Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216570 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1440 on: July 27, 2022, 01:58:56 AM »
Thanks lads, I will try tightening a thread (currently riding flush or even slightly below flush). I might go for a harder top bushing if that does not work. I feel like the Indy stock bushings are very soft. I recently put Bones soft bushings on my wife‘s set up and they actually turn less than the Indy stocks.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
« Reply #1441 on: July 27, 2022, 04:47:33 AM »
I was searching the forum for some info about the colored plys in the decks but didn't find enough info. Do they matter and is it better the board to have more of them? I have noticed that magenta decks have 2 colored plys (top and bottom) but polar, baker, dlx pro boards have 3 and they seem to hold up better. I am on my fisrt magenta deck now and it got chipped on the 3 session, a friend also chipped his deck on the first week and we skate mostly flat and ledges. These are all bbs pressed decks but how does the colored ply question stands for the other woodshops?  I would appreciated some more info about this? Greetings!

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1442 on: July 27, 2022, 05:03:51 AM »
colored plies are just plies that are colored period

Don't overthink it

there's a small chance you picked a weak board (can happen), there's a bigger chance you're the only one responsible for destroying your board

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #1443 on: July 27, 2022, 05:05:28 AM »
I was searching the forum for some info about the colored plys in the decks but didn't find enough info. Do they matter and is it better the board to have more of them? I have noticed that magenta decks have 2 colored plys (top and bottom) but polar, baker, dlx pro boards have 3 and they seem to hold up better. I am on my fisrt magenta deck now and it got chipped on the 3 session, a friend also chipped his deck on the first week and we skate mostly flat and ledges. These are all bbs pressed decks but how does the colored ply question stands for the other woodshops?  I would appreciated some more info about this? Greetings!
I think BBS and some wood shops sell price point decks which will have less color plys. Maybe you got one of those.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1444 on: July 27, 2022, 05:10:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think BBS and some wood shops sell price point decks which will have less color plys. Maybe you got one of those.

they are price point decks because they are made with a different wood / process
colored plies are just more expensive (not stronger or weaker)
1$ for each additional colored ply is the usual cost

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #1445 on: July 27, 2022, 05:44:05 AM »
According to the guy working when I got my first board the colours plys are special resins that make the board stronger. More coloured plys the better the board. I still just got a blank. Never trust someone with a goatee

El Freegano

« Reply #1446 on: July 27, 2022, 06:02:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

they are price point decks because they are made with a different wood / process
Mine is a pro board on a regular price and i just wondered if this colored ply thing matters, coz i have hit my previous dlx and polar decks (with 3 colored plys) harder in ledges and walls and they held much better. It could also be that my current deck is from last years collection or just bad luck :)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1447 on: July 27, 2022, 07:51:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Mine is a pro board on a regular price and i just wondered if this colored ply thing matters, coz i have hit my previous dlx and polar decks (with 3 colored plys) harder in ledges and walls and they held much better. It could also be that my current deck is from last years collection or just bad luck :)

For some woodshops or even from some batches of boards, there was a specific quality of wood that was selected to be stained, even some better quality wood with certain colours which is what we often thought of the yellow and orange tops from DLX boards back in the day, but I think that has been almost completely overturned now as myth or just our own belief in how certain boards held up.  I still think a DLX / BBS yellow or orange top is always going to be better for me, no matter how long it lasts, but all the other different coloured tops I have had recently have also held up really well too.

Sure some woodshops still select better wood veneers to be top and bottom layers (which may or may not get stained) and other veneers with imperfections to be more in the middle layers and there is definitely a difference in feel of the "pro quality" decks compared to the "pricepoint quality" decks.

As BALARGUE said though, I think how a board chips is not so much down to the quality of the individual layers as to more just the luck of the way a board will land or impact things.  I have had some of the best boards run in to something at just the wrong angle and smash a nose or tail, as well as some of what I might consider the worst quality wood which seemed to go to mush still hold up round the edges better than some other boards, but I know this is not always the case.

Unlucky that a fairly new board of any brand gets some solid chips or chunks out, but Passport, Magenta and other BBS brands are usually pretty solid, same as DLX and Baker, etc.  I have still seen all of those end up in pieces in the first day or smashed from hitting something.

According to the guy working when I got my first board the colours plys are special resins that make the board stronger. More coloured plys the better the board. I still just got a blank. Never trust someone with a goatee

I remember other people often saying that to customers when I have been browsing in shops too, not so much recently, but definitely a while back.

When Dwindle came out with full seven stained ply layers on the Enjoi boards (rainbow ply) those things sold out super quickly from some shops, so I am sure it wasn't just because someone liked rainbows.

I don't think they lasted any differently than any other board, but hey there is always someone telling kids things they want to hear just so someone else can make a sale.

* For the record I have NEVER had a goatee either, but I know the sort of person well enough.  I wonder if there is often a guide to how to become that guy.  Glad I never read that one.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1448 on: July 27, 2022, 08:26:13 AM »
Dyed veneer being "stronger" is fully a placebo. I'd say it comes from the higher price and the fact that it looks way better than natural veneer.

