Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202149 times)

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1470 on: August 01, 2022, 10:01:00 PM »
anyone have some experience with 5boro decks, specifically curious what their shapes are like & if they happen to all be steep/mellow, full or what-have you. i like south central wood, so maybe it's just more of the same??

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1471 on: August 01, 2022, 11:49:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone have any idea how to improve the pop on a setup that feels harder to pop than others? Is this something that risers can work for? Or is it possible that I have a truck/deck combo that is just going to kill my pop no matter what?
[close]
when you say harder to pop, do you mean that the tail feels heavy? (people tend to compare venture to indy; venture has a heavier pop feel & indy has a lighter pop feel). Risers would only make your pop feel even heavier since it would take more time for your tail to hit the ground. your possible solutions would be either to run smaller wheels, get hollow trucks, or keep your current truck/wheel combo and avoid the current deck/brand that's making it hard for you to pop
[close]

It is usually the deck to truck ratio, mainly looking at the deck and where the deck bolt holes were drilled in relation to the kicks, so if they are too far into the kicks, everything is going to get really hard to pop, too much into the middle and the board is going to feel really light and almost too little pressure on the tail to make it do things.

Where the trucks come into this is where they offset the wheelbase, so a shorter wheelbase truck like Ace might make that board easier to skate, than say Ventures which extend the wheelbase the most.  Changing trucks alone may or may not help this at all, but if you are at all familiar with the "fingers of flat" method of PS Stix / Paul Schmitt, there is a direct relation between the ideal amount of space (about two fingers) from the deck bolt holes to the kick.  Too much and it will get really light, too little and it will get really heavy on not only the pop but on manuals and things like that too.

Yes to all of this.

I like a hefty pop feel and I skate Aces. With some decks no risers and 54 mm wheels it works fine but not always. Right now I’m skating a 8.75” Antihero and I didn’t like how it popped at all without risers with 54 mm wheels. I added 1/8” risers and it’s much better. Would probably like it even better with 56 or 58 mm wheels.

Going the other direction without changing trucks can be difficult if you already have small wheels and don’t use risers. I still have a set of Ace magnesium baseplates for boards that require that. Thankfully those don’t come up too often for me.

I still haven’t figured out how exactly assess how the deck would work & feel for me before setting it up. Too many variables: wheelbase, kick angles, fingers of flat…

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1472 on: August 02, 2022, 12:28:06 AM »
Whatever happened to Steven Reeves
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #1473 on: August 02, 2022, 06:43:39 AM »
anybody knows how long the carpet atiba 8.0 deck is? is it under 32? my girlfriend wants it but she's tiny so idk if it would work for her.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1474 on: August 02, 2022, 07:32:26 AM »
anybody knows how long the carpet atiba 8.0 deck is? is it under 32? my girlfriend wants it but she's tiny so idk if it would work for her.

i wanna say it's 31.75?

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #1475 on: August 03, 2022, 09:03:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone have any idea how to improve the pop on a setup that feels harder to pop than others? Is this something that risers can work for? Or is it possible that I have a truck/deck combo that is just going to kill my pop no matter what?
[close]
when you say harder to pop, do you mean that the tail feels heavy? (people tend to compare venture to indy; venture has a heavier pop feel & indy has a lighter pop feel). Risers would only make your pop feel even heavier since it would take more time for your tail to hit the ground. your possible solutions would be either to run smaller wheels, get hollow trucks, or keep your current truck/wheel combo and avoid the current deck/brand that's making it hard for you to pop
[close]

It is usually the deck to truck ratio, mainly looking at the deck and where the deck bolt holes were drilled in relation to the kicks, so if they are too far into the kicks, everything is going to get really hard to pop, too much into the middle and the board is going to feel really light and almost too little pressure on the tail to make it do things.

Where the trucks come into this is where they offset the wheelbase, so a shorter wheelbase truck like Ace might make that board easier to skate, than say Ventures which extend the wheelbase the most.  Changing trucks alone may or may not help this at all, but if you are at all familiar with the "fingers of flat" method of PS Stix / Paul Schmitt, there is a direct relation between the ideal amount of space (about two fingers) from the deck bolt holes to the kick.  Too much and it will get really light, too little and it will get really heavy on not only the pop but on manuals and things like that too.
[close]

Yes to all of this.

I like a hefty pop feel and I skate Aces. With some decks no risers and 54 mm wheels it works fine but not always. Right now I’m skating a 8.75” Antihero and I didn’t like how it popped at all without risers with 54 mm wheels. I added 1/8” risers and it’s much better. Would probably like it even better with 56 or 58 mm wheels.

Going the other direction without changing trucks can be difficult if you already have small wheels and don’t use risers. I still have a set of Ace magnesium baseplates for boards that require that. Thankfully those don’t come up too often for me.

I still haven’t figured out how exactly assess how the deck would work & feel for me before setting it up. Too many variables: wheelbase, kick angles, fingers of flat…

I assumed it was a geo problem which is why I asked about risers - never been sure if having the tail higher off the ground improved pop vs. lower to the ground, but I guess it all depends on the setup and varies greatly. Riding a Fancy Lad deck with short wb and short length with Film trucks right now and probably around 53mm Spits, was kind of a random setup I made out of shit my friend gave me, but I had one really great session on it where I was flinging flip tricks way easier than normal - next couple sessions after felt really off - hard to control (probably short wb problem) and felt really hard to get up in the air onto higher ledges with.

I'll check out the Schmitt thing next time I have it on hand, but might go ahead and just experiment with risers or different trucks to see if I can get back the magic of that first session, otherwise I'll just go back to my old setup.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1476 on: August 03, 2022, 09:07:32 AM »
I avoid drastic switches in gear for this reason I often have some weird anomaly session where I'm mostly mentally excited and have muscle memory from my old one then in 3 sessions that usually has subsided and I'm like WTF and find a bunch of shit I can't do.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1477 on: August 03, 2022, 09:19:28 AM »
Yo 90s guys what was the deal with the longboards in the mid 90s? Not like a sector 9 just a regular board that was 35 long or something. I think Fred gall skates one in timecode but it's kinda hard to tell. Was it just a dumb fad? (I'm guessing yes because it never came back) https://youtu.be/uSrKrJfPsI0

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1478 on: August 03, 2022, 09:47:48 AM »
anyone have some experience with 5boro decks, specifically curious what their shapes are like & if they happen to all be steep/mellow, full or what-have you. i like south central wood, so maybe it's just more of the same??

I love them. I’d say they’re medium through the middle, probably medium-steep kicks, too. The nose and tail feel very roomy and comfortable in terms of size, but the shape is more round than full or square. I ride the 8.25 often.

The Shred Shape is fun, too. Like a more compact Loveseat.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1479 on: August 03, 2022, 09:58:50 AM »
Yo 90s guys what was the deal with the longboards in the mid 90s? Not like a sector 9 just a regular board that was 35 long or something. I think Fred gall skates one in timecode but it's kinda hard to tell. Was it just a dumb fad? (I'm guessing yes because it never came back) https://youtu.be/uSrKrJfPsI0

I never saw a 35" long board but if so it was a cruiser. I remember buying the biggest deck I could find once which was an 8.25 Toy Machine fists deck that I don't think was over 32.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #1480 on: August 03, 2022, 10:23:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Yes to all of this.

[close]

I assumed it was a geo problem which is why I asked about risers - never been sure if having the tail higher off the ground improved pop vs. lower to the ground, but I guess it all depends on the setup and varies greatly. Riding a Fancy Lad deck with short wb and short length with Film trucks right now and probably around 53mm Spits, was kind of a random setup I made out of shit my friend gave me, but I had one really great session on it where I was flinging flip tricks way easier than normal - next couple sessions after felt really off - hard to control (probably short wb problem) and felt really hard to get up in the air onto higher ledges with.

I'll check out the Schmitt thing next time I have it on hand, but might go ahead and just experiment with risers or different trucks to see if I can get back the magic of that first session, otherwise I'll just go back to my old setup.

That sounds like it isn't actually hard to pop, but too easy to pop. Risers will help in this case

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #1481 on: August 03, 2022, 10:41:08 AM »
Since Primitive just dumped most of their stock of Franky boards does that mean his gonna leave Primitive to ride for Brick Underneath Skateboards?

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1482 on: August 03, 2022, 11:37:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I love them. I’d say they’re medium through the middle, probably medium-steep kicks, too. The nose and tail feel very roomy and comfortable in terms of size, but the shape is more round than full or square. I ride the 8.25 often.

The Shred Shape is fun, too. Like a more compact Loveseat.

rad,  thanks for the tip on the shred too

fred might be a special case, i wanna say its in his bobshirt interview that he mentions he did a bunch of psychedelics and ended up on a long ass board for a hot minute before having to size down during a comp or somethin? he didnt seem to imply its what others were doing at the time, but im workposting so i dont have the vid handy

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #1483 on: August 04, 2022, 03:26:40 AM »
I know it's not really shoes and gear but..
What would be good specs for a mini ramp ?
With good i mean, good for beginners but also for advanced skaters.
We managed to get the city to build a new park in my town.
They give us 650K €. At the moment we are planing everything and i think the park would benefit from a mini ramp.
Maybe with some extensions.

You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Bold

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1484 on: August 04, 2022, 03:39:22 AM »
Dwindle brands fingers of flat:
How do dwindle brands fingers of flat run? Are they consistent across the brands? How many fingers of flat do they have?

I like the single press idea and they do publish whether the kicks are mellow or steep for many of their boards but it doesn't look like they publish any info about the fingers of flat.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1485 on: August 04, 2022, 03:46:42 AM »
They give us 650K €. At the moment we are planing everything and i think the park would benefit from a mini ramp.
https://youtu.be/adYrtMpbVCo this is at Waterloo/Fernside Sydney. I loved this ramp I think it was about 4-5 feet high. Was enjoyed by beginners and skilled skaters. Has since been updated as a concrete ramp, but I'm assuming it's considerably more expensive. I think a bit of a trap people fall for is thinking catering to beginners means making tiny parks but usually they fucking suck and are barely fun for more than ten mins. https://youtu.be/91OahmsJVog (soz in advance if these vids are chat, I just skimmed the first ones that showed the ramps I'm thinking of) altho I think some places also go over the top with parks with too many little features and that's alsonot always as fun as just a regular functional ramp

vicious cycle

« Reply #1486 on: August 04, 2022, 03:54:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
https://youtu.be/adYrtMpbVCo this is at Waterloo/Fernside Sydney. I loved this ramp I think it was about 4-5 feet high. Was enjoyed by beginners and skilled skaters. Has since been updated as a concrete ramp, but I'm assuming it's considerably more expensive. I think a bit of a trap people fall for is thinking catering to beginners means making tiny parks but usually they fucking suck and are barely fun for more than ten mins.
Looks kinda perfect. I just got an email from the company that builds the park.
They think about a mini out of wood, 32 feet wide , 2,8 feet high with 2 extensions of 5 feet high..
Sounds kinda to low

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1487 on: August 04, 2022, 04:18:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
https://youtu.be/adYrtMpbVCo this is at Waterloo/Fernside Sydney. I loved this ramp I think it was about 4-5 feet high. Was enjoyed by beginners and skilled skaters. Has since been updated as a concrete ramp, but I'm assuming it's considerably more expensive. I think a bit of a trap people fall for is thinking catering to beginners means making tiny parks but usually they fucking suck and are barely fun for more than ten mins.
[close]
They think about a mini out of wood, 32 feet wide , 2,8 feet high with 2 extensions of 5 feet high..
Sounds kinda to low
I think that might be the upgraded concrete ramp (altho they said wood?) Altho I think even that is higher than 2.8 feet. But I'll be honest I don't tend to think in feet I remember the coping being around chest high when your on the flstbottom. https://youtu.be/yCcvwicw7qE at 1:30 looks kinda similar altho never been there

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #1488 on: August 04, 2022, 05:35:08 AM »

Thrasher put out plans for the perfect mini ramp, and that’s apparently what the locals here in Japan used to make the minis at the indoor park I go to.

