Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216676 times)

michael and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Banned from the room

Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4260 on: November 20, 2023, 02:27:06 PM »
Expand Quote

Look at this old shit. Cool right?
[close]
You set me up for a good question for this thread but I'm gonna have to bend the wording to make it fit Shoes and Gear.

Since I don't see Frankie Hills' board in that poster, who was he riding for in 1991? Had he already been injured?

Good eye. I don't know that answer. Maybe he was still am?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4261 on: November 20, 2023, 02:50:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I remember reading about mini logo bearings being decent, is it really true?
Just need bearings to put a second setup and found mini logos really cheap in here.
[close]

afaik gear heads are pretty sure they're Reds, just with different shields.
[close]

Mini Logos are noticeably different from Reds in that they have two shields, where Reds have one and the bearing retainer is sealed and visible in the rear. They appear to be totally different bearings, but in my personal experience, they're as good as Reds or other budget bearings.
[close]

Thanks for the correction.

Related question: How do y'all handle bearings with two shields? I find it quite annoying to have to remove one shield to see which side should face which way.

I always take off the back shield to keep to use as a replacement if or when I need to.

All the main / best brands run the one shield on the outside, which is what I do as well, pop them to look, if it is the front, put it back on and pop the other one, put on a zip tie and in to the spare shields box.

It really doesn't matter either way if you do have two shields on, but as you said, running them without knowing which way they are, bearings in or out, it is a funny one.  I prefer bearings out.

Some bearings come with different colour shields too, eg black on one side, yellow on the other for one brand I have seen.  I still popped them to check and some were on either way.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Kaydubbb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #4262 on: November 21, 2023, 01:13:38 AM »
Anyone else hate when you have that little gap between the trucks and the deck where the nose and tail start to kick up after the bolts? Drives me insane.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4263 on: November 21, 2023, 05:53:27 AM »
Anyone else hate when you have that little gap between the trucks and the deck where the nose and tail start to kick up after the bolts? Drives me insane.

Yeah man, that shit would drive me nuts. Especially when the board stands up and you are about to throw down. My homie has that gap with his Ventures on a few decks he rode. I never saw that with Indys or Thunders on BBS decks.
IG: @flowterspace

vktrvghn

• Rep: 34
« Reply #4264 on: November 21, 2023, 06:07:11 AM »

Does anyone know what board this shape is from orginally?

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #4265 on: November 21, 2023, 06:54:01 AM »
Anyone notice Tony Hawk has been wearing lakai again lately?

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #4266 on: November 21, 2023, 07:22:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any ideas as to why one shoelace comes loose more often than another?? Not exclusive to skating, just general walking the last couple days.
[close]

Because someone is gossiping about you.

But actually, probably something to do with precession and the manner in which you knot your shoelace. If you don't already, tie your shoes left over right, such that the knot resembles a bow tie going straight across the top of your shoes, instead of right-over-left, where the knot will angle slightly down.

[close]

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but what he did in the video and what you said seem to contradict each other.  As, his method is the one to "supposedly" never untie but you're saying do the other way to never untie.

Either way, tying to make the bow across the top is the better way to do it, from my experience

Thank you both for the feedback. I switched to my velcro-strapped shoes today; couldn’t take another day of madness until I watch this video later today. Cheers!

I feel too mundane to be gossiped about, but maybe that’s the true tea to tell…

manysnakes

« Reply #4267 on: November 21, 2023, 08:26:47 AM »

He's been wearing Lakai since he left Vans. I haven't seen him in any promotional material, and it doesn't seem like they're giving him a shoe, so I imagine he's just getting flowed via his son and his old friends.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #4268 on: November 21, 2023, 11:32:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He's been wearing Lakai since he left Vans. I haven't seen him in any promotional material, and it doesn't seem like they're giving him a shoe, so I imagine he's just getting flowed via his son and his old friends.

from just a sponsorship perspective, surprised that lakai didn’t do more with him, surprised that vans didn’t as well. he’s visible. i don’t feel like flaco is pushing weight. but what do i know. lakai is weird as hell. i’m a fan of griffin and simon. the rest, and the shoes tho. sheesh.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 07:40:28 PM by Ok »

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4269 on: November 21, 2023, 11:36:47 AM »
I mean Tonys track record isn't that good what comes to his shoe deals

manysnakes

« Reply #4270 on: November 21, 2023, 02:28:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

from just a sponsorship perspective, surprised that lakai didn’t do more with him, surprised that vans didn’t as well. he’s visible. i don’t feel like flaco is pushing weight. but what do i know. lakai is weird as hell. i’m a fan of griffin and simon, the rest, and the shoes tho. sheesh.

