Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216514 times)

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3090 on: April 07, 2023, 01:31:05 AM »
Have PS boards gone up in price worldwide or is this solely an EU/UK thing? In the last year or so I'd noticed certain brands prices were going up pretty quick into the £70/80 mark (from the usually £65 point American brands would retail for), just checked again and FA/GX boards are up even higher - I also just remembered the shop is running 20% off for 20 years in business, which makes the actual pricing £120.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3091 on: April 07, 2023, 02:36:39 AM »
Spent ten minutes of my life painfully cranking a bearing out of a wheel and pondered: What‘s a good bearing remover tool or method?

Some bearings really get stuck in there, especially if it has been a while or they wheels are older.

I found that if I can move the bearing a little sideways, then drip some lube or something in the gap, lever it back the other way and do the same to the other side if the first drop doesn't help a whole lot and they often slip right out after a couple more left and right motions.

Using the truck axle is often easiest, but holding it down and prying with a screwdriver in a moderate size works well enough too, especially if you have just dripped lube or something in there.

Bones has a bearing puller tool, but it will still not come out easily if the bearing is solidly stuck in there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3092 on: April 07, 2023, 02:41:23 AM »
Have PS boards gone up in price worldwide or is this solely an EU/UK thing? In the last year or so I'd noticed certain brands prices were going up pretty quick into the £70/80 mark (from the usually £65 point American brands would retail for), just checked again and FA/GX boards are up even higher - I also just remembered the shop is running 20% off for 20 years in business, which makes the actual pricing £120.

I feel like a lot of board brands have gone up a whole lot, some more than others, but I also think it has a lot to do with the distribution companies, as some distros have had to up prices due to various things, least of all production costs going up, but also a lot to do with shipping costs, which for some products from some countries to others, especially USA to other areas of the world, those shipping containers have almost doubled in price, so everything has gone up a bit more each step which then means that the shop will also have to double the increases.

Even just $1 per board at the start of the chain, could mean that board could be up $20 or $30 at the retail end.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #3093 on: April 07, 2023, 05:03:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel like a lot of board brands have gone up a whole lot, some more than others, but I also think it has a lot to do with the distribution companies, as some distros have had to up prices due to various things, least of all production costs going up, but also a lot to do with shipping costs, which for some products from some countries to others, especially USA to other areas of the world, those shipping containers have almost doubled in price, so everything has gone up a bit more each step which then means that the shop will also have to double the increases.

Even just $1 per board at the start of the chain, could mean that board could be up $20 or $30 at the retail end.

what Mbrimson says
BUT some brands, Baker and FA/Hockey to name a few, seem to have just decided to rise their prices for no reason (in a setup where the distro argument doesn't apply), except building hype and make people believe their products are of higher quality

Sidenote 1: shipping containers prices are now almost back to precovid prices
Sidenote 2: GX1000 are still made by PS but Hockey / FA are now BBS made

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #3094 on: April 07, 2023, 05:32:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

what Mbrimson says
BUT some brands, Baker and FA/Hockey to name a few, seem to have just decided to rise their prices for no reason (in a setup where the distro argument doesn't apply), except building hype and make people believe their products are of higher quality

Way cheaper at Focus if your in the UK.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3095 on: April 07, 2023, 05:48:13 AM »
these ones are from previous drops before the price increase (in France these were 80€, the last 2 or 3 drops are around 100€)

manysnakes

« Reply #3096 on: April 07, 2023, 06:34:03 AM »
Spent ten minutes of my life painfully cranking a bearing out of a wheel and pondered: What‘s a good bearing remover tool or method?

I don’t actually use this tool, but as someone who used to pull and install bearings professionally, something like this works as I would want. Personally I just use the little bearing pull/press nub on my shitty old skate tool.

https://a.co/d/gXio162

Removing a bearing from a skateboard wheel is always going to suck because there’s not really a great way to brace the wheel while you do the tugging. I suppose you could fabricate something pretty easily but I’m the kind of nerd who would do that and it’s too much work even for me.

roll_dog

« Reply #3097 on: April 07, 2023, 06:45:09 AM »
I'm still waking up but has no one recommended a bearing press? The opposite side of the press has a puller tool that works great as long as you don't have spacers which you shouldn't anyways. Seriously the tool pays itself off.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #3098 on: April 07, 2023, 10:52:35 AM »

Bought one of these awhile back.  Worth it's weight in gold.  I can change full sets of bearings and wheels out in minutes, plus way better for your bearings, and probably wheels too.