And they really nailed the golden radius

You might be able to find them online with some searching
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 03:53:59 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

vicious cycle

« Reply #1489 on: August 04, 2022, 07:16:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thrasher put out plans for the perfect mini ramp, and that’s apparently what the locals here in Jaoaj used to make the minis at the indoor park I go to.

And they really nailed the golden radius

You might be able to find them online with some searching
Great tip man , thanks alot

vicious cycle

« Reply #1490 on: August 04, 2022, 07:27:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Sounds kinda to low
[close]
I think that might be the upgraded concrete ramp (altho they said wood?) Altho I think even that is higher than 2.8 feet. But I'll be honest I don't tend to think in feet I remember the coping being around chest high when your on the flstbottom. https://youtu.be/yCcvwicw7qE at 1:30 looks kinda similar altho never been there
Wood because it seems to be cheaper but I'm not so pleased with the idea. I don't know a wooden ramp that survived more than 5-6 years in the open .
The other thing is I have to plan this together with alot of skate dad's that don't skate by them self's but the little once do.. the want a "bowl" too. With a deepend of 135 cm ::) 

Bold

« Reply #1491 on: August 04, 2022, 07:30:29 AM »

I had a discussion about this recently. The consensus was 3-4' tall with transition radius that are 2x the height so 6-8'. 7 to 7.5' flat bottom.

vicious cycle

« Reply #1492 on: August 04, 2022, 12:33:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had a discussion about this recently. The consensus was 3-4' tall with transition radius that are 2x the height so 6-8'. 7 to 7.5' flat bottom.
Nice, thanks for that.
Did you build a ramp like this or do you have some kind of picture maybe?

Bold

« Reply #1493 on: August 04, 2022, 01:55:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Nice, thanks for that.
Did you build a ramp like this or do you have some kind of picture maybe?
No. It was just the results of discussing which ramps around the area are better than others and why.

There are a couple that were obviously built by construction guys with no clue about skating. 4ft radius, 4 ft of flat and about 2ft high. And crappy quality concrete. Wavy pours on the transitions. Very hard to skate.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1494 on: August 04, 2022, 09:59:59 PM »
Dwindle brands fingers of flat:
How do dwindle brands fingers of flat run? Are they consistent across the brands? How many fingers of flat do they have?

I like the single press idea and they do publish whether the kicks are mellow or steep for many of their boards but it doesn't look like they publish any info about the fingers of flat.

I feel like this has been asked before and the reply was that no company really outlines information on the amount of flat from bolts to kick, or as per PS Stix / Professor Schmitt, the "fingers of flat" but as far as most Dwindle boards, there is usually a moderate amount, which works well with their shapes, lengths and wheelbases.

Dwindle boards now seem to have mostly 14.25 wb on the 8.25 to 8.5 sized decks, which vary between 31.8 to 32.2 in length, or at least all the boards I have seen and had a stand on as well as other people's boards I have had a go on.

Overall they have a lot of stiffness and the concave and kicks are often a bit steeper on average than other brands, but after all that, it often comes down to which trucks you run and your own muscle memory too.

At least that is a start, but feel free to ask any more too, as needed.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1495 on: August 04, 2022, 10:12:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
This is at Waterloo/Fernside Sydney. I loved this ramp I think it was about 4-5 feet high. Was enjoyed by beginners and skilled skaters. Has since been updated as a concrete ramp, but I'm assuming it's considerably more expensive. I think a bit of a trap people fall for is thinking catering to beginners means making tiny parks but usually they fucking suck and are barely fun for more than ten mins.
[close]
Sounds kinda to low

I think the old Fernside / Waterloo ramp was 3.5 in the middle and 4.5 or so on the extension, but it has been too long since skating it anyway.

Measure heights of things, so 3 feet is just over waist high (90 cms) and 5 ft is about chest / shoulder high (150 cms) which could definitely work for everyone, with 6 ft being over head height for some people.

Overall width is the main thing.  Having a ramp that is not wide enough is a real pain, but having something that is proportional to the height and allows good lines is also something worth considering.

I think having the middle fairly wide with matching extensions on facing ends, one end taller or different to the other end, can really work, like a lop sided H shape, so middle 3 ft, one set of extensions at one end being 4 ft high, then the other set of extensions being 5 ft, so you can skate a 3 ft halfpipe, a 4 ft halfpipe or a 5 ft half pipe, or use the extensions to get a lot of speed to grind or slide across the lower middle section.

This is what I built in a shed and has been amazing fun.  My ramp is on the lower side, just to fit it in and be proportional to the shed dimensions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-YGWfbFeku/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #1496 on: August 04, 2022, 10:25:10 PM »
Is it normal that I have to rethread the axles every time I take of the wheels, e.g. for cleaning bearings?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1497 on: August 04, 2022, 10:53:18 PM »
Is it normal that I have to rethread the axles every time I take of the wheels, e.g. for cleaning bearings?

I guess it comes down to how many washers you have (or don't have) and where the nut sits on the axle, but also how much your axles get smashed when you skate.  If the axle nuts are in even half a thread the axle ends are definitely going to get more wear and need attention.

Personal preference, but I have two or three on the inside of each wheel and none on the outside between wheel and axle nut, nuts flush with axle ends and don't have any issues, but I had definitely had problems in the past when I had lost washers and didn't realise.  I do know some people who don't like washers at all and their axles are often so messed up any time they need to do something like change wheels or whatever that sometimes I almost give up trying to help them with washers and rethreading their axles, as well as new axle nuts every time.

One on each side, two on the inside or even three washers on each axle (however you want to configure them) and axle nuts flush on the ends pretty much prevent almost all axle wear issues, but if you are skating hard and always smashing those axle ends into the ground or other things, they will have more wear than others.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

klobynrenn

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1498 on: August 05, 2022, 05:25:35 AM »
Cutting the tongue centring straps on shoes - yay or nay? Got a couple pairs of NBs that are slightly too snug for my wide feet so was considering cutting out the elastic straps, but wasn’t sure if the results would be negligible. Also considered only cutting halfway through each strap in the hope it’d provide a bit more room without causing the tongue to slip around but again, don’t know if that would really make much difference

vicious cycle

« Reply #1499 on: August 05, 2022, 07:05:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
This is at Waterloo/Fernside Sydney. I loved this ramp I think it was about 4-5 feet high. Was enjoyed by beginners and skilled skaters. Has since been updated as a concrete ramp, but I'm assuming it's considerably more expensive. I think a bit of a trap people fall for is thinking catering to beginners means making tiny parks but usually they fucking suck and are barely fun for more than ten mins.
[close]
Sounds kinda to low
[close]

I think the old Fernside / Waterloo ramp was 3.5 in the middle and 4.5 or so on the extension, but it has been too long since skating it anyway.

Measure heights of things, so 3 feet is just over waist high (90 cms) and 5 ft is about chest / shoulder high (150 cms) which could definitely work for everyone, with 6 ft being over head height for some people.

Overall width is the main thing.  Having a ramp that is not wide enough is a real pain, but having something that is proportional to the height and allows good lines is also something worth considering.

I think having the middle fairly wide with matching extensions on facing ends, one end taller or different to the other end, can really work, like a lop sided H shape, so middle 3 ft, one set of extensions at one end being 4 ft high, then the other set of extensions being 5 ft, so you can skate a 3 ft halfpipe, a 4 ft halfpipe or a 5 ft half pipe, or use the extensions to get a lot of speed to grind or slide across the lower middle section.

This is what I built in a shed and has been amazing fun.  My ramp is on the lower side, just to fit it in and be proportional to the shed dimensions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-YGWfbFeku/
Thanks so much man, Amazing info and i really like your ramp.  Can I use your pic as an example to show the other guys ?