I have to imagine that Tony Hawk's value selling a product like a skateboard shoe is actually pretty minimal at this point.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #4271 on: November 21, 2023, 03:58:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

from just a sponsorship perspective, surprised that lakai didn’t do more with him, surprised that vans didn’t as well. he’s visible. i don’t feel like flaco is pushing weight. but what do i know. lakai is weird as hell. i’m a fan of griffin and simon, the rest, and the shoes tho. sheesh.
[close]

I have to imagine that Tony Hawk's value selling a product like a skateboard shoe is actually pretty minimal at this point.

I both agree and disagree with this.

On one hand, he's a legend and people LOVE Tony Hawk so the novelty factor of it being "Tony Hawk" associated gear, there are plenty of people who will buy it because they're fans of him/what he rocks because he rocks it. I skated his Proto Lakai model and bought 3 colors. Skated 1 and hooked a homie up with the other 2. Pretty good shoe. I was interested because of Tony first and because I liked Lakai shoes (at the time).

On the other hand, he's not like Ishod, GT, Griffin Gass, etc. who are all in their "prime" so their skating = gear must be good if they're THAT good. "If I can float frontside airs or get tech because Ishod or Griffin's shoes, I'll get them" vibes.

Idk, I believe he has good selling power due to his visibility, his charismatic personality, honesty, and charitable efforts (Tony Hawk Foundation, giving completes away, etc.) to warrant pro collaborations with another brand he likes.

Must be dope to be a free agent and wear/skate your son's pro shoes though.

Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4272 on: November 21, 2023, 04:57:09 PM »

Does anyone know what board this shape is from orginally?

Could guess it is the Gonz "Sweatpants" shape, just in a scaled down version, because they look pretty similar and it is Gonz doing the art so could have lent his shape design to the whole process too.

https://aprilskateboards.com/products/guy-by-gonz-purple?variant=45487903244571

Board Dimensions

31.76" x 9.6"
Nose - 6.69"
Tail - 6.96"
Wheelbase - 14.17

Krooked Gonz sweatpants deck

Width (inches)   9.81
Length (inches)   32
Wheelbase (inches)   14.375

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #4273 on: November 21, 2023, 06:29:54 PM »
Anyone near Black Market and want grab a top pic of a deck for me?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4274 on: November 22, 2023, 03:03:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah man, that shit would drive me nuts. Especially when the board stands up and you are about to throw down. My homie has that gap with his Ventures on a few decks he rode. I never saw that with Indys or Thunders on BBS decks.
venture baseplates are slightly longer than other baseplates

Banned from the room

« Reply #4275 on: November 22, 2023, 03:50:17 AM »

Thats cool.

Wtf is wrong with airwalk tho. I would think they would've been like.

I see you baby shaking that ass.

I like Tony Hawk more than ever rn. As time goes by the respect just grows.

We was all wrong about Mr Hawk. He is top (living) ramp doggy.

If I was Tony I'd be using 808s tho. It's the best shoe ever designed. The DGK video is the proof.

Great skating but kids about to be mind raped by bullshit religious garbage.

I know some of them cats aren't down with that shit. It must suck being on that team sometimes.

Lending your street cred to someone who credits your skills to an imaginary being in the sky.

I'd fuckin try to quit over that.

Kalis's is god so idk wtf is even happening there.

Amen to the Great Kalis in the sky. Bestow your switch heels upon our undeserving eye pieces plz.

TURN THE MAN PRO!!! Wtf even is happening there?

#1 in town. This is undisputable.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 04:26:49 AM by Uncle Flea »

manysnakes

« Reply #4276 on: November 22, 2023, 05:43:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

On one hand, he's a legend and people LOVE Tony Hawk so the novelty factor of it being "Tony Hawk" associated gear, there are plenty of people who will buy it because they're fans of him/what he rocks because he rocks it. I skated his Proto Lakai model and bought 3 colors. Skated 1 and hooked a homie up with the other 2. Pretty good shoe. I was interested because of Tony first and because I liked Lakai shoes (at the time).

On the other hand, he's not like Ishod, GT, Griffin Gass, etc. who are all in their "prime" so their skating = gear must be good if they're THAT good. "If I can float frontside airs or get tech because Ishod or Griffin's shoes, I'll get them" vibes.

Idk, I believe he has good selling power due to his visibility, his charismatic personality, honesty, and charitable efforts (Tony Hawk Foundation, giving completes away, etc.) to warrant pro collaborations with another brand he likes.

I guess my point is that, if there were big demand for a legitimate Hawk skate shoe, such a thing would already exist. It’s entirely possible that it’s no longer worth his time to put energy into promoting a shoe when he gets a five-digit appearance fee for showing up to your corporate retreat in Aspen for a weekend. It’s not as if Tony is shy about sticking his name onto things. Maybe Lakai does a limited rerelease of his Proto or something.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4277 on: November 22, 2023, 07:43:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I guess my point is that, if there were big demand for a legitimate Hawk skate shoe, such a thing would already exist. It’s entirely possible that it’s no longer worth his time to put energy into promoting a shoe when he gets a five-digit appearance fee for showing up to your corporate retreat in Aspen for a weekend. It’s not as if Tony is shy about sticking his name onto things. Maybe Lakai does a limited rerelease of his Proto or something.

so i was one of the very few that thought the first proto colorway looked fucking sick. like a jordan.

lakai has some cool designs, they just insist on making their shit out of play-doh. the concept to the execution, disconnect in there.
it must not be financially feasible for them to
make a shoe, really good. im impressed that they can just continue to make the mediocre stuff. wouldn’t at some point, as an employee/owner, you just want to make it rad?
nb has their issues, and the 1010 isn’t perfect, but the level care feels otherworldly in comparison to any lakai i’ve held in my hand.

and simon and griffin are too sick.

anyways, loved the first proto cw, missed it, bought a white pair, and the shape was all fucked and super super pointy, and the sole was the cheaper version of what they could have done, and the shoe was still expensive. skated ok. no reason why i’d skate it over a dunk tho.

also, the flare could be tiny and that would really help. a lot.

tony is a weird one i guess i’m not trying to buy his kit either

Banned from the room

« Reply #4278 on: November 22, 2023, 07:56:47 AM »
Lakai is sick.

I feel like a legit Hawk shoe would fly off shelves maybe.

Hawks needs Croaker Sacks I think because he's a certified G.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4279 on: November 22, 2023, 08:06:46 AM »
Didn't they already do that Proto shoe and it was actually good shoe that ended up in clearance racks because we are talking about Lakai in 2020ish?

fernando the skater

• Rep: 123
« Reply #4280 on: November 22, 2023, 08:20:56 AM »
The Lakai Hawk shoe was pretty hideous looking though, wasn't it? I'm guessing the Adidas Nora shoe is selling well as it looks nice, so will appeal to the non-skate crowd who don't know who, or what, a nora is.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4281 on: November 22, 2023, 10:00:00 AM »
lol dont you guys remember there was an entire HAWK brand of clothing head to toe, shoes, shorts, pads, completes, shirts

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4282 on: November 22, 2023, 11:14:23 AM »
The Lakai Hawk shoe was pretty hideous looking though, wasn't it? I'm guessing the Adidas Nora shoe is selling well as it looks nice, so will appeal to the non-skate crowd who don't know who, or what, a nora is.

No, I feel it was one of the better designs Lakai had done in awhile.  It wasn't a bland, basic vulc design we had been seeing from them. It used the same sole as the Atlantic and current runs of Telford XLK. If you like that sole, it would be good. If you didn't, then you wouldn't.

That shape could be too pointy for people, understandably. They skated pretty well. Flick felt great though! Were a little thin for the sole and the upper, but overall a good (not great) shoe. Not super durable, but not trashed in a day either.

Seemed to sell okay for a little while and the launch colors stirred a lot of buzz for Lakai and Tony nostalgia fans. The interest definitely tapered off as we headed into Covid, Tony left/they stopped producing them.
I owned 3 or 4 pairs and genuinely liked them. Skated 1/wore 1 and gave the other 2-3 away to minimize. I didn't like them enough to keep them, however.

It was a nice modern homage to Tony's Prototype from Airwalk. Couldn't find a good photo of the matching colorway in the Airwalk to the Proto I posted:

lol dont you guys remember there was an entire HAWK brand of clothing head to toe, shoes, shorts, pads, completes, shirts

I remember and have owned a handful of Hawk clothes when I was a teenager/young adult. Some of their button up long sleeves and sweaters were pretty nice. They lasted me a long time, so as far as budget friendly casual wear goes, they were a hit. Department store vibes with that HAWK line for sure. I might still have one of my hoodies. Will post a pic if I do
Super Champion Fun Zone

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #4283 on: November 22, 2023, 12:05:52 PM »
Do VX decks still have pretty steep kicks? Considering buying one online but don't want to be unpleasantly surprised. None of the local shops have them so I can check them out, either.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #4284 on: November 22, 2023, 02:53:34 PM »
Do VX decks still have pretty steep kicks? Considering buying one online but don't want to be unpleasantly surprised. None of the local shops have them so I can check them out, either.
I got the most recent Mccoy VX twin tail and it's very steep (And not actually a twin, nose is steeper)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4285 on: November 22, 2023, 04:10:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No, I feel it was one of the better designs Lakai had done in awhile.  It wasn't a bland, basic vulc design we had been seeing from them. It used the same sole as the Atlantic and current runs of Telford XLK. If you like that sole, it would be good. If you didn't, then you wouldn't.

That shape could be too pointy for people, understandably. They skated pretty well. Flick felt great though! Were a little thin for the sole and the upper, but overall a good (not great) shoe. Not super durable, but not trashed in a day either.

Seemed to sell okay for a little while and the launch colors stirred a lot of buzz for Lakai and Tony nostalgia fans. The interest definitely tapered off as we headed into Covid, Tony left/they stopped producing them.
I owned 3 or 4 pairs and genuinely liked them. Skated 1/wore 1 and gave the other 2-3 away to minimize. I didn't like them enough to keep them, however.

It was a nice modern homage to Tony's Prototype from Airwalk. Couldn't find a good photo of the matching colorway in the Airwalk to the Proto I posted:

Expand Quote
[close]

I remember and have owned a handful of Hawk clothes when I was a teenager/young adult. Some of their button up long sleeves and sweaters were pretty nice. They lasted me a long time, so as far as budget friendly casual wear goes, they were a hit. Department store vibes with that HAWK line for sure. I might still have one of my hoodies. Will post a pic if I do

yeah this is the shoe. i thought it looked nice, and was obviously different, which i respect.

the shoe did skate ok. it didn’t feel like. $100 ish shoe, which is what i think they started off selling it as.
the sole isn’t terrible, but it’s not as nice as the og telford sole either.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #4286 on: November 22, 2023, 04:24:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I got the most recent Mccoy VX twin tail and it's very steep (And not actually a twin, nose is steeper)

Damn. Thanks for the info!

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4287 on: November 22, 2023, 07:08:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah this is the shoe. i thought it looked nice, and was obviously different, which i respect.

the shoe did skate ok. it didn’t feel like. $100 ish shoe, which is what i think they started off selling it as.
the sole isn’t terrible, but it’s not as nice as the og telford sole either.

I remember them being about $80 at launch. Don't know if they raised or/dropped the MSRP at all.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 95
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #4288 on: November 24, 2023, 03:25:19 AM »
I'm looking at some cheap decks to buy, and I've seen an Enjoi deck for like £29, but it says 'resin hybrid construction'. What does this mean? Is it basically a price point quality deck?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4289 on: November 24, 2023, 03:45:51 AM »
I'm looking at some cheap decks to buy, and I've seen an Enjoi deck for like £29, but it says 'resin hybrid construction'. What does this mean? Is it basically a price point quality deck?
"3.9 – RESIN HYBRID MAPLE
If you’re looking for a Resin Hybrid Maple construction, check out the decks by Dwindle brands Almost, Enjoi, Zero, Darkstar and Blind. For these decks, a mixture of “normal” Canadian maple wood and the harder “Hard Rock Maple” is used. These individually pressed decks are distinguished by their longevity."
(Skatedeluxe)

Seems pretty normal construction to me