Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216703 times)

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3120 on: April 11, 2023, 03:40:25 AM »
I’m wanting to say PS Stix based off of the description of their shop decks on their Instagram page. Here’s the link if you want to dm:

https://instagram.com/lbskateco?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #3121 on: April 12, 2023, 12:42:51 PM »
Did Stevie Williams skate Indys late 90‘s?
The sixth sense part let’s me think that cause of the stickers on his deck

eSK3

« Reply #3122 on: April 12, 2023, 02:14:39 PM »
So many slap heads skating HUGE boards, do y’all flip your board at all or just doing slappies all day?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #3123 on: April 12, 2023, 03:14:58 PM »
Did Stevie Williams skate Indys late 90‘s?
The sixth sense part let’s me think that cause of the stickers on his deck

Like a lot of folks in this era, he switched it up. Alot of his fit credo part is on indys. He made some comment I remember reading along the lines of ‘Indy’s got that pop, and then I learned to get the pop with ventures’ (not at all a quote, very loosely paraphrased.

So, yes, he did

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3124 on: April 12, 2023, 04:43:04 PM »
So many slap heads skating HUGE boards, do y’all flip your board at all or just doing slappies all day?

Both

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #3125 on: April 12, 2023, 05:03:21 PM »
Read this in Ice-T’s voice: That is top secret, home boy.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #3126 on: April 12, 2023, 05:14:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Both

I’ll add I’m a fucking geriatric and can flip a 10.25 deck still. If you can’t there’s something wrong with you.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #3127 on: April 13, 2023, 02:29:52 PM »
Best wheels for a slick outdoor park?
Skating 99ers F4 classics for the first time and when I land, for example, a backside flip and drag the deck around the last 70 degrees it feels so strange and uncontrolled coming from 103 A stf‘s and even 99A orbs.

roll_dog

« Reply #3128 on: April 13, 2023, 03:54:54 PM »
Skating 99ers F4 classics for the first time and when I land, for example, a backside flip and drag the deck around the last 70 degrees it feels so strange and uncontrolled coming from 103 A stf‘s and even 99A orbs.

Bones SPF 81b

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #3129 on: April 13, 2023, 04:17:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Both
[close]

I’ll add I’m a fucking geriatric and can flip a 10.25 deck still. If you can’t there’s something wrong with you.

agree 🔥🔥🔥

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3130 on: April 14, 2023, 05:16:31 AM »
Does Nike sb blazers run TTS?

I'm 44,5 (11US) in last resorts, think I was 44,5(11us) in vans old schools too. 45(11,5) in the tiago New Balance

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 316
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3131 on: April 14, 2023, 11:44:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bones SPF 81b
I've heard good things about those wheels for slick parks ^
Interesting that you say the F4's feel more uncontrolled than the 103 stf's. Once F4's came out, I haven't looked back. stf's just feel plasticky and super hard to me. I think you'll eventually get used to the formula, but if your outdoor park is pretty slick. It may be worthwhile to check out the spf formula or skate less harder wheels?

Does Nike sb blazers run TTS?

I'm 44,5 (11US) in last resorts, think I was 44,5(11us) in vans old schools too. 45(11,5) in the tiago New Balance
Blazers run tts

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #3132 on: April 15, 2023, 02:43:00 PM »
Assuming I have 99a 54.5 mm v5 bones stf wheels and I really want them to be 52 mm.
How long do I have to go full chad caruso in order to get them down to that? Is that even feasible?

I have so many wheels but they're all either 49 or 54+. Need some inbetween ones but there's no way I'm gonna buy even more wheels

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3133 on: April 15, 2023, 08:18:27 PM »
Do any of you break boards more with specific brands of tricks? I've broken 6-7 decks on Indy's and one on thunder in the last few years doing nothing different on either set.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #3134 on: April 15, 2023, 09:14:16 PM »
Do any of you break boards more with specific brands of tricks? I've broken 6-7 decks on Indy's and one on thunder in the last few years doing nothing different on either set.

Same set of Indy's the whole time? Could be the baseplate on that set has a sharp edge. Round it off with sandpaper, less likely to snap along the baseplate edge.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3135 on: April 15, 2023, 11:50:06 PM »
Assuming I have 99a 54.5 mm v5 bones stf wheels and I really want them to be 52 mm.
How long do I have to go full chad caruso in order to get them down to that? Is that even feasible?

I have so many wheels but they're all either 49 or 54+. Need some inbetween ones but there's no way I'm gonna buy even more wheels

A lathe is a great way to get wheels down to whatever size you want, but almost no one has access to one.

An angle grinder is way easier to get and to use, but also very easy to mess up, but it is not hard to take wheels down with one, either riding surface or reshape the sides too.  Try on some older wheels first, just to get the hang of it - wheels on the board, board on its back, angle grinder working at an angle over the wheel, making the bearings scream but wearing away the urethane.  Don't forget to wear a mask.

As to actually skating them down, if you find the most rough concrete surface that you can really carve across and put pressure on the wheels, like an old bowl to tear around, that is maybe the best way to wear them down naturally, but it does take a while to do it.

