Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216577 times)

minilogoflow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1170 on: June 07, 2022, 09:41:23 AM »
I saw Indy released the forged hollow mids recently but does anyone know if they're going to sell the forged mid plate separately like they do with the standard mid plate? 

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1171 on: June 07, 2022, 09:58:59 AM »
I saw Indy released the forged hollow mids recently but does anyone know if they're going to sell the forged mid plate separately like they do with the standard mid plate?

Didn't see it in catalogs up to Spring 23

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1172 on: June 07, 2022, 10:28:11 AM »
The 8.475 is a Baker and super similar to the DLX 8.4 and 8.5 Eagle as well as the Baker 8.25 so I thought it could open up some possibilities. Generally speaking I love how predictable and techy it is, flips feel as if they require way less effort, but overall 14.38-14.5 feels a bit chiller at 6 foot 3. I was swayed by Reynolds discussing his sizing down.

IpathCats

« Reply #1173 on: June 07, 2022, 12:17:28 PM »
how does the fit of the new skate SK8-his compare to the skate half cabs? I asked a little while back but it got buried. I'm not talking about sizing, as much as im concerned about the toe box and heel lock. Sk8-his dont really lock my heels in well, but the toe box is adequate for my foot. if the skate half cabs lock your heels in better and maybe have a slightly wider toe box, im sold. no skate shops near me to try on in person.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #1174 on: June 07, 2022, 12:55:38 PM »
The 8.475 is a Baker and super similar to the DLX 8.4 and 8.5 Eagle as well as the Baker 8.25 so I thought it could open up some possibilities. Generally speaking I love how predictable and techy it is, flips feel as if they require way less effort, but overall 14.38-14.5 feels a bit chiller at 6 foot 3. I was swayed by Reynolds discussing his sizing down.

Is the 8.475 still the b16 shape? It’s an extremely good looking skateboard. Fair but of taper I think. Real versatile, darn near everyone on baker was repping that shape, with many different truck sizes being used. I’ve skated one with Indy 159s, and thunder 147s…I really like the way that deck looks.
I can’t do any of the tricks you were talking about, and would be really happy with a backtail, so whatever works for that, keep doing it.
Where did Reynolds discuss the sizing down? What’s he on now? Proportionally he skates one of the smallest setups in pro skating rn.

I’ve got way too many setups. Skated 3 last night, all with thunders (147, 148, 149). I’m not getting any better. More setups isn’t helping. Next one is gonna be the one tho. I can feel it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1175 on: June 07, 2022, 01:09:09 PM »
how does the fit of the new skate SK8-his compare to the skate half cabs? I asked a little while back but it got buried. I'm not talking about sizing, as much as im concerned about the toe box and heel lock. Sk8-his dont really lock my heels in well, but the toe box is adequate for my foot. if the skate half cabs lock your heels in better and maybe have a slightly wider toe box, im sold. no skate shops near me to try on in person.

Hey sorry about that. Honestly I find that the toe box is a bit narrower but the mid foot doesn't hug the top of my foot quite as well. Maybe the Half Cabs hold my foot in slightly better, but it's really close and comes down to lacing. With the Half Cabs I don't lace the last lace hole and kinda just tighten the top 2 when I put em on. They feel fairly strapped, but not cinched cuz of the padded tongue. The Sk8 Hi are sorta like my Rowans, which have a thin tongue and I don't strap em as tight because that's not comfortable and if I get the ankle too tight I cannot flick. I'd say go try them on or order from somewhere that allows returns because they seem polarizing even tho no one I know in the real world has any problems with the updates.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #1176 on: June 07, 2022, 01:12:59 PM »
What are y'all with multiple setups doing with them? I can't imagine needing more than one honestly as my abilities are directly tied to predicting how I do something and then doing it a ton of times.

I have 2 of the exact same set ups, just one with wider wheels and deck rails.

New boards go on to set-up #1, no rails and with classics. I pull it out for ledges or whatever street park that needs a crispy deck.

Once it gets soggy, that deck goes on to set-up #2 with rails and radials, which I use to skate everything else.

This basically helps me really use every deck down to the last bit of life, but gives me the option to use something newer depending on what I’m skating.

Other than that I have a bigger set up with 56s for just transition

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #1177 on: June 07, 2022, 01:24:02 PM »
I just got a pair of the skate half cabs yesterday. I wore them most of the day and a while today. They don’t feel too narrow, but most def more narrow than my last pair of halfs, which weren’t the pros. I don’t feel like the toe box is huge…it feels just right. Heel feels locked in and ready to party. I can’t wait to skate them.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1178 on: June 07, 2022, 06:21:53 PM »
Is it fine to store my boards in my trunk all summer? I live in AR so it gets pretty damn toasty. Will it warp the decks or fuck with the bushings/wheels?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1179 on: June 07, 2022, 06:28:37 PM »
Is it fine to store my boards in my trunk all summer? I live in AR so it gets pretty damn toasty. Will it warp the decks or fuck with the bushings/wheels?

I live in Tulsa so we probably have close to the same crazy weather patterns. I do this year round. Not saying it’s smart but I’ve not noticed anything warping before. Someone on here smarter than me probably has a better answer but yeah I’ve not noticed anything. I do typically chip boards sometimes so that may be part of it. Idk.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1180 on: June 07, 2022, 09:45:38 PM »
Indys with forged baseplates are 53.5mm high with a WB of +3.15~ right? Same WB as the tensor ATGs and the new royals? From what I found the forged indys have a slightly wider WB than regular indys but I found conflicting info when I searched around.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1181 on: June 07, 2022, 11:34:20 PM »
Indys with forged baseplates are 53.5mm high with a WB of +3.15~ right? Same WB as the tensor ATGs and the new royals? From what I found the forged indys have a slightly wider WB than regular indys but I found conflicting info when I searched around.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0

I usually come back to this thread for reference.

From my last measurement Royals are +3.15", similar to a Thunder Team (Cast baseplate) and Indy Hollow Forged
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1182 on: June 08, 2022, 12:03:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0

I usually come back to this thread for reference.

From my last measurement Royals are +3.15", similar to a Thunder Team (Cast baseplate) and Indy Hollow Forged

Perfect! Thanks for the info :)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1183 on: June 08, 2022, 06:56:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I live in Tulsa so we probably have close to the same crazy weather patterns. I do this year round. Not saying it’s smart but I’ve not noticed anything warping before. Someone on here smarter than me probably has a better answer but yeah I’ve not noticed anything. I do typically chip boards sometimes so that may be part of it. Idk.

Theoretically if the wood is cured right you should be fine. Warping comes from moisture content in the wood evaporating but most of the Maple is kiln dried at much higher temps. It won't melt the glue.

It can soften your bushings though. I notice this now even keeping my board in my garage I can step on it and they feel pretty gnarly for like 15-20min as they get to normal temps.

I actually tested this out: I put my board on a piece of plywood and clamped it. I then took a known calibrated 45lb weight and put it on the wheel and measured how close to the deck it got. I skated for an hour in 72F and came back again and it was about half the movement.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 07:05:35 AM by LebowskisRug »

Paperclip20

• Rep: 138
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1184 on: June 08, 2022, 07:11:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know keeping boards in my trunk had been bad for me but I live in a more humid area than Arizona. Not warping specifically but my boards felt "softer".

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1185 on: June 08, 2022, 07:51:36 AM »

All good answers so far, but here is a story from my experience too.

I had one guy I know from the local skatepark who had a sporty hatch looking vehicle, never covered his boards in the back, always complained that his boards kept getting stress cracks down the length and quite a few even had delamination issues, even though he never skated that hard or broke a board skating.  Others had told him not to leave his boards in the car like that, but he didn't want to listen and I refused to sell him any more decks with him coming back to complain about the wood.

Another half a dozen assorted brands from other shops all had the same issue.  Then when he crashed his fancy car and got a van, his next new board magically had no issues, along with others from then on.  It still took a lot of convincing for him to understand direct light and significant heat would always cause the board to cook in his car, but quite simply putting it in a cardboard board box or even just putting something insulating it from the heat over the board would help a whole lot in stopping those issues.

As for any other things, they all are minimal in comparison to that issue, but I always recommend anyone who is going to leave anything in their car to put it in a closed box, which is pretty good insulation and helps keep boards, decks and any other product safe, as well as out of sight of possible theft from someone seeing a skateboard in a locked car and smashing a window - yes that has happened to others more than a few times over the years too.

If you don't have any board boxes, next time you order something, or even drop in to the local shop and buy something, just ask them for a board box as most places will have quite a few headed for the bin that can be reused for a safe car board storage box.

I have almost permanently kept boards in my car for the last twenty something years, including having the car out in full sun day in, day out for a lot of that and I never really had any issues with any of my boards, spare decks or anything else.  Everything is in cardboard boxes in both the boot and interior, with a thick dark material over the lot on the back seat which has definitely helped.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1186 on: June 08, 2022, 11:34:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All good answers so far, but here is a story from my experience too.

I had one guy I know from the local skatepark who had a sporty hatch looking vehicle, never covered his boards in the back, always complained that his boards kept getting stress cracks down the length and quite a few even had delamination issues, even though he never skated that hard or broke a board skating.  Others had told him not to leave his boards in the car like that, but he didn't want to listen and I refused to sell him any more decks with him coming back to complain about the wood.

Another half a dozen assorted brands from other shops all had the same issue.  Then when he crashed his fancy car and got a van, his next new board magically had no issues, along with others from then on.  It still took a lot of convincing for him to understand direct light and significant heat would always cause the board to cook in his car, but quite simply putting it in a cardboard board box or even just putting something insulating it from the heat over the board would help a whole lot in stopping those issues.

As for any other things, they all are minimal in comparison to that issue, but I always recommend anyone who is going to leave anything in their car to put it in a closed box, which is pretty good insulation and helps keep boards, decks and any other product safe, as well as out of sight of possible theft from someone seeing a skateboard in a locked car and smashing a window - yes that has happened to others more than a few times over the years too.

If you don't have any board boxes, next time you order something, or even drop in to the local shop and buy something, just ask them for a board box as most places will have quite a few headed for the bin that can be reused for a safe car board storage box.

I have almost permanently kept boards in my car for the last twenty something years, including having the car out in full sun day in, day out for a lot of that and I never really had any issues with any of my boards, spare decks or anything else.  Everything is in cardboard boxes in both the boot and interior, with a thick dark material over the lot on the back seat which has definitely helped.

Thanks for the insight. I definitely have a cardboard box I can use, and I'll throw some silica packets in there as well. What about the wheels though? Am I going to temporarily have softer wheels until they cool off?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1187 on: June 08, 2022, 12:10:40 PM »
What are y'all with multiple setups doing with them? I can't imagine needing more than one honestly as my abilities are directly tied to predicting how I do something and then doing it a ton of times.

With that said right now I have both my Baker 8.475 and 8.38 setup in an attempt to find the ultimate and it's not proving helpful. The only trick I can't do well on the 8.38 is fakie front nose and to a lesser extent back tails, but I can skate it faster and loft it higher. The 8.475 is better at those tricks, but less stable for 180s.

I have three very different setups. My main setup.
One setup for lazy days and not so much flipping.
One rain/cruiser board which I need often when it rains.
I need to skate to stay mentally sane and happy.
IG: @flowterspace

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1188 on: June 08, 2022, 12:21:31 PM »
I have a couple cruisers that I don’t skate much but I’m glad I have them, it’s fun taking them out.  When I have more than one day to day’r….it’s usually an experiment and soon enough I take it apart or sell it.  I’ve slimmed out my quiver to five set ups and I don’t think it’s wasteful….nor overly necessary….

While we’re on this though…..I mean how many t-shirts do we ACTUALLY need?

IpathCats

« Reply #1189 on: June 08, 2022, 12:46:09 PM »
Expand Quote

With that said right now I have both my Baker 8.475 and 8.38 setup in an attempt to find the ultimate and it's not proving helpful. The only trick I can't do well on the 8.38 is fakie front nose and to a lesser extent back tails, but I can skate it faster and loft it higher. The 8.475 is better at those tricks, but less stable for 180s.
[close]

I have three very different setups. My main setup.
One setup for lazy days and not so much flipping.
One rain/cruiser board which I need often when it rains.
I need to skate to stay mentally sane and happy.

Big fax

Schinken

• Rep: 69
« Reply #1190 on: June 08, 2022, 10:53:27 PM »
Does anyone know about brands/shapes which concaves are "big wheel friendly"?

Most of the decks concaves I've ridden/seen flatten out over the wheels, whereas e.g Powell decks still have the full concave over the wheels. I get significantly less wheelbite or can ride bigger wheels with Powell decks.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1191 on: June 09, 2022, 03:36:03 AM »

Thanks for the insight. I definitely have a cardboard box I can use, and I'll throw some silica packets in there as well. What about the wheels though? Am I going to temporarily have softer wheels until they cool off?

Never really noticed any other differences, but even when the car was hot to get into, the boards were not overly warm and the trucks were still cool to touch, so the cardboard worked really well.

IpathCats

« Reply #1192 on: June 09, 2022, 06:20:08 AM »

Most of the decks concaves I've ridden/seen flatten out over the wheels, whereas e.g Powell decks still have the full concave over the wheels. I get significantly less wheelbite or can ride bigger wheels with Powell decks.

Polar and Madness are the only brands that come to mind that are doing wheel wells these days, and maybe Scram?

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
« Reply #1193 on: June 09, 2022, 06:51:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Polar and Madness are the only brands that come to mind that are doing wheel wells these days, and maybe Scram?
Heroin's last drop had some wheel well offerings too.

Get hungry on it!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1194 on: June 09, 2022, 03:56:28 PM »

My first question is what is on your setup in terms of trucks, wheels, risers (guessing minimal to none) and how loose you ride your trucks too - sizes of those parts?

Next is what size / width board would you usually ride?

Wider boards with mellow concave are going to have a lot more issues, especially almost flat type boards, as would very narrow boards, but it also depends on whether the wheelbase is longer or shorter on certain molds, eg a shorter mold and longer wheelbase and the wheelbite marks are almost at the ends of the main body (but more into the flatter area where the kicks start) but shorter wheelbase with more fingers of flat often means that the wheelbite if any will be right into the full concave area, so way less likely to touch.

Wheel wells will definitely offset any issues by up to a quarter inch, as per testing and cutting wheel wells into various boards I have, as per post below.

Going back to the setup though, looser / lower trucks are always going to have more issues with wheelbite no matter what deck you have.  Some people will use risers to get away from this, but others flatly refuse - their personal choice - so as much as I would say chronic wheelbite issues can be offset by even minimal risers, that is up to you.

This was unrelated but just something I did the other day, which can definitely help in this situation.  Cutting wheel wells into any deck is not that hard, but it is best to practice on an older board first, before just going hard at it on a new board and making a mess of it.  This is by no means a "professional job" and just something I was having a bit of fun with.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #1195 on: June 09, 2022, 08:42:59 PM »

it gets even better when ur 40 and beyond.. its like 1 new setup for every month in a year..

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #1196 on: June 10, 2022, 08:19:28 AM »
Did the BA.KU. guys ever do a trip to Baku?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 08:31:25 AM by Síota »

caked

• Rep: -24
« Reply #1197 on: June 10, 2022, 08:29:04 AM »
pretty niche question but here goes...do the Adidas Puigs fit/skate similarly to the Copa Nationales? I love skating the Copas after they've broken in, and I enjoy the look of the Puigs. very curious.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1198 on: June 10, 2022, 09:11:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My first question is what is on your setup in terms of trucks, wheels, risers (guessing minimal to none) and how loose you ride your trucks too - sizes of those parts?

Next is what size / width board would you usually ride?

Wider boards with mellow concave are going to have a lot more issues, especially almost flat type boards, as would very narrow boards, but it also depends on whether the wheelbase is longer or shorter on certain molds, eg a shorter mold and longer wheelbase and the wheelbite marks are almost at the ends of the main body (but more into the flatter area where the kicks start) but shorter wheelbase with more fingers of flat often means that the wheelbite if any will be right into the full concave area, so way less likely to touch.

Wheel wells will definitely offset any issues by up to a quarter inch, as per testing and cutting wheel wells into various boards I have, as per post below.

Going back to the setup though, looser / lower trucks are always going to have more issues with wheelbite no matter what deck you have.  Some people will use risers to get away from this, but others flatly refuse - their personal choice - so as much as I would say chronic wheelbite issues can be offset by even minimal risers, that is up to you.

This was unrelated but just something I did the other day, which can definitely help in this situation.  Cutting wheel wells into any deck is not that hard, but it is best to practice on an older board first, before just going hard at it on a new board and making a mess of it.  This is by no means a "professional job" and just something I was having a bit of fun with.

Is that a blue meanie? Looks awesome with the wheel wells.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #1199 on: June 10, 2022, 11:56:52 AM »
Anyone ever have their board go soggy after flying? I checked my board for about a 5 hour flight and when I got there it was total mush the next day…
Not that it matters but it is a Busenitz. Was nice and snappy before.