Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 202013 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3360 on: May 20, 2023, 07:06:06 AM »
Do Ace Classics and AF-1s use the same bushing? I could measure but I don’t want to disassemble my trucks to do so.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #3361 on: May 20, 2023, 07:15:04 AM »
Do Ace Classics and AF-1s use the same bushing? I could measure but I don’t want to disassemble my trucks to do so.
Yes, measurements are exactly the same. Actual urethane might be different, but feels the same to me

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #3362 on: May 20, 2023, 09:51:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yes, measurements are exactly the same. Actual urethane might be different, but feels the same to me

Thank you. I wonder about the urethane because my Classic bushings outlasted my axled Classic trucks, but the bushings on my AF-1s are shredded after a year of fairly minimal skating. It doesn’t make any sense that they’d change them though, so I assume it’s just a fluke, or else rotten luck.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #3363 on: May 20, 2023, 10:24:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thank you. I wonder about the urethane because my Classic bushings outlasted my axled Classic trucks, but the bushings on my AF-1s are shredded after a year of fairly minimal skating. It doesn’t make any sense that they’d change them though, so I assume it’s just a fluke, or else rotten luck.

Maybe because of the different washers on af1 and classics? Now that you said it I've actually had the same experience. My af1 top bushing looks pretty shredded (but still works perfectly fine) and the classic top looks good

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #3364 on: May 20, 2023, 02:09:41 PM »

The heights are the same, but the AF1 bushings are a narrower diameter at the top. Thats why they feel a little more wild out of the box than Classics, but it wears ’em out faster, too.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3365 on: May 21, 2023, 04:47:37 AM »
@Mbrimson88  bro you're such a resource, great to have you on the boards!

Just stoked to have somewhere I can "be helpful" with regard to skateboarding, because I probably talk the ear off anyone I see in person, always about skateboards and have had to lay off the coffee a bit more than I might like when I am out and about in the real world in the past.

Happy to be on a skateboard just as much too, for that matter.

:)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

newguy

« Reply #3366 on: May 21, 2023, 05:43:08 AM »
Yall know how to resole old jordans? I bought Jordan 6 olympics for cheap and the left sole is unfortunately crumbling, I'm thinking of looking around for shoe people near me to restore them, is that even possible?

Basingstoke

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3367 on: May 21, 2023, 05:58:45 AM »
Has anyone tried the Foundation boards labelled as Mellow Concave, what wood shop do you think is being used and how short is the Wheelbase?

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #3368 on: May 21, 2023, 07:41:02 AM »
does anyone know the wheelbases on rassvet boards? particularly the 8.125” shape? wanna get it, but not if it’s some like 14.38” WB.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3369 on: May 21, 2023, 08:27:35 AM »
Has anyone tried the Foundation boards labelled as Mellow Concave, what wood shop do you think is being used and how short is the Wheelbase?

Hit or miss, I think the team boards are from China, pro boards from PS Stix last I saw in store a few months back.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BrknBrds

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3370 on: May 21, 2023, 05:27:38 PM »
Skate Team Question : Do any particular shoe brands prefer skaters from the same board teams?

I noticed Vans has a good amount of FA/Hockey   & Quasi guys and Nike has a good chunk of April team members.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3371 on: May 21, 2023, 05:30:31 PM »
Skate Team Question : Do any particular shoe brands prefer skaters from the same board teams?

I noticed Vans has a good amount of FA/Hockey   & Quasi guys and Nike has a good chunk of April team members.
Yes, the team managers have friends.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3372 on: May 21, 2023, 08:17:07 PM »
does anyone know the wheelbases on rassvet boards? particularly the 8.125” shape? wanna get it, but not if it’s some like 14.38” WB.

Not sure how current this is but I was surprised it came up as almost the first search response:

https://lofistore.com.au/collections/rassvet/products/sun-collage-deck

Sun Collage Deck, Pink
Rassvet / Decks
- 8.125" x 32.25"
- Wheelbase: 14.125"
- Nose: 7.125"
- Tail: 6.75"
- Comes with free Mob Grip
- Manufactured by PS Stix

* The board in that pic looks really square, but I also thought, being PS Stix, it wouldn't be as long as 32.25 and could come out more in the 31.8 to 32 overall length when measured flat across the board.

Other sizes with all the info:

https://lofistore.com.au/products/sun-collage-deck-blue

Sun Collage Deck, Blue
Rassvet / Decks
- 8.25" x 32.25"

https://lofistore.com.au/products/sun-collage-deck-black

Sun Collage Deck, Green
Rassvet / Decks
- 8.5" x 32.375"
- Wheelbase: 14.25"

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 08:29:07 PM by Mbrimson88 »

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #3373 on: May 22, 2023, 01:02:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Also, Baker and Vans have a lot of riders on each other's teams: before and after Reynolds joining Vans, so that's another one.

There's been numerous"image associations" that we've seen over the years. Some brand/distribution based and others image. Some are also heavily on the friends connection like @Mbrimson88 pointed out

Plan B x Etnies or DC
Consolidated x anything not corporate
Hockey/FA x Vans or Nike
Polar x Nike or Cons
Baker or Deathwish x Emerica
Primitive x Nike
April x Nike
Mystery/Zero x Fallen or Circa
Colours Collective (Concrete Visionary brands) x FP Footwear (shoes & insoles)
Toy Machine x Emerica
Quasi x Vans (formerly Huf was pretty associated)
Crailtap x Lakai or Nike (in later years)

Those are just some I've noticed

Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3374 on: May 22, 2023, 02:55:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Also, Baker and Vans have a lot of riders on each other's teams: before and after Reynolds joining Vans, so that's another one.

There's been numerous"image associations" that we've seen over the years. Some brand/distribution based and others image. Some are also heavily on the friends connection like @Mbrimson88 pointed out

@Firebert is the man there, I think, not me.  :)

Definitely a lot of mates / friends / distribution relationships often just having team managers in the same place as the rest of the team being enough to get a dude on.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #3375 on: May 22, 2023, 09:29:34 AM »
recommendations for a good quality re-threading tool not specific to skateboarding?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3376 on: May 22, 2023, 11:30:11 AM »
What is your budget? Most Ace Hardware stores carry decent Irwin re-threading dyes. Make sure to get something with a handle and use it in a vice.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3377 on: May 22, 2023, 12:09:15 PM »
What is your budget? Most Ace Hardware stores carry decent Irwin re-threading dyes. Make sure to get something with a handle and use it in a vice.

I was hoping for a one piece tool, but yeah I’m mostly seeing kits out therein the 50$ range. I was hoping for something like 20$ but willing to pay up for something decent I can add to my regular tool kit. I can get a new set of trucks for the price of
One of those kits, but I love my grooves so much right now.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #3378 on: May 22, 2023, 12:26:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was hoping for a one piece tool, but yeah I’m mostly seeing kits out therein the 50$ range. I was hoping for something like 20$ but willing to pay up for something decent I can add to my regular tool kit. I can get a new set of trucks for the price of
One of those kits, but I love my grooves so much right now.

I just searched “rethread kit” on duck duck go and multiple sub 30 U$D kits popped up. Just sayin
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #3379 on: May 22, 2023, 01:22:03 PM »
recommendations for a good quality re-threading tool not specific to skateboarding?

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #3380 on: May 22, 2023, 01:23:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not sure how current this is but I was surprised it came up as almost the first search response:

https://lofistore.com.au/collections/rassvet/products/sun-collage-deck

Sun Collage Deck, Pink
Rassvet / Decks
- 8.125" x 32.25"

* The board in that pic looks really square, but I also thought, being PS Stix, it wouldn't be as long as 32.25 and could come out more in the 31.8 to 32 overall length when measured flat across the board.

Other sizes with all the info:

https://lofistore.com.au/products/sun-collage-deck-blue

Sun Collage Deck, Blue
Rassvet / Decks
- 8.25" x 32.25"

https://lofistore.com.au/products/sun-collage-deck-black

Sun Collage Deck, Green
Rassvet / Decks
- 8.5" x 32.375"
- Wheelbase: 14.25"

thank you brother! really appreciate that! probably will be a purchase soon.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3381 on: May 22, 2023, 01:33:09 PM »
Bob Otis is going for emergency heart surgery. How does this happen to someone who doesn't eat meat?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3382 on: May 22, 2023, 01:58:34 PM »
Thanks for the answers regarding the re-threader. I will probably get one of those kits so I can learn how to use it.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #3383 on: May 23, 2023, 03:44:26 AM »
Yall know how to resole old jordans? I bought Jordan 6 olympics for cheap and the left sole is unfortunately crumbling, I'm thinking of looking around for shoe people near me to restore them, is that even possible?

https://grailify.com/en/7-sick-sole-swaps-you-need-to-see

This is an old article, so not sure if any of the spots/people mentioned are still doing it, but worth a try I suppose? My homie who was heavily into the resale market said there are a few consignment shops that do sole swaps but it's not cheap. Might not be worth the price unless one has sentimental attachment to the kicks.

edit: If you do a google search for "sole swap" there may be places geographically close to you that pop up.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

newguy

« Reply #3384 on: May 23, 2023, 11:05:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://grailify.com/en/7-sick-sole-swaps-you-need-to-see

This is an old article, so not sure if any of the spots/people mentioned are still doing it, but worth a try I suppose? My homie who was heavily into the resale market said there are a few consignment shops that do sole swaps but it's not cheap. Might not be worth the price unless one has sentimental attachment to the kicks.

edit: If you do a google search for "sole swap" there may be places geographically close to you that pop up.

Hah yeah I've wanted jordan 6s since I was twelve so I really want to keep them wearable for as long as I can, thanks for the link i'll check it out

TonySquared

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3385 on: May 23, 2023, 01:01:40 PM »
im sure this has been asked in here 1000 times but does anyone have any recommendations on twin nose boards or boards with a wider tail?

im getting back into skating after 11ish years and im 6’6 and have a size 13 shoe. i already feel too big for my 8.5 shop deck. i have a 8.5 hockey deck given to me by a friend that im about to set up today so we’ll see how that goes.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #3386 on: May 23, 2023, 01:05:50 PM »
im sure this has been asked in here 1000 times but does anyone have any recommendations on twin nose boards or boards with a wider tail?

im getting back into skating after 11ish years and im 6’6 and have a size 13 shoe. i already feel too big for my 8.5 shop deck. i have a 8.5 hockey deck given to me by a friend that im about to set up today so we’ll see how that goes.

I'm also a 13 and I picked up a Hockey 8.75 and I've been really enjoying it. Big Square nose but it also has a really full tail, much fuller than the 8.5 shape. I also tried the 8.8 BA shape but it was too long

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3387 on: May 23, 2023, 03:59:15 PM »
Are thunder and Indy pivot cups the same size? Cant measure until I’m home from work, but I need to order a new set

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3388 on: May 23, 2023, 04:56:32 PM »
Are thunder and Indy pivot cups the same size? Cant measure until I’m home from work, but I need to order a new set

The generic pivot cups that come from some suppliers do fit both the same.

Some listed as Thunder (from DLX) will fit Indy, Thunder, Venture and some other brands I have used them in too.

Guessing the Indy pivot cups will also fit straight in any of those brands too, but I haven't ordered any recently.

TonySquared

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3389 on: May 23, 2023, 08:17:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm also a 13 and I picked up a Hockey 8.75 and I've been really enjoying it. Big Square nose but it also has a really full tail, much fuller than the 8.5 shape. I also tried the 8.8 BA shape but it was too long

i skated the hockey deck today and i actually really liked it. tail is pretty big, and yeah ive been actually thinking about going up to something like a 9 but that might be a bit much.