26 PM »
Colin is a vert guy….I’m pretty sure he’d tell you that……street guys who skated vert is more like Mike V or Jason Lee….

You guys are talking vert guys who skated street…..

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #936 on: May 08, 2022, 05:07:44 PM »
Colin is a vert guy….I’m pretty sure he’d tell you that……street guys who skated vert is more like Mike V or Jason Lee….

Yes. Now I agree with you. Influenced.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #937 on: May 08, 2022, 05:13:15 PM »

To me, what you're saying is just a testament to what I'm saying: he's fully credible as a vert skater, to the point that it eclipses the fact that he's a street skater.

You could take the vert out of his virtual reality part and it would still be legit. Shelltoes, hoodies, downtown hijinx, sw front blunts in parking garages and flips out of slides, couldn't get much more street in '93...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #938 on: May 08, 2022, 06:39:07 PM »
That’s just a skater in the 90’s…..he was such a vert guy and so down for it, that he brought street to vert to essentially save it.  It sounds melodramatic but it’s true, he could have just been a street guy, never touch a vert ramp again ie. Steve Berra….

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #939 on: May 09, 2022, 12:00:39 AM »
^ also helps that, as a whole, folks are riding their trucks looser. Less broken kingpins (but more bushing / pivot issues).
Also gap/stair skating being less prominent.

Good thing about this is the bushing/pivot issues are easier to repair for truck longevity. For a long time, a broken kingpin meant buying new trucks.
Super Champion Fun Zone

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #940 on: May 09, 2022, 03:17:10 AM »
I have a question/theory thing:

Smaller feet/shoes tend to be more likely to develop the ollie hole on the side of the shoe

Larger feet/shoes tend to be more likely to develop the ollie hole closer to the toes and not on the side of the shoe.

I know technique of ollie plays a large role, but there has to be some scientific relationship here between shoe size and surface area affecting ollie hole placement.

Thoughts?

FWIW:  I'm an 11-11.5 and my ollie hole area almost always is closer to the toe than it is on the side where those rubber bumpers usually get placed (AA Authentic High, Emerica Pillar, etc.)
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #941 on: May 09, 2022, 03:29:15 AM »

Smaller feet/shoes tend to be more likely to develop the ollie hole on the side of the shoe

Larger feet/shoes tend to be more likely to develop the ollie hole closer to the toes and not on the side of the shoe.

I know technique of ollie plays a large role, but there has to be some scientific relationship here between shoe size and surface area affecting ollie hole placement.

Thoughts?

FWIW:  I'm an 11-11.5 and my ollie hole area almost always is closer to the toe than it is on the side where those rubber bumpers usually get placed (AA Authentic High, Emerica Pillar, etc.)
I kinda had a similar theory in the worn out shoes thread. Same general idea but more about wearing the top eyelets and collar of the shoe out more if you have smaller feet. I wear 13s and I think my Ollie holes in a pretty normal spot (imagine a pair of vans old skool my Ollie hole will be in that little shape of stitching on the side)but I don't wear out the collar of the shoe much at all unless I'm on a backside or frontside heel streak which honestly isn't very often.

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #942 on: May 09, 2022, 08:22:19 AM »
has anyone found a way to successfully stretch the waist on a pair of 874s?

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #943 on: May 09, 2022, 08:56:29 AM »
Size up. Dickies poly/cotton twill blend will stretch out some, but it’s harsh. Don’t wash or dry them on hot.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #944 on: May 09, 2022, 12:27:26 PM »
Wrong thread.

My question is

I have a cd I burned with pals video songs. I made enough to last more than a few seasons.

I don’t have a cd drive computer available. The one in public I was using the library replaced and the new one don’t frickin work.

How do I send these? Where do I go like staples or something?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 12:35:28 PM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #945 on: May 09, 2022, 01:08:10 PM »
I've snapped 2 DLX 8.38 in a row. tail snaps both times when skating switch. The decks are fairly flat/long and I can pop pretty well on it, but is there a reason why I snap longer boards more?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #946 on: May 09, 2022, 02:08:45 PM »
I've snapped 2 DLX 8.38 in a row. tail snaps both times when skating switch. The decks are fairly flat/long and I can pop pretty well on it, but is there a reason why I snap longer boards more?

Give me a deck long enough and a truck on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
                                                -Archimedes

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #947 on: May 09, 2022, 02:37:52 PM »
more space away from the bolts to land on?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #948 on: May 10, 2022, 03:13:06 AM »

Thoughts?

pretty sur it has nothing to do with feet size
10US here and i wear my shoes / make a hole on the side / collar (right in the middle of the shoe)
A friend is 9.5US and only wear over the toes

Running a shop, i see loads of fucked up shoes. It doesn't seem like there's a correlation with size
we just have different techniques

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #949 on: May 10, 2022, 04:26:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Size up. Dickies poly/cotton twill blend will stretch out some, but it’s harsh. Don’t wash or dry them on hot.

Yeah we used to always tell people to get the next size up in 874 and put a belt in if they were too loose around the top, which is what I have done for near on fifteen to twenty years after getting a few pairs and feeling like they were just a touch too tight in my normal size waist.

The 874 pant really need to sit up on the waist to be comfortable anyway, rather than slouch or low rise type pants.

A few guys I know who "grew" out of them put four slits in the main waistband area equally spaced, two in the front sides and two in the back sides and then used a belt and that worked for them, sort of like an expander but I don't know how much life they had left in them from doing that, or if anything more happened from cutting them.

Just an option though.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #950 on: May 10, 2022, 05:13:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah we used to always tell people to get the next size up in 874 and put a belt in if they were too loose around the top, which is what I have done for near on fifteen to twenty years after getting a few pairs and feeling like they were just a touch too tight in my normal size waist.

The 874 pant really need to sit up on the waist to be comfortable anyway, rather than slouch or low rise type pants.

A few guys I know who "grew" out of them put four slits in the main waistband area equally spaced, two in the front sides and two in the back sides and then used a belt and that worked for them, sort of like an expander but I don't know how much life they had left in them from doing that, or if anything more happened from cutting them.

Just an option though.
Depends how you want them to fit on you but if you don't want to size up what I did years ago was super glue the zip so it stayed done up and not do up the little clip thing at the top.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #951 on: May 10, 2022, 05:59:39 AM »
Something we were pondering at the skatepark the other day - why did kingpins stop snapping about 10 years ago? Did the metal used change in quality? When I was young we couldn't go a Saturday without someone in the crew snapping a kingpin but I literally don't think I've even seen it happen in over a decade

Wanted to chime in on this from a page back. Kingpins are definitely stronger now. When Mullen released the original Tensor he was the first I know of to use the button head kingpin we are familiar with today. It’s grade 8 steel. The old hex heads prior, not only heavier, were only a grade 5 steel. The button head, grade 8 became the industry standard and all trucks are lighter and stronger to thank for it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #952 on: May 10, 2022, 08:56:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wanted to chime in on this from a page back. Kingpins are definitely stronger now. When Mullen released the original Tensor he was the first I know of to use the button head kingpin we are familiar with today. It’s grade 8 steel. The old hex heads prior, not only heavier, were only a grade 5 steel. The button head, grade 8 became the industry standard and all trucks are lighter and stronger to thank for it.
Indys and ventures had the button kingpins too and they always broke. Funnily enough I had a set of og tensors I kept in my backpack and would often end up switching back to when I broke my Indy/ventures. My memory is theeve came out everyone switched to them (at least in Aus) and never had a problem, then thunder came out with the 149, then the forged baseplate everyone switched to them and never had a problem then Indy updated their trucks and everyone switched back and never really had a problem again.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 09:21:50 AM by Mean salto »

oak leaf

• Rep: 45
« Reply #953 on: May 10, 2022, 09:06:57 AM »
aight so everyone does tricks in their own way at the end of the day… but when people say “pop straight down” (read/heard this advice a ton) do they mean straight down through your leg or straight down through the kick?

i never asked this q because its hard to word…

Like if the kick is at a roughly 45deg angle, is “popping straight down” popping at 0 deg or at 45?

Edit for clarity but maybe more confusion:
The 45 degree pop down “through” the kick could also be described as popping “back” if that makes any sense at all

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #954 on: May 10, 2022, 09:19:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is interesting. When I was in middle school/high school i rode royals a lot because my friends older brother was flow (?) I think, and those kingpins broke constantly...

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 116
« Reply #955 on: May 10, 2022, 10:00:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember Tensor making a big deal out of this in their early marketing.

I actually still remember how to look at the markings on the heads to figure out the grading because of it.  Grade 5 has 3 ridges on the head/button and grade 8 has 6 ridges.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #956 on: May 11, 2022, 12:05:51 AM »
anyone else get bad nostalgia from specific skate videos? sigh...

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #957 on: May 11, 2022, 04:52:33 AM »

Almost Round 3
Elementality Volume 1
Flip Really Sorry
The DC Video

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #958 on: May 11, 2022, 04:58:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Almost Round 3
Elementality Volume 1
Flip Really Sorry
The DC Video
Not too bad but that sorta 09-14 period of Dylan, Austyn, gravis, alien etc can get me. I never went too tight pants with thin gravis whatever but I def dressed nice button ups etc for those years. Sad old man misses being in his prime type feeling of seen on the wrong day lol. Then ipath promo type of stuff is like the salad days nostalgia

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #959 on: May 11, 2022, 07:34:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Just an option though.

do the 874 FLEX models sit lower on the waist than the classic 874?