Also finding some decent smoothish or new road on a bit of a hill you can power slide down can also take them down a mm or so but you gotta be pretty on it and go fast and slide as far as you can without having the wheels just get eaten (flatspot) by the road surface.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #3136 on: April 16, 2023, 06:18:26 AM »
Yes. I break boards almost exclusively on indy forged.
I didn't broke a single one on royals. But this could just be because I got more time on Indy's as on the Royals so...
But I never broke a new board in the first session on Royals, on Indy's my record is 3 boards on one day.
And yes I rounded the edge of the baseplates.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3137 on: April 16, 2023, 07:18:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same set of Indy's the whole time? Could be the baseplate on that set has a sharp edge. Round it off with sandpaper, less likely to snap along the baseplate edge.

I think I broke one with forged, the others cast. I did round off the baseplates after the first 2. 2 were a DLX 8.38, 1 Alltimers 8.5, 1 Killing Floor 8.38, and I forget the last one. They were all last Spring-Fall so I wondered if it was something with the boards or glue. 2 broke first session, another within a week, and 4 broke on fakie tricks

manysnakes

« Reply #3138 on: April 16, 2023, 08:44:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just setup a new deck and used my grinder wheel to buff down the sharp edges on my trucks created by nose and tail slides.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 318
« Reply #3139 on: April 16, 2023, 10:59:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I just setup a new deck and used my grinder wheel to buff down the sharp edges on my trucks created by nose and tail slides.

Nose/tail slides on angle iron will wreck forged baseplates. I file the underside flat again.

I haven't broken many boards on the outside of the baseplate like that though.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3140 on: April 16, 2023, 06:58:07 PM »

The last pic of this post = champion effort with the baseplate rounding.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #3141 on: April 17, 2023, 04:47:56 AM »
Do you think there’s anything that works better on an 8“ deck than on an 8.25?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3142 on: April 17, 2023, 06:40:10 AM »
Do you think there’s anything that works better on an 8“ deck than on an 8.25?

that is hardly even a different size. I would say thats just purely preference.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Both
[close]

[close]

agree 🔥🔥🔥

Franky Villani skates 9.125" and he does insane stuff on it. Seems like he actually prefers this size to skate on which is kind of wild. I skate his board and I definintely find it harder than skating a normal sized popsicle, but not that much.

Was thinking a lot about how Ben De Gros says like "this truck pairs well with this board" but I kinda think that is also a preference thing. I see where he is coming from, he often says he likes Steeper Kicks with Higher Trucks, and Flatter Kicks with Lower Trucks. I think having the opposite would make more sense personally - but that is just how I feel. I would want steeper kicks to accomodate for having to pop so much harder on the lower trucks, and I would want flatter kicks on the higher trucks because you already have a lot of pop anyway because its so high up. I think the idea is so you dont get ghost pop as easy so thats why he lieks it the opposite way. but if you get used to it, it would have advantages.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #3143 on: April 18, 2023, 11:30:17 AM »
Any boards out now with a shape similar to the Blind FUK series?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #3144 on: April 18, 2023, 12:29:19 PM »
I'm thinking of griptape alternatives..
My son basically boogie boards with his skateboard, and lying down on griptape really fucks up his clothes. Not to mention the poor guys face when he trips on it.
I could just set up a board with no griptape, but knowing me I'd want to fuck around on his board sometimes. And he will eventually want to start standing up and trying tricks.
Should I just order a sheet of rubber grip, or do you guys have any ideas for alternatives?

Little follow-up, went with the yoga mat. Could have used a sharper knife to cut it.
Did one for myself aswell.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3145 on: April 18, 2023, 04:27:13 PM »
Any boards out now with a shape similar to the Blind FUK series?

They were the 9" eggy shapes, some with short 14" or so wheelbases?

Dwindle / Blind did a couple more runs of those shapes on more generic graphics, which may still be around.

That series is Impersonator so google that and quite a few come up.

Example:

https://blindskateboards.com/products/blind-sora-reaper-impersonator-r7-9-4-skateboard-deck

https://www.skateconnection.com.au/collections/blind-skateboards/products/blind-reaper-impersonator-jake-ilardi-deck-96

https://www.skateconnection.com.au/products/blind-reaper-impersonator-cody-mcentire-deck-90

Apart from that, the Egg shaped boards thread might have some more that you might like:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=100279.2100

Hope that helps.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
« Reply #3146 on: April 18, 2023, 09:09:50 PM »
What's the best way to cover up holes from rail screws aside from just slapping stickers over them?

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 101
« Reply #3147 on: April 18, 2023, 09:32:33 PM »
Expand Quote
My son basically boogie boards with his skateboard, and lying down on griptape really fucks up his clothes. Not to mention the poor guys face when he trips on it.
I could just set up a board with no griptape, but knowing me I'd want to fuck around on his board sometimes. And he will eventually want to start standing up and trying tricks.
Should I just order a sheet of rubber grip, or do you guys have any ideas for alternatives?
[close]

Little follow-up, went with the yoga mat. Could have used a sharper knife to cut it.

Looks good!  What did you use to make it stick? My kid is almost that age

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #3148 on: April 18, 2023, 10:28:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Just regular glue.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • Get bent
« Reply #3149 on: April 19, 2023, 09:29:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Just regular glue.

This is a good idea, my kid has already graduated to standing and stuff being as he is 10 now, but this would have saved me some heat from my Baby momma for sure, I’ve also seen that Lucas Puig has a new board company he started with lil riders in mind, they use cork grip on top though I wanna say they are called like mimmo boards or something like that, that may be another worthwhile grip alternative for kids
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog