Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216702 times)

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 192
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1110 on: June 03, 2022, 07:03:27 AM »
Any downside to wheel wells? Like the kicks losing pop faster, or anything like that. Picked up a polar this sale weekend and probably going to set it up on my main ride pretty soon.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1111 on: June 03, 2022, 07:06:32 AM »
Any downside to wheel wells? Like the kicks losing pop faster, or anything like that. Picked up a polar this sale weekend and probably going to set it up on my main ride pretty soon.

I asked the same question in the polar shapes thread and the feedback was pretty much all neutral/positive. No stress cracks or board weakness, just less likely to wheelbite.

I think a bunch of us grabbed ww polar boards from 303 so we’re all going to find out

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1112 on: June 03, 2022, 07:08:35 AM »

Only one I noticed is that crooks feel weird if the wells are really deep. Deck with diy wells held up great

Banned from the room

« Reply #1113 on: June 03, 2022, 09:22:40 AM »
How do I become an actor? Should I get a manager or an agent?

How does one even find out where to try out for roles?

I know I’m always going to be a bad guy or a homeless person so I can deal with it.

I can sing I’m a pretty good dancer. I can switch flip sometimes so that’s kinda cool.

I can cry on command. Get shaking and foaming at the mouth angry first try.

I can play 9 instruments. I can paint a mural.

I can’t swim tho.

What would you do pal? I wanna work in pictures

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #1114 on: June 03, 2022, 09:49:06 AM »

I know I’m always going to be a bad guy or a homeless person so I can deal with it.

I can sing I’m a pretty good dancer. I can switch flip sometimes so that’s kinda cool.

I can’t swim tho.

Step 1 would probably involve signing up for acting lessons. From there it's probably linked to the school to get work as an extra and auditions etc. I don't think open auditions for randoms happen all that often. You have a distinctive look which could work in your advantage. My guess is the switch flip won't come into play (pun intended)

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #1115 on: June 03, 2022, 10:02:46 AM »
Getting a new skate Park near me, but the ground is kind of ruff.

Should I get bigger softer wheels? How big and how soft would you go if you still want to be able to nose and tail slide ?

Material of the obstacles is this dark stuff:

https://m.augsburger-allgemeine.de/schwabmuenchen/Lagerlechfeld-Was-Jugendliche-vom-neuen-Skatepark-in-Lagerlechfeld-halten-id58296051.html

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1116 on: June 03, 2022, 11:34:09 AM »

Not a one for me, especially if you ride loose and or thunders. Wish more made them and polar made a twin with them.

Banned from the room

« Reply #1117 on: June 03, 2022, 03:18:07 PM »
Expand Quote

I can’t swim tho.

[close]
Step 1 would probably involve signing up for acting lessons. From there it's probably linked to the school to get work as an extra and auditions etc. I don't think open auditions for randoms happen all that often. You have a distinctive look which could work in your advantage. My guess is the switch flip won't come into play (pun intended)

thank you

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #1118 on: June 03, 2022, 04:15:46 PM »

Should I get bigger softer wheels? How big and how soft would you go if you still want to be able to nose and tail slide ?

https://m.augsburger-allgemeine.de/schwabmuenchen/Lagerlechfeld-Was-Jugendliche-vom-neuen-Skatepark-in-Lagerlechfeld-halten-id58296051.html

I guess it depends on how rough the ground is exactly. I'm fine on 54mm OG Classics in 99a for rough canadian asphalt and my local DIY which is really crusty personally. I guess you could go 97a conical fulls if it's overly crusty though.

jimgrude

• Rep: 69
« Reply #1119 on: June 03, 2022, 05:25:02 PM »

I wouldn't go much softer, as that will mess up the feel just as much as the rough ground. Get a slightly bigger wheel with a wider contact patch.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 177
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #1120 on: June 03, 2022, 06:39:58 PM »

