Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216558 times)

doublesteveburger

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3060 on: April 05, 2023, 02:04:30 PM »
does converse make a regular chuck 70 and a chuck 70 skate? just like how they have regular converse and cons CTS?

i've had two seperate pairs of chuck 70's and i don't know how mf bobby dekyzer can do what he does with these fucking dumbass shoes (that look great still tho)

sle_epy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #3061 on: April 05, 2023, 04:17:04 PM »
What's a good hollow replacement king pin for thunder trucks? The ones they come with are wildly short. I'd like to loosen my board up even more but the hardware literally unscrews itself!
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3062 on: April 05, 2023, 04:24:19 PM »
does converse make a regular chuck 70 and a chuck 70 skate? just like how they have regular converse and cons CTS?

i've had two seperate pairs of chuck 70's and i don't know how mf bobby dekyzer can do what he does with these fucking dumbass shoes (that look great still tho)

They don't

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3063 on: April 05, 2023, 04:26:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They don't

You gotta replace the stock insole it is a terrible foamy piece of shit.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #3064 on: April 05, 2023, 05:03:56 PM »

He looks very great and it’s almost annoying.
I got a pair of 70s last year for possibly this very reason, and loved them walking around, shit I even wore them roofing. First kickflip I was like ‘oh fuck no’…
Just hurt.

sle_epy

• Rep: -95
« Reply #3065 on: April 05, 2023, 05:06:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I got a pair of 70s last year for possibly this very reason, and loved them walking around, shit I even wore them roofing. First kickflip I was like ‘oh fuck no’…
Just hurt.

My friend skates in knock off cheap Chuck Taylors and she does drops and stuff. I don't know how her feet hold up.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3066 on: April 05, 2023, 05:24:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just hurt.
[close]

My friend skates in knock off cheap Chuck Taylors and she does drops and stuff. I don't know how her feet hold up.

I’m gonna guess and say that your friend isn’t a husky man, in his 40s.
And they are undoubtedly tougher than I (not much of an achievement, but worth noting).
Youth, relative, plays a big factor in my opinion, as far as the foot pain threshold goes. I’ve seen plenty of old fucks skating in converse, flimsy vans, the like, but few were doing tricks that pop.

I did get more used to the 70s and ended up
Skating them for a little bit and would recommend them, with the obvious caveat that they are not orthopedic, and are possibly unhealthy.
But. They look fantastic.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3067 on: April 05, 2023, 06:44:33 PM »
What's a good hollow replacement king pin for thunder trucks? The ones they come with are wildly short. I'd like to loosen my board up even more but the hardware literally unscrews itself!

Replacing kingpins is difficult and painful.

Using low head bushings or low top bushings are a much better option so you still get the kingpin clearance, the kingpin nut nicely on and enough turn.

Two options, either cut down the top bushing - usually cut a mm or two at most off the bottom of the bushing so it sits lower and you can still have the loose feeling, with the nut securely on, etc.

Venture have the new "loose truck conversion kit" of which people have taken and just used the top bushing, but it would still be easy to put those bushings in any truck.

I can also send you links to the "how to cut your bushings down" as well if you like.

It really does make a difference.

This post in the set up thread, with another person explaining how it works too:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=10804.msg3990471#msg3990471

Adding this here anyway:

The Venture "loose trucks conversion" kit has a low top bushing, so you can have the kingpin nut down a lot more and still have way more turn to the trucks, which is the idea behind the product / kit.  Indy and other brands have had this in the past, of which I bought a lot so I would never run out, but overall the use of low top bushings seems to have faded out with fewer low trucks on the market nowdays.

We used to cut down our top bushings (and still do in some cases) to give more clearance and or more turn and I definitely find the low heads on bushings a lot easier to use when trucks get well worn or I need a lower kingpin head.

For reference:

https://venturetrucks.net/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #3068 on: April 05, 2023, 06:49:21 PM »
anyone with experience ordering from Chicostix know if they supply griptape with each board ordered? they dont have any grip for sale on the website

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3069 on: April 05, 2023, 07:15:27 PM »
anyone with experience ordering from Chicostix know if they supply griptape with each board ordered? they dont have any grip for sale on the website

No grip was included for my Poets deck order.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3070 on: April 05, 2023, 07:34:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oooooh you got one? I am the biggest Gino Stan, and seeing him on that setup was too dope

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #3071 on: April 05, 2023, 08:36:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Using low head bushings or low top bushings are a much better option so you still get the kingpin clearance, the kingpin nut nicely on and enough turn.

Two options, either cut down the top bushing - usually cut a mm or two at most off the bottom of the bushing so it sits lower and you can still have the loose feeling, with the nut securely on, etc.

Venture have the new "loose truck conversion kit" of which people have taken and just used the top bushing, but it would still be easy to put those bushings in any truck.

I can also send you links to the "how to cut your bushings down" as well if you like.

This post in the set up thread, with another person explaining how it works too:

Adding this here anyway:

The Venture "loose trucks conversion" kit has a low top bushing, so you can have the kingpin nut down a lot more and still have way more turn to the trucks, which is the idea behind the product / kit.  Indy and other brands have had this in the past, of which I bought a lot so I would never run out, but overall the use of low top bushings seems to have faded out with fewer low trucks on the market nowdays.

We used to cut down our top bushings (and still do in some cases) to give more clearance and or more turn and I definitely find the low heads on bushings a lot easier to use when trucks get well worn or I need a lower kingpin head.

For reference:

I actually just take off the top bushing and it's worked great for me for years (I skate indys). I've seen other people do it to with other brands. I know Daewon does it. Frank Gerwer skates Thunders and does the low head bushings

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #3072 on: April 05, 2023, 08:46:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was looking at purchasing a Palace deck at my local, but then I checked the dimensions online and they seem pretty crazy to me. I usually ride anyting from 8.25 to 8.5, and I usually like the wheelbase anywhere between 14.25 and 14.5, although I've skated some that were 14.13 limosine that felt pretty good also.

But Palace are listed as 14.0 for 8.25 and 14.84 wheelbase for the 8.375, with a tiny nose (6.69) and tail (6.38)

That seems pretty wild to me, has anyone ever skated a deck with such a long wheelbase and short nose and tail? If so, let me know how that felt. I almost wanna try it out, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate it, so I probably won't.
[close]

Others have had it, some just gave it away, others drilled in the tail to make it a shorter wheelbase and better tail.  They also said the board is not as short as the specs say it is, but if you don't want to have to modify it, I would probably say it is not worth it.
[close]

Yeah, I'm not about to buy a deck to then have to drill it to make it skateable. I'm just gonna pass. I was just curious to know if anyone actually liked skating it, because to me these dimensions seem borderline blasphemous.
If you want to skate a palace that badly I think the 8.25 and 8.5 shapes are more normal dims. Idk why the 8.38 is so odd compared to the others

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3073 on: April 05, 2023, 11:08:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Oooooh you got one? I am the biggest Gino Stan, and seeing him on that setup was too dope

Yeah dude I think they still have them in stock, there is a 50% off deck code still floating around (CHICOSTIX50,)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #3074 on: April 06, 2023, 05:19:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have a set of bearings that I’ve been using for 4 months and they were pretty fast for most of that time but they are starting to slow down a bit. They sound good, free spin well, and aren’t dirty. Will cleaning them make a difference? Maybe just add a little oil? Or is it time for a new set? I’ve always been hard on bearings for whatever reason and usually would have cleaned bearings twice in this amount of time, but haven’t touched this set just in case maybe I was overdoing the maintenance in the past.
[close]

Depends how much you spent on them and how much time you want to spend cleaning.

Lazy like me - oil once, ride, and if they still suck just replace them with whatever is under $20 or on sale
Hardworking unlike me - clean them with alcohol, oil, and if they still suck just replace them with Bones Swiss
[close]

This is pretty much what I was thinking. They were about $35
If you're spending 35 bucks on bearings that you have to replace you might as well spend an extra 25 to 30 on swiss and just clean them every few months.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3075 on: April 06, 2023, 06:50:30 AM »
sounds like i need to try chuck 70s now  ;D

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3076 on: April 06, 2023, 06:55:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was looking at purchasing a Palace deck at my local, but then I checked the dimensions online and they seem pretty crazy to me. I usually ride anyting from 8.25 to 8.5, and I usually like the wheelbase anywhere between 14.25 and 14.5, although I've skated some that were 14.13 limosine that felt pretty good also.

But Palace are listed as 14.0 for 8.25 and 14.84 wheelbase for the 8.375, with a tiny nose (6.69) and tail (6.38)

That seems pretty wild to me, has anyone ever skated a deck with such a long wheelbase and short nose and tail? If so, let me know how that felt. I almost wanna try it out, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate it, so I probably won't.
[close]

Others have had it, some just gave it away, others drilled in the tail to make it a shorter wheelbase and better tail.  They also said the board is not as short as the specs say it is, but if you don't want to have to modify it, I would probably say it is not worth it.
[close]

Yeah, I'm not about to buy a deck to then have to drill it to make it skateable. I'm just gonna pass. I was just curious to know if anyone actually liked skating it, because to me these dimensions seem borderline blasphemous.
[close]
If you want to skate a palace that badly I think the 8.25 and 8.5 shapes are more normal dims. Idk why the 8.38 is so odd compared to the others

I think they have 2 8.25 shapes- one is a Puig often and has a 14.5. I think after that the shapes get even longer WB. I've always wondered about it too but they seem to sell well so people can't absolutely hate them.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #3077 on: April 06, 2023, 07:10:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just hurt.
[close]

[close]

I’m gonna guess and say that your friend isn’t a husky man, in his 40s.
And they are undoubtedly tougher than I (not much of an achievement, but worth noting).
Youth, relative, plays a big factor in my opinion, as far as the foot pain threshold goes. I’ve seen plenty of old fucks skating in converse, flimsy vans, the like, but few were doing tricks that pop.

I did get more used to the 70s and ended up
Skating them for a little bit and would recommend them, with the obvious caveat that they are not orthopedic, and are possibly unhealthy.
But. They look fantastic.

my buddy swears by them too but also said it's important to replace the sole

i've had both a chuck 70 hi and the low and both times they've felt so stiff and awkward when skating, great as just chillers tho

it IS a tougher canvas though i'll give them that, they're a canvas tank

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #3078 on: April 06, 2023, 10:17:13 AM »
I had no idea about Palace wheelbases, very interesting. I can go up and down in width but I want to live in the 14.75” zone.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #3079 on: April 06, 2023, 10:23:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have a set of bearings that I’ve been using for 4 months and they were pretty fast for most of that time but they are starting to slow down a bit. They sound good, free spin well, and aren’t dirty. Will cleaning them make a difference? Maybe just add a little oil? Or is it time for a new set? I’ve always been hard on bearings for whatever reason and usually would have cleaned bearings twice in this amount of time, but haven’t touched this set just in case maybe I was overdoing the maintenance in the past.
[close]

Depends how much you spent on them and how much time you want to spend cleaning.

Lazy like me - oil once, ride, and if they still suck just replace them with whatever is under $20 or on sale
Hardworking unlike me - clean them with alcohol, oil, and if they still suck just replace them with Bones Swiss
[close]

This is pretty much what I was thinking. They were about $35
[close]
If you're spending 35 bucks on bearings that you have to replace you might as well spend an extra 25 to 30 on swiss and just clean them every few months.

I put a drop of oil in without cleaning just to see if they were just a little dry and immediately could hear the grit inside. Once cleaned and re-oiled they’re as good as new. Just goes to show that a free-spin doesn’t mean shit.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #3080 on: April 06, 2023, 10:29:36 AM »
Any way to buy stock Indy bushings without buying a set of trucks?  After market bushings (sold by Indy) are opaque compared to the semi-translucent bushings that come with the truck.  I’ve noticed that they turn differently

I’ve noticed that for sure. Some local shops might have a stash of stock bushings that people have left behind when buying new Indy’s and immediately putting aftermarkets in. If not DLX Supercush 90a will feel the same if not closer and extra points for being the stock “clear orange “ color of your Indys.

eSK3

« Reply #3081 on: April 06, 2023, 02:40:40 PM »
Anyone who’s skated Air Force 1’s chime in on their experience. I always remember welsh in the white mids killing it.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
« Reply #3082 on: April 06, 2023, 05:04:26 PM »
Anyone who’s skated Air Force 1’s chime in on their experience. I always remember welsh in the white mids killing it.

