Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216798 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1380 on: July 17, 2022, 09:11:12 PM »
https://esskateboarding.com/collections/sale/products/accel-slim-x-swift-1-5-blue

Anyone know if this model has hidden lace loops like the Swift 1.5? The description says "Protective Lace Loops".

I'm wearing Accel Slim Plus Everstitch and even though it's not stated in the description they do come with hidden lace loops which is one of my favorite features of the shoe.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1381 on: July 18, 2022, 06:54:03 AM »
Could tightening your trucks reduce your pop?

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1382 on: July 18, 2022, 07:12:29 AM »

I've found the opposite to be true.
A possible explanation could be that less downward force is dispersed into a small left/right turn aka compression of the bushings and goes more directly into the ground.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1383 on: July 18, 2022, 08:47:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A possible explanation could be that less downward force is dispersed into a small left/right turn aka compression of the bushings and goes more directly into the ground.

Same, less twitch before the pop helped with getting a solid snap off the ground. But tight trucks did make 180 tricks noticably harder.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #1384 on: July 18, 2022, 09:47:13 AM »
I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this. What are 360 flips called where the board is popped frontside instead of backside? I guess I've never seen one, and probably don't want to b/c I imagine it to look like shit, but I'm too curious not to ask

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #1385 on: July 18, 2022, 10:02:59 AM »
360 hardflip if kickflip, laserflip if heelflip.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1386 on: July 18, 2022, 11:22:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same, less twitch before the pop helped with getting a solid snap off the ground. But tight trucks did make 180 tricks noticably harder.

Does tight trucks make scoop tricks like tres and impossibles harder or easier?

Anyone have tips on getting quick feet? Having an issue after I pop up a curb I have about 6 or so feet to set up again to hit a ledge. But I can’t get set up in time to pop again. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #1387 on: July 18, 2022, 12:08:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Anyone have tips on getting quick feet? Having an issue after I pop up a curb I have about 6 or so feet to set up again to hit a ledge. But I can’t get set up in time to pop again.
Don't know about tre and impossible but I feel like they do for backside flip/heel which have a little bit of the same motion. Feel like tight trucks help with popping a trick and loose (within reason) help with landing.

Think you gotta practice not taking your foot off the tail or sliding your front foot too far up on the first Ollie and olling however your feet are without really setting up for the second. Can even land in manual for a half second and get used to landing with your feet already back a bit.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #1388 on: July 18, 2022, 12:18:44 PM »
Thanks a lot @bbk!

Banned from the room

« Reply #1389 on: July 18, 2022, 12:31:54 PM »

If I tighten my trucks I have more pop with tricks that involve a shuv.

Straight tricks not so much.

My tre flips explode with a slightly tighter back truck. There is a point where tightening it more becomes problematic. It can be seen with like Rick flips. I’ll have only three wheels down when I go to pop the trick.

I’d rather have loose trucks and have to work a little bit more to really pop a high trick.

I like speed wobble hill bombs. That’s the most exciting thing in skateboarding to me at this age.

Expand Quote
What happens to wheels over time? Do they become more slick or more grippy?

Recently bought new wheels (56mm Bones SPF 84b P5), which are exactly the same as my old wheels, but I'm having a much tougher time reverting on concrete transition.

Will this improve with time or do I bite the bullet and change to Spitfire Formula 4's, even though I really liked my last two sets of Bones SPF?
[close]

I feel like it depends a lot on the formula, but for most wheels I have, they definitely get harder as they age, some a lot more than others.

Urethane cures at different rates, so some wheels are always going to start out softer when new right out of the packet, while some will stay more or less the same throughout.

If a set of wheels has coloured significantly, it is a sure sign of that process, especially with older Spitfire and even some older Bones wheels I have had over the years.

The only other thing that you don't really know is how long something has been sitting in stock, either in a cabinet or where ever, but since the pandemic, there have been very few older sets of wheels floating around and a whole lot more of the brand new freshly made wheels hitting shops, which I think has also contributed to more of that "new wheel feel" being discovered by others too.

