Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216787 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #750 on: April 20, 2022, 08:49:58 AM »
You can tell what type of old guy skater you're dealing with by whether they love AA or &&.

I had this experience at the local park, standing on the mini ramp deck with another guy my age and he was fully padded and riding the && flight deck with the crazy shape....

Meanwhile, I dress like an extra from the movie Kids, so who's a bigger dork really?

manysnakes

« Reply #751 on: April 20, 2022, 10:26:12 AM »
Expand Quote
You can tell what type of old guy skater you're dealing with by whether they love AA or &&.
[close]

I had this experience at the local park, standing on the mini ramp deck with another guy my age and he was fully padded and riding the && flight deck with the crazy shape....

Meanwhile, I dress like an extra from the movie Kids, so who's a bigger dork really?

It’s a dead heat

braksabbath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #752 on: April 20, 2022, 03:05:15 PM »
How much would a new set of wheels with slight wobbles bug you? Enough to not ride them at all? Enough to ride them but only on old bearings and not the nice new ones?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #753 on: April 20, 2022, 04:13:31 PM »
How much would a new set of wheels with slight wobbles bug you? Enough to not ride them at all? Enough to ride them but only on old bearings and not the nice new ones?

Spitfires? I’ve had this a few times lately. Strangely didn’t really hear/feel the wobble, but the wheels get slower.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #754 on: April 21, 2022, 09:20:58 PM »

Anyone had these? Is the insole thinner than the eras, slip-ons etc? The chukka low from 08ish might be my all time fav shoe, but that might also just be nostalgia

LebowskisRug

« Reply #755 on: April 21, 2022, 09:36:54 PM »
That’s a new, thinner Popcush. I tried them on at a Vans store and they felt really flexible. If board feel is what you want that’s the best skate Vans for it.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #756 on: April 22, 2022, 02:23:09 AM »
Which one was the first last supper-themed graphic? Was it The Unbelievers' Scott Bourne-deck?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #757 on: April 22, 2022, 09:32:28 AM »
What makes a setup "tech"? Considering that dudes have gotten tech on early 90's football shapes, 7.5 popsicles, and now the techiest skaters are riding mostly around 8.25 and 52-54 wheels, is there really such a thing anymore?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #758 on: April 22, 2022, 11:26:52 AM »
The boards which people mostly skate are known as the boards people mostly skate…..a tech board which you are referring to is commonly less than 8, 5.2’s 52 and under……

This is one of those rhetoric type questions though right?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #759 on: April 22, 2022, 11:30:15 AM »
No not really more a question of physics and movement.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #760 on: April 22, 2022, 01:23:43 PM »
Hey there, I need some help.
I bought the Fred Gall Guest Board from Into the Wild Skateboards.
It's a 9.735 Deck.
Between the backholes I measured arround 9.1"
Or 232 mm.
Between the nose holes I measured 236 mm what makes 9,29". I used the Google converter.
I measured in the middle between the holes with a tape measure.
I'm really not sure with what truck size I should run this.
I wanna go for OJ Keyframes 56 mm.
Would you go with 159s or 169s ?
It's gonna be more of a cruiser and hill bomber.
I would like to have no wheel overhang or something.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Rattus Localis

« Reply #761 on: April 22, 2022, 07:01:54 PM »
Aftermarket Indy and Thunder bushings... are they really any different from stock?

I have a hard time believing that the aftermarket orange Indy bushings, for example, are any different than what comes stock.

Why would they bother making both?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #762 on: April 22, 2022, 08:29:22 PM »
Yes. I use the aftermarket’s in Indy’s. They’re poured then machined and the color is different. They feel perfect from start to finish no break in or temp change issue and they never crumble or crack.

Thunder I think is just duro/color but they still freeze.

Rattus Localis

« Reply #763 on: April 22, 2022, 09:33:59 PM »
Interesting!

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #764 on: April 23, 2022, 09:02:22 AM »
Anyone know how Guest Board compensation work? Does Evan Smith get a cut of the AH revenue, Natas/TX a cut of the Krooked?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #765 on: April 23, 2022, 10:29:39 AM »
Yes. I use the aftermarket’s in Indy’s. They’re poured then machined and the color is different. They feel perfect from start to finish no break in or temp change issue and they never crumble or crack.

Yup, when I was still skating indy’s I always swapped stock ones to aftermarket, much better quality and rebound.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #766 on: April 23, 2022, 04:11:43 PM »
i was sitting on the couch and for no apparent reason the thought of someone being 'unable' to skate whole sized boards ie 8, 9, 10 and is more comfortable on .xx so 7.75, 8.25, etc. anyone suffer from this or know anyone with preferences along these lines? i know it seems like overkill but i've seen some wild madness on here before

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #767 on: April 23, 2022, 05:38:17 PM »
Anyone know how Guest Board compensation work? Does Evan Smith get a cut of the AH revenue, Natas/TX a cut of the Krooked?

No idea about nowdays, but people used to get board royalties on anything with their name on it, eg $1 a board back in the day, which might seem like not much but when they were selling a lot of boards, it was a significant amount.

Given most of those boards were specific quantities, 300 made, or 500 made or something like that, they might get a single sum payment for that, rather than ongoing royalties.

Banned from the room

« Reply #768 on: April 23, 2022, 05:44:48 PM »
What are some of your Nickname’s bestow onto you by past lovers?

I’ve been called Boner Boy  little bear
Pooh bear almost all are bear references fucko

The first one I ever got was Teddy Bear. I was so young I was shook to do more than cuddling and making out. Suck on some tittys. She was like 4 grades ahead of me or more. I was like 11.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #769 on: April 23, 2022, 06:28:23 PM »
Nth syd bear takes his loving serious ^^  no nicknames & no talking

I should know this but if a tail isn't as steep as you are use to,
would a bigger or smaller wheel offset the mellow tail?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #770 on: April 23, 2022, 09:44:55 PM »

I should know this but if a tail isn't as steep as you are use to,
would a bigger or smaller wheel offset the mellow tail?

A taller board, so bigger wheels and or risers, would mean the tail is further from the ground, which should make it feel a little more like a steeper kick in theory.

In practice any combination of parts could replicate exactly that feel, or make things even more off than the last board, but definitely the bigger wheel should offset the mellow tail.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #771 on: April 23, 2022, 10:34:42 PM »
Thx mate.  That's what I wanted to know.

Such a reliable fella.

manysnakes

« Reply #772 on: April 23, 2022, 10:52:05 PM »
Aftermarket Indy and Thunder bushings... are they really any different from stock?

I have a hard time believing that the aftermarket orange Indy bushings, for example, are any different than what comes stock.

I just assume they make them so you can replace blown out bushings.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #773 on: April 24, 2022, 07:13:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

But why are they making stock 90a ones, that are different from after market 90a ones? Which are supposedly better than stock ones.

manysnakes

« Reply #774 on: April 24, 2022, 07:37:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

But why are they making stock 90a ones, that are different from after market 90a ones? Which are supposedly better than stock ones.

Who says they're better or different? I don't recall ever seeing that in their marketing.

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #775 on: April 24, 2022, 08:14:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Who says they're better or different? I don't recall ever seeing that in their marketing.

I've seen people post on here before that the stock Indy bushings, despite being orange (or any color they come stock), are actually 88a bushings, so that when you buy the replacement orange 90a ones, the difference is noticeable and quite good.

My question: Has anyone re-used their Riptide pivot cups?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #776 on: April 24, 2022, 08:23:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

A lot of people, here's an example right above

Expand Quote

[close]
Yup, when I was still skating indy’s I always swapped stock ones to aftermarket, much better quality and rebound.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #777 on: April 24, 2022, 09:03:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've seen people post on here before that the stock Indy bushings, despite being orange (or any color they come stock), are actually 88a bushings, so that when you buy the replacement orange 90a ones, the difference is noticeable and quite good.

Yes, I've used needle nose pliers to move them between trucks. Just take care not to tear them when removing them.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #778 on: April 24, 2022, 10:44:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yup, they never have. It’s just gear weirdos like us that replace brand new bushings with the same bushing to get a micro effect. I posted elsewhere that I actually used the stock ones recently on accident and couldn’t tell a difference whereas I could in the past. They’re holding up fine as well and in the past they would crumble and blow out. My hypothesis is they did because they were probably similar to the other bushings that come in Ermico trucks like the Ventures that often crumble for people.

I can confirm that the aftermarket reds feel like 96A and suck.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #779 on: April 24, 2022, 11:55:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes, I've used needle nose pliers to move them between trucks. Just take care not to tear them when removing them.
bought a set two years ago and havent replaced them
both cups are cracked/split and its whatever now
doesnt seem to matter
but then again idc if my board turns left or right without me on it

they do feel cushier than stock and mini logo
but im not sure if its due to riptides or anything else at the time
bushings, washers, geometries, wheelbase, etc, etc
all these variables were changing with and without riptides
so maybe i got got
but $15 a pop to not think about it again seems like a favor?
fucking ben degros and his thinly veiled ads
as if anything is louder than shieldless bearings

riptide is lowkey the funniest thing in skateboarding
dont know of a single brick and mortar skateshop that stocks em
but if i was to step foot in a longboard shop....
i cant help but feel like i paid for a wedgie and just realized it

my apologies for recommending them in the past
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo