Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216562 times)

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #510 on: March 18, 2022, 02:42:06 AM »
What truck height were we riding in the late 90s?

Can’t remember if I had ventures as a kid. But did most people ride lo‘s or highs? I never payed attention to this.

I know I had grind kings, krux, maybe venture.

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #511 on: March 18, 2022, 03:13:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
is there a good tool that can reach mounting bolts on venture lows without taking the entire hangar off
[close]
cant speak on lows but silver tool works fine with venture hi
[close]

I swear by the Spitfire tool, I've broken 3 Silver tools trying to remove stubborn axle nuts, rethreading axles or having the ratchet adjustor switch assembly falling out completely.

Keep it simple, lasts forever. Only downside is the sockets for axle / kingpin nuts are very precise so if you nuts are mushroom-ed out then you're going to need pliers or a wrench. The plastic Unit tool has a bit for allowance for the nut so you could cover a mushroom-ed nut at an angle to remove them.
[close]
the best tool
[close]

for the venture guys (like me) just buy a 3/8" spanner for the hardware and use an elastic band to hold it to your normal tool to keep them together in your bag when you don't need them. its not rocket science.
[close]
Little shifter wrench or diamond bolts come with a little spanner (or at least used to) altho these options do mean you have to turn the Allen key
[close]

Like a goddamn animal

kids these days should have strong enough thumbs to finally be able to turn said allen key with all the social scrolling they do on there phones. ;D 
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #512 on: March 18, 2022, 05:58:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
OK, this has been on my mind quite a bit as of late:

During the era when Eastern Exposure 3 was being filmed, where was everyone in Philly getting big wheels from? The video came out in 1996, and I assume most of the footage was from 1994-1995. I remember it being nearly impossible to find big wheels in catalogs or the local shops until at least mid-1996, and I am guessing that video is what made them popular. I was also a little kid so maybe I am just misremembering, but I feel pretty sure of it.

Was everyone skating deadstock slimeballs or something?
[close]

Th super small wheels took over around Summer of 1991 but bigger wheels started coming back around 1993/94. The tiny wheels fad was brutal and felt like it lasted a lifetime.
[close]

I don’t remember big wheels being even an option, until like 1995.
It’d be funny if the real reason Serge and them were claiming no powerslide hill bombs, was because they were all on old bullet 66s that didn’t slide.
It’s pretty incredible, how much better gear is now. Trucks and wheels specifically.
[close]
Earliest Nicotine Wheels ad I can find with a half-assed search is 1997 is from 1995 but while they definitely had some huge wheels in their catalog later on, they were putting out standard sizing at first, at least according to their ads. Resse Forbes rode for them around the time of EE3 so maybe they were getting big wheels made special by Nicotine or Eastern Urethane?
[close]

I like this theory
[close]
What were vert skaters riding?

During the small wheel era that is all most of them could get their hands on, so from at least one interview, they said "they went from six ft airs to barely two ft airs and had to pump their guts out on every goddamn wall" or something like that.

Then when anything slightly larger came back in they were all back on the bigger wheels, although some still skated wheels that were smaller than average for the tech vert era.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #513 on: March 18, 2022, 06:01:29 AM »
it's not about the strength
it just make grip all wrinkled around the bolts heads
looks ugly

Silver tool doesn't work correctly on Venture ( especially on los)
and it's just an allaround shitty tool (metal used for the bit is way too soft)

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #514 on: March 18, 2022, 06:13:15 AM »
it's not about the strength
it just make grip all wrinkled around the bolts heads
looks ugly

Silver tool doesn't work correctly on Venture ( especially on los)
and it's just an allaround shitty tool (metal used for the bit is way too soft)

I've always poked through and cut the grip back to the size of the hole, not just poked through it before cranking the bolts down like a lot of people do and ive never had a wrinkle or build up of grip using the old allen key and spanner on my ventures. technique can go along way.

i like my board to look clean from the top, I cant deal with fucked up or graphic grip so a load of bunched up grip around the bolt holes would be a straight no-no for me.
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #515 on: March 18, 2022, 06:25:05 AM »
Opinions on shop griptapes? Are they really skating different than mob or jessup ?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #516 on: March 18, 2022, 06:28:51 AM »
yes you're right, cutting the grip is an extra step though
i just poke through back and forth (my own technique consisting of shaping grip inside the holes) and tighten with the tool from the bottom, works like a charm

grip build up around the holes madness here too ahha

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #517 on: March 18, 2022, 06:54:37 AM »
What truck height were we riding in the late 90s?

Can’t remember if I had ventures as a kid. But did most people ride lo‘s or highs? I never payed attention to this.

I know I had grind kings, krux, maybe venture.

Most of the trucks I have from around those times were still about normal height, eg 52 to 53 mm tall with many still carrying the six hole baseplates from Indy, Thunder and Venture.

There were also Grind King, Destructo and quite a few others just coming up in the market too, which if I recall correctly were also about that same height.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #518 on: March 18, 2022, 08:17:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

During the era when Eastern Exposure 3 was being filmed, where was everyone in Philly getting big wheels from? The video came out in 1996, and I assume most of the footage was from 1994-1995. I remember it being nearly impossible to find big wheels in catalogs or the local shops until at least mid-1996, and I am guessing that video is what made them popular. I was also a little kid so maybe I am just misremembering, but I feel pretty sure of it.

[close]

Th super small wheels took over around Summer of 1991 but bigger wheels started coming back around 1993/94. The tiny wheels fad was brutal and felt like it lasted a lifetime.
[close]

It’d be funny if the real reason Serge and them were claiming no powerslide hill bombs, was because they were all on old bullet 66s that didn’t slide.
It’s pretty incredible, how much better gear is now. Trucks and wheels specifically.
[close]
Earliest Nicotine Wheels ad I can find with a half-assed search is 1997 is from 1995 but while they definitely had some huge wheels in their catalog later on, they were putting out standard sizing at first, at least according to their ads. Resse Forbes rode for them around the time of EE3 so maybe they were getting big wheels made special by Nicotine or Eastern Urethane?
[close]

I like this theory
[close]
[close]

During the small wheel era that is all most of them could get their hands on, so from at least one interview, they said "they went from six ft airs to barely two ft airs and had to pump their guts out on every goddamn wall" or something like that.

Then when anything slightly larger came back in they were all back on the bigger wheels, although some still skated wheels that were smaller than average for the tech vert era.

I like the theory that nicotine might have been doing custom shapes. I love the theory that they were rolling with old shit even more. FWIW, when big wheels started showing up, Physics aside, almost all of them were a "classic" shape. However, as per this wild picture of Freddy from a 1996 AWS ad, he is running what look like some big old wheels that look pretty conical to me:

https://warmupzone.files.wordpress.com/2020/06/fredalienposter.png?w=665

So maybe it was old wheels? Someone has to know. Maybe I'll DM Sergei or someone (like a man).

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #519 on: March 18, 2022, 08:23:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I like this theory
[close]
[close]

[close]

I like the theory that nicotine might have been doing custom shapes. I love the theory that they were rolling with old shit even more. FWIW, when big wheels started showing up, Physics aside, almost all of them were a "classic" shape. However, as per this wild picture of Freddy from a 1996 AWS ad, he is running what look like some big old wheels that look pretty conical to me:

So maybe it was old wheels? Someone has to know. Maybe I'll DM Sergei or someone (like a man).

Jesus. That ad. ❤️

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #520 on: March 18, 2022, 08:32:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I like this theory
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Jesus. That ad. ❤️

they designed/tore out this spot fairly recently didn't they?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #521 on: March 18, 2022, 08:51:20 AM »
Why do shoe companies put technology names on the outside of the shoe? It’s not a big deal, but the Tiagos could do without that kind of thing.

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #522 on: March 18, 2022, 10:01:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dumb question : has anyone ever weighted different kind of grip tapes? I'd be really curious to know the difference between Jessup vs Mob for example.
[close]
Just weighed- sheet of Jessup, 9"x34" with backing paper still on, is 116g/4oz.
[close]

I love you took the time to do this, but various backings are used for grip. Unless you unpeel the grip, how do you know for sure?

Comparing brands at the same size could be a way to see differences.

Here are some more weights, all sheets are pre-cut 9x33 with backing.

Jessup Ultra - 109.4g
MOB - 115.4g
Black Magic -107.1g
Jessup Ultra Clear - 119.9g

Fooj

• Rep: 192
« Reply #523 on: March 18, 2022, 10:02:45 AM »
Why do shoe companies put technology names on the outside of the shoe? It’s not a big deal, but the Tiagos could do without that kind of thing.
Tech branding. Makes it easier for new development marketing to resonate and gives reps/floor staff selling points. Very prominent in other gear oriented industries.

I agree tho, shoes in general could use less of it

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #524 on: March 18, 2022, 10:26:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Tech branding. Makes it easier for new development marketing to resonate and gives reps/floor staff selling points. Very prominent in other gear oriented industries.

Counterpoints: tech shoe, from someone that embraces a 90s look (when tech features really took off), like ERS/air/hexalite/gel/torsion, etc.

I prefer the look of a LRAB, but for Tiago?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #525 on: March 18, 2022, 10:46:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Counterpoints: tech shoe, from someone that embraces a 90s look (when tech features really took off), like ERS/air/hexalite/gel/torsion, etc.

I prefer the look of a LRAB, but for Tiago?
I'm 50/50 on it. I dislike when they write the technology name on a part of the shoe that isn't that technology. I think the new ishods say react on the outsole but it's the insole that has the react. There were also a bunch of people who mistakingly thought they had lunarlon insoles but the lunarlon was inside the actual midsole of the shoe and the shoe just had ortholote or something worse for insoles (Prod 567, one shots, lunar janoski etc)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 11:35:51 AM by Mean salto »

manysnakes

« Reply #526 on: March 18, 2022, 10:50:52 AM »
Opinions on shop griptapes? Are they really skating different than mob or jessup ?

There can’t be that many factories making grip tape. I used some Tactics grip and it was perfectly comparable to normal Jessup.

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #527 on: March 18, 2022, 01:06:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dumb question : has anyone ever weighted different kind of grip tapes? I'd be really curious to know the difference between Jessup vs Mob for example.
[close]
Just weighed- sheet of Jessup, 9"x34" with backing paper still on, is 116g/4oz.
[close]

I love you took the time to do this, but various backings are used for grip. Unless you unpeel the grip, how do you know for sure?
[close]

Comparing brands at the same size could be a way to see differences.

Here are some more weights, all sheets are pre-cut 9x33 with backing.

Jessup Ultra - 109.4g
MOB - 115.4g
Black Magic -107.1g
Jessup Ultra Clear - 119.9g
Thanks!

Interesting. So it seems that there shouldn't be any significant weight difference between grip tapes, unless some unexpected backing paper variations.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #528 on: March 18, 2022, 02:13:42 PM »
Favorite vulc shoe? I’ll get all righteous about only skating cupsoles because I’m super old and brittle…and hear I am. With shoes I like to change things up, often. Anyways, any vulc recommendations welcomed. I don’t skate anything higher than knee high

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #529 on: March 18, 2022, 08:41:15 PM »
Favorite vulc shoes (maybe just favorite shoe altogether) is the classic vans era. I've had like fifty pairs but haven't bought a pair since 2015 or something so they might be different now. People always talk about a vulc cup hybrid and I think these are actually the closest (well any vans classic) obviously they are as vulc feeling as can get but the way vans does it your foot sits well inside the sole. Plus the heel/arch has sort of a hard rubber shank so it feel sort of stiff at the back. If you're a tech insole person tho maybe don't bother.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #530 on: March 18, 2022, 09:00:56 PM »
Favorite vulc shoe? I’ll get all righteous about only skating cupsoles because I’m super old and brittle…and hear I am. With shoes I like to change things up, often. Anyways, any vulc recommendations welcomed. I don’t skate anything higher than knee high

Rowans are my favourite vans vulcs

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #531 on: March 18, 2022, 09:36:08 PM »
Thank you both
Skating suede eras now, good, obviously super durable, sweaty, I’m bad with heelflips and these don’t help, kickflips are great.
Haven’t tried Rowan’s yet.
Thanks again

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #532 on: March 18, 2022, 10:20:45 PM »
I mainly skate cupsoles and one of the few vulcs I've made do with in recent times was the New Balance 306, I think it's a pretty big departure from the feeling of Vans.  I'd also consider the new Ishod nike shoe, it's supposed to be a sort of hybrid with a high-quality insole. I haven't tried Blazers but I'm sure I'd dig them as well.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #533 on: March 18, 2022, 10:37:33 PM »
LRAB with footprint insoles.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #534 on: March 18, 2022, 10:43:35 PM »

Kalis Vulc - lots of colorways, materials (suede, leather, canvas) and it's Kalis
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #535 on: March 18, 2022, 10:50:25 PM »
I appreciate all of the replies. Nb makes a quality shoe. LRAB is finally starting to show up in shops again. It’s been forever since I’ve had a blazer, they look good/skate good, sweaty tho, but are maybe the best. The Kalis vulc isn’t my thing, looks wise…but goddamn that Will Marshall kickflip over the cab was soooooo good.

Thanks for all of the ideas.
Rn I’m too hurt that I wrote hear, instead of here. Brutal.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #536 on: March 20, 2022, 05:42:17 PM »
last resort ab are great shoes, i've only skated the canvas vm001 lo but i absolutely loved that pair. when they reach the end, i'm definitely getting another pair.
adidas copa nationale are also pretty nice, though a bit tighter feeling than the lrab
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #537 on: March 20, 2022, 06:22:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

adidas copa nationale are also pretty nice, though a bit tighter feeling than the lrab
and also very much not a vulc.
The emerica wino slip on g6 and the dickson shoe are really good, state's are good.
I used to love the griffin sole from lakai, but i haven't skated the paramount they use now.
also haven't skated the new vans skate line, but pretty sure they get the job done too.

all of these have really good insoles as well, except for the griffin.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #538 on: March 20, 2022, 06:52:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
and also very much not a vulc.
The emerica wino slip on g6 and the dickson shoe are really good, state's are good.
I used to love the griffin sole from lakai, but i haven't skated the paramount they use now.
also haven't skated the new vans skate line, but pretty sure they get the job done too.

all of these have really good insoles as well, except for the griffin.

I got a pair of the dicksons and I couldn’t believe how fuckin heavy they are. They weigh more than my pair of Sk8-his, they’re like bricks
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 12:46:33 PM by BartHarleyJarvis »

milk.razor

• Rep: 11
« Reply #539 on: March 20, 2022, 07:01:19 PM »
Are the new AVE’s considered a cup sole? I’ve worn original busenitz for years but the ave looks kinda similar, thought of trying it out. Don’t know anything about shoes
No fun allowed. Also get your phone out and film this for my insta edit. Also don’t breath too loud. Bitch.