Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216716 times)

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3810 on: August 18, 2023, 02:13:41 AM »
I don't have any acetone to clean my bearings, can i use vodka?

If you don't drink the vodka from the bearing seat ring after cleaning then you're a puss
Super Champion Fun Zone

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -315
« Reply #3811 on: August 18, 2023, 06:02:48 AM »
I don't have any acetone to clean my bearings, can i use vodka?

Unless it’s everclear vodka is still mostly water so it won’t really dissolve the lube. Buy some 60-70% rubbing alcohol from the drugstore

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #3812 on: August 19, 2023, 06:10:53 PM »
is it a pain in the ass to polish raw trucks? (kader ventures)

If not, whats the best way to do it

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3813 on: August 19, 2023, 06:32:19 PM »

If you have the right gear, it is not too hard at all, but if you are doing it with minimal tools or DIY type situation it could be more trouble than it is worth.

I do recall someone using grip tape offcuts, then steel wool in both coarse and fine grades and they came up looking pretty amazing, but that was a while ago on a set of older trucks, so I don't quite know how well something like the new Kader trucks would come up.

That method also works for bringing up old trucks you want to look like new, which I have done quite a few times on a variety of trucks, not so much to get them to a clean polished look but they sure are shiny enough, when compared to what they were before.

People who have a cut and polish type setup for cars or similar could do it easily enough - that brush disc that goes on the end of a drill and the right ingredients make it happen with way less effort / elbow grease.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #3814 on: August 19, 2023, 11:05:50 PM »

If you want them to come out smooth and shine like chrome. Yes. HUGE pita.
If you want shiny pitted, not too bad but still involves lots of wet sanding and compounding.
You have access to a bench buffer? If you’re trying with just a drill it’s gonna take a quite a bit of time.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #3815 on: August 20, 2023, 09:54:12 AM »
sounds like im gonna be running the raws lol thanks guys

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 79
« Reply #3816 on: August 20, 2023, 10:12:09 AM »
Anyone else have issues with ordering directly from Sci-Fi Fantasy? I ordered the Glick 8.38 board on their website on August 11. Haven’t received any tracking or shipping info. I’ve emailed them twice and sent a DM after waiting a week as well. I want to support them, but this is just ridiculous.

MC3

• Rep: 139
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #3817 on: August 20, 2023, 11:56:33 AM »
anyone skated non-sb dunks?
(Cool Trick GIF)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3818 on: August 20, 2023, 12:29:28 PM »
Anyone else have issues with ordering directly from Sci-Fi Fantasy? I ordered the Glick 8.38 board on their website on August 11. Haven’t received any tracking or shipping info. I’ve emailed them twice and sent a DM after waiting a week as well. I want to support them, but this is just ridiculous.

Nope, every time my items have shipped same day and been here within a few days.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #3819 on: August 21, 2023, 01:16:04 AM »
anyone skated non-sb dunks?

I've seen a bunch of people speak of skating non sb dunks on here
Apparently not good insoles or comfortable,
 ill let someone with experience possibly answer your question or try search button

Speaking of search function couldn't find much info on Fastbreak insoles
Are they decent?   

Those of you have skate Fastbreaks are the stock  ???insole  a keeper or you swapping em out ?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #3820 on: August 21, 2023, 06:19:24 AM »
Are squeaky trucks simply inevitable? I recently tried the trick I’ve heard of shaving a bit of wax into your pivot cup/waxing the section of your truck that goes into the pivot cup, and it worked really well for about a day. Even waxed the kingpin a lil bit in case it was the bushings. Am I missing a step or is this just always a thing?

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #3821 on: August 21, 2023, 06:48:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nope, every time my items have shipped same day and been here within a few days.
That bums me out even more. As I said, I’ve reached out at least 4 times at this point and have been essentially ghosted by them. I’d happily buy the board from a skate shop instead of direct so he doesn’t have to deal with it, but I can’t even get a response.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3822 on: August 21, 2023, 07:22:54 AM »
Are squeaky trucks simply inevitable? I recently tried the trick I’ve heard of shaving a bit of wax into your pivot cup/waxing the section of your truck that goes into the pivot cup, and it worked really well for about a day. Even waxed the kingpin a lil bit in case it was the bushings. Am I missing a step or is this just always a thing?

I noticed the set of Ace trucks i got had a huge clump of goo on them and they are not squeaky at all

Pretty sure someone told me it is just silicone grease. reading the use is o-ring applications, that seems like it would be a good fit with rubber pivot cup + steel hangar.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3823 on: August 21, 2023, 10:07:37 AM »

A tiny amount of lithium grease has always worked really well for me. Some people use motor oil but that kinda splooges out. I tried graphite and that was shitty and messy as hell.

I find that in colder temps I get more squeaks and creaks especially with Thunders for some reason. I put the lithium on the bushings and pivot cups right when I get the trucks and then periodically usually when cleaning my bearings every 4-6mo.

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #3824 on: August 21, 2023, 11:03:01 AM »
Finally heard back from Sci-Fi and got everything fixed. Board is on the way.

Gandito405

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3825 on: August 22, 2023, 01:23:01 PM »
does anyone know how to rotate spitfire lock ins?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3826 on: August 22, 2023, 03:22:41 PM »
does anyone know how to rotate spitfire lock ins?

You can still turn them the other way, as I have done this and it worked in the past, but as they are the two different edge wheels, some people are a little hesitant to do that, or I would turn them all inside, or it would mess with my head.

The outside edge is a Conical Full shape and the inside is more of a Tablet, only now the newer ones (which I haven't seen) seem to have a more rounded edge on them than the older ones.

People have skated them either way in the past and not had issues, so if you start to have unhappy moments with the asymmetry, or the front toe wearing down a lot more, just check which ever wheel has the least wear and swap that over for the one with the most wear, then swap over the other two to even it up.

This was the full "How to rotate wheels" info I posted as well:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120185.msg4066367#msg4066367

DERBY

• Rep: 274
« Reply #3827 on: August 23, 2023, 09:11:56 AM »
what the fuck does vans decon mean? deconstructed?

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
« Reply #3828 on: August 23, 2023, 09:18:41 AM »
Yup, I think that's exactly what that means. Seems to be slimmed down versions of popular models. I know that the Crockett High Decon has no padding in the collar and tongue, and a one piece toe cap instead of the standard double stitched toe.

DERBY

• Rep: 274
« Reply #3829 on: August 23, 2023, 11:21:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yup, I think that's exactly what that means. Seems to be slimmed down versions of popular models. I know that the Crockett High Decon has no padding in the collar and tongue, and a one piece toe cap instead of the standard double stitched toe.

ooo word thank you

Schinken

• Rep: 69
« Reply #3830 on: August 25, 2023, 02:14:24 AM »
Anyone tried one of those nhs vx everslick decks?
I expect them to be quite heavy and strange feeling

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3831 on: August 25, 2023, 04:53:15 AM »

I hadn't heard of a VX with everslick so had to look it up.  Interesting to see, so without ever seeing one, let alone riding one, I have this to add, same comments from Tom Asta on his video about it, which I just watched (and linked below) so sure he gets them for free, but he gives a pretty good review on them, initially at about 3:00 and then at 13:30 or so.

I have seen and skated a VX board which is thinner and lighter.  Also seen and skated a normal board with everslick bottom, which is thicker and heavier.  To have everslick on a VX board, it combines the lighter board with the slide of the slick layer to make what some people might call the best of both.

Not one to believe everything I see and read, or ever really think I want one, so take the rest of this how you will, but at least there is more info here from both the video and from the NHS site, marketing blurb and all, etc.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/8-0in-x-31-6in-japanese-morph-dot-vx-everslick-santa-cruz-skateboard-deck

VX Everslick combines 2 proven technology constructions into one with the strength and pop of VX and the fastest sliding slick material on the market - Everslick.

VX Everslick features 5 plies of North American Maple and 2 layers of Quad X technology with a layer of Everslick material on the bottom. Thinner, stronger, and more pop than standard 7 ply decks with proprietary slick material that slides on almost any surface and features a unique graphic application that yields bright colors and high contrast graphics that look great longer.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #3832 on: August 25, 2023, 06:18:36 AM »
Are slightly bent trucks super bad for bearings or does it not matter? Thinking about trying out bones swiss for the first time, but my trucks are bent and I'm gonna keep riding them for some time.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3833 on: August 25, 2023, 07:24:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hadn't heard of a VX with everslick so had to look it up.  Interesting to see, so without ever seeing one, let alone riding one, I have this to add, same comments from Tom Asta on his video about it, which I just watched (and linked below) so sure he gets them for free, but he gives a pretty good review on them, initially at about 3:00 and then at 13:30 or so.

I have seen and skated a VX board which is thinner and lighter.  Also seen and skated a normal board with everslick bottom, which is thicker and heavier.  To have everslick on a VX board, it combines the lighter board with the slide of the slick layer to make what some people might call the best of both.

Not one to believe everything I see and read, or ever really think I want one, so take the rest of this how you will, but at least there is more info here from both the video and from the NHS site, marketing blurb and all, etc.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/8-0in-x-31-6in-japanese-morph-dot-vx-everslick-santa-cruz-skateboard-deck

VX Everslick combines 2 proven technology constructions into one with the strength and pop of VX and the fastest sliding slick material on the market - Everslick.

VX Everslick features 5 plies of North American Maple and 2 layers of Quad X technology with a layer of Everslick material on the bottom. Thinner, stronger, and more pop than standard 7 ply decks with proprietary slick material that slides on almost any surface and features a unique graphic application that yields bright colors and high contrast graphics that look great longer.

do you think those boards would be allowed to be manufactured in north america? or perhaps a better question is would it be heavily taxed because of all the chemicals they need to use to make those? Similar to why we don't see vulcanized shoes being made here.

Kaezan

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3834 on: August 25, 2023, 08:06:21 AM »
Had a question about Indy stock bushings.

Anyone know if the different color stock bushings are all the same durometer?

The orange one I know is like 90A, but for example, on the trucks below, they have different colors. Usually the black one is the really hard bushing and the white one is very soft (when bought as replacement bushings). Just trying to figure out if I need to buy a seperate set or if they would be same durometer as the orange ones.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/stage-11-forged-hollow-btg-summit-silver-black-standard-skateboard-trucks-independent?utm_source=independenttrucks.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=product-shop&utm_content=Stage%2011%20Forged%20Hollow%20BTG%20Summit%20Silver%20Black%20%20Skateboard%20Trucks

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/stage-11-forged-hollow-slayer-black-standard-independent-skateboard-trucks?utm_source=independenttrucks.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=product-shop&utm_content=Stage%2011%20Forged%20Hollow%20Slayer%20Black%20%20Skateboard%20Trucks

Also, anyone ever ride a full black truck before like the Indy above? Do they grind any different due to the paint? Thanks!

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 773
« Reply #3835 on: August 25, 2023, 09:31:49 AM »

The orange one I know is like 90A, but for example, on the trucks below, they have different colors. Usually the black one is the really hard bushing and the white one is very soft (when bought as replacement bushings). Just trying to figure out if I need to buy a seperate set or if they would be same durometer as the orange ones.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/stage-11-forged-hollow-btg-summit-silver-black-standard-skateboard-trucks-independent?utm_source=independenttrucks.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=product-shop&utm_content=Stage%2011%20Forged%20Hollow%20BTG%20Summit%20Silver%20Black%20%20Skateboard%20Trucks

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products/stage-11-forged-hollow-slayer-black-standard-independent-skateboard-trucks?utm_source=independenttrucks.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=product-shop&utm_content=Stage%2011%20Forged%20Hollow%20Slayer%20Black%20%20Skateboard%20Trucks

Also, anyone ever ride a full black truck before like the Indy above? Do they grind any different due to the paint? Thanks!

Bushings that come with the trucks will be 90a regardless of color.

I haven't found paint to affect grind at all.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3836 on: August 25, 2023, 11:32:47 AM »
Color of bushings is 100% linked to durometer for Independent. Always. Stock or aftermarket bushings. 100% of my personal purchases have confirmed this and I've only skated Indys for the last 13 years.

Orange 90A is the standard default bushing for most of Indy's models, but they occasionally throw red (88A), white (78A), or black (94A) depending on the pro/theme of the truck.

Both of your linked trucks will not be 90A stock if they come in those colors, as far as I'm aware.

I've gotten white bushings stock on AVE trucks years ago and they were noticeably softer because they were truly 78A and not 90A.

If you want 90A durometer, buy a set of bushings on the side to be sure. Avoid the red ones, they try to be softer but end up being less forgiving, ironically. I like the conical aftermarket personally.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3837 on: August 25, 2023, 04:27:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bushings that come with the trucks will be 90a regardless of color.

I haven't found paint to affect grind at all.

As per what Indy say about their stock bushings, +1 for stock bushings regardless of colour are all 90 duro, but that is not to say that all bushings feel or perform the same, as some have felt a bit stiffer, some felt a bit more squishy, even though they still came up as the same duro with the gauge.

Had a lot of Indy trucks come through my hands, often the pro colourways or different colab versions with orange, white, black, burgundy red and other coloured bushings and skated most of them / feel them out on people's boards and they are very different to the after market bushings that you can buy, even the orange stock are different to the orange after market bushings, as others have said on here in the past too.

Also have all the after market bushings too and have them in boards for people to try, or to put on their own boards, and none of them feel the same as the stock bushings, which is interesting, to say the least.

In the past some people have often swapped out the stock bushings for others right away, as the stock bushings used to be pretty weird, but now they are pretty decent if you like medium to loose feeling trucks right from go.  Stock bushings even from a few years ago felt way more firm than the current stock bushings now, so I think they have upgraded the bushing formula at some point, maybe when they went to 100% China production or something.

Different paint and other things don't matter to the feel of the truck, as the paint comes right off as soon as the truck comes in contact with anything that you grind or slide on, but it is more personal preference than anything.  I know some people that will not touch a painted truck, not even painted baseplate, for whatever reason, so either factory paint or DIY paint jobs still skated the same to me.

*  Sorry that was probably rambling a lot, but Indy are the main trucks I skate and have way too many boards with many different options, new and used, older and current stock.

FunnyBunny

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3838 on: August 25, 2023, 08:18:29 PM »
Anyone know anything about Opus shoes?  Just curious, can’t find much in terms of posts here, insta or even their website.  Anyone skated them?  Or know about a team?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3839 on: August 26, 2023, 01:26:04 AM »
Anyone know anything about Opus shoes?  Just curious, can’t find much in terms of posts here, insta or even their website.  Anyone skated them?  Or know about a team?

They're brand new, so there's not much floating around. They're already in a number of shops and seem to be decently made.

David Tofighi on Insta posts a good chunk about the Opis shoes
Super Champion Fun Zone