https://www.amazon.com/Amphetamine-Bearing-Puller-Longboard-Skateboard/dp/B0754VFKRV

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
« Reply #3099 on: April 07, 2023, 11:07:29 AM »
Bearing presses are great. If you want one that's portable and doesn't have to be mounted down, Suregrip sells one.

https://www.suregrip.com/product-p/sgb.htm

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #3100 on: April 07, 2023, 02:45:01 PM »
I‘ve been ogling those, 60 bucks seems a bit steep but the again, thinking back to the frustrating process yesterday I might as well cop one.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #3101 on: April 07, 2023, 02:47:00 PM »
I‘ve been ogling those, 60 bucks seems a bit steep but the again, thinking back to the frustrating process yesterday I might as well cop one.

For real I thought the same thing and put off buying one for years.  You change one set of wheels out with them and you'll curse all the time you spent cranking em out using the end of your trucks and pressing em in the same way.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3102 on: April 07, 2023, 05:45:36 PM »

Interesting about the shipping containers.

I wonder if there is still a significant back log as some distros here have been waiting for shipments from China for a long time for their basic products, blank decks and grip and all that sort of stuff.

That is different to all the usual skate distros based in USA or elsewhere though.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3103 on: April 07, 2023, 06:30:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wonder if there is still a significant back log as some distros here have been waiting for shipments from China for a long time for their basic products, blank decks and grip and all that sort of stuff.

That is different to all the usual skate distros based in USA or elsewhere though.

A couple thoughts:

-We know the skate industry had been artificially keeping board prices locked for a long time in spite of rising costs. Essentially, brands were eating margin because the market wouldn't "support" higher prices. Covid gave them the opportunity to raise prices finally because demand was high and supply was low. I think in the short term there will be a lot of sales because most companies and shops over-ordered with super long lead times, and now demand has cratered. HOWEVER, you can't put the genie back in the bottle and I expect boards will stay above $65-70usd once the market stabilizes.

-I can confirm that container costs from Asia are back at or near pre-covid pricing.

-I can't speak to the skate industry, but in my industry while factories are back open and working at capacity, and global shipping prices are still down, there's still a significant backlog on certain products because of really specific, minute shortages. Specifically, I know there are thousands of bicycles waiting for a specific brake model that Shimano can't produce (as an example). There could be a comparable issue somewhere in the skate supply chain, but I think it's less likely.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #3104 on: April 07, 2023, 10:30:29 PM »
Can you use a rub brick in the rain or would it be pointless/less effective? Kinda wanna get going on a spot but keeps raining. If it is fine to do though it should be less dusty I would imagine.

BL0B

• Rep: 420
« Reply #3105 on: April 07, 2023, 11:05:47 PM »
i would think you could, that would be nice cause it would knock the dust down.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3106 on: April 08, 2023, 01:23:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

someone mentionned (in a dwindle thread) that some containers weren't moving because dwindle / protec couldn't pay for customs. The money flow is bad at the moment. "Distros waiting for shipments" could mean distros don't have money to free these shipments (and they already have stacks of boards that don't move)

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3107 on: April 08, 2023, 01:28:14 AM »
Can you use a rub brick in the rain or would it be pointless/less effective? Kinda wanna get going on a spot but keeps raining. If it is fine to do though it should be less dusty I would imagine.
you'll probably need to push harder to make it rub (it's going to be slightly lubricated by water)
It might grind less but it should still work
you might get a rusted bolt in the end though

less dust is great

Health message: be careful while dry rubbing, don't breath concrete dust / wear a mask

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3108 on: April 08, 2023, 02:27:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

someone mentionned (in a dwindle thread) that some containers weren't moving because dwindle / protec couldn't pay for customs. The money flow is bad at the moment. "Distros waiting for shipments" could mean distros don't have money to free these shipments (and they already have stacks of boards that don't move)

Ha yeah, the old "Shipping container is still yet to come in" ruse when in fact they just can't pay their bill.

I wouldn't doubt it with some of the companies, given there are so many difficulties right now, cash flow being a big one.

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
« Reply #3109 on: April 08, 2023, 03:50:29 AM »
Does anyone know the exact length and wb of 8 inch Tightbooth decks? also what concave and kicks thay have?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3110 on: April 08, 2023, 04:52:08 AM »
Does anyone know the exact length and wb of 8 inch Tightbooth decks? also what concave and kicks thay have?
i have some at the shop, i'll report back later

Edit: measurements taken on this one: https://shop.tightbooth.com/?pid=167846933

Length: 80,1cm / 31,5"
Wheelbase: 35,5cm / a hair under 14"

Steep kicks / high concave (dwindle like)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 07:33:16 AM by BALARGUE »

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
« Reply #3111 on: April 08, 2023, 12:20:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i have some at the shop, i'll report back later

Edit: measurements taken on this one: https://shop.tightbooth.com/?pid=167846933

Length: 80,1cm / 31,5"
Wheelbase: 35,5cm / a hair under 14"

Steep kicks / high concave (dwindle like)
Merci Beaucoup! :)

doublesteveburger

« Reply #3112 on: April 10, 2023, 09:13:36 AM »
kind of a random one but does anyone experience stick with blank/wood grain only decks? it might be obvious but is it because a graphic provides more slideability?

was so ready to fall in love with just ordering blanks but holy shit getting pitched from a slide is like... i dunno, top 5 worst types of pitches

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • Get bent
« Reply #3113 on: April 10, 2023, 01:26:44 PM »
kind of a random one but does anyone experience stick with blank/wood grain only decks? it might be obvious but is it because a graphic provides more slideability?

was so ready to fall in love with just ordering blanks but holy shit getting pitched from a slide is like... i dunno, top 5 worst types of pitches

NASCAR nose is the solution, throw some stickers on there and get ready to slide
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3114 on: April 10, 2023, 03:04:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

NASCAR nose is the solution, throw some stickers on there and get ready to slide
a long time ago i had a doomsayers board which i decided to throw on this huge grimple stix sticker to cover the entire middle section of the board. I was hyped on how it turned out but man it was soo slick. it threw off front disasters on transition for a good while

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3115 on: April 10, 2023, 03:14:42 PM »
Do different colored wheels have different properties? i know most of us don’t fuck with colorful wheels but was eying up a set of black formula 4’s and it got me wondering

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3116 on: April 10, 2023, 03:53:56 PM »
Do different colored wheels have different properties? i know most of us don’t fuck with colorful wheels but was eying up a set of black formula 4’s and it got me wondering

Once it did - others have said different dyes cause different things to wheels from back in the day, but nowdays I think there are no differences really between them, but that still might be more brand specific than anything else.

I have had quite a few different coloured Formula Four wheels going (mostly on the loan boards, or setup on boards for others) and they still skate the same as the natural ones, so I would say at least Spitfire don't change in that regard.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #3117 on: April 10, 2023, 04:10:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Once it did - others have said different dyes cause different things to wheels from back in the day, but nowdays I think there are no differences really between them, but that still might be more brand specific than anything else.

I have had quite a few different coloured Formula Four wheels going (mostly on the loan boards, or setup on boards for others) and they still skate the same as the natural ones, so I would say at least Spitfire don't change in that regard.
Can confirm regarding F4s w/ the personal anecdote that I frequently run one odd (color) wheel & they all always ride & slide the same, as well as wear evenly, regardless of their pigmentation or lack their of. 
No noticeable diff for me.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3118 on: April 10, 2023, 04:24:19 PM »
I see that lbskate.com is selling blanks and I assume theyre clutch but does anyone know what shape they are? Cant tell from the photos on the site. Im hoping for the O shape decks.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3119 on: April 10, 2023, 08:10:39 PM »
I see that lbskate.com is selling blanks and I assume theyre clutch but does anyone know what shape they are? Cant tell from the photos on the site. Im hoping for the O shape decks.

https://lbskate.com/collections/decks-1/products/blank-assorted-stain-skateboard-deck

Even when the pics are blown right up (and they are pretty good) there are no markings on either pic, but they look like they have swapped images over between top and bottom as well, same shadow and reused maybe stock pics, just to get a general stain colour more than anything else.

The stains do not look like the usual Clutch boards, maybe BBS but more like some of the unknown boards from China, so who knows, apart from someone / anyone either messaging them and getting a response or buying one to see what they are like.

Some other very random sellers on ebay a while back had almost identical images to those, for which they were saying all kinds of things about the boards - best wood on the market, same as those used by all the top brands and all that, but they turned out to be simple, decent quality but very much no name boards from China, concave very similar to but not the same as Dwindle and slightly thinner ply layers, just top and bottom stains only.

Another one that would be interesting to see what they were, or where they were from.