Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216643 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4230 on: November 15, 2023, 06:30:47 AM »
I don't want to try the KSL. When I really love them, the shoe will be discontinued. These Half Cab's won't work for my foot shape. Maybe I try some 306 again in a few weeks. Or anyone might have recommendations for a wide, round cupsole toe box?
IG: @flowterspace

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4231 on: November 15, 2023, 07:04:25 AM »
I liked the Busenitz and i have pretty wide toes
i had 3x pair of the 306 i just find they dont last and they are hard to find under $90 where I can find Vans, Cons, Nikes even for like $55
I just got GT Blazers for $55 (old ones not the new ones, lows with camo) and they feel absolutely amazing on my feet
I am trying Asics JAPAN S next

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #4232 on: November 15, 2023, 07:12:04 AM »
here’s the thing tho: your half cabs look better than the other shoes mentioned.
i am still continuing to harm my feet by skating in some 92 uprise vans, because they look nice from the top.
the fit on my half cabs is weird: toe box feels great, nice and wide, but i can almost lose the whole shoe, when pushing. i’ve got wide metatarsal’s, narrow heels. the narrow heel thing always had me going for nikes, and dunks fit the best probably, but i’m just tired of looking at them.

i’ve probably chastised you before: but wear your shoes bigger, rather than smaller. or fuck up your feet. you can ease into it by wearing thicker socks . just get used to swimming. (this is just an opinion, probably not even a good one).

i don’t know what vans is doing but they need to get their shit together.
this is making me want to try cons and i do not remember how the one stars ctas 70s are sized and now i gotta drive somewhere and try on everything.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4233 on: November 15, 2023, 07:35:41 AM »
here’s the thing tho: your half cabs look better than the other shoes mentioned.
i am still continuing to harm my feet by skating in some 92 uprise vans, because they look nice from the top.
the fit on my half cabs is weird: toe box feels great, nice and wide, but i can almost lose the whole shoe, when pushing. i’ve got wide metatarsal’s, narrow heels. the narrow heel thing always had me going for nikes, and dunks fit the best probably, but i’m just tired of looking at them.

i’ve probably chastised you before: but wear your shoes bigger, rather than smaller. or fuck up your feet. you can ease into it by wearing thicker socks . just get used to swimming. (this is just an opinion, probably not even a good one).

i don’t know what vans is doing but they need to get their shit together.
this is making me want to try cons and i do not remember how the one stars ctas 70s are sized and now i gotta drive somewhere and try on everything.

https://www.zumiez.ca/converse-one-star-pro-black-gum-cordura-skate-shoes.html

I just got these and I actually really like them. They look narrow but they dont feel terrible narrow. the tyshawns felt more narrow. there are a few points where i feel like they can pinch your feet a tiny bit (for some reason my pinky toe pinched when i did a blunt fakie), but its mostly a non issue. they feel a little hard, so like if you jump off something and your toes slam into the end it can hurt a bit. i would definitely buy these again. they are lasting realllly well too.

i could definitely buy half cabs again, I am trying not to be too particular about shoes I think I have a pretty good sense now of what I like and dont like, and at this point im really just shopping around for deals. It does kind of put me off a bit knowing a certain model wont exist next year so I am leaning towards models I have seen in print for a long time as part of my quest. theres at least 1 model under ever brand i like at this point. I just cant get deals on NB# like i have been able to other stuff but i definitely love their shoes. 

i just wear size 11 for everything. i was wearing size 10.5 for a long time and that probably contributed to my toe problem (bone growth). i have never had to size down anything. i thought my feet were done growing when i was 18 i guess but i never went to the mall and actually measured on one of those things proper til i was like 27 and realized i was an 11.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #4234 on: November 15, 2023, 09:03:37 AM »
I don't want to try the KSL. When I really love them, the shoe will be discontinued. These Half Cab's won't work for my foot shape. Maybe I try some 306 again in a few weeks. Or anyone might have recommendations for a wide, round cupsole toe box?

Marana could work for you

Banned from the room

« Reply #4235 on: November 15, 2023, 09:18:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Apologies if you've already had one, but if you're looking at Flights, try one before you buy more.

I'm on one now, and it's a great board, but- expensive, razors faster, hurts more when it hits you, the heads of the hardware stick up- because of the carbon layer, and small chips suck because the top carbon layer peels with em...
[close]

Lmao, not even 10 minutes after posting this, I chip the tail exactly as described. Oh well, got a good run out of this board at least!

Bloards chipping is my pet peeve.

Im definitely trying one tho.

I need to know what it's like.

I hear they lighter.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #4236 on: November 15, 2023, 09:42:35 AM »
Hear me out

Adidas Forums

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4237 on: November 15, 2023, 01:04:22 PM »
has anyone skated a limosine board (specifically the 9”)?

does all of the arty things detract from the boards performance?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4238 on: November 16, 2023, 06:41:13 AM »
has anyone ever seen people cut these little zig zags into round rails? im assuming this is to give it a bit more friction so you dont slide out as easily / better lock in?

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #4239 on: November 16, 2023, 07:10:33 AM »
has anyone ever seen people cut these little zig zags into round rails? im assuming this is to give it a bit more friction so you dont slide out as easily / better lock in?

Pretty sure people just like that it goes brrrrrrrrrr when you grind it, and gives a little grind feedback.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4240 on: November 16, 2023, 08:21:57 PM »

I had not actually looked, but it seems they do go above and beyond with cool stuff, even the specific ply colours, some of those boards being all coloured ply layers, some slick, some just graphic with pearl overlay, etc.

Going by that, besides having a slick bottom on one, I don't think the rest of the other things would make any difference to skating it but it might be a little more slidey with some things, then very slidey with the slick bottom.

Also having all their dimensions on their side is a plus and that 9.0 x 33.25 with 14.8 wb is a different one too, unless they just measured the inside edge of the holes for the slightly shorter wheelbase.

https://limosineskateboards.com/

https://limosineskateboards.com/products/copy-of-snake-pit-slick-bottom

Digital Print With Negative Opacities To Reveal Black Wood Grain In Upper Image(Trees) With Pearl Coat Over Bottom Image (Water)

VENEERS 2-6 DYED GREEN , TOP PLY ESPRESSO

Available in:

8.38" x 31.89"

14.20" Wheelbase

8.5" x 32.25"
14.40" Wheelbase

9.0" x 33.25"
14.8" Wheelbase

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4241 on: November 16, 2023, 09:10:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had not actually looked, but it seems they do go above and beyond with cool stuff, even the specific ply colours, some of those boards being all coloured ply layers, some slick, some just graphic with pearl overlay, etc.

Going by that, besides having a slick bottom on one, I don't think the rest of the other things would make any difference to skating it but it might be a little more slidey with some things, then very slidey with the slick bottom.

Also having all their dimensions on their side is a plus and that 9.0 x 33.25 with 14.8 wb is a different one too, unless they just measured the inside edge of the holes for the slightly shorter wheelbase.

https://limosineskateboards.com/

https://limosineskateboards.com/products/copy-of-snake-pit-slick-bottom

Digital Print With Negative Opacities To Reveal Black Wood Grain In Upper Image(Trees) With Pearl Coat Over Bottom Image (Water)

VENEERS 2-6 DYED GREEN , TOP PLY ESPRESSO

Available in:

8.38" x 31.89"

14.20" Wheelbase

8.5" x 32.25"
14.40" Wheelbase

9.0" x 33.25"
14.8" Wheelbase

ah, cuz otherwise it’s just the orange eagle, eh?

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 177
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #4242 on: November 16, 2023, 09:42:04 PM »

Less friction so it grinds consistent w/o wax

I think they invented it https://www.diamondgrindcoping.com/

Fooj

• Rep: 192
« Reply #4243 on: November 17, 2023, 12:08:40 AM »
Sorry pals, but I need your advice.

I got some Half Cab's and don't know which size I am anymore in shoes. My left foot is a tiny bit longer as my right one. My biggest toe ends where the thumb is. I don't know if that is enough space or if I should go up half a size. If I go up half a size, the right shoe feels a tad too big, but maybe I am just not used to that feeling. I always wore a 7.5 US in all the shoes I had. The 7.5 fits a bit snug, which I always preferred. I can feel the plastic inserts on both heels but the toes on both feet have a bit of wiggle room. The US 8 feels a bit long and roomy on the right foot.

That's how the foot sits on the insole.

Both photos were taken around 1 pm while I stood up with all my weight. Any help would really be appreciated.

I definitely think its the width of the toe box.
I have this same issue with skate shoes and hockey skates, if its too narrow through the forefoot or toes then it makes you want to size up. If you get a shoe with more width up there, you'll be able to wear your true size and probably skate better overall.

Like was mentioned above the 306s are good for a vulc option. They do flop out but imo hold form longer than half cabs.
If you're willing to try a cup, the Tyshawn lows are a really good semi-wide forefoot shoe. Avoid the originals tho 

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4244 on: November 17, 2023, 03:08:53 AM »
I remember reading about mini logo bearings being decent, is it really true?
Just need bearings to put a second setup and found mini logos really cheap in here.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4245 on: November 17, 2023, 03:39:09 AM »
Just need bearings to put a second setup and found mini logos really cheap in here.

afaik gear heads are pretty sure they're Reds, just with different shields.

manysnakes

« Reply #4246 on: November 17, 2023, 05:39:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mini Logos are noticeably different from Reds in that they have two shields, where Reds have one and the bearing retainer is sealed and visible in the rear. They appear to be totally different bearings, but in my personal experience, they're as good as Reds or other budget bearings.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -315
« Reply #4247 on: November 17, 2023, 08:18:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Less friction so it grinds consistent w/o wax

I think they invented it https://www.diamondgrindcoping.com/

as if that thing wasn't easy enough to grind already, we're really putting hash marks on round rails to make it easier. skateboarding really is getting soft

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #4248 on: November 18, 2023, 01:17:33 AM »
Am I a baby or do deck rails make your board feel heavy as fuuuck? Both? Feel like I can only ollie 70% as high as normal. (Same setup)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4249 on: November 18, 2023, 03:21:29 AM »
Am I a baby or do deck rails make your board feel heavy as fuuuck? Both? Feel like I can only ollie 70% as high as normal. (Same setup)
Option B.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • sup dog
« Reply #4250 on: November 18, 2023, 04:41:50 AM »
If I bought a flight board in 8.75 or 9 and re drilled the trucks would I lose pop from having such a big nose and tail.

There's nothing on this earth I want more than a big ass flight deck at this moment. But I don't want lethargic pop at all. Last time I redrilled a tail side of board it was not the best move at all.

What do pals think
Did you ever watch prof Schmitt talk about skateboard setups? It really helped with trying to perfect a setup.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • sup dog
« Reply #4251 on: November 18, 2023, 04:45:51 AM »
Mini logos are the shit. The rubber shield comes off easy for cleaning. They roll decent, but Swiss is noticeably much faster.

I’ve had one or two break on me, but what cheap bearing doesn’t? For $10 they can’t be beat. ($10? It’s been a while… I’m on Swiss for last four years.)
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

lildonut92

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4252 on: November 19, 2023, 07:26:23 AM »
I know that Vincent Touzery was on venture for a min. But I’ve seen recent clips/photos that look like Indy’s or Aces. Anyone with the insider info?

I’m not one to usually analyze other peoples setups as I usually over-analyze my own. But I’m curious.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4253 on: November 19, 2023, 08:54:37 AM »
I know that Vincent Touzery was on venture for a min. But I’ve seen recent clips/photos that look like Indy’s or Aces. Anyone with the insider info?

I’m not one to usually analyze other peoples setups as I usually over-analyze my own. But I’m curious.

few subjects interest me more, than what so and so pro is riding.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4254 on: November 19, 2023, 10:51:14 AM »

Lucas Puig was on Indys for a few clips too, now back on Thunders. Maybe its just a distribution thing?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4255 on: November 19, 2023, 04:28:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lucas Puig was on Indys for a few clips too, now back on Thunders. Maybe its just a distribution thing?

lucas was one of the few pros that i remember switching trucks here and there (indys and thunders), and was doing this before palace days

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4256 on: November 20, 2023, 04:23:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mini Logos are noticeably different from Reds in that they have two shields, where Reds have one and the bearing retainer is sealed and visible in the rear. They appear to be totally different bearings, but in my personal experience, they're as good as Reds or other budget bearings.

Thanks for the correction.

Related question: How do y'all handle bearings with two shields? I find it quite annoying to have to remove one shield to see which side should face which way.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #4257 on: November 20, 2023, 08:10:10 AM »
Any ideas as to why one shoelace comes loose more often than another?? Not exclusive to skating, just general walking the last couple days.

manysnakes

« Reply #4258 on: November 20, 2023, 08:36:23 AM »
Any ideas as to why one shoelace comes loose more often than another?? Not exclusive to skating, just general walking the last couple days.

Because someone is gossiping about you.

But actually, probably something to do with precession and the manner in which you knot your shoelace. If you don't already, tie your shoes left over right, such that the knot resembles a bow tie going straight across the top of your shoes, instead of right-over-left, where the knot will angle slightly down.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #4259 on: November 20, 2023, 09:17:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Because someone is gossiping about you.

But actually, probably something to do with precession and the manner in which you knot your shoelace. If you don't already, tie your shoes left over right, such that the knot resembles a bow tie going straight across the top of your shoes, instead of right-over-left, where the knot will angle slightly down.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but what he did in the video and what you said seem to contradict each other.  As, his method is the one to "supposedly" never untie but you're saying do the other way to never untie.

Either way, tying to make the bow across the top is the better way to do it, from my experience
Super Champion Fun Zone