I’ve had wheels go either way. Definitely depended on the formula.

V2 Bones seem to get more and more sticky. 

F4 is pretty consistent from start to finish.

Loops I haven’t had long enough yet. I do know they last longer than F4. Way way longer. Loops kinda remind me of Pig’s vintage urethane.

My orange pigs from like way way way back was the best wheel I’ve ever had.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1390 on: July 18, 2022, 05:04:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

For me it's learning how to level out my tail quickly. Once the tail is level for me my front foot can do whatever. Move back slightly in your case. Practice it on flat first with small, quick Ollie's. After you slide the front foot up a tad, overexagerate bringing the rear foot up quick even if it's not high. Once you get that down, on the way down you can slide the front foot back a tad. I slow mo'd an old 411 back in the day to learn this.

truthislie

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1391 on: July 20, 2022, 09:43:45 AM »
Today I wondered if Stevie Cab still gets royalties for his shoes. Must be some nice money with the Half Cab trend going on right now...

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #1392 on: July 20, 2022, 11:58:23 AM »
Today I wondered if Stevie Cab still gets royalties for his shoes. Must be some nice money with the Half Cab trend going on right now...
he does, but only half for obvious reasons

truthislie

• Rep: 60
« Reply #1393 on: July 20, 2022, 12:17:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well played. I should have known :)

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1394 on: July 21, 2022, 05:05:27 AM »
How is the grind clearance on thunder 148 for feebles/smiths? I am thinking of sizing up from 147s (that I setup with kreper inverted kingpins) and if possible I’d like to try the 148s with forged plates (to save on height and I won’t be able to pound out the kingpins if needed)
Thanks in advance!

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1395 on: July 21, 2022, 05:09:13 AM »
How is the grind clearance on thunder 148 for feebles/smiths? I am thinking of sizing up from 147s (that I setup with kreper inverted kingpins) and if possible I’d like to try the 148s with forged plates (to save on height and I won’t be able to pound out the kingpins if needed)
Thanks in advance!

Possibly still better than 147 with an ikp. Definitely good enough

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1397 on: July 21, 2022, 06:45:35 AM »
Do you feel a difference if you skate 2mm bigger/smaller wheels ?

I skate 52 mm usually , but thinking about getting 54 mm. What difference does it make to you?

I skate v hollow light ventures and FA decks currently.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1398 on: July 21, 2022, 07:24:05 AM »
Do these weight the same as v-hollow lights ?

https://www.titus.de/venture-achse-5.2-high-v-hollow-og-wings-silverpolished-red-0122933/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIifLq1ISK-QIVxY1oCR1XIQBzEAQYCyABEgJUf_D_BwE

Link doesn't work for me but just from the title, they are hollow lights.

I skate 52 mm usually , but thinking about getting 54 mm. What difference does it make to you?

Smoother ride, slightly more wheelbite and you're 1mm further from the ground, so not a huge difference but it's noticeable.
You'll get used to it super quickly for sure

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1399 on: July 21, 2022, 07:37:36 AM »

Expand Quote

[close]

Smoother ride, slightly more wheelbite and you're 1mm further from the ground, so not a huge difference but it's noticeable.

Thx

The trucks in the link don’t have a „lights“ in the name and this confuses me. I looked them up in other shops and it never says „lights“.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1400 on: July 21, 2022, 08:15:29 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thx

The trucks in the link don’t have a „lights“ in the name and this confuses me. I looked them up in other shops and it never says „lights“.

i think you're safe, a 'v-hollow light' technically doesn't exist, venture just calls it a v-hollow. def confusing though to see it listed on sites that way though

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1401 on: July 21, 2022, 07:48:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks in advance!
[close]

Thank you!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #1402 on: July 21, 2022, 08:03:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

California….maybe a quarter….

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1403 on: July 21, 2022, 08:26:25 PM »
Looking at the NB 808 and the reactions made me think, how many pros have released a second shoe that was regarded as well or better than the first model? From the top of my head I can think of the Crocketts, maybe the ka-2s?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1404 on: July 21, 2022, 09:16:42 PM »
Looking at the NB 808 and the reactions made me think, how many pros have released a second shoe that was regarded as well or better than the first model? From the top of my head I can think of the Crocketts, maybe the ka-2s?

to be fair i'm waiting for that brown suede(?) version of the 808 that was on the catalog shot, that's gonna be some good shit. love the shoe, but just not that initial white colorway.
to answer your question though, does ave count?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #1405 on: July 21, 2022, 09:21:04 PM »
Reynolds 2? Aves second DC, dollins 3rd vans, TNT 2, Herman 2, Leo's second emerica was probably his best shoe (maybe even the best emerica shoe) but all evidence it existed has been completely scrubbed out

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1406 on: July 21, 2022, 10:24:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks in advance!
[close]

[close]
Thank you!

At least you would have two options there as well.

The baseplates are the same through different widths of truck, just the hangers, which vary in width and height, so you can put the 148 hangers on the older baseplates to try that option just the same too, eg see which works better for you with either the forged plates that would be on the new trucks compared to the IKP modified cast baseplates from the old ones.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1407 on: July 21, 2022, 10:45:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thx

[close]

i think you're safe, a 'v-hollow light' technically doesn't exist, venture just calls it a v-hollow. def confusing though to see it listed on sites that way though

It is a bit funny with the naming, but hopefully this makes it a whole lot easier, with this info:

https://venturetrucks.net/

In particular this one with the different versions, with names helps (regardless of the graphic):

https://www.venturetrucks.net/summer22/08-ve-sp22-d1-polished.jpg

V-Lights

Features: Regular Axle on hanger, Forged baseplate, Hollow Kingpin

V-Hollow

Features: Hollow Axle on hanger, Forged baseplate, Hollow Kingpin

As for the wheel question, going from 52mm to 54mm, you are going to be 1mm higher off the ground, so it is not a huge jump, but there are some differences, mainly being the wheels will roll over everything a little better, maybe needing a little more precision on things like crooked grinds with bigger wheels, as well as nose / tail slides being a little more grippy but the wheels will lock in to some things more easily, last a lot longer and hold up better than smaller wheels too, so it balances out overall.

Some people will really notice it a lot, depending on what tricks you usually do or how you go about doing some things, so as much as they might feel faster at first, they might also take a bit to get used to or become easier to ride as they wear down if you can really feel the difference in them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1408 on: July 22, 2022, 01:08:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thx

[close]

[close]

It is a bit funny with the naming, but hopefully this makes it a whole lot easier, with this info:

https://venturetrucks.net/

In particular this one with the different versions, with names helps (regardless of the graphic):

https://www.venturetrucks.net/summer22/08-ve-sp22-d1-polished.jpg

V-Lights

Features: Regular Axle on hanger, Forged baseplate, Hollow Kingpin

V-Hollow

Features: Hollow Axle on hanger, Forged baseplate, Hollow Kingpin

As for the wheel question, going from 52mm to 54mm, you are going to be 1mm higher off the ground, so it is not a huge jump, but there are some differences, mainly being the wheels will roll over everything a little better, maybe needing a little more precision on things like crooked grinds with bigger wheels, as well as nose / tail slides being a little more grippy but the wheels will lock in to some things more easily, last a lot longer and hold up better than smaller wheels too, so it balances out overall.

Some people will really notice it a lot, depending on what tricks you usually do or how you go about doing some things, so as much as they might feel faster at first, they might also take a bit to get used to or become easier to ride as they wear down if you can really feel the difference in them.

Thx!

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1409 on: July 22, 2022, 01:37:47 AM »

It depends on the wheel. For some reason Spitfire Conical Fulls get waaay wider between 54mm and 56mm. An actually noticeable width and weight difference. So you might not really feel the height difference, but the width/mass change will affect things for sure.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.