Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216512 times)

Gleefull508

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4740 on: March 07, 2024, 09:30:56 AM »
does anyone make a slip on with a wide forefoot
or are slips just not for me

I skated the Emerica slips a couple years ago and they fit wider

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4741 on: March 07, 2024, 09:39:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Is a worldwide thing that finding 7/8 Allen hardware is almost impossible?
[close]
Was at my local (French Alps) last night and they were fully stocked. PM me if you need I can send you some.
Titus has them
https://www.titus-shop.com/collections/skate-accessories-hardware
I'm sure plenty of other shops do as well.
Found some in here, I appreciate it man :)
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4742 on: March 07, 2024, 02:35:36 PM »
Is a worldwide thing that finding 7/8 Allen hardware is almost impossible?

I think it is just where ever you are looking.

What do local shops mostly have there where you are?

There are still way too many options in 7/8" Allen bolts almost everywhere I look here, but yet I am sure in some places, they prefer Phillips 1" or whatever it was that was the number one selling product back in the time that people choose to get them - thinking Jamie Thomas interview re bolts from a while back.

Even some countries might have more or less of this or that too, depending on what the market trend is, or what the distribution companies are bringing in.

* I feel like Phillips 7/8" are way harder to find here though, especially Shortys and similar brands with smaller heads.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 904
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #4743 on: March 07, 2024, 09:12:43 PM »
Is there a current deck out there that has a square ish nose and tail that’s mellow? Skating a quasi and I love the square but hate how steep it feels, especially the nose on switch/nollie tricks. Preferably on an 8.5 or wider too.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #4744 on: March 08, 2024, 01:25:06 AM »
Is there a current deck out there that has a square ish nose and tail that’s mellow? Skating a quasi and I love the square but hate how steep it feels, especially the nose on switch/nollie tricks. Preferably on an 8.5 or wider too.

AWS and Habitat offer a similar or maybe identical shape, but have often felt pretty mellow, at least compared to how to steep the FA/Hockey/Quasi blunt shape tends to be.

I had 8.5s, for reference. Not sure on their 8.6/8.75 or 9.0s, but I assume they're similar to the 8.5 on mellowness
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4745 on: March 08, 2024, 02:48:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

AWS and Habitat offer a similar or maybe identical shape, but have often felt pretty mellow, at least compared to how to steep the FA/Hockey/Quasi blunt shape tends to be.

I had 8.5s, for reference. Not sure on their 8.6/8.75 or 9.0s, but I assume they're similar to the 8.5 on mellowness

PS Stix are well known for having more mellow tails and steeper noses.  That is the Professor's version of a multi tool.

As for other BBS versions of the Quasi / GX1000 boards, which have the same shapes, it is down to checking the boards more so than all of them, some being a bit steeper / more mellow than others.

FA / Hockey are the steepest of all, but Quasi / GX1000 can be right up there too, from some I have seen.

AWS / Habitat / Metal also use the blunt shapes, often longer boards, shorter wheelbases, very long kicks, all on BBS so again some steeper, some a bit more mellow, but more even than PS Stix in terms of both kick angles.

I would almost think that the DLX - Rreal Full SE type boards, especially marked IV, but even III can also be blunt / squared off kicks, but way more mellow than anything else, as well as feeling really good overall, eg good dimensions and come in most sizes.

A recent Real 8.5 Full SE board was very mellow that I had come through my hands, marked IV and flatter than most I have seen, so I think given they are always out there, that might be the best option.

There are others out there, but right this minute I can't think of other brands that have squared off looking kicks, without them being actual shaped boards, which I don't know if you would want?

Example:

https://www.tactics.com/real/busenitz-overlord-85-full-se-shape-skateboard-deck/orange

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #4746 on: March 09, 2024, 10:18:09 AM »
Can any English pals give me the scoop on Aquascutum? Are their clothes comfortable and true to size, is it a wack brand, etc

Banned from the room

« Reply #4747 on: March 09, 2024, 11:49:50 AM »
How the fuck SW Lazer back lip on a handrail?

Think about it. You do the god awful SW Lazer. Then you gotta get your foot over the rail and get on going the opposite direction of the scoop . It doesn't compute in my brain at all.

I guess on like a baby flat bar but still.

That blind kids demented

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 43
« Reply #4748 on: March 09, 2024, 02:14:21 PM »
Can any English pals give me the scoop on Aquascutum? Are their clothes comfortable and true to size, is it a wack brand, etc

I have a raincoat of theirs. It's nice. Keeps the rain off.
I'd put them in the category "once elite, now just solid" alongside Brooks Bros, Burberry, Hart Schaffner Marx, etc.

Now, if you get your hands on a vintage item, that's different.
Caveat: not British, just opinionated.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 179
« Reply #4749 on: March 09, 2024, 11:33:14 PM »
What size trucks have people been running on the Passport spade shape? Just ordered one need to get new trucks for it I’m an impatient fucker and don’t want to wait until it gets here to measure it up.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4750 on: March 10, 2024, 04:43:40 PM »
What size trucks have people been running on the Passport spade shape? Just ordered one need to get new trucks for it I’m an impatient fucker and don’t want to wait until it gets here to measure it up.

Is it the 9 or maybe 8.8 board?

Most likely 159s / 8.75 axle trucks would fit best, but there are quite a few in the Setups thread when I put SPADE in the search.

This is maybe the main post though that I thought looked the best.

Expand Quote

Not big enough for the big boy thread, not egg enough for the egg shape thread.

Passport 8.8 spade
159 hollows
Theeve Ti bolts
Some conical full 53s temporarily while I wait for OG classics
NOS Powell Thin Rib
[close]
spade is a great shape, very very similar to Shin surf shape, just a tad less square. Love mine!

Top looks like this:

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 179
« Reply #4751 on: March 10, 2024, 06:08:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is it the 9 or maybe 8.8 board?

Most likely 159s / 8.75 axle trucks would fit best, but there are quite a few in the Setups thread when I put SPADE in the search.

This is maybe the main post though that I thought looked the best.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Not big enough for the big boy thread, not egg enough for the egg shape thread.

Passport 8.8 spade
159 hollows
Theeve Ti bolts
Some conical full 53s temporarily while I wait for OG classics
NOS Powell Thin Rib
[close]
spade is a great shape, very very similar to Shin surf shape, just a tad less square. Love mine!

Top looks like this:

[close]

Thank for your help!.
Passport list it as a 9 x 31.5 x 14.5 but I’m finding conflicting info online from 8.8 listings to 9.125 so it has me a little confused. I’m assuming it either the generator gs5 shape or something very similar to that as I’ve found quite a few listings with specs labeled as 9 x 31.375 x 14.35 which ties in with the gs5.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #4752 on: March 11, 2024, 11:33:32 PM »
If a shoe has an ollie hole in it, but has another fabric layer under, still feels fine and tread is good, but looks kinda like shit. Do you still skate it or are you retiring it? (Tiagos)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #4753 on: March 11, 2024, 11:39:11 PM »
If a shoe has an ollie hole in it, but has another fabric layer under, still feels fine and tread is good, but looks kinda like shit. Do you still skate it or are you retiring it? (Tiagos)

i tend to do the worst thing and put it into rotation, so i have a shit looking shoe for even looooooonger.

these days i don’t care what i look like, