Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 221489 times)

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 202
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1830 on: October 13, 2022, 04:33:12 AM »
skated hi top cons for the first time today. laces blew almost instantly about halfway up the shoe. whats the best method to prevent laces from ripping? normally i dont really care and skate shoes with torn laces but i need to undo these pretty far to take them on/off
Use gorilla glue or shoe goo on the first 3 eyelets. That will prevent blowout and you will be able to get them on and off no problem.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 139
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1831 on: October 13, 2022, 08:58:26 AM »

I switched from some worn Spits F4 50mm conicals to some Spits F4 53mm lock-ins and I could suddenly ollie a bit higher.

Which is cool, but why? I don't understand the physics behind that. I always thought smaller wheels are easier to pop with because the way from the tail to the ground is shorter. Pretty confusing session yesterday and made me question a lot of things I thought I knew.

Sometimes new gear just feels and skates better. Your old wheels could be a little coned or have little chips or spots that make them not roll as great
[/quote]

Broke the quote but bigger wheels will make your board a bit steeper when popping, nothing major but definitely could be the difference you're feeling.

manysnakes

« Reply #1832 on: October 13, 2022, 09:29:20 AM »
How are trucks tightened at the factory? We often talk about stock tightness, but is there such a thing if some random dude is just turning a wrench?

“Stock tightness” is meaningless. The person in Taiwan who installs the nut is absolutely not tensioning your trucks with a torque wrench nor are they particularly concerned with out of the box performance. The best that may happen is that the pneumatic driver they use might be setup with approximately enough power to install the nut to the point where the Nyloc engages before it runs out of power.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #1833 on: October 13, 2022, 06:33:22 PM »
What's the easiest fastest way to get this stuff off without any liquid acid stuff?
I guess there's a reason I got these at 50% off…
File? Griptape? Anything else?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 319
« Reply #1834 on: October 13, 2022, 06:46:06 PM »
What's the easiest fastest way to get this stuff off without any liquid acid stuff?

Acetone.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1835 on: October 13, 2022, 07:11:55 PM »
My friends skate bones Swiss without shields all the time and don’t have any issue. They’ll maybe use speed cream if they’re feeling sluggish. They never seem to have any problem. Meanwhile it seems like if my board comes within 5 feet of any sort of dirt my bearings will seize up and get progressively worse until I clean them. To this day the fastest set of bearings I’ve ever had were these metal cage Lucky abec 1’s that came with this complete that I won from a Thrasher website trivia contest in 2006

It is more just a funny debate, but I have quite a few of the old Swiss and other sets of bearings without shields on setups for people to use at the indoor park and they usually roll fine, although a little slower on average.

Even some of the used sets of Swiss, I have cleaned, put shields back on and made them work again, which I use on my own setups too, but they are more the well used completes that I get out for people to try, or the older boards for spots or places I don't want to skate my normal boards.

At least on polished trucks, it is not too hard, but between a razor blade to scrape most of it off and then some steel wool or fine grade sand paper, used evenly over most of the face of the hanger, they come up looking very much like normal with no sign of the graphic or where you took it off either.

Did that with quite a few sale trucks lately, especially the plain finish with just a small amount of paint on them like those ones.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 46
« Reply #1836 on: October 13, 2022, 08:34:34 PM »

Brasso maybe? It's not acid but I've had decent luck with that.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1837 on: October 14, 2022, 12:55:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Brasso maybe? It's not acid but I've had decent luck with that.
I'd go with a solid slappy session on a crusty curb
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
« Reply #1838 on: October 14, 2022, 12:57:00 AM »
just leave it on the matisse pattern is sick and will look better once you get some nice grooves going

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #1839 on: October 14, 2022, 01:59:55 AM »
If you plan to grind them, problem solved. If not, get copers.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

manysnakes

« Reply #1840 on: October 14, 2022, 11:59:32 AM »
just leave it on the matisse pattern is sick and will look better once you get some nice grooves going

This is what I’d do. Frankly I think that’s already kinda cool and would look great after a few slappy sessions.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #1841 on: October 15, 2022, 07:56:21 AM »
do ya guys marry ur setup along with ur shoes? i personally find it weird to have a rotation of different shoes for a setup

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1842 on: October 15, 2022, 09:28:38 AM »
Acetone is not liquid acid, available at literally every drug store in the developed world. Takes about 20s to wipe that shit off. You can also take a razor and hold it perpendicular and move it back and forth and scrape it off. It's quite low quality paint and not super adhesive.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #1843 on: October 15, 2022, 09:31:18 AM »
Does gx1000 8.125 decks have the exact same shape as 8.125 quasi?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 667
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1844 on: October 15, 2022, 09:44:29 AM »

they should be the same

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1845 on: October 15, 2022, 10:00:35 AM »
Acetone is not liquid acid, available at literally every drug store in the developed world. Takes about 20s to wipe that shit off. You can also take a razor and hold it perpendicular and move it back and forth and scrape it off. It's quite low quality paint and not super adhesive.

I know, I basically just meant nothing liquid or anything I'd have to buy. I got it off with grip tape very quickly.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1846 on: October 15, 2022, 11:26:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they should be the same

Would be dope.
Anybody can confirm?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1847 on: October 15, 2022, 05:30:54 PM »
do ya guys marry ur setup along with ur shoes? i personally find it weird to have a rotation of different shoes for a setup

I do. I only skate one pair of shoes at a time. It throws me off if I switch them up. I’ll get shoes and they become chillers then when my skate shoes get bad chillers become skate shoes. Unless it’s a pair I’m just dying to skate. But I have a homie. Who always changes shoes and has a rotation of them. But he’s a lot more fashion conscious than I am so maybe that’s why.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1001
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1848 on: October 15, 2022, 06:37:20 PM »
Absolutely. I can’t skate more than one pair of shoes at a time. I’m not trying to go from cupsole to vulc back to cupsole over the course of 3 sessions. I’ll even skate shoes longer than I want to and just retire them with the deck if that’s still good. Can’t rotate shoes or skate new shoes with an old board
fuck you bama

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #1849 on: October 15, 2022, 08:23:06 PM »
Sometimes I do, but it depends on how much life is left on the board vs the shoes.

If the board goes first then I keep skating the shoes on a new board. In the meantime I break in new ones as chillers and swap to those ASAP while the board is still relatively new. Then I can retire the super worn shoes or keep them as reserves to skate on an old board if my main pair gets dust too quick.

If it's the other way around, I'm inclined to keep fresh shoes with fresh deck when the shoes go first and I keep the used deck as a spare for me or the homies. Unless, money is tight, then I'll power through until I can align board and shoes again
Super Champion Fun Zone

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #1850 on: October 16, 2022, 07:35:17 AM »
I've dreaded this day. As a young girl, my domineering skate dad would oft stand in my doorway at night and proclaim in a throaty whisper, “hellride ends at 30, my dear.” Of course, with the foolishness of youth I lived out my 20s carefree, purchasing any wheelbase and riding whatever duro wheels, all with healthy cartilage. Sure I struggled to afford Skate Mama's, or any pants which would fit over THESE Ishod-esque quads. But I could wake up every day and confidently say, “my pop will stay another year”.

And then.

On the eve of my 29th birthday, I flung off my Dunks into my pile of crumpled up beer bottles and cigarette packs, preparing for sleep, when the clock struck. Thirteen ominous times. DING. DING. DONG. A murder of crows landed on my windowsill, so many black beady eyes seeming to stare right into my very heart. Sleep that night was spasmodic, feverish even. When I awoke I knew something was different. I hoped on my board and suddenly desired Riptide bushings? I stared in the mirror which was sitting on three garbage bags in the corner, daddy's proclamation ringing in my ears. My hips were wider. Pins and needles sensations shot through my knees and my legs felt fatigued. I contracted... Jeff Dechesare's medical condition.

It’s been four years since that morning and I've gained 50 pounds. I’ve mostly skate titanium trucks from the shop in the rich part of town (which I live in) and incorporate exotic race car parts into my setups. Sometimes I still feel Animal Chin's presence while rolling around on my Powell Flight Deck. And yet I cannot control the ravaging of my madness. My fliptricks are unrecognizable, the locals call me the NFT expert (No Flip Tricks).

Tonight is the ceremony. I will bring all my kooky gear into the forest and set fire to it, and when the embers have subsided I will walk into that dark night and find a little cave to post on SLAP from. But before I go I must find a symmetrical egg with a 13.5" wheelbase x 8.75 width and where to purchase Pepper Galaxy griptape.

Please give me your best recommendations. I do not know how to use the internet.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1851 on: October 16, 2022, 10:09:38 AM »
New shoes, new deck is the worst combo. You guys do this intentionally?

I will set up a new deck a bit early if it seems that I’d have to change my shoes and the deck around the same time just to avoid having new shoes and deck at the same time.

I break in all my shoes just wearing them doing normal stuff other than skating but even then the first sessions on them will most likely not be very good. I hate new shoes.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1852 on: October 16, 2022, 01:39:36 PM »

I will set up a new deck a bit early if it seems that I’d have to change my shoes and the deck around the same time just to avoid having new shoes and deck at the same time.

I break in all my shoes just wearing them doing normal stuff other than skating but even then the first sessions on them will most likely not be very good. I hate new shoes.

100% agree with you. I hate new shoes, new decks and new trucks. New bearings and wheels are okay.
IG: @flowterspace

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1853 on: October 16, 2022, 02:58:31 PM »
Are the current off white 103 stf wheels just as hard and slippery as the super white ones back then?
Could get some 40% off and if they still are that slidey I absolutely need them.

I'm so incredibly sick of 99a stf, wasted my money on those. Stickiest wheels, don't do it.

(And yes I'd love to get F4 instead but it's just too expensive)

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #1854 on: October 16, 2022, 03:34:53 PM »

I prefer new shoes and new deck over new shoes on an old deck though
Super Champion Fun Zone

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1855 on: October 17, 2022, 02:02:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I prefer new shoes and new deck over new shoes on an old deck though
Same here. Only new thing that sucks are trucks
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #1856 on: October 17, 2022, 04:34:17 AM »
New deck new shoes = super grippy to the point I fall of the bloard because I kinda stick to it. I try to avoid it but more often then not, they coincide.

With all new stuff bar bearings I am super anxious I will loose all tricks, hence I buy multiple decks of the same shape and multiple pairs of the same shoes.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1857 on: October 17, 2022, 05:10:33 AM »
Few questions:

-Why are forward flips with my 8.25 AWS deck so much harder than with all decks I was skating before?
Probably cause it’s damn long compared to most other decks; right? Or you think it could be nose steepness related or something else?

-why the hell i was thinking nose and tailslides suck with thunders? I was getting rid of them because of that and now I’m back on them because my new ones broke and I’m doing the best nose and tail slides I’ve ever done.
I don’t get it. Last time I had them I got stuck so easy and now it’s completely gone.
I don’t think it’s wheels related. I had bones OG’s 53 mm 100A last time and now 54 mm /some orbs 99A cause they’ve been cheap.
Btw I had venture v hollows with bones 52 mm stf’s before. 103A and even with those I didn’t slide that good.

-pressure flips and truck/deck width differences.
I guess worst case for pressure flips of all kind are smaller trucks than deck, right? Would explain why they are so easy now again that I got down to an 8.125 from an 8.25 with 8“ trucks.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:07:41 AM by SlapMcKracken »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1574
« Reply #1858 on: October 17, 2022, 06:56:50 AM »
^ Smaller trucks than deck actually is the best case scenario for pressure flips, those work best by applying downward pressure exactly where the gap would be, the closer to the center of the board that happens the faster the flip. Those tricks mostly rely on instability of your set-up. But that's with loose trucks, if you have tight trucks and your technique on them is accurate enough then you'll make them work on a stable board anyway, mostly relying on the pop instead and then indeed, actually being in control might help.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #1859 on: October 17, 2022, 07:05:06 AM »
^ Smaller trucks than deck actually is the best case scenario for pressure flips, those work best by applying downward pressure exactly where the gap would be, the closer to the center of the board that happens the faster the flip. Those tricks mostly rely on instability of your set-up. But that's with loose trucks, if you have tight trucks and your technique on them is accurate enough then you'll make them work on a stable board anyway, mostly relying on the pop instead and then indeed, actually being in control might help.

Really? 

Then I don’t get it. Pressure flips are easy for me. Like first and almost every try, but I struggled with my last two decks heavy. Now they are back again. The way they pop now is completely different again.

I had ventures hollows before with 8.18 FA deck and alien 8.25.
Now 8.125 GX with thunders.
Difference like day and night.
Ventures with 8“ and 8.125 and I didn’t have problems with pressure flips.
Only with the 8.18 and 8.25

Oh and my thunders now are probably more lose than the ventures. But like I said 8“ venture + smaller deck and I didn’t have a problem, so it can’t be truck looseness