I used to skate my chiller shoes AF-1s and they were legit. I wasn't knowledgeable about shoes back then, swapping between Ipath Cats and TNT 1s, but the AF-1s felt good to skate.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Adding this here anyway:

For reference:

[close]

I actually just take off the top bushing and it's worked great for me for years (I skate indys). I've seen other people do it to with other brands. I know Daewon does it. Frank Gerwer skates Thunders and does the low head bushings

Do you screw the nut down all the way to the hanger or just leave it loose with a gap between the nut and hanger?

I've been skating the same set of stock Indy bushings across two sets of trucks rather than trying to break in new ones... But yesterday, the top bushing in my R truck finally disintegrated. Feels pretty sweet to skate but it's too lose to pop on.

I'm not sure what i'm going to do here
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3083 on: April 06, 2023, 05:29:22 PM »

Benson, on here, maybe skated them.
Bobby Puleo skated them now (pretty much all the endorsement I need to want to skate them).
Cyrus did one of the best kickflips of all times in them, maybe in like 2017 or some shit…
And Gino had some clips. The fuckin nollie heel in 411 roomies was/is the shit
Anywaaaaaays…
In my experience, I have a tough time with them. I straight up miss the board attempting kickflips. It’s wild. They also rip, quickly, right at the toe seam (glue would help).
Air Forces are so weird for me, because they are really comfortable, but then I’m always trying to walk funny or whatever to not fry them, and then that’s uncomfortable. Even tho they’ve been around for ever, it’s kind of a youthful shoe (I know I know so and so has been in them for the last 40 years or whatever), and me, looking like a dad, but wearing some af1s, increases my self consciousness.

Real ones can skate em, I struggle

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #3084 on: April 06, 2023, 06:16:52 PM »
They always seemed way to thick……just get some dunks…

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3085 on: April 06, 2023, 07:19:47 PM »
Apologies if this has already been discussed previously, but since we’re on the topic of Nikes: how do we feel about the Court Vision in a skate context?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3086 on: April 06, 2023, 09:00:23 PM »

Were you just meaning the kingpin nut keeps coming off?  Can you just replace the kingpin nut first, but was there something else with your setup that was not working?

Even just leaving off the bottom washer on the bushings helps to loosen up trucks a whole lot without having to buy or cut anything or do much else and is super easy to try.

There are a couple of guys I know who can never seem to get their trucks right (always want them looser), but they often take off the metal washers more so than just go without a bushing entirely, which works and keeps things where they should be.

Running trucks without a top bushing might work for some, but that sort of setup comes with its own issues and sounds like something is just too loose to be good when messing around with that when we tried it.

Curious to see pics of the truck if you have any.

I've been skating the same set of stock Indy bushings across two sets of trucks rather than trying to break in new ones... But yesterday, the top bushing in my R truck finally disintegrated. Feels pretty sweet to skate but it's too lose to pop on.

I'm not sure what i'm going to do here

Depending on how you like your trucks, you can always put just the spare top bushing in the front, then the old bushing on the rear truck so it is not so much of a change right up.

I have come back to the stock Indy bushings with a new view of them in recent years.  Sure they used to be terrible back in the day, but now they seem really good and usually feel pretty good after one or two mellow sessions.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 02:27:38 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #3087 on: April 06, 2023, 10:51:51 PM »
Spent ten minutes of my life painfully cranking a bearing out of a wheel and pondered: What‘s a good bearing remover tool or method?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #3088 on: April 06, 2023, 11:06:06 PM »
Spent ten minutes of my life painfully cranking a bearing out of a wheel and pondered: What‘s a good bearing remover tool or method?

I usually just use the side of my axles. Get the bearing in on the tip and pry it out in an angle. There probably is a better alternative but it seems to work for me.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #3089 on: April 06, 2023, 11:23:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I usually just use the side of my axles. Get the bearing in on the tip and pry it out in an angle. There probably is a better alternative but it seems to work for me.
My trick is put the wheel on the floor with your heels on either side and get the biggest Allen key that will fit into the bearing and just lever it out.