Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216629 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4440 on: December 20, 2023, 08:59:06 AM »
BBS/ Generator, I think was So Cal, San Diego area pre Tijuana. For s time, the manufacturing may have been split between TJ and the CA.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #4441 on: December 20, 2023, 11:54:04 AM »
Bored thought at work

Any one try riding two different trucks? Obviously it seems dumb, but maybe there's some secret to having something like a thunder in the back and a venture-lo in the front, or whatever combo you think might "work"
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Pastasash

• Rep: 78
« Reply #4442 on: December 20, 2023, 12:31:52 PM »
Bored thought at work

Any one try riding two different trucks? Obviously it seems dumb, but maybe there's some secret to having something like a thunder in the back and a venture-lo in the front, or whatever combo you think might "work"

You should DM Bam and ask since his last post exposed his Frankenstein set up of one Ace and one Thunder truck with the bushings cranked down like a MF haha

diplodocus

• Rep: 164
  • long neck
« Reply #4443 on: December 20, 2023, 01:10:44 PM »
I got a set of thunders a while back and it seems like one set has longer axels than the other? On one set i can tighten it so that there is some axel poking out, while on the other set I can barely tighten it without stopping the wheel. Any advice on this?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • sup dog
« Reply #4444 on: December 20, 2023, 01:27:38 PM »
I got a set of thunders a while back and it seems like one set has longer axels than the other? On one set i can tighten it so that there is some axel poking out, while on the other set I can barely tighten it without stopping the wheel. Any advice on this?
Measure the axle. Take photo.
Measure the hangar. Take photo
Tighten bolts, take photo.

Email DLX and ask why the measurements are off for two of the same truck.

Don’t demand. Just be cool and show them the different lengths and ask if that’s normal.

If they say it’s normal, just try to live with it, and forevermore have madness and measure all the trucks before buying them.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4445 on: December 21, 2023, 10:31:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don’t demand. Just be cool and show them the different lengths and ask if that’s normal.

If they say it’s normal, just try to live with it, and forevermore have madness and measure all the trucks before buying them.

Also make sure your bearings are seated all the way. When in doubt remove the bearings and reseat just to make sure.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4446 on: December 21, 2023, 02:59:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Also make sure your bearings are seated all the way. When in doubt remove the bearings and reseat just to make sure.

Yes, had some wheels not want to seat bearings correctly, so the trucks didn't seem to line up or appeared to have axle slip, then when they went right in, everything worked nicely.

It is not uncommon for some trucks to have maybe 1 mm difference - I noticed quite a few trucks were ever so slightly offset, with the axle repeatedly sticking out to the same side, so whatever happened that day in the production was a little off, but not enough to really make too much difference.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4447 on: December 21, 2023, 05:31:04 PM »
I wonder how axles still slip sometimes.

Don't all trucks have like a complex radius axle in them now?
You used to be able to pull them right out.... And not get them back in.
And
I remember like GK had a bur in there or whatever all the adds use to say they cured alxe slip.

I think there's a truck that has a hex section on their axles now too.

How would this stuff still happen

diplodocus

• Rep: 164
  • long neck
« Reply #4448 on: December 21, 2023, 07:17:30 PM »
So i measured my trucks, axels and re seated my bearings. I used the bearing press at my shop so I know they were in right. Happened on multiple sets of wheels.

One truck measured 149, the other… 152. So it’s a 152 with an axel of a 149. Thus there is too much hangar and not enough space for the wheels.

Taking to thunder right now, probably will be taken care of.  Bummer cause i had some nice grooves coming in.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #4449 on: December 21, 2023, 08:51:29 PM »
So i measured my trucks, axels and re seated my bearings. I used the bearing press at my shop so I know they were in right. Happened on multiple sets of wheels.

One truck measured 149, the other… 152. So it’s a 152 with an axel of a 149. Thus there is too much hangar and not enough space for the wheels.

Taking to thunder right now, probably will be taken care of.  Bummer cause i had some nice grooves coming in.

Cool, hope they treat you right.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #4450 on: December 22, 2023, 12:57:38 AM »
How long do you run trucks after you hit axle? I've got about an inch of axle showing on both trucks and crook + sw crook grooves. Feels fine for the most part, but wondering if its causing some of my slip outs/bad lock ins on ledges...

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 95
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #4451 on: December 22, 2023, 10:13:13 AM »
What is a deck with steep kicks good for? I got an Enjoi deck not so long ago because it was on sale dirt cheap, and it has steep kicks, much steeper than I would normally skate. I'm not usually too bothered by these things as I believe you just get used to it after a session or two, but it'd be nice to know what will benefit and hinder me.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #4452 on: December 22, 2023, 10:30:01 AM »
What is a deck with steep kicks good for? I got an Enjoi deck not so long ago because it was on sale dirt cheap, and it has steep kicks, much steeper than I would normally skate. I'm not usually too bothered by these things as I believe you just get used to it after a session or two, but it'd be nice to know what will benefit and hinder me.

potentially slower, but higher pop. some flips might feel better coming off a steep nose... I bet it would help with those snappy, end-over-end style 360 flips. impossibles?

personally i loved doing crooks on something like a Hockey nose, but i could see others not digging that.

i'm also not good enough that i would matter too much either way, mostly a comfortable vs uncomfortable thing

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #4453 on: December 22, 2023, 12:01:52 PM »
How long do you run trucks after you hit axle? I've got about an inch of axle showing on both trucks and crook + sw crook grooves. Feels fine for the most part, but wondering if its causing some of my slip outs/bad lock ins on ledges...

You can uncover the top of the whole axle long before it snaps. It's a rite of passage

Banned from the room

« Reply #4454 on: December 22, 2023, 12:29:03 PM »

Could be. I run um till I'm sick of looking at it. I think the axle is faster than the hanger so I enjoy it.

Venture and Indy can run axles full exposed for a grip unless you jump down shit.

Back when I was jumping down shit I never saw axle because I was breaking baby truck kingpins and plates.

I save some of my axled 5.6 and my one set of 5.8s tho axle is heavily exposed on one truck of every set Just in case I have a loss. Or I need the 5.8. I rarely axle the front truck so I just can build a decent set of 5.6s or I can just replace the one 5.8 and keep going if nee be.

5.8 is 1fuckinthousand percent the greatest trucks ever made.  I need to remive that shit one more time

I tried to photo my used truck shrine but imgbb is down rn

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #4455 on: December 22, 2023, 12:38:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You can uncover the top of the whole axle long before it snaps. It's a rite of passage

Yeah I know, I'm talking about it anyone notices it affecting their skating not whether it breaks or not. The hanger isn't flat anymore but kinda concave, plus the kingpin catches more. Mainly an issue for ledges n flatbars, slappies dont matter

Pastasash

• Rep: 78
« Reply #4456 on: December 22, 2023, 01:58:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah I know, I'm talking about it anyone notices it affecting their skating not whether it breaks or not. The hanger isn't flat anymore but kinda concave, plus the kingpin catches more. Mainly an issue for ledges n flatbars, slappies dont matter

On my last set of stage 11 Indys that were USA made they lasted forever even after hitting axle and having a hairline crack underneath the groove, I was on it for a few good weeks not much issues until I lost that set up  :'( But then hitting axel on 5.8 Ventures I tried to stretch a few more sessions still and I could make it work on flatbars/ledges but it dragged so bad and couldn't get it to go on transition coping so ditched em. Those were the last two trucks I had that hit axel, but on average I'd say best could go two weeks without hating it maybe.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4457 on: December 22, 2023, 02:05:30 PM »
Yeah I don't like looking at the back 50 Gullwing groove sometimes.

New trucks are better than old trucks.... But old bushings are the best

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4458 on: December 22, 2023, 02:50:29 PM »
what kind of shorts do yall skate in (no jorts)
god i hate jorts
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 02:59:51 PM by munchbox »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #4459 on: December 22, 2023, 03:27:44 PM »
god i hate jorts

i like these dickies shorts, the length sits just at the knee and slides over easy when i crouch to pop

https://www.dickies.com/work-shorts/loose-fit-flat-front-work-shorts-13/42283.html

those or the plethora of volcom chino shorts are my go-to's

manysnakes

« Reply #4460 on: December 22, 2023, 04:10:13 PM »
god i hate jorts

I think you can't go wrong with basic, solid color shorts from the major brands like J Crew. I've haven't set foot into J Crew store in a least a decade, but I've probably ended up with four or five pairs of their shorts from various thrift store. One can imagine that right now, in the northern hemisphere, is a great time to shop for shorts.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4461 on: December 22, 2023, 04:46:50 PM »
god i hate jorts

All my favorite jorts are just my favorite jeans I took to the tailor and had them hemmed. Mostly Carhartt or dickies jeans that got sort of old. It varies obviously but the dry cleaner down the street does it for $8

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4462 on: December 22, 2023, 06:08:52 PM »
some sweat joints.....

oak leaf

• Rep: 58
« Reply #4463 on: December 23, 2023, 06:54:22 PM »
god i hate jorts

i skate in bathing suits that look like shorts because the summer is brutal and they dry so fast

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #4464 on: December 23, 2023, 09:56:50 PM »
Expand Quote
god i hate jorts
[close]

i skate in bathing suits that look like shorts because the summer is brutal and they dry so fast
Arizona, Nevada, or Texas?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 866
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4465 on: December 24, 2023, 09:16:50 AM »
anyone skate trackers?
what is their calling card
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

biaherl

« Reply #4466 on: December 24, 2023, 06:41:19 PM »
anyone skate trackers?
what is their calling card

"Be good, be good
Be good, be good, be good
Be good, be good, be good (Johnny)
Be good, be good, be good" (Johnny)

biaherl

« Reply #4467 on: December 24, 2023, 06:44:20 PM »
god i hate jorts

Red Kap

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #4468 on: December 25, 2023, 12:00:14 AM »
Expand Quote
god i hate jorts
[close]

i like these dickies shorts, the length sits just at the knee and slides over easy when i crouch to pop

https://www.dickies.com/work-shorts/loose-fit-flat-front-work-shorts-13/42283.html

those or the plethora of volcom chino shorts are my go-to's

Them Dickies rule. The extra pocket on the right leg is so handy also. The more you wear them the softer they get, but still last forever.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4469 on: December 25, 2023, 07:35:48 AM »
Carhartt Men's Rugged Professional Relaxed Fit Canvas Short https://a.co/d/eeosLCs

The only issue is the QC is super inconsistent so you gotta order like 3 pairs and keep the one that fits the best.