Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216646 times)

manysnakes

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #840 on: April 27, 2022, 07:20:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why can’t I feeble on ledges or slappy curbs?

My front wheel just doesn’t move when I hit the ledge or curb.

Second question : does skateboarding age people like crazy ? To me skaters look pretty wasted when they hit mid 30s or many even earlier.
[close]

If anything the opposite is true. Keeping active into adulthood demonstrably slows many of the processes of aging. If you stayed a drunken burnout for the entire time, you’re probably fucked, but every talented skater over 30 I know is at least partially interested in diet and fitness, and that interest only seems to increase as you reach your 40s and skating with caring for yourself becomes functionally impossible.
[close]

Yup, 30 y/o here, I eat healthy and workout 5-6 times a week (I know it's frowned upon to workout among young skaters because it's not cool, but w/e). People never believe me when I say I'm 30, they always think I'm below 25.

I'm 41 and frequently mistaken for late-20s, early 30s (if you don't look too close at my wrinkles). I've exercised regularly since I was in my early 20s, ride a bike instead of driving most of the time, don't eat meat, no coffee, little sugar, limited drugs and alcohol - that shit pays off.

Wizard0f0dds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #841 on: April 28, 2022, 06:40:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why can’t I feeble on ledges or slappy curbs?

My front wheel just doesn’t move when I hit the ledge or curb.

Second question : does skateboarding age people like crazy ? To me skaters look pretty wasted when they hit mid 30s or many even earlier.
[close]

If anything the opposite is true. Keeping active into adulthood demonstrably slows many of the processes of aging. If you stayed a drunken burnout for the entire time, you’re probably fucked, but every talented skater over 30 I know is at least partially interested in diet and fitness, and that interest only seems to increase as you reach your 40s and skating with caring for yourself becomes functionally impossible.
[close]

Yup, 30 y/o here, I eat healthy and workout 5-6 times a week (I know it's frowned upon to workout among young skaters because it's not cool, but w/e). People never believe me when I say I'm 30, they always think I'm below 25.
[close]

I'm 41 and frequently mistaken for late-20s, early 30s (if you don't look too close at my wrinkles). I've exercised regularly since I was in my early 20s, ride a bike instead of driving most of the time, don't eat meat, no coffee, little sugar, limited drugs and alcohol - that shit pays off.

Hell yeah, love hearing that. I think it shows in your skating too. More explosive pop and you keep your energy for longer as the session goes. I also try to ride my bike and cruiser when possible. I do drink coffee and eat meat though, but I've been conscious of not going overboard on caffeine, and mostly eat chicken, turkey and salmon.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #842 on: April 28, 2022, 11:27:44 AM »
I’m 50 years old now, but get told I don’t look a day over 49 & a half on the regs.
I’d like to think that’s due to a lifetime of skating.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #843 on: April 28, 2022, 03:05:44 PM »
How can I hold my nosegrinds longer?

I can nosemanual easily, but can’t hold nosegrinds long.
Any advice? What’s the trick to hold them?

And any advice on ledge feebles? I never grind. On rails easily, but I think my front wheel gets stuck as soon as I hit the ledge.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #844 on: April 28, 2022, 06:35:13 PM »
Why do lubed bearings seem to spin slower and shorter than dry bearings?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #845 on: April 28, 2022, 07:41:43 PM »
Lubricants usually help bearings under protracted loads and when heat develops which doesn’t really happen when you spin a bearing by hand. It also prevents wear of the internal components so they spin faster longer.

I’m not sure it matters for skating but in sports where they’re trying to eek out every marginal advantage, like track cycling, they’re always running some sort of thin lube on wheel bearings, wax on chains, and bottom brackets sorta depend but it’s worth a few watts/fractions of a second.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #846 on: April 28, 2022, 08:35:34 PM »
Why do lubed bearings seem to spin slower and shorter than dry bearings?

Lubricants usually help bearings under protracted loads and when heat develops which doesn’t really happen when you spin a bearing by hand. It also prevents wear of the internal components so they spin faster longer.

I’m not sure it matters for skating but in sports where they’re trying to eek out every marginal advantage, like track cycling, they’re always running some sort of thin lube on wheel bearings, wax on chains, and bottom brackets sorta depend but it’s worth a few watts/fractions of a second.

I always thought it was funny that quite a few "pro dudes" and others also in the same situation who skate raw, noisy bearings - no shields, no lube, etc - always had slower setups than most other people I know who ride with shields on and lubed bearings.

Sure when they spin them, they zing - the bearings sound loud and spin for a long time with the board just sitting there, but as said, under load, they don't perform half as well and even very cheap new bearings rolled faster than one board we compared with the same size and brand wheels on the two setups.