I wouldn't change my wheels for this

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1121 on: June 03, 2022, 07:07:53 PM »
Anyone ever notice Ben Degros constantly contradicts himself? Most recently in the woodshop video he calls out Gifted Hater's preference for longer boards. GH seems to ride Sci Fi's, which in 8.5 are the same length that Ben himself says he's been riding in another video. He praises Indy's turning then says they're too clunky and Thunders feel more nimble. Like most of us with the madness he simply prefers what he isn't currently on.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1122 on: June 03, 2022, 07:09:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just moved to an area with lots of parks and unless you're dominating large transition I wouldn't worry about it. I rode 99A F4 before moving and they have felt great on the slippery parks.

klobynrenn

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1123 on: June 04, 2022, 05:07:57 AM »
Does anybody know what shoes these are? Screenshot from that “it’s all good” edit by Nicolas Marti, around the 6min10sec mark. Not sure who the skater wearing em is. They look almost exactly how I would imagine a Last Resort Cupsole Hi would look but I doubt that’s what they are

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1124 on: June 04, 2022, 05:54:13 AM »
Does anybody know what shoes these are? Screenshot from that “it’s all good” edit by Nicolas Marti, around the 6min10sec mark. Not sure who the skater wearing em is. They look almost exactly how I would imagine a Last Resort Cupsole Hi would look but I doubt that’s what they are

Maybe Jordan 2s

klobynrenn

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1125 on: June 04, 2022, 05:56:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Maybe Jordan 2s

Oh yeah looks like you’re right, cheers!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #1126 on: June 04, 2022, 06:18:20 AM »
How on earth do you lock into crooks on a ledge. I can slappy them but I have no idea how to pop and lock into those.

Also how do you 5-0, I can get onto the ledge on the tail but inevitably lean forward after a few inches and continue 50/50.

Thanks in advance.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1127 on: June 04, 2022, 07:06:05 AM »
What are some favorite 8.5” shapes for people on thunders?

Preferably with a tail longer than 6.5 and a wheelbase 14”-14.3

I recently stepped up from a quasi proto 8.25 (tapered to 8” on the back) and the 8.5 feels really cozy and I wanna grab a couple more

Thanks pals!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1128 on: June 04, 2022, 07:35:55 AM »
Any of the DLX 8.5x14.25x31.8 like the Blue Eagle/Gonz sweatpants shape, DLX 8.5 Full SE, FA/Hockey 8.5 come to mind

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #1129 on: June 04, 2022, 10:41:34 AM »
How on earth do you lock into crooks on a ledge. I can slappy them but I have no idea how to pop and lock into those.

Also how do you 5-0, I can get onto the ledge on the tail but inevitably lean forward after a few inches and continue 50/50.

Thanks in advance.

My recommendation for crook (assuming It's BS) on a ledge is focus on your pop and weight of your front foot. Most have issue with not popping high enough or putting enough pressure.

Be approaching the ledge at a 15 degree angle (almost straight on but not quite) and once you're close enough, pop straight up and let it hang for milliseconds longer than you think and then push all your weight of your front foot on to the nose at a slight angle to lock the front truck in. Aim to have your heel side wheel on your front truck to be on top of the ledge so you can pinch the hangar adjacent to it. Once you lock in, lean back a bit but leave the pressure on your front foot. It's important to put more pressure on your heel of your front foot rather than your toes.

For 5-0, are you leaning back enough? And are you going fast enough to maintain the balance? I find that I need more speed than I want to have to do 5-0s but it works when I suck it up and go faster while leaning back a little bit.

Hope that helps!

Here's a clip where I do a BS Crook to fakie on a box. You can see how I approach and where my weight is to grind it. If ya wanna check it out:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CVeYgALpOf4/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Super Champion Fun Zone

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1130 on: June 04, 2022, 11:32:12 AM »
Any of the DLX 8.5x14.25x31.8 like the Blue Eagle/Gonz sweatpants shape, DLX 8.5 Full SE, FA/Hockey 8.5 come to mind
I’ve been eyeing up the blue eagle, it’s probably my time. I’m sure these are all great as dlx on bbs is always a good time. Thanks for the reply
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 03:32:59 PM by theloniousmonk »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #1131 on: June 04, 2022, 12:08:54 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance.
[close]

My recommendation for crook (assuming It's BS) on a ledge is focus on your pop and weight of your front foot. Most have issue with not popping high enough or putting enough pressure.