Hell, if anything natural veneer should theoretically be better than dyed since veneers are literally submerged in water in order to fully dye them (according to how BBS does it).

https://youtu.be/pUbNQ1dLKGU?t=212

Later on they show that they dry the wood after the dyeing process, but if you think about it the dyed veneers are going through a lot in order to have the same integrity as their natural counterparts.

manysnakes

« Reply #1449 on: July 27, 2022, 08:26:15 AM »
Why don't people like sinking their bolts in?
I've only really seen it with older people (say 35+)and now younger people. (say 24 and under) who I assume are sort of mimicking the older people. Back when i watched 9club Crob would mention it sometimes. Personally I like them way sunken in I even turn a screwdriver in the hole a little bit first to take the edge off the wood. Having bolts sticking up may as well go back to the old dome style ones

Well if you go too deep you’ll create stress risers and weaken the board. I just tighten them until the heads are flush with the grip.

manysnakes

« Reply #1450 on: July 27, 2022, 08:46:16 AM »
Dyed veneer being "stronger" is fully a placebo. I'd say it comes from the higher price and the fact that it looks way better than natural veneer.

This is absolutely the case. It’s just a thing which is common on higher end boards, but it’s not what makes the board higher end. Nor does the color make any difference.

That said, I absolutely hate a skateboard deck without a dyed top and bottom ply.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #1451 on: July 27, 2022, 09:11:46 AM »
Expand Quote
I've only really seen it with older people (say 35+)and now younger people. (say 24 and under) who I assume are sort of mimicking the older people. Back when i watched 9club Crob would mention it sometimes. Personally I like them way sunken in I even turn a screwdriver in the hole a little bit first to take the edge off the wood. Having bolts sticking up may as well go back to the old dome style ones
[close]

Well if you go too deep you’ll create stress risers and weaken the board. I just tighten them until the heads are flush with the grip.

This. Idk about you guys but my bolts tend to loosen up themselves anyways from slappys and transition

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1452 on: July 27, 2022, 10:06:23 AM »
Chips have much more to do with the curing status of the wood and glue. I am guessing that price point wood tends to be older, drier plies, but I doubt that the decks are cured or glued any different.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #1453 on: July 27, 2022, 10:28:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This. Idk about you guys but my bolts tend to loosen up themselves anyways from slappys and transition
When I said way deep I just meant 1mm below the griptape but the head is going into the wood a bit. I see people with those horrible massive head bolts sticking all the way out tho and don't know how they do it. And yeah the reason i do it is because my bolts always come loose I don't do too many slappys my theory is because my feet are bigger than the average persons so when they hang over the sides (which is always) it's more sideways stress and i tend to under rotate stomp and then lean on a lot of stuff

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1454 on: July 27, 2022, 05:26:02 PM »
I just skated a Günes Magenta with no colored ply in the middle, and it was also trash.
Maybe different woodshop 'cause covid? Top and bottom were dark brown and I think it had the little dot/dent at the front holes.
It sure didn't feel like the bbs's I'm used to.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1455 on: July 27, 2022, 05:38:25 PM »
I recall hearing that some of the brands through Theories resorted to pressing their wood through Clutch/ASF during the COVID related shortages resulting from supply chain issues.
Might’ve got one of those.
I don’t mind Clutch wood (one of my current set-ups is Clutch,) but given my preference, I’d stand on top of BBS.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1456 on: July 27, 2022, 10:41:22 PM »
I just skated a Günes Magenta with no colored ply in the middle, and it was also trash.
Maybe different woodshop 'cause covid? Top and bottom were dark brown and I think it had the little dot/dent at the front holes.
It sure didn't feel like the bbs's I'm used to.

Still BBS but there have been a lot more questions about the quality of the average BBS deck since the pandemic too, so you guys are not alone in that regard.

Almost like they were pushing out too many and not having enough time to go through the full process, but that is all just what others have said before.

Curious though, to say the least.

El Freegano

« Reply #1457 on: July 28, 2022, 01:38:16 AM »
I also though that they could have used other woodshop because of the pandemic but there was a sticker made in mexico, that is typical for the bbs decks. I dunno what is it but the deck itself feels a bit softer than the bbs wood i am used to. I hope this years drops are better.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #1458 on: July 28, 2022, 02:26:22 PM »
Do the Adidas Nizza slip ons and low top lace have the same shape toe box? The slip on looks pointier

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1459 on: July 31, 2022, 06:38:59 AM »
What size trucks did guys on 9+" eggs in the early 90s ride?

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #1460 on: July 31, 2022, 06:56:52 AM »
I’ve skated three Magenta’s, all pre covid and years apart from one another, and it pains me to say this as they’re one of my favorite brands, but their boards were easily some of the worst I’ve ever skated in 30 years.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1461 on: July 31, 2022, 09:13:41 AM »
Why come that it takes me around 20 attempts to land a heelflip but the ones I land are mostly impeccable whereas I land almost every kickflip but most of them are ugly? How can I get heelflips consistently, I am despairing with this trick.
why come?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1462 on: July 31, 2022, 09:24:37 AM »
What size trucks did guys on 9+" eggs in the early 90s ride?

