Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 221445 times)

Frank Sobotka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 97
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4290 on: November 24, 2023, 03:54:00 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm looking at some cheap decks to buy, and I've seen an Enjoi deck for like £29, but it says 'resin hybrid construction'. What does this mean? Is it basically a price point quality deck?
[close]
"3.9 – RESIN HYBRID MAPLE
If you’re looking for a Resin Hybrid Maple construction, check out the decks by Dwindle brands Almost, Enjoi, Zero, Darkstar and Blind. For these decks, a mixture of “normal” Canadian maple wood and the harder “Hard Rock Maple” is used. These individually pressed decks are distinguished by their longevity."
(Skatedeluxe)

Seems pretty normal construction to me

Nice one! I probably could have just googled this myself but Slap always delivers

rikki

• Rep: 324
« Reply #4291 on: November 24, 2023, 06:43:56 AM »
How long until Dwindle decks/brands run out? Or are they just still making them regardless of the dwindling (pun opportunity used)?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 667
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4292 on: November 24, 2023, 08:45:44 AM »
every distributor is sitting on a lot of inventory
some say they have extra stuff for 2 or 3 years

i don't know if dwindle will make another cliché scam with almost, blind, etc. but even if they stop producing those brands, decks will be available for a lonnnnng time

mstuntbless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4293 on: November 24, 2023, 11:53:03 AM »
Conicals or classic shape?

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #4294 on: November 24, 2023, 12:25:31 PM »

I hate the shape of classics, the skinny contact patch has never worked for me

Conicals all day, personally, but radials are a nice in-between if the hard cut edge isn't for you
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 556
« Reply #4295 on: November 24, 2023, 12:42:14 PM »

Classic for me. Easier on/off coping for reverts, less wheel bite, & better pinch. YMMV

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4296 on: November 24, 2023, 01:21:25 PM »
You can't go wrong with the classic

manysnakes

« Reply #4297 on: November 24, 2023, 04:31:36 PM »
Classic, always.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1132
« Reply #4298 on: November 24, 2023, 05:14:16 PM »
never skated conicals, not fond of conical fulls. or wasn’t, but maybe i’d come around to them.
classics. they look good, skate rad. sure they aren’t the best for crunchy roads, but just get a bigger size.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #4299 on: November 24, 2023, 05:58:37 PM »
Conical/ Conical Full > Classic

Every day of the week.  No question about it for me. Personally, I think the classic shape sucks. Too narrow riding surface, falls out of grinds too easily, looks weirdly thin, somehow slides worse on ledge/rails for me, doesn't keep speed that well, can't handle rougher ground/pebbles, and doesn't feel stable at all.
Super Champion Fun Zone

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1994
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4300 on: November 24, 2023, 10:12:13 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm looking at some cheap decks to buy, and I've seen an Enjoi deck for like £29, but it says 'resin hybrid construction'. What does this mean? Is it basically a price point quality deck?
[close]
"3.9 – RESIN HYBRID MAPLE
If you’re looking for a Resin Hybrid Maple construction, check out the decks by Dwindle brands Almost, Enjoi, Zero, Darkstar and Blind. For these decks, a mixture of “normal” Canadian maple wood and the harder “Hard Rock Maple” is used. These individually pressed decks are distinguished by their longevity."
(Skatedeluxe)

Seems pretty normal construction to me
Resin Hybrid decks are 2 plys of maple and 5 plys of birch, fine for kids, but if you're looking for a deck that lasts go for the regular Resin-7.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4301 on: November 25, 2023, 02:20:55 AM »
every distributor is sitting on a lot of inventory
some say they have extra stuff for 2 or 3 years

i don't know if dwindle will make another cliché scam with almost, blind, etc. but even if they stop producing those brands, decks will be available for a lonnnnng time

It would be interesting to see if they do try to release any more boards, or just stick to current team graphics or do anything more at all, seeing as their brands all seem dead and done, everyone who meant anything to the company gone, etc.

Either way, not a worry to me, but as long as people can pick up cheap boards, I guess that is a plus for the skate population who are into that wood.

Kind of sucks for anyone sitting on a ton of stock though, as I don't think there is much chance of moving it at anywhere near RRP unless it is a mall store and people buying it just don't even have a clue as to the industry situation or what has happened.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #4302 on: November 25, 2023, 02:26:08 AM »

For slappies go classic.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 837
« Reply #4303 on: November 25, 2023, 07:15:55 AM »
Was the 21st of November this year the day the most video's/parts dropped?

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4304 on: November 25, 2023, 09:15:45 AM »
Is there somewhere I can still get the adidas Mike Arnold? Will they be re released? Are the any adidas insiders on this forum? @Sk.A.T.A.N ?

Obijuan91

• Rep: 29
« Reply #4305 on: November 25, 2023, 12:13:36 PM »
Nike blazers non sb, are they good to skate in?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #4306 on: November 25, 2023, 08:10:07 PM »

They're okay. They definitely don't have as much support/durable material/stitching as the SB ones, but they're completely skatable

Here's a video that may help your decision if you're interested in watching it. Ignore the "custom" thing in what he ordered.  The shoe itself is practically identical to what is sold off the shelf in stores

https://youtu.be/PNrp62rFJE4?si=0682fYjhwugiHz7x
Super Champion Fun Zone

DakotaRed

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4307 on: November 26, 2023, 03:33:39 AM »
Is there somewhere I can still get the adidas Mike Arnold? Will they be re released? Are the any adidas insiders on this forum? @Sk.A.T.A.N ?
Size 11 https://thepremierstore.com/products/mike-arnold-x-adidas-handball-top?_pos=23&_fid=fd1cf7a8a&_ss=c&variant=40388163502145

Obijuan91

• Rep: 29
« Reply #4308 on: November 26, 2023, 06:17:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're okay. They definitely don't have as much support/durable material/stitching as the SB ones, but they're completely skatable

Here's a video that may help your decision if you're interested in watching it. Ignore the "custom" thing in what he ordered.  The shoe itself is practically identical to what is sold off the shelf in stores

https://youtu.be/PNrp62rFJE4?si=0682fYjhwugiHz7x

Answered all my questions thanks

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #4309 on: November 27, 2023, 03:32:42 PM »
Which bearings would you guys recommend to me if I don't care about them being super fast, I just want them to hold up super long without ever cleaning them? They just need to be ok in terms of speed, and stay that way virtually forever.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4310 on: November 27, 2023, 04:06:25 PM »
Which bearings would you guys recommend to me if I don't care about them being super fast, I just want them to hold up super long without ever cleaning them? They just need to be ok in terms of speed, and stay that way virtually forever.

There are often two different ways of going down the bearing path.

Some swear by the Bones Swiss, initial spend is a bit more, but they last a long time, can go through many sets of wheels and hold up really well (for the most part for most people) for a long, long time.

Others go more for whatever they can get, Spitfire Cheapshots, Modus Black or Mini logo bearings, skate them for as long as the wheels last and then it is new wheels with new bearings time.  Their thinking is usually get bearing that work - yes all three of those work fine for a budget bearing - don't need to spend a whole lot, leave the bearings in the wheels when done and just the small initial outlay every time works out better for them.

Either way, I have both options going on and think they are both good, as far as Bones Swiss really do hold up a long time for me, but then when trying some of the cheaper bearings, just to see how they go, when I am not going super fast and just rolling around, the cheap ones do work well and I have no complaints about them, don't feel like they are a lot slower than Swiss, don't need to pump my guts out to hit every transition wall or push and push and push from one side of a park to the other, etc.

In that way, you can spread the cost out and get new bearings every time you get new wheels and have that crispy smooth roll every time, which is what those people do and what I found setting up these ones on some boards over the last year or so.

I also have Super Reds and quite a few other mid range bearings too, all of which work great, many of which I have not really had to look after a whole lot, or just give them a quick spray and they hold up fine.  I keep shields on and never take them completely apart to clean either, for that matter.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

« Reply #4311 on: November 27, 2023, 04:15:06 PM »

Bones Swiss 6

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4312 on: November 28, 2023, 03:21:21 AM »
If $ is not a problem: Bones swiss 6
If $ is tight: Flip HKD 5
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4313 on: November 28, 2023, 07:22:44 AM »

brimson basically said how i feel. if you know you are just oging to be lazy , ride them through puddles, keep them in the car over the winter, never clean them, but you want them to last forever then just spend the money on the bones swiss. nothing else will hold up the same. dont waste your money on the ceramics there is no noticeable difference.

i have all 3 tiers of bearings like brimson suggested. i have swiss that have lasted me like 6-7 years still going great. i did all that bad stuff - puddles, winter, etc. never cleaned em either i dont think.

i have some $40 Bronsons that I babied and they are very fast and basically feel brand new still because i took care of them. lately i am just doing $6 bearings i got from primitive and same thing i just take care of them and they are doing me absolutely fine. i love my setup right now.

bearings dont really add a noticeable amount of speed to your setup imo - its going up in wheel size is where you will notice it the most.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
« Reply #4314 on: November 28, 2023, 07:34:35 AM »

@behavioralguide are these the ones you're looking for? Handball edition. https://ninetimesskateshop.com/products/adidas-mike-arnold-handball-top-black-navy-mikearnoldhandball?variant=40679866564662

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • dog stuff
« Reply #4315 on: November 28, 2023, 08:03:09 AM »
@Madam, I'm Adam
@DakotaRed

Thx for the links
I'm Europe based and not sure how I feel about shipping 3 pairs of shoes across the Atlantic altough 68euros, even with 50 euros shipping on top, is cheaper than they are here and a very temping offer...

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4316 on: November 28, 2023, 10:00:19 AM »
@Madam, I'm Adam
@DakotaRed

Thx for the links
I'm Europe based and not sure how I feel about shipping 3 pairs of shoes across the Atlantic altough 68euros, even with 50 euros shipping on top, is cheaper than they are here and a very temping offer...
Which size?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • dog stuff
« Reply #4317 on: November 28, 2023, 10:17:41 AM »

But ive realised a friend is back over in the US atm so she's taking two pairs back

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #4318 on: November 28, 2023, 01:08:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bones Swiss 6

Second this. Maintenance needs tend to be less for 6 balls.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1132
« Reply #4319 on: November 28, 2023, 08:47:45 PM »
are the vans skate half-cabs the same sizing?
my 92 uprise ones are tts, heard the fit has changed.

i’m sure it’s been mentioned on here, i’m being lazy