Be approaching the ledge at a 15 degree angle (almost straight on but not quite) and once you're close enough, pop straight up and let it hang for milliseconds longer than you think and then push all your weight of your front foot on to the nose at a slight angle to lock the front truck in. Aim to have your heel side wheel on your front truck to be on top of the ledge so you can pinch the hangar adjacent to it. Once you lock in, lean back a bit but leave the pressure on your front foot. It's important to put more pressure on your heel of your front foot rather than your toes.

For 5-0, are you leaning back enough? And are you going fast enough to maintain the balance? I find that I need more speed than I want to have to do 5-0s but it works when I suck it up and go faster while leaning back a little bit.

Hope that helps!

Here's a clip where I do a BS Crook to fakie on a box. You can see how I approach and where my weight is to grind it. If ya wanna check it out:

Thanks bruh, nice clip!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1132 on: June 04, 2022, 01:28:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance.
[close]

Hope that helps!

[close]

Thanks bruh, nice clip!
I think people hate this tip but if darkpools technique isn't working for you the other way that I found worked is if you have a ledge with ends on it Ollie from before the ledge starts in line with the edge. I feel like this reduces the resistance to the grind and you can at least get a feeling for doing the crooked or 5-0 grind so when you move on to doing them "properly" from side on you at least are used to balancing while grinding. Also with the 5-0 dropping to 5050 you are allowed to over compensate and drop to tail drag while you're learning. sometimes certain spots you might even need to taildrag a 5-0 so once again it's worth being used to the feeling of the grind.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #1133 on: June 04, 2022, 03:12:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance.
[close]

Hope that helps!

[close]

Thanks bruh, nice clip!

No problem! Best of luck on dialing these tricks in! I practice my tricks stationary/really slow on curbs before taking them anywhere with speed.  That might help you to find your footing with crook.

Thanks!!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #1134 on: June 04, 2022, 06:48:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I asked the same question in the polar shapes thread and the feedback was pretty much all neutral/positive. No stress cracks or board weakness, just less likely to wheelbite.

I think a bunch of us grabbed ww polar boards from 303 so we’re all going to find out

Thanks for the input! Looking forward to trying them out. The WB is definitely 14.25 instead of the stated 14.125 though ...-_-

Banned from the room

« Reply #1135 on: June 04, 2022, 06:51:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I ride 58s at the park usually so me neither.

Maybe they should get some 97s. I haven’t really tried them so idk.

Big is the way at this park if you want lines with lower effort.

europa1991

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1136 on: June 04, 2022, 07:40:27 PM »

I can’t swim tho.

If you’re looking for gigs sign up for mandy.com or check your states (or nearby large city’s) film office for listings. Doing student films in a local university is a good way to build up a demo reel. There’s a lot you can do in your area, unless you live in Alaska or some shit lol, that won’t require you to pack up and move to LA or NY since you’re just starting out. Don’t worry about agents or managers yet- just start small and focus on getting a solid resume with a good bit of variety… then comes the fun in joining SAG lol best of luck to you. Some great advice I heard once is that “acting is the humiliating… once you accept that, you can do anything” Kill the ego and lose yourself etc

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1137 on: June 04, 2022, 08:19:12 PM »
Should someone start a madness support thread?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1138 on: June 04, 2022, 08:23:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance.
[close]

Hope that helps!

[close]

Thanks bruh, nice clip!

Old tip someone told me for crooks that work like a champ: put your popping foot in the heel side pocket and front foot like you're about to do a FS 180. Look at the ledge and line your front shoulder up with where you want to end up. When you pop your board will rotate FS to line up with your shoulder and your truck and body will be at a good starting angle. I ride basically parallel to the ledge and at the last second arc maybe 10 degrees at most.

Once you're locked lean back and focus on keeping your back foot in contact with the board. When you pop out momentarily lighten the nose and lift the front foot and the board will level out perfectly.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1139 on: June 04, 2022, 11:31:41 PM »
Should someone start a madness support thread?

Why start a thread for a condition that has no cure?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m