Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216456 times)

djoekr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 322
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1350 on: July 07, 2022, 12:10:53 PM »
I really like the grind on my forced hollow indys, am I right that they grind better than normal indys?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #1351 on: July 07, 2022, 12:14:12 PM »
I really like the grind on my forced hollow indys, am I right that they grind better than normal indys?

That’s rad!
I prefer the weight of solid, cast Indy’s when grinding. That’s just me tho.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1352 on: July 07, 2022, 01:28:53 PM »

There's no reason the grind would be different, hanger same material as raw or hollow cast (356 Aluminum)
Feeling can be slightly different though because of height / weight difference and baseplate (that should be really minimal and it's a matter of preference about what's better)
Side note: I think there's a huge difference between worn and brand new trucks (contact surface is skinny on new trucks)

djoekr

• Rep: 322
« Reply #1353 on: July 07, 2022, 01:43:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There's no reason the grind would be different, hanger same material as raw or hollow cast (356 Aluminum)
Feeling can be slightly different though because of height / weight difference and baseplate (that should be really minimal and it's a matter of preference about what's better)
Side note: I think there's a huge difference between worn and brand new trucks (contact surface is skinny on new trucks)

Yeah that might add to the feeling. Rode normal 159s that were almost broken before stitching them out. Also thought that the hanger was made of the same material. They sound different than the normal ones I was riding but maybe I'll have to grind them down a bit further before I decide on hollows as my preferred truck.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1354 on: July 07, 2022, 05:22:21 PM »
Is dwindle wood measured straight across like bbs, or flat like ps stix?

As far as I know, almost every other woodshop measures straight across, with PS Stix being the only one that measures with the concave.

The Dwindle boards I have seen and people I know ride are very much the correct measurements, maybe the most correct in the industry, when it comes to how accurate their listed dimensions are when compared to the actual product.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1355 on: July 07, 2022, 06:34:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Is dwindle wood measured straight across like bbs, or flat like ps stix?
[close]

As far as I know, almost every other woodshop measures straight across, with PS Stix being the only one that measures with the concave.

The Dwindle boards I have seen and people I know ride are very much the correct measurements, maybe the most correct in the industry, when it comes to how accurate their listed dimensions are when compared to the actual product.

Can confirm, straight across, tip to tip on the Enjoi I have setup right now.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1356 on: July 07, 2022, 06:40:19 PM »
But what is the cost of this……perfection?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1357 on: July 08, 2022, 02:25:39 AM »

How lazy is it to manufacture boards and not be precise with the dimensions ?

Do you guys know if chinese factories do hand operated edge sanding or do they have a machine to do that ?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #1358 on: July 08, 2022, 04:00:20 AM »
Anybody know what the actual dimensions of a Cali school picnic table and/or single bench are?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #1359 on: July 08, 2022, 05:25:15 PM »
Expand Quote
IG really isn’t wort the time anymore. The only things I bother with on it now are the stories. They flood post ‘suggested posts’ or suggested users so much you can’t even find post from people you do actually follow. I’d completely ditch it but it’s how I keep in contact with people I skate with or people out of town.
Fuck Zuckerberg. He destroyed yet another platform.
[close]

They really seem hellbent on killing the goose that laid the golden egg
Maybe he’s trying to kill it to help bring back the zombie fb or eliminate it for meta. Who knows.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1360 on: July 08, 2022, 06:47:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How lazy is it to manufacture boards and not be precise with the dimensions ?

Do you guys know if chinese factories do hand operated edge sanding or do they have a machine to do that ?

Any of the videos (which are pretty old now, I think) had always shown people doing it by hand, but it would make sense that almost every part of the process become automated at some point, which in turn would make everything way more even as well.

As per anything that has "hands on" human involvement, there could always be some differences, a little heavy here, a little lighter there, new sanding belt vs old sanding belt, but certainly the single press method, compared to the four or more press method gives a more accurate product every single time, as well as machine cut shapes and as much automation as possible.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #1361 on: July 09, 2022, 06:04:35 AM »
Where can I buy laces like the ones on Tyshawns shoe and Tiagos? The Tyshawn lows are big lace rippers for me. I bought some off lace doctor but they’re too thin. Anyone know where to buy good replacements?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #1362 on: July 09, 2022, 06:36:22 AM »
Where can I buy laces like the ones on Tyshawns shoe and Tiagos? The Tyshawn lows are big lace rippers for me. I bought some off lace doctor but they’re too thin. Anyone know where to buy good replacements?

I got some here, not exactly identical but quite similar.

https://www.feetunique.fr/lacets-ovales-6mm
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

manysnakes

« Reply #1363 on: July 09, 2022, 09:11:14 AM »
Before I buy a leaf blower.
Does anyone know of a broom like that one scum co made that disassembles into small pieces to carry easily?

I can personally confirm that this handle will easily screw into this broom. Since this fits together so easily, I assume that the threading on the base of a broom is more or less standard and you can use the collapsable bit with just about any other industrial broom. It packs up super small, easy to keep in the car, but fuck does it get dirty. Gotta figure out a bag situation to keep out the debris.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #1364 on: July 10, 2022, 06:52:00 AM »
Where the hell is my skate tool?!? Did I leave it in my car?

I got some new wheels and I'm resisting the urge to use some vice grips to put them on. Please lord grant me the strength to be patient.

Banned from the room

« Reply #1365 on: July 10, 2022, 07:23:58 AM »
Expand Quote
How do you stop being a legend? I’m really tired of hearing about it.

It’s always the negative shit. I am not really made of Teflon
[close]

In response to your question I’ll ask some questions:

How are switch tre’s? I haven’t given up hope, but…that’s only because I’m romantic, my attempts are not in good faith, definitely posing them.
I know you ride the v, when was the last time you skated lo’s?

I completely gave up on switch tre. I feel like it’s not possible at my age unless I lighten up my set up a ton.

I should really be working on switch back 3. That’s way more realistic now I finally got switch back 80 kinda.

I would not say I have the sw bs 80 but I can do them in one motion now.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #1366 on: July 10, 2022, 10:54:01 AM »
Why the fuck was pigpen in grind session? Of the hundreds of skaters they could of picked from they chose fucking pigpen.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1367 on: July 10, 2022, 12:30:58 PM »
So regarding dipped boards, if I sand down til I reach the plys, am I in danger of the board delaminating over time faster than it might naturally occur? I'm about to set up a cruiser on a dipped board and am tempted to just sand it down from the jump. Is this a bad idea? Is there something I can apply with a brush or from a can that will fix that?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #1368 on: July 10, 2022, 01:04:29 PM »
dipped boards look so weird.

jakedilla

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1369 on: July 10, 2022, 02:31:56 PM »
Every dipped board I've ever skated I have a weird madness/fear of slipping out on slides, despite never experiencing that myself. anyone else? Do dipped boards really even provide that much more "slide" than a regularly printed board?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1370 on: July 10, 2022, 06:47:17 PM »
So regarding dipped boards, if I sand down til I reach the plys, am I in danger of the board delaminating over time faster than it might naturally occur? I'm about to set up a cruiser on a dipped board and am tempted to just sand it down from the jump. Is this a bad idea? Is there something I can apply with a brush or from a can that will fix that?

Any lacquer or clear coat will do just fine, same as any paint to seal the wood.  Sanding will almost always remove both the sprayed paint colour as well as the initial clear coat they put on the decks to seal them when first done, so if nothing else, just a light layer of clear coat should do it.

Every dipped board I've ever skated I have a weird madness/fear of slipping out on slides, despite never experiencing that myself. anyone else? Do dipped boards really even provide that much more "slide" than a regularly printed board?

I know some people think the more paint, the more slippery a board will be, but with some paints, it is actually the opposite and the thicker layers of paint make it not slide half as much.  No telling between which boards though, but all up any paint could be slippery to start with, but then a whole lot less once you have skated the board a bit.

The most annoying thing I found, as did many others, is with dipped boards, they almost always used the cheaper ply in the construction (usually natural ply layers) which then didn't hold up half as well as other better ply layers that were stained, but that was from a fair while ago and things might have changed now.

More recently, the last BBS board that was fully painted / dipped was all natural and didn't last half as long as the others for a guy I skate with, from one brand I am not going to name, but other brands like FA / Hockey seem to still be on the same wood, stained layers under the dipped colours.

Older PS Stix and NHS boards were very soft wood for their dipped boards, of which I have a lot of broken boards from other people in those options, as well as some not broken but very soggy flexed out decks that are best on the board walls, than under someone's feet.

Curious to know which boards anyone else has had that are dipped and if they are on pricepoint / natural wood or pro stained wood.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1371 on: July 11, 2022, 11:22:41 AM »
I thought it was in this thread and maybe I'm not going back far enough but wasn't there a discussion on flying with decks? I flew and checked my deck and it feels oddly soggy. I was on a 787, which flies at 40k feet which is higher than normal. My bushings also feel ridiculously squishy.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1372 on: July 11, 2022, 06:47:06 PM »
I thought it was in this thread and maybe I'm not going back far enough but wasn't there a discussion on flying with decks? I flew and checked my deck and it feels oddly soggy. I was on a 787, which flies at 40k feet which is higher than normal. My bushings also feel ridiculously squishy.

I can't remember where it was / which thread, but I used to fly every other week and my "travel" board would end up feeling very different from my others I had (pretty much the same setups) and put it down to the pressure and temperatures in the cargo area, even though inside a bag and all that, it felt way heavier and a little soggy.

Not sure about bushings though, but the temperature changes could have affected them somewhat as well.

Minoru Suzuki

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1373 on: July 12, 2022, 09:06:08 AM »
Is Alltimers a play on Alzheimer's?

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #1374 on: July 12, 2022, 09:14:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Before I buy a leaf blower.
Does anyone know of a broom like that one scum co made that disassembles into small pieces to carry easily?
[close]

I can personally confirm that this handle will easily screw into this broom. Since this fits together so easily, I assume that the threading on the base of a broom is more or less standard and you can use the collapsable bit with just about any other industrial broom. It packs up super small, easy to keep in the car, but fuck does it get dirty. Gotta figure out a bag situation to keep out the debris.

I’m using that same broom head with a telescoping paint roller extension handle. Pretty much all brooms and roller frames use the same thread.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
« Reply #1375 on: July 12, 2022, 02:50:36 PM »
Just curious: has anyone skated the Thunder 181? I feel like everyone immediately forgot about them after release.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1376 on: July 13, 2022, 10:26:28 AM »

There was a travel thread where this was talked about. So the main luggage compartment on a plane isnt pressurized which exposes your board to pressure, temp change, moisture, etc. Pretty much the perfect conditions to warp your board in a short amount of time. 

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1377 on: July 13, 2022, 10:35:12 AM »
Just curious: has anyone skated the Thunder 181? I feel like everyone immediately forgot about them after release.

Haven't hit europe yet. I really want to hold these in my hands and look at them, but don't have any use for them

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67
« Reply #1378 on: July 15, 2022, 03:16:02 PM »
What happens to wheels over time? Do they become more slick or more grippy?

Recently bought new wheels (56mm Bones SPF 84b P5), which are exactly the same as my old wheels, but I'm having a much tougher time reverting on concrete transition.

Will this improve with time or do I bite the bullet and change to Spitfire Formula 4's, even though I really liked my last two sets of Bones SPF?
The pant situation is out of control at this point

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1379 on: July 15, 2022, 07:01:07 PM »
What happens to wheels over time? Do they become more slick or more grippy?

Recently bought new wheels (56mm Bones SPF 84b P5), which are exactly the same as my old wheels, but I'm having a much tougher time reverting on concrete transition.

Will this improve with time or do I bite the bullet and change to Spitfire Formula 4's, even though I really liked my last two sets of Bones SPF?

I feel like it depends a lot on the formula, but for most wheels I have, they definitely get harder as they age, some a lot more than others.

Urethane cures at different rates, so some wheels are always going to start out softer when new right out of the packet, while some will stay more or less the same throughout.

If a set of wheels has coloured significantly, it is a sure sign of that process, especially with older Spitfire and even some older Bones wheels I have had over the years.

The only other thing that you don't really know is how long something has been sitting in stock, either in a cabinet or where ever, but since the pandemic, there have been very few older sets of wheels floating around and a whole lot more of the brand new freshly made wheels hitting shops, which I think has also contributed to more of that "new wheel feel" being discovered by others too.