Mostly, our trucks that were narrower than the deck. Magic carpet was the name of the game. Check out old mags from that era. I never really thought about product that much back then but we were likely riding 149 equivalents, 159 at most.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #1463 on: July 31, 2022, 10:58:30 AM »
Why come that it takes me around 20 attempts to land a heelflip but the ones I land are mostly impeccable whereas I land almost every kickflip but most of them are ugly? How can I get heelflips consistently, I am despairing with this trick.

The trick tip section has some really talented posters, that can explain techniques lovely. I am not them.
Heelflips
Front foot perpendicular to the board toes hanging off, ball of foot to the edge of the deck, outside edge of the foot right below the front bolts.
Back foot, ball of foot in the heel side pocket, halfway ish up the tail.
Build tension diagonally before popping.
I look at the toe side pocket of the nose as I ollie.

I rarely mess with heelflips. I fuck with kickflips constantly. That I land heelflips at all makes me think I’m a natural heelflipper (not good at them at all mind you): why else would I be able to land heelflips, trying them some infrequently, and needing to warm up just so, have the planets in alignment for my oft practiced kickflips to come thru. Why. Whhhhyyyyyyyyyyy

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1464 on: July 31, 2022, 11:05:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The trick tip section has some really talented posters, that can explain techniques lovely. I am not them.
Heelflips
Front foot perpendicular to the board toes hanging off, ball of foot to the edge of the deck, outside edge of the foot right below the front bolts.

I rarely mess with heelflips. I fuck with kickflips constantly. That I land heelflips at all makes me think I’m a natural heelflipper (not good at them at all mind you): why else would I be able to land heelflips, trying them some infrequently, and needing to warm up just so, have the planets in alignment for my oft practiced kickflips to come thru. Why. Whhhhyyyyyyyyyyy

Have a gnar bruh. Back foot in the heel side pocket you say... sounds inconceivable but I'll give it a shot.
why come?

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #1465 on: July 31, 2022, 11:48:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Heelflips

[close]

Have a gnar bruh. Back foot in the heel side pocket you say... sounds inconceivable but I'll give it a shot.

Yeah that back foot position is the truth. You're almost making the board start to do a kickflip rotation (purely with that back foot positioning) to give your front foot some leverage to work with to spin it the other direction.

That's always my first tip... if it's still not working out my second tip is also for the back foot.

You know how you scoop the back tail for a pop-shuvit? Do like a small fraction of that scoop with your back foot (not enough for it to actually spin). It will keep the heelflip in position to land.

Hope that helps! Heelflips are shockingly a lot about mastering the back foot for me personally.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1466 on: July 31, 2022, 12:17:28 PM »
I’ve skated three Magenta’s, all pre covid and years apart from one another, and it pains me to say this as they’re one of my favorite brands, but their boards were easily some of the worst I’ve ever skated in 30 years.

Every Magenta I've had has sucked as well. I don't get it since it's the same shapes as other brands I like but I had their 8.4 and it was perhaps the worst feeling deck I can remember having. Just soggy from the start, flat, even sounded waterlogged. This was before Covid.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1467 on: August 01, 2022, 02:40:44 PM »
Anyone have any idea how to improve the pop on a setup that feels harder to pop than others? Is this something that risers can work for? Or is it possible that I have a truck/deck combo that is just going to kill my pop no matter what?

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #1468 on: August 01, 2022, 04:32:00 PM »
Anyone have any idea how to improve the pop on a setup that feels harder to pop than others? Is this something that risers can work for? Or is it possible that I have a truck/deck combo that is just going to kill my pop no matter what?
when you say harder to pop, do you mean that the tail feels heavy? (people tend to compare venture to indy; venture has a heavier pop feel & indy has a lighter pop feel). Risers would only make your pop feel even heavier since it would take more time for your tail to hit the ground. your possible solutions would be either to run smaller wheels, get hollow trucks, or keep your current truck/wheel combo and avoid the current deck/brand that's making it hard for you to pop

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1469 on: August 01, 2022, 06:04:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
when you say harder to pop, do you mean that the tail feels heavy? (people tend to compare venture to indy; venture has a heavier pop feel & indy has a lighter pop feel). Risers would only make your pop feel even heavier since it would take more time for your tail to hit the ground. your possible solutions would be either to run smaller wheels, get hollow trucks, or keep your current truck/wheel combo and avoid the current deck/brand that's making it hard for you to pop

It is usually the deck to truck ratio, mainly looking at the deck and where the deck bolt holes were drilled in relation to the kicks, so if they are too far into the kicks, everything is going to get really hard to pop, too much into the middle and the board is going to feel really light and almost too little pressure on the tail to make it do things.

Where the trucks come into this is where they offset the wheelbase, so a shorter wheelbase truck like Ace might make that board easier to skate, than say Ventures which extend the wheelbase the most.  Changing trucks alone may or may not help this at all, but if you are at all familiar with the "fingers of flat" method of PS Stix / Paul Schmitt, there is a direct relation between the ideal amount of space (about two fingers) from the deck bolt holes to the kick.  Too much and it will get really light, too little and it will get really heavy on not only the pop but on manuals and things like that too.