Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216542 times)

El Freegano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 219
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1260 on: June 18, 2022, 04:05:13 AM »
Anyone else feel that its way easier to do/land flip tricks on low trucks?

At first I used to skate taller trucks, and really struggled with flip tricks. Then, the peak of my flip trick ability came once I switched to Venture Lows. It was sort of an epiphany. Then I started skating Indy Standards Highs I basically stopped being able to do as many flip tricks again.

I don't plan on switching back to lows (I love skating Aces with 56mm wheels too much), but I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience?
The low trucks definitely help me for the flip tricks, and if i want to go tech on a high 55 mm truck i need mellow kicks and kind of small wheels. Now i mostly use my high (film) trucks for a cruiser and do enjoy the mid height of the new royals for all around skating. This year's black friday might be a good time to get a new pair of low trucks, but still haven't decided if i should continue the game on the good old venture lows or to try thunder 147 (coz have i never had a pair of thunder before).

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #1261 on: June 18, 2022, 04:30:30 AM »
If you want the real flip trick "hack" go low trucks but also trucks thinner than board. 8.5 board with 7.75 trucks is a flip machine. Also good for slappys, ok for manuals but not a whole lot else

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #1262 on: June 18, 2022, 08:27:47 AM »
If you want the real flip trick "hack" go low trucks but also trucks thinner than board. 8.5 board with 7.75 trucks is a flip machine. Also good for slappys, ok for manuals but not a whole lot else

You can also pull the old Rodney Mullen trick and put some lead shot or ball bearings in the hollow cavity in the baseplate of your trucks.  This pulls the center of gravity more towards the center of the board and it will definitely flip faster.  Plus they would in theory keep the board more steady when landing hard like a dead blow hammer as well.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1263 on: June 18, 2022, 08:30:37 AM »
Don’t forget to tape your fingers!

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #1264 on: June 18, 2022, 11:57:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone remember the trucks that were shaped like this?

They were kind of spikey, but rounded in between the spikes like it was meant for your fingers to grab them? I think they had 1 or 2 less spikes and more space for your fingers than I drew here.

They either looked like this, or had a red baseplate, I can't remember.

I remember someone I knew had these trucks and I thought they were so cool looking, but in retrospect, I bet they are awful for many different grinds.

Can anyone remember the brand or model name? For some reason Creature (or something along those lines... Monster? Viscera? No idea.) is coming to mind, but I can't find any evidence of them on the internet at the moment.

Anyone have any leads? Does anyone else even remember these (early 2000s)?
[close]

[close]

LOL, omg that is the EXACT CCS listing I found (but the upload I found was worse resolution). Thanks a ton guys, I don't know why I didn't ask earlier considering I got two instant responses. I appreciate it.

EDIT:  I just noticed the glow in the dark part.

Someone needs to put together the ultimate night board. Glow in the dark Spitfires, Krepers, hardware (I had some, not sure what brand).... Just found this video of glowing griptape:

And the cherry on top? Pop a tail devil on that shit.

What skate company is going to have the BALLS to do it, at least ironically? Bronze 56k? Quasi? Who's going to do it?
[close]

I have glow in the dark Spitfires and a glow in the dark Real Ishod 8.5” twin tail still in the stack. Not looking to part with either but I wouldn’t mind some glow in the dark Krepers!  ;)

So I actually had the idea for a glow in the dark setup a few years ago and I could pull it off if someone knows of a good glow graphic. The only ones available at the time I was putting it together were the real ones with like starscapes and shit and they kinda sucked. I have a set of krepers but not glow ones... They're brand new but the paint is chipped in a few spots. If anyone wants to buy them to skate I'll sell them but beware they're a collectible these days and aren't cheap. Anyways, back to the glow board... I have

-51mm snot conicals or 53mm F4 glow swirl conical fulls
- Thunder 148 with glow bushings
- a dozen or so spitfire glow stickers
- multiple types of glow grip
- bearing shields I painted with a glow pen

The biggest issue is that glow stuff needs to absorb a lot of light and the bottom of your skateboard is usually in shade so you don't get a very long or bright glow. It does look kinda cool at night but it's more subtle than you might think. It's not going to illuminate anything or leave tracers when you do 3 flips like the LED wheels you sometimes see the raver kids skating.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #1265 on: June 18, 2022, 05:30:10 PM »
IIRC glow in the dark stuff looks great under a black light(was on shrooms decades ago so who knows for sure) and should give it enough contrast/light/dark to have it pop.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #1266 on: June 20, 2022, 01:40:41 AM »
Anyone else feel that its way easier to do/land flip tricks on low trucks?

At first I used to skate taller trucks, and really struggled with flip tricks. Then, the peak of my flip trick ability came once I switched to Venture Lows. It was sort of an epiphany. Then I started skating Indy Standards Highs I basically stopped being able to do as many flip tricks again.

I don't plan on switching back to lows (I love skating Aces with 56mm wheels too much), but I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience?
I tried Venture lows a few years back, great for flips but didn’t like the stretched wb, went back to Ace.
Kinda wanna try Ace lows but have since gone up in wheel size and I get pretty bad wheelbite as is

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #1267 on: June 20, 2022, 02:27:03 AM »
Is there a way to make new Dickies soft other than washing them 1000 times?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1268 on: June 20, 2022, 02:51:21 AM »

Leaving them in as hot a tub to soak with fabric softener is the most common one I have heard, if you want to try to fast track the softening.

I used to just keep brand new ones for work (not for skating right away) and put them in the wash any time I did a load of washing, even if I had not worn them to ease into it, but some softened up a lot faster than others too.

After other people had suggested it, I went a size up in the 874 pants and put a belt on permanently, I feel like they got a whole lot easier to wear right from first day, but that doesn't really help you right now.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1269 on: June 20, 2022, 01:23:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Leaving them in as hot a tub to soak with fabric softener is the most common one I have heard, if you want to try to fast track the softening.

I used to just keep brand new ones for work (not for skating right away) and put them in the wash any time I did a load of washing, even if I had not worn them to ease into it, but some softened up a lot faster than others too.

After other people had suggested it, I went a size up in the 874 pants and put a belt on permanently, I feel like they got a whole lot easier to wear right from first day, but that doesn't really help you right now.

Cheers mate. I took them for a session and while stiff they felt good to skate. I told the wife to put them in the machine every time she washes so they‘ll soften up soon.

Other question: Coming from Polar 93s, skating Dickies 873s feels like skinny jeans. It makes me feel like skating differently, not worse just different. I feel like baggies are more forgiving but with slim pants you might be more in control of what happens under your feet. How do pants affect your skating?
why come?

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1270 on: June 20, 2022, 04:13:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cheers mate. I took them for a session and while stiff they felt good to skate. I told the wife to put them in the machine every time she washes so they‘ll soften up soon.

Other question: Coming from Polar 93s, skating Dickies 873s feels like skinny jeans. It makes me feel like skating differently, not worse just different. I feel like baggies are more forgiving but with slim pants you might be more in control of what happens under your feet. How do pants affect your skating?

Throwing some tennis balls in the wash with them will help as well, but it can get noisy. I've even seen people throw skate wheels in with pants to get them softened up.

As long as I'm not restricted around my knees, I'm pretty much fine wth whatever. I have a pair of wrangler carpenters that are fairly baggy but have no stretch or taper, and they're just too hard to skate in because they pull whenever I bend down. Also, if baggies are heavy denim then the feeling of the extra weight throws me off. I had some carhartt pants that were too long so I cuffed them and it felt like wearing ankle weights.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #1271 on: June 20, 2022, 04:25:23 PM »
Just wash them before wearing on warm water then dry them with 2 fabric softeners.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #1272 on: June 20, 2022, 09:38:06 PM »
Does anyone have a good/easy way to remove pivot cups without scratching your baseplates up? I usually use some combo of a screwdriver and pliers to get them out, but I always end up scratching up my baseplates a bit and it takes a while. Pry some, pull some, pry some, pull some.
I always use a truck axel. Usually they fit into the pivot cup and the threads provide some friction to help "grip" onto the insides of the pivot cups. Helps to avoid mangling the pivot cup and minimizes other issues.

I suppose a similarly sized bolt might work as well.

EDIT: Misspelled "axle." FFS. W. Axl Rose.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 11:32:59 PM by SaySo »
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1273 on: June 20, 2022, 10:44:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Throwing some tennis balls in the wash with them will help as well, but it can get noisy. I've even seen people throw skate wheels in with pants to get them softened up.

As long as I'm not restricted around my knees, I'm pretty much fine wth whatever. I have a pair of wrangler carpenters that are fairly baggy but have no stretch or taper, and they're just too hard to skate in because they pull whenever I bend down. Also, if baggies are heavy denim then the feeling of the extra weight throws me off. I had some carhartt pants that were too long so I cuffed them and it felt like wearing ankle weights.

That‘s hilarious. Were they using new or used wheels? What‘s the effect of washing them  on the wheels?
why come?

Banned from the room

« Reply #1274 on: June 20, 2022, 10:48:21 PM »
Is Alison Rosendo gods gift to skateboarding
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 11:18:36 PM by Uncle Flea »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1275 on: June 20, 2022, 11:19:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That‘s hilarious. Were they using new or used wheels? What‘s the effect of washing them  on the wheels?

Real skaters put trucks into their washing machines to wear in their pants / shoes.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1276 on: June 20, 2022, 11:47:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I had a pair of Analog wheel wash jeans. They were washed with old skateboard wheels in the factory. They were really soft and pleasant. Maybe my favorite pair of pants I’ve had. So maybe there’s something to it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1277 on: June 21, 2022, 04:49:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I had a pair of Analog wheel wash jeans. They were washed with old skateboard wheels in the factory. They were really soft and pleasant. Maybe my favorite pair of pants I’ve had. So maybe there’s something to it.

Yeah, I think I had a pair for a minute too back when they were out and I was trying out a lot of different pants.

I think the official line was it naturally breaks down the fibres in the jeans or something similar, but realistically it beats the absolute crap out of them in one wash so much more than you could ever do in a hundred wear and normal washes.

It reminds me of getting some of those pre washed Dickies 874s too, when they were around for a minute.  "Rinsed" was the term, but they had definitely been through the wringer and were super soft right from go.

The normal ones would have 874CH on the tag for 874 Charcoal, but the rinsed versions had 874RCH...

Edit:  Sorry, probably too much information.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1278 on: June 21, 2022, 07:35:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That might be exactly what I remember seeing, an analog ad in a skate mag.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #1279 on: June 21, 2022, 01:43:59 PM »
I typically break in Dickies during the winter time when the extra thick feeling is appreciated. By summer they’re nice and soft and breezy.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1280 on: June 21, 2022, 02:16:49 PM »
What brands do kicks like Baker? Flatter, not hella short. My Sci Fi is great, but feels too steep and the Anti Hero II I had was fucking ridiculously steep. Don't like that shit.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1281 on: June 21, 2022, 05:14:51 PM »
What brands do kicks like Baker? Flatter, not hella short. My Sci Fi is great, but feels too steep and the Anti Hero II I had was fucking ridiculously steep. Don't like that shit.

Try Passport if it is around near you, or even Magenta.

Both those are the same wood / presses and I always found them to be flatter / more mellow.

The comparable length boards have a slightly shorter wheelbase, so you have a touch longer tail too on the 8.38 when I got a few of them.

8.38 x 31.95 to 32 with about a 14.38 wb if I recall correctly.

oak leaf

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1282 on: June 22, 2022, 07:07:35 AM »
the only bushings that ever crack and crumble are the tops (roadside) - is that typical or am i just not doing the grinds that wreck the bottom one?

feel like im sitting on all bottom bushings

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1283 on: June 22, 2022, 07:49:00 AM »
the only bushings that ever crack and crumble are the tops (roadside) - is that typical or am i just not doing the grinds that wreck the bottom one?

From looking over the assorted used / mismatched bushing bag, I have a whole lot more Indy bottoms than tops, then a whole lot more tops from some and bottoms from others, both Thunder and Venture (at least the ones I know were from them, colourwise or just the feel of them) so I don't really know if there is anything specific that one person would do to blow out tops or bottoms.

Are yours all the same?  Same brand / colour or anything about them to note, eg I feel like cylinder hold up better than the conical bottoms, so Thunder conical bottoms end up more blown out than others, but Indy tops blow out more than the Indy bottoms.

That is just with this lot anyway, which is maybe fifty bushings all up - too many to hold in both hands, which is why they are all in a bag.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1284 on: June 22, 2022, 08:48:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

From looking over the assorted used / mismatched bushing bag, I have a whole lot more Indy bottoms than tops, then a whole lot more tops from some and bottoms from others, both Thunder and Venture (at least the ones I know were from them, colourwise or just the feel of them) so I don't really know if there is anything specific that one person would do to blow out tops or bottoms.

Are yours all the same?  Same brand / colour or anything about them to note, eg I feel like cylinder hold up better than the conical bottoms, so Thunder conical bottoms end up more blown out than others, but Indy tops blow out more than the Indy bottoms.

That is just with this lot anyway, which is maybe fifty bushings all up - too many to hold in both hands, which is why they are all in a bag.

I definitely seem to be harder on top (roadside) bushings, they crumble pretty quick for me, especially harder duro bushings. This is pretty consistent between indy (stock and aftermarket), thunder, and doh dohs.

oak leaf

• Rep: 58
« Reply #1285 on: June 22, 2022, 09:55:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah all mine are the same- venture stock bushings. I like the way they skate just fine, but having to buy two little pieces of plastic each time one bushing fails makes me anxious about the ocean lol. Would like it if my plastic pieces failed symmetrically so i felt like i wasnt wasting shit

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1286 on: June 25, 2022, 07:56:25 AM »
Salba saucing a rough ledge. I rub bricked it and did a coat of clear gloss enamel. Going back to do a second coat hopefully later today. But the other can I have is clear matte enamel. Will this matter? Will the matte make it sticky or less slide-y? I’m gonna wax it after the enamel. So will the matte affect it? Didn’t do the best rub bricking cause I was in a hurry cause it’s kinda open spot and it was like 102 yesterday

I just accidentally grabbed a gloss and a matte instead of 2 glosses. 

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #1287 on: June 25, 2022, 07:57:36 AM »
Salba saucing a rough ledge. I rub bricked it and did a coat of clear gloss enamel. Going back to do a second coat hopefully later today. But the other can I have is clear matte enamel. Will this matter? Will the matte make it sticky or less slide-y? I’m gonna wax it after the enamel. So will the matte affect it? Didn’t do the best rub bricking cause I was in a hurry cause it’s kinda open spot and it was like 102 yesterday

I don’t reckon it matters one bit

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1288 on: June 25, 2022, 08:08:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I don’t reckon it matters one bit

Awesome thank you!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1289 on: June 25, 2022, 08:16:46 AM »
It won't matter. The enamel acts as a surface sealant so wax doesn't absorb and melt into the concrete air voids if there are any. It 100% doesn't matter after you get the thing seasoned a bit.