Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216427 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4680 on: February 24, 2024, 10:06:29 PM »
Do all twin tails feel short and stubby or is it just me? Road the crail and the ishod, hated them. But I feel like there’s gotta be one out there that works
Which Crail? I skated the G069 and loved it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

GT

• Rep: -14
« Reply #4681 on: February 24, 2024, 10:22:45 PM »
Which shoes now days have the best look to reminisce of all black with white laces 90-92 big pants small wheels shoes style ?

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4682 on: February 25, 2024, 06:22:40 AM »
All black half-cabs.

boofactory

• Rep: 24
« Reply #4683 on: February 25, 2024, 07:54:31 AM »
Is there anyway to make a board slide like a slick, like applying lacquer to the nose and tail or something? I know wax will get the job done but I’m just curious

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #4684 on: February 25, 2024, 08:14:29 AM »
Is there anyway to make a board slide like a slick, like applying lacquer to the nose and tail or something? I know wax will get the job done but I’m just curious

There’s always the old Z-Skinz “stick on” slick.  Oddly, they still have some available at good ol’ reliable Skull Skates.

http://www.skullskates.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/10/products_id/1939

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #4685 on: February 25, 2024, 08:35:10 AM »
Which shoes now days have the best look to reminisce of all black with white laces 90-92 big pants small wheels shoes style ?

Black Chukka boots. Period correct even.

GT

« Reply #4686 on: February 25, 2024, 11:52:09 AM »

Slizza slick tape
https://www.instagram.com/slizzaslicktape?igsh=czltdnpqMGJhbW1x

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4687 on: February 25, 2024, 12:24:27 PM »
Flashback with that stick on slick - anyone tried it recently? Waaaay back that shit would slide for a day or so and then peel up.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4688 on: February 25, 2024, 01:12:07 PM »
Flashback with that stick on slick - anyone tried it recently? Waaaay back that shit would slide for a day or so and then peel up.

Sounds pretty close to real slicks then. They’d last about 2 days then go through and start flapping until it got pulled off out of anger.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4689 on: February 25, 2024, 04:37:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There’s always the old Z-Skinz “stick on” slick.  Oddly, they still have some available at good ol’ reliable Skull Skates.

http://www.skullskates.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/10/products_id/1939

I tried that a few times back in 1990 or so and it worked to a point, but we only really put it on the end of the tail to make it last longer, as well as slide.

Young and impressionable...

Expand Quote
[close]

Sounds pretty close to real slicks then. They’d last about 2 days then go through and start flapping until it got pulled off out of anger.

That was always the white backing stuff wasn't it?

I remember desperately trying to stick it back down if it came off too quickly, but then once it all came off, the board would be so sticky underneath as well.

* Found this online:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157687267001187&set=p.10157687267001187&type=3

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 04:45:04 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 99
« Reply #4690 on: February 26, 2024, 06:40:03 PM »
Got some bone Swiss for the first time ever, gamechanger. I’m about 6 months in and one of my wheels seized up. Cleaned my bearing with isopropyl alcohol and now three out of four are seizing up. I didn’t have speed cream or anything to put in em. Are they just fucked now or does this happen after cleaning them without using lube?

GT

« Reply #4691 on: February 26, 2024, 08:17:16 PM »
Got some bone Swiss for the first time ever, gamechanger. I’m about 6 months in and one of my wheels seized up. Cleaned my bearing with isopropyl alcohol and now three out of four are seizing up. I didn’t have speed cream or anything to put in em. Are they just fucked now or does this happen after cleaning them without using lube?
Shields off WD40 but like a drop of

Jogging José

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4692 on: February 26, 2024, 09:38:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Shields off WD40 but like a drop of

No, WD40 is not a good lubricant and does more damage in the long run. Use a drop of Speed Cream, sewing machine oil or motor oil….

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4693 on: February 26, 2024, 09:51:00 PM »
oh here we go......this actually deserves a thread......

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4694 on: February 27, 2024, 01:39:02 AM »
Using WD-40 is as smart as kicking your own balls
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4695 on: February 27, 2024, 06:07:30 AM »
Maybe I'm crazy here, but does anyone else ever feel like when you go to set up for a trick on a deck with steeper kicks, it slows you down more than setting up on a mellow deck?  Especially nollie and fakie.  I don't know, maybe this is in my head, but I really feel like I lose more speed on steeper shapes. 

geezer

• Rep: 37
« Reply #4696 on: February 27, 2024, 09:28:26 AM »
Shelltoes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4697 on: February 27, 2024, 03:48:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ridden a few REAL slicks and never had an issue with them peeling up at all (all within the last few years tho). NHS slicks are still the best as they actually feel like they make a significant difference compared to the DLX ones, heavy tho.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4698 on: February 27, 2024, 04:10:11 PM »

Sometimes cleaning them doesn't get everything out, or can remove the good stuff that keeps them rolling.

Quite simply there are options, but lube is 100% required, be it liquid as people have said, or dry grphite powder, but the two do not mix at all either.

WD40 is a cleaning agent too, so although it might work short term, it doesn't work long term for bearings.  It does smell nice though.

I think people often can get confused about some things and what works or doesn't work, or even the fact that cleaning bearings will bring them back to rolling like new, but more often than not it can cause other issues, eg things not put back together correctly in some cases, damaged parts getting them apart and back together.

More than anything, if they have seized up and are not rolling, using something on them to get them rolling again (not just lube) is the main thing, so WD40 does help in that regard, but you can't just drop lube straight in them after that either, as the two work against each other.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ourladyoftheflowers

« Reply #4699 on: February 27, 2024, 04:57:17 PM »
Wanted to update. Had a chance for a quick post work sesh today and after I rode em around for a few minutes they loosened up and are now spinning great.

Still gonna grab some lube for em tomorrow just so I can keep ‘em going as long as possible

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4700 on: February 27, 2024, 07:03:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ridden a few REAL slicks and never had an issue with them peeling up at all (all within the last few years tho). NHS slicks are still the best as they actually feel like they make a significant difference compared to the DLX ones, heavy tho.

*when I said real I meant as in not stick on NOT from Real. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I’ve only had 2 slicks(2nd was an accident since I didn’t know) had an Underworld Element Stranger slick that I blew through the slick on the nose/tail/mid within 2 days and it was flapping around so off it came. Last one was a friends company that I wanted to support and liked the shape so didn’t know it was a slick until I got it from him. A few board slides and it cut through in a few spots so I gave it to a friend for an art project. Both were the white epoxy stuff that’s about 1/16”.

@Mbrimson88 yeah it looked like the stuff you posted in that everslick picture. When I ripped it off it left a huge mess. Don’t recall it being overly sticky but got a new deck a couple days later so can’t say I recall that well.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4701 on: February 27, 2024, 10:30:49 PM »
I always wondered but when I saw that Indy timeline thing is it me or do theeves look basically like a copycat stage 7??

yes

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • sup dog
« Reply #4702 on: February 28, 2024, 07:26:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sometimes cleaning them doesn't get everything out, or can remove the good stuff that keeps them rolling.

Quite simply there are options, but lube is 100% required, be it liquid as people have said, or dry grphite powder, but the two do not mix at all either.

WD40 is a cleaning agent too, so although it might work short term, it doesn't work long term for bearings.  It does smell nice though.

I think people often can get confused about some things and what works or doesn't work, or even the fact that cleaning bearings will bring them back to rolling like new, but more often than not it can cause other issues, eg things not put back together correctly in some cases, damaged parts getting them apart and back together.

More than anything, if they have seized up and are not rolling, using something on them to get them rolling again (not just lube) is the main thing, so WD40 does help in that regard, but you can't just drop lube straight in them after that either, as the two work against each other.
Buy the Bones cleaning water bottle, and follow those instructions. I use acetone to shake and clean the bearings in there, and then keyboard air can spray them out to dry, and then two drops of speed cream.

It’s also entirely possible you have a set of FAKE Swiss.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

rikki

• Rep: 306
« Reply #4703 on: February 28, 2024, 07:36:31 AM »

Buy the Bones cleaning water bottle, and follow those instructions. I use acetone to shake and clean the bearings in there, and then keyboard air can spray them out to dry, and then two drops of speed cream.

Isopropyl alcohol is less toxic and easier on the plastic parts of bearings, so I'd prefer that over acetone.

If you don't want to invest in the Bones cleaning kit, just do this:

1. Pour isopropyl alchohol into a ceramic / glass jar, enough to cover the bearings.
2. Remove bearing shields, put bearings in the jar.
3. Stir for a while with a knife/screwdriver/whatever you have to get the dirt moving --> it'll fall to the bottom.
4. Pick the bearings from the jar, place them on some solid paper/cardboard to dry (don't use thin napkins or anything that might go soggy and end up adding gunk to the bearings).
5. Let the isopropyl alcohol evaporate until dry. This won't take too long.
6. Add just 1 drop (2 is really not needed) of Speed Cream or sewing machine oil (NO WD40 for chrissakes!) per one whole bearing.
7. Spin the bearing to even out the oil.
8. Put shields back on.
9. Proceed to rip the shit out of whatever spot you intend to skate next.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4704 on: February 28, 2024, 07:42:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That sounds extremely likely. Do you have photos of the box by any chance?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #4705 on: February 28, 2024, 09:57:06 AM »
Is anyone on Bones (wheels) and Ventures (pros like)?

hiljentaa

• Rep: 318
« Reply #4706 on: February 28, 2024, 10:02:58 AM »

PJ Ladd, Felipe Gustavo, Trent McClung

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #4707 on: February 28, 2024, 10:14:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

PJ Ladd, Felipe Gustavo, Trent McClung

Cheers and gnar'd

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • sup dog
« Reply #4708 on: February 28, 2024, 11:16:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
:o ooooooooooo check this article out. Good picture of small details to check.
https://shredzshop.com/blogs/news/everything-about-bones-bearings
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Ourladyoftheflowers

« Reply #4709 on: February 28, 2024, 01:16:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Got em from a shop, the box seems legit. Has the made in Switzerland and the since 1981 on it. Took em out yesterday and they rolled like a dream. Now the wheels are spinning. Still gonna grab some speed cream today just in case though cause I was running them raw yesterday