That is not to say that all bearings are like that, but it is interesting to see something, then actually ride it and feel it out, which can come out with two totally different experiences.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #847 on: April 28, 2022, 08:42:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Also, what are there all these 32.5 + length boards about? Whose skating those? I guess good for transition? Either way, I have the worse habit of getting comfy on niche shapes and then hating them

/
[close]

I’m skating a Quasi 8.5 x 33

Last 2 shapes were the same Quasi 8.5 at 32.25, but measured through the concave so the deck is about 31.9 long

I wanted the little extra length to see if it works for me. So far I prefer the shorter deck for flip trucks and the longer deck for ollies and grinds. I think I’ll go back to the shorter one after this

If the length is closer to 33” then it’s likely measured through the concaves and not tip to tip
[close]
how long is the 33" Quasi tip to tip?

Just threw a tape on my current 33” and my already skated 32.25”

The 33” is actually 32.25”

and the 32.25” is 31.625”

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #848 on: April 28, 2022, 09:50:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Also, what are there all these 32.5 + length boards about? Whose skating those? I guess good for transition? Either way, I have the worse habit of getting comfy on niche shapes and then hating them

/
[close]

Last 2 shapes were the same Quasi 8.5 at 32.25, but measured through the concave so the deck is about 31.9 long

I wanted the little extra length to see if it works for me. So far I prefer the shorter deck for flip trucks and the longer deck for ollies and grinds. I think I’ll go back to the shorter one after this

If the length is closer to 33” then it’s likely measured through the concaves and not tip to tip
[close]
[close]

how skated are they? I find my deck length shrink over time due to the tail wearing out or tapping it on the ground

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #849 on: April 29, 2022, 02:10:32 AM »
Boards don't shrink that much

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #850 on: April 29, 2022, 03:37:20 AM »
Yooo anyone remember mouse grip tape? I used to geek over it as a grom. Haaaaaa. Good times!

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #851 on: April 29, 2022, 06:09:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

/
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

how skated are they? I find my deck length shrink over time due to the tail wearing out or tapping it on the ground

33” has 2 sessions on it. It’s practically brand new. It’s actually a hair under 32.25 so assume 32.25 brand new

The 32.25” was skated quite a bit when I measured the 31.625, but I think my last measurement on it when it was brand new was 31.9

LebowskisRug

« Reply #852 on: April 29, 2022, 07:30:24 AM »
33” is with the concave. I’m not sure why PS does this. Actually I know why- it is because they believe taking into account the kick length and steepness matters, which maybe it does, but it also makes things more complicated than it needs to be.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #853 on: April 29, 2022, 07:37:12 AM »
33” is with the concave. I’m not sure why PS does this. Actually I know why- it is because they believe taking into account the kick length and steepness matters, which maybe it does, but it also makes things more complicated than it needs to be.

It results in me not buying these boards, cuz the measurement are too much. And I’m a big ps Stan. A dlx board that’s 32.25 is generally too much for me, so this particular board isn’t my bag, most likely, but what has happened several time to me is that I get a board that claims to be an 8”, and it’s more like 7.8”, and incredibly short.
I like their wood, but their consistency…

‘More complicated than it needs to be…’
When the professor is talking about something, say trucks, and how it relates to wb’s, I always feel like getting hustled in 3 card Monty. Instead of making a point, there’s this constant need to shift the conversation, which makes it feel like I’m being tricked. It’s kind of like asking how a wine tastes, and they tell you it comes from an organic winery that practices sustainability, they have a lot of dogs on the property, and the owners niece did the artwork for the label.

bryan

• Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #854 on: April 29, 2022, 08:26:03 AM »
Yeah, I get this.

They're basically trying to say with the right setup, most decks will work. Which isn't always the case.

One time I tried a board from a different woodshop, normal dimensions and the pop angle was the same. But the flat before the kick was 2" different, messed with the pocket which I disliked.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #855 on: April 29, 2022, 08:30:28 AM »
Here is a board. It is longer than some boards and shorter than others. Stand on it. Feel it’s vibes. Visualize your successes and failures. Blame it and praise it.

bryan

• Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #856 on: April 29, 2022, 08:44:37 AM »
Isn't this what we normally do at a local shop? Take down 5 boards, put back the stain colors you hate, stand on each one til it speaks to you?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #857 on: April 29, 2022, 09:05:32 AM »
I speak out loud to it just so all the shop employees can engage in the process with me.

Lately tho I pick like a few shapes I am interested in, stand on them and put my feet in a few trick positions then pick the one I’m feeling the most. I leave the others on the ground for other customers to trip over and I tell the shop employees to stop doing marijuanas and fucking pick up the shit off the ground like they’re getting paid to do. Sometimes I just come in and do this even if I don’t want a deck.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 344
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #858 on: April 29, 2022, 10:54:52 AM »
Isn't this what we normally do at a local shop? Take down 5 boards, put back the stain colors you hate, stand on each one til it speaks to you?

For me it depends on what size board I'm getting, if it's an 8.5" I peruse what they already have on the wall, if I'm looking for something to fit my 5.0 Los I usually ask what they have in the 7.5"-7.75" range and just take what I can get.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #859 on: April 29, 2022, 11:11:28 AM »
Any old man advice for super tired legs quickly when I’m into skating?

I thought aging wouldn’t affect my skating, but now end 30 I have to admit it does.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #860 on: April 29, 2022, 11:44:17 AM »

I thought aging wouldn’t affect my skating, but now end 30 I have to admit it does.

stretching/yoga, stay hydrated, eat a good meal, work your legs out on off days (nothing crazy, just keep limber & strong)
some days you'll just get burnt out faster than others tho, you know how it goes

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #861 on: April 29, 2022, 12:37:25 PM »

A lighter setup actually makes difference. I actually didn't believe it until i switched from thunder titaniums to ace and got exhausted way faster. But that's a huge weight difference, so just getting hollow kingpin trucks instead of standards probably isn't going to change much.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #862 on: April 29, 2022, 12:43:04 PM »
I skate Venture v hollows, so this can’t be it for me unfortunately.

Does stretching really make that much of a difference
?

I started yesterday. Skated today. This one time didn’t help is what I can say now 😄

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #863 on: April 29, 2022, 12:58:23 PM »

?

I started yesterday. Skated today. This one time didn’t help is what I can say now 😄

Stick with the stretching, at the very least it'll keep things from getting worse. Make sure you are wearing shoes that work for your feet (and the rest of your body), and drink lots of water. If you smoke cigs, quit...few things are worse for your body.

Also, FWIW, Ventures have a pretty heavy pop feel and can be kind of a workout to get off the ground, even in their lighter iterations. You would be surprised how much easier some heavier trucks (Ace specifically) are to get off the ground, though the turn is very different. I realize I am in direct contradiction to another advice post, but it is different for everyone and I find lighter pop feel matters way more than lighter weight.

I'll be 40 in two months and I still skate every day.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #864 on: April 29, 2022, 01:42:42 PM »
Expand Quote

?

[close]

Stick with the stretching, at the very least it'll keep things from getting worse. Make sure you are wearing shoes that work for your feet (and the rest of your body), and drink lots of water. If you smoke cigs, quit...few things are worse for your body.

Also, FWIW, Ventures have a pretty heavy pop feel and can be kind of a workout to get off the ground, even in their lighter iterations. You would be surprised how much easier some heavier trucks (Ace specifically) are to get off the ground, though the turn is very different. I realize I am in direct contradiction to another advice post, but it is different for everyone and I find lighter pop feel matters way more than lighter weight.

I'll be 40 in two months and I still skate every day.

I have to say the thunders felt strange in the beginning to me. Slowly I’m really getting used to them.

The pop and manuals felt really weird to me.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #865 on: May 01, 2022, 10:26:41 AM »
How come even though they are pretty much the opposite of each other, venture as well as ace are something of a manual cheat code?
While the pop feel and everything else may feel like shit until you get used to it, the manuals are on point when switching to these trucks.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #866 on: May 01, 2022, 10:38:17 AM »
Annoying, nerd here.

My friend who is an athletic trainer says to do dynamic stretches and foam roller before skating. After skating do static stretches and foam roller. Static stretching before can lead to injury/strain.

Soon to be 34 and just got on with dynamic leg stretches. I find it helps, and begins the warm up process

PS to @Mantracker appreciate you measuring those boards out!! Once I realized I never measured my  32.25 long wknd I used and it was around 32-31.9
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 05:39:25 PM by TurdyBird »
The chillest1

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #867 on: May 01, 2022, 11:31:29 AM »

Stretches led by a guy with cute dog sidekick

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #868 on: May 01, 2022, 11:56:37 AM »
I speak out loud to it just so all the shop employees can engage in the process with me.

Lately tho I pick like a few shapes I am interested in, stand on them and put my feet in a few trick positions then pick the one I’m feeling the most. I leave the others on the ground for other customers to trip over and I tell the shop employees to stop doing marijuanas and fucking pick up the shit off the ground like they’re getting paid to do. Sometimes I just come in and do this even if I don’t want a deck.
STOP DOING MARIJUANAS —- fucking LOL!

caked

• Rep: -24
« Reply #869 on: May 02, 2022, 08:23:51 AM »

Stretches led by a guy with cute dog sidekick

thank you for sharing this! I've been actively trying to do stretches for my lower back more, since I sit in my home office for work all day. Since I've started doing some stretches/poses, I've noticed improvement and less back pain after skating. I definitely needed a regimen that was detailed but easy to do in a short amount of time - exactly this video! The adorable dog is just the cherry on top.