Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216634 times)

realbasedgod112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2022, 02:39:06 PM »
Has anyone seen the Nike SB Shane O’Neill’s in the wild? I’m convinced these shoes do not actually exist
i see them sometimes, but i've only once seen the nike nyjah shoes. it sounds dickish but they mean an automatic kook from me. the kid that had them kind of ripped though so he was okay.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 46
« Reply #241 on: February 14, 2022, 04:14:30 PM »
Has anyone seen the Nike SB Shane O’Neill’s in the wild? I’m convinced these shoes do not actually exist

I have a friend that rips but doesn’t know or care about skate culture whatsoever. He’s skating a pair of the Shane’s. I asked how he liked them after years of skating janoskis. His dead serious response was “these aren’t janoskis??”

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2022, 01:35:40 PM »
I rarely skate skateparks, but when I do it always makes me think my board size is too small because I feel less in control (slippery/dustier ground, bigger obstacles, etc). I’ve been at 8.38 so naturally an upgrade would be 8.5 but I know if I go up, I can’t go back. Is the park just getting to me? Am I crazy? Or does this happen to everyone else?

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2022, 04:45:04 PM »
Do Cons pro's (Alexis mid) still fit a half size smaller than Vans?

realbasedgod112

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2022, 04:57:59 PM »
I rarely skate skateparks, but when I do it always makes me think my board size is too small because I feel less in control (slippery/dustier ground, bigger obstacles, etc). I’ve been at 8.38 so naturally an upgrade would be 8.5 but I know if I go up, I can’t go back. Is the park just getting to me? Am I crazy? Or does this happen to everyone else?
i've never really gotten that but i can understand why you would feel that, however sizing up a deck would likely not resolve the problems you described.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2022, 05:29:19 PM »

The 8.38 is pretty perfect - a little more nimble than 8.5 but at least the DLX 8.38 (same BBS shape as Bakerboys and a few others) is almost 8.5 anyway.

Re skateparks - before covid I used to skate a lot more parks, but in the last couple of years, I have been skating my own shed mini (micro) ramp, carparks, curbs and only ventured out to skateparks once in a while and everything feels weird and strange and big now to me.

When I think back about what I used to do (certainly more than what I can do now, but definitely far from pro skills anyway) I just don't quite have it in me to even try half that stuff any more.

If you skate them a lot more, you would get more familiar with the parks and layouts and be more confident, but when skating them less you will find that those skills often get left behind.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #246 on: February 15, 2022, 05:42:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i see them sometimes, but i've only once seen the nike nyjah shoes. it sounds dickish but they mean an automatic kook from me. the kid that had them kind of ripped though so he was okay.

Ha! Same. I’ve never seen the nyjah 2s out in the wild until today when I went skating and looked down at my own feet. I was genuinely curious about the shoe tech and wanted to try a pair. I must say the grip on them is pretty good. 

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #247 on: February 15, 2022, 07:03:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i've never really gotten that but i can understand why you would feel that, however sizing up a deck would likely not resolve the problems you described.

I feel that. Probably was just not used to the park at all.

Expand Quote
[close]

The 8.38 is pretty perfect - a little more nimble than 8.5 but at least the DLX 8.38 (same BBS shape as Bakerboys and a few others) is almost 8.5 anyway.

Re skateparks - before covid I used to skate a lot more parks, but in the last couple of years, I have been skating my own shed mini (micro) ramp, carparks, curbs and only ventured out to skateparks once in a while and everything feels weird and strange and big now to me.

When I think back about what I used to do (certainly more than what I can do now, but definitely far from pro skills anyway) I just don't quite have it in me to even try half that stuff any more.

If you skate them a lot more, you would get more familiar with the parks and layouts and be more confident, but when skating them less you will find that those skills often get left behind.

You’re right, probably just need better conditioning than curbs haha thank you for making sense. Everything did feel big at the park. Just not used to it anymore.

realbasedgod112

« Reply #248 on: February 15, 2022, 07:18:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Ha! Same. I’ve never seen the nyjah 2s out in the wild until today when I went skating and looked down at my own feet. I was genuinely curious about the shoe tech and wanted to try a pair. I must say the grip on them is pretty good.
every bone and muscle in my body is screaming at me right now... i must resist..

LebowskisRug

« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2022, 08:32:05 PM »
I see Shanes on a ton of alt tech bros.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 177
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2022, 09:19:17 PM »
Dose anyone know where McCrank buys his shirts?

I almost always skate in a long sleeve button downs and I would like to support

realbasedgod112

« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2022, 10:39:06 PM »
what the fuck is the point of those 'full' antihero decks that are just rectangles? surely there is NO way that anyone can skate with them, right?

right?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2022, 11:51:03 PM »
what the fuck is the point of those 'full' antihero decks that are just rectangles? surely there is NO way that anyone can skate with them, right?

right?

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

realbasedgod112

« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2022, 01:39:08 AM »

show me ONE clip of someone successfully flipping one of those planks

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #254 on: February 18, 2022, 01:39:57 AM »

right?

Antihero pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable as well as taking the piss out of the rest of the skateboard industry over their "full shaped" decks.

There is a video of all of them skating them and they seem to be going ok on them, but I do wonder how many will just go on a wall, or even be perfect to reshape into something else, even slightly round off the kicks...

Any which way they all sold out fairly quickly, from all the places I saw anyway.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #255 on: February 18, 2022, 01:43:34 AM »

I hadn't even seen your reply when I was looking for that clip, but I think there is at least one or two flips in there.

But they are a "fun board" and not at all to be taken seriously really.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #256 on: February 18, 2022, 02:24:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I hadn't even seen your reply when I was looking for that clip, but I think there is at least one or two flips in there.

At least 1 kickflip and 1 half-cab flip

Shape fits the dimensions of 1 sheet of griptape, not trimming required, optimized for the busy pro
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

realbasedgod112

« Reply #257 on: February 18, 2022, 02:33:06 AM »
Expand Quote

right?
[close]

Antihero pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable as well as taking the piss out of the rest of the skateboard industry over their "full shaped" decks.

There is a video of all of them skating them and they seem to be going ok on them, but I do wonder how many will just go on a wall, or even be perfect to reshape into something else, even slightly round off the kicks...

Any which way they all sold out fairly quickly, from all the places I saw anyway.

holy shit.
i must admit i was skeptical at first, but after seeing that video i'm quite frankly mindfucked. how can something be so elegant, yet so full? true grimple? die cut for grip. grimple. grimple. grimple. True full! (Grimple)

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #258 on: February 18, 2022, 03:08:04 AM »
There's been a few of these plank boards over the years I think in the past it's been presented as a way you can cut your own custom shape.
I think alien and creature had templates included and enjoi had one with different patterns as the graphic.
Spray a graphic and put some small tassles in the corners and make your own magic carpet

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 118
« Reply #259 on: February 19, 2022, 08:41:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

At least 1 kickflip and 1 half-cab flip

Shape fits the dimensions of 1 sheet of griptape, not trimming required, optimized for the busy pro

From Gerwer's Chrome Ball:

“Grimple Doesn’t Cut Corners” is incredible.

It all started because of a board that didn’t fit in our boxes. My OCD made me so angry at the size of that board, I remember looking at the box and thinking, “How sick would it be to have a whole board that’s the exact size of this box? It would fit perfectly.”

We already had the mold and wheelbase to fit this criteria, so I ran into production and asked them to make me a board that’s the dimensions of our boxes.

“What?”

“Yes, so when you put them all in the box, they fit perfectly.”

That’s why that board exists. The True Full, the truest there is.

https://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2022/01/chrome-ball-interview-153-frank-gerwer.html
Enjoy your life.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: February 20, 2022, 05:22:11 AM »
There's been a few of these plank boards over the years I think in the past it's been presented as a way you can cut your own custom shape.
I think alien and creature had templates included and enjoi had one with different patterns as the graphic.
Spray a graphic and put some small tassles in the corners and make your own magic carpet

I haven't seen any of those in a while now, so I wonder if they just don't have the interest any more, or the smaller board manufacturers and DIY people are doing more of their own, compared to buying uncut blanks anyway.

The "make your own magic carpet" idea is pretty cool too.

Waiting to see if someone actually does that - which would look good for an old King of the Road challenge type setup, maybe before it went to Viceland and got blown out.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #261 on: February 20, 2022, 05:50:40 AM »
When you setup a new complete, skate it for 5 sessions and wanna sell it . How much would you ask for ?
FA Louie Lopez 8.18 ( his first board ) new 80€
Venture 5.6 v-lights new 86€
Spitfire Tablets 53 mm new 60€
Bronson G3 new 35€
So we talking 260€ new, around 290 USD
Edit. No chips on the board but a few nose and tailslides, a few grinds on the trucks. Wheels at 52,8 mm.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

disclosed

• Rep: 186
« Reply #262 on: February 20, 2022, 06:02:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven't seen any of those in a while now, so I wonder if they just don't have the interest any more, or the smaller board manufacturers and DIY people are doing more of their own, compared to buying uncut blanks anyway.

Waiting to see if someone actually does that - which would look good for an old King of the Road challenge type setup, maybe before it went to Viceland and got blown out.

Blast Skates did another run of theirs last year.

i think it just never really got off. aspecially since these days its not as hard to get your hands on uncuts for way cheaper than the branded stuff. especially like the creature one that didnt even have a graphic but you paid full price for.

Jowiththeflow

• Rep: 18
« Reply #263 on: February 20, 2022, 10:05:47 AM »
When you setup a new complete, skate it for 5 sessions and wanna sell it . How much would you ask for ?
Bronson G3 new 35€
Edit. No chips on the board but a few nose and tailslides, a few grinds on the trucks. Wheels at 52,8 mm.

50 +/- 10%. Depending on who's more broke, me or the buyer.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #264 on: February 20, 2022, 01:53:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Bronson G3 new 35€
[close]

50 +/- 10%. Depending on who's more broke, me or the buyer.

Both are broke so.. gonna ask for 160.. would be a good deal I guess
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #265 on: February 20, 2022, 02:52:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Blast Skates did another run of theirs last year.

i think it just never really got off. aspecially since these days its not as hard to get your hands on uncuts for way cheaper than the branded stuff. especially like the creature one that didnt even have a graphic but you paid full price for.

Yeah that looks great - even rounded off the corners, double drilled, shape guide included. 

Got it all going on right there.

The other thing I was thinking too is quite a few brands are now actually making more shapes and sizes, as it was fairly limited at one stage, but now there are so many more bigger boards, or at least different shapes, so more people are happier on something they can buy that is already the right shape and size for what they want, or close enough.

A couple of guys I know are all over the Scram boards now, but they were right into the buying blanks and cutting their own as no one else had anything like that, or at least not in any quality wood with reasonable availability too.

It is good to have options.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #266 on: February 21, 2022, 06:04:13 AM »
Whats the best paint/laquer/varnish or whatever I can get in a spraycan that'll give an unfinished deck that factory fresh shine?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: February 21, 2022, 03:05:56 PM »
Whats the best paint/laquer/varnish or whatever I can get in a spraycan that'll give an unfinished deck that factory fresh shine?

Is it called "Clear coat" or is that just the name that people give it?

That is what I have always thought it was, but there might be other brands that just list it as "clear" in the paint range.

As to specific brands, I don't really know about there in USA, but some of the higher end paint brands might give you a better product than the cheap $2 shop cans.

I recall anything with a matt finish doesn't slide as well as a gloss finish, but anything sprayed too thickly will also tend to not slide as well.

Sorry that pic is probably huge.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #268 on: February 22, 2022, 04:49:48 AM »
What the heck is going on with shoe companies and not making size 13 shoes? Nike and Adidas are the worst but sometimes nb and vans too. New shoe comes out and every site has every size but not 13 but they often have 14,15,16. Are they superstitious? I've noticed often size 4 is also greyed out. There's a certain type of people who don't like the number 4 who are pretty important to sports brands.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #269 on: February 22, 2022, 08:39:49 AM »
i usually see sz 13 but rarely 12.5 (my actual size)
maybe they are just selling out early?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo