Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216715 times)

realbasedgod112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #420 on: March 09, 2022, 03:07:45 PM »
Low trucks + steep kicks opinions?

Ace low + fa/hockey for example.
i preferred mellower kicks on thunder, thunders aren't the same as ace lo but similar.
scoop tricks felt better to me that way, but by all means experiment! everyone has different tastes after all.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #421 on: March 09, 2022, 10:32:53 PM »
Any pointers describing hardware for deck rails? I know what they look like but don't know the type or exact length to look for.

Best guess would be 1/2" Philips Round Head screws with a point?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 06:17:39 AM by Fooj »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #422 on: March 09, 2022, 10:42:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
what is that japanese site that measures all the decks?
[close]
https://r-fskate.com/smartphone/
[close]
^THIS

...Although a few other sites now are also starting to list more dimensions.

EDIT: prior post had the main page which is useless for people who don't read Japanese.

https://www.californiastreet.net/c/skateboard/deck?sort=latest#brandlist
My bad https://r-fskate.com/smartphone/list.html?category_code=de_brand
Just hit the pull down arrow at the top and you can search by brand

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #423 on: March 09, 2022, 10:49:18 PM »
I've had both, ace lows and venture lows. Ventures felt so much better. The pop feel is just so much sharper. Turn goes to aces but that kingpin clearence was so bad

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #424 on: March 09, 2022, 11:01:09 PM »
Where can I get Ace hard bushings in the EU?

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #425 on: March 09, 2022, 11:15:26 PM »
I've had both, ace lows and venture lows. Ventures felt so much better. The pop feel is just so much sharper. Turn goes to aces but that kingpin clearence was so bad

What decks did you ride them with ?

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #426 on: March 10, 2022, 06:25:23 AM »
Any pointers describing hardware for deck rails? I know what they look like but don't know the type or exact length to look for.

#6 or #8 x .5"-5/8" wood screws. I'd recommend the 5/8" if you are using something thicker like a Bones or New Deal rail.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #427 on: March 10, 2022, 09:36:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Rode Passport with both. Long and mellow kicks. Aces didn't work at all. If you do lot of 5050s kingpin will also catch

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #428 on: March 10, 2022, 01:06:03 PM »
Expand Quote
If measuring decks in metric became the standard would it make peoples madness less or worse?
For me I think often I'd be like oh it's only 3mm who cares but I can imagine (maybe more so with imperial users) some others being like wtf 3mm that's huge
[close]

Hahaha, that's a tough one.

I mean if one has already delved into the fiery madness of wheelbase length, using metric might cause a flare-up of hemorrhoidal proportions after eating ghost peppers.

Ultimately 3mm = a hair over 1/16th of an inch.

But the numerical value of "3" without conceptual grasp of units may prove to be the proverbial plastic straw that broke the camel's back or got stuck in the leatherback turtle's nostril.

YMMV; Princess and the pea. ;)
C’mon, dude. 3mm = .118”, 1/16”= .0625. Way closer to a hair under 1/8” than a hair over 1/16”. .007 v .0555 freedom units
Also, yeah-3mm~1/8’ is insignificant on board dimensions, kinda a deal for wheels and only matters on height for trucks

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #429 on: March 10, 2022, 04:13:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
If measuring decks in metric became the standard would it make peoples madness less or worse?
For me I think often I'd be like oh it's only 3mm who cares but I can imagine (maybe more so with imperial users) some others being like wtf 3mm that's huge
[close]

I mean if one has already delved into the fiery madness of wheelbase length, using metric might cause a flare-up of hemorrhoidal proportions after eating ghost peppers.

But the numerical value of "3" without conceptual grasp of units may prove to be the proverbial plastic straw that broke the camel's back or got stuck in the leatherback turtle's nostril.

[close]
C’mon, dude. 3mm = .118”, 1/16”= .0625. Way closer to a hair under 1/8” than a hair over 1/16”. .007 v .0555 freedom units
Also, yeah-3mm~1/8’ is insignificant on board dimensions, kinda a deal for wheels and only matters on height for trucks

It is funny though, cause trying to get someone to ride an 8.25 after being on an 8.38 and we could both clearly tell the difference in that amount of width of deck was a curious thing, given I didn't say what the board size was, but it definitely made a difference.

Some boards that are only a single mm different not so much though.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • the moon rules
« Reply #430 on: March 10, 2022, 05:11:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My first set of Ace’s were classic 03’s. I think I preferred them to the full height Ace’s I tried after. I skated them with an 8.12 eagle and 52mm classics. It was a good setup. Can’t say it had a noticeable effect on my pop either way though. 50-50’s weren’t that much of an issue after a couple of days either since I skated them until they were axled
fuck you bama

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #431 on: March 10, 2022, 06:28:29 PM »
do yall change bushings when changing wheelbase?

the ace low set were great with a 14.25 wb
feeling a little too squirrelly on a 13.9 deck
thinking of running the supercush 94a on the short wb deck
& moving the ace lows to a 14.38 transition setup
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #432 on: March 11, 2022, 05:43:06 AM »
Do certain wheels kill your bearings?

I bought a set of stf's on discount from SW and so far they've killed 8 old swiss and now 2 mini logo bearings. The swiss were a year old and I put them in from the axle (the wheel hole was really tight so I think that probably damaged it a lot), but the mini logos I put on using a hammer and an old bearing.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #433 on: March 11, 2022, 05:53:39 AM »
Kinda random one. Did anyone have those old Reese Forbes dunks with the camo upper and orange soles (I think called hunter)? Did they have some suede or leather material under the canvas?

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #434 on: March 11, 2022, 06:10:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

It is funny though, cause trying to get someone to ride an 8.25 after being on an 8.38 and we could both clearly tell the difference in that amount of width of deck was a curious thing, given I didn't say what the board size was, but it definitely made a difference.

Some boards that are only a single mm different not so much though.
No, yeah, I’m totally full of BS. I would abso-smurfing-lutely insist 8.375 is too small, but will skate an 8.5. I’ve generally been riding big’uns and don’t sweat 8.75 through 9.25ish.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #435 on: March 11, 2022, 06:22:26 AM »
Do certain wheels kill your bearings?

I bought a set of stf's on discount from SW and so far they've killed 8 old swiss and now 2 mini logo bearings. The swiss were a year old and I put them in from the axle (the wheel hole was really tight so I think that probably damaged it a lot), but the mini logos I put on using a hammer and an old bearing.

You might be on to something if the fit was tight and the bearings didnt sit straight.
I invested in an off-brand bearing press a couple of years ago and its been so worth it. Id highly recommend getting one, especially if it has the part that will pull them out too. Makes you way more willing to clean and rotate your set up

Expand Quote

[close]

#6 or #8 x .5"-5/8" wood screws. I'd recommend the 5/8" if you are using something thicker like a Bones or New Deal rail.
Thanks man

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #436 on: March 11, 2022, 09:42:24 AM »
anyone ever have a situation where one truck needs/wants to be tightened more than the other to be about the same tightness? i have a pair of ventures with a front that felt floppier than normal and i noticed the bushing was shredded so i put some fresh stocks i had laying around (back and front) and the one truck just absolutely wants to be cranked down more, it even turns easier as i'm tightening. is this a pivot cup thing maybe and not bushings??
for what it's worth, i barely tighten from stock and maybe have 1/2 of a thread showing. kind of knew that bushing would be a problem from the start since it never seemed to break in right for some reason

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #437 on: March 11, 2022, 10:02:25 AM »
anyone ever have a situation where one truck needs/wants to be tightened more than the other to be about the same tightness? i have a pair of ventures with a front that felt floppier than normal and i noticed the bushing was shredded so i put some fresh stocks i had laying around (back and front) and the one truck just absolutely wants to be cranked down more, it even turns easier as i'm tightening. is this a pivot cup thing maybe and not bushings??
for what it's worth, i barely tighten from stock and maybe have 1/2 of a thread showing. kind of knew that bushing would be a problem from the start since it never seemed to break in right for some reason
Is your kingpin well in place like it should in the baseplate for both truck?

Is the part of the kingpin exceeding the baseplate the same lenght for both truck?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 10:22:01 AM by Solex »

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #438 on: March 11, 2022, 11:32:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is the part of the kingpin exceeding the baseplate the same lenght for both truck?

oh boy, was hoping it wouldn't come to this lol. without taking them off and looking underneath at that situation, the kp's feel sturdy. when i have a little more time today i'll see if i can measure the kp's and get an idea of that.

longer kp does seem like the obvious answer though and i totally overlooked that, so ty

Solex

« Reply #439 on: March 11, 2022, 02:38:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

oh boy, was hoping it wouldn't come to this lol. without taking them off and looking underneath at that situation, the kp's feel sturdy. when i have a little more time today i'll see if i can measure the kp's and get an idea of that.

longer kp does seem like the obvious answer though and i totally overlooked that, so ty
Happy if I can help.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #440 on: March 11, 2022, 08:17:52 PM »
215’s or nah?

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 177
  • My brother Roy is into music

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #442 on: March 12, 2022, 01:57:01 AM »
Picked up an old Santa Cruz Justin Strubing setup from a thrift find and noticed the top ply wasn't maple. Can anyone help with identifying it?

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Solex

« Reply #443 on: March 12, 2022, 02:24:18 AM »
Looks like a layer of fiber glass?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #444 on: March 12, 2022, 03:04:03 AM »
Picked up an old Santa Cruz Justin Strubing setup from a thrift find and noticed the top ply wasn't maple. Can anyone help with identifying it?

Looks like a layer of fiber glass?

Yes it is the same type of stuff that Folklore and other brands have used as an additional strength layer on top.

Strubing deck would have been from a while ago now too, ten years or more?

He was on Santa Cruz from around 2007 until 2015 I think.

I found this:

https://skateparkoftampa.com/spot/p.aspx?ID=26759

SANTA CRUZ JUSTIN STRUBING STRIP POWERLYTE DECK

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 03:40:15 AM by Woodshop »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #445 on: March 12, 2022, 04:04:11 AM »
Thanks @Woodshop, spot on. I already have a Justin Strubing deck to keep for skatehoarding and the tail is pretty worn, thinking if should set it up and give it a good end of life.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #446 on: March 12, 2022, 04:08:07 AM »
Set it up and skate it. Had one of the Powerlite decks. I liked it very much. Probably has lots of pop still. Would be curious about your feedback how it skates after.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #447 on: March 12, 2022, 04:52:07 AM »
Thanks @Woodshop, spot on. I already have a Justin Strubing deck to keep for skatehoarding and the tail is pretty worn, thinking if should set it up and give it a good end of life.

Set it up and skate it. Had one of the Powerlite decks. I liked it very much. Probably has lots of pop still. Would be curious about your feedback how it skates after.

It has been too long, but you guys could see / recall - was it just the think carbon fibre or whatever layer on top of the seven ply wood, or was / does it look like six layers or anything different?

Folklore had the two options, the normal board with the black layer on top and the lite board with less wood, which was said to be out of the same place, so generally speaking it could have been either.

I should just look it up anyway.

Found this:

PowerLyte's super thin, 8-ply maple veneers and bullet-proof top layer yield the strongest, lightest skateboard decks available. Constructed 90% of wood, it's the other 10% that makes PowerLyte decks incredibly strong and 22% lighter. Compared to conventional wood decks, PowerLytes flip quicker and are 150% stronger.

And then this:

http://www.tankgirl.info/stp/articles/deckTech.html

« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 05:08:26 AM by Woodshop »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #448 on: March 12, 2022, 05:44:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

It has been too long, but you guys could see / recall - was it just the think carbon fibre or whatever layer on top of the seven ply wood, or was / does it look like six layers or anything different?

Folklore had the two options, the normal board with the black layer on top and the lite board with less wood, which was said to be out of the same place, so generally speaking it could have been either.

I should just look it up anyway.

Found this:

PowerLyte's super thin, 8-ply maple veneers and bullet-proof top layer yield the strongest, lightest skateboard decks available. Constructed 90% of wood, it's the other 10% that makes PowerLyte decks incredibly strong and 22% lighter. Compared to conventional wood decks, PowerLytes flip quicker and are 150% stronger.

And then this:

http://www.tankgirl.info/stp/articles/deckTech.html

@tuesday - sounds like a plan

Quite the trip down memory lane, I rode a Darkstar Armor Light deck and stomped a few FS 180s dead center, cracking the top and bottom plys but no the middle reinforced layer.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #449 on: March 12, 2022, 05:16:05 PM »

Quite the trip down memory lane, I rode a Darkstar Armor Light deck and stomped a few FS 180s dead center, cracking the top and bottom plys but no the middle reinforced layer.

Those things were virtually unbreakable.

We had one come back that the guy skated to death and his mates just could not break and we ended up cutting it apart just to look at the insides of it.

The thing is with all these technologies, at some point they stopped doing them, which makes me think either they didn't quite hold up to how they were supposed to work, or the cost involved in production outweighed the performance.

I know one other guy said they made them too good so either had to sell them for a lot more or just stop making them, so maybe that is what happened.

The helium boards didn't last though - one came back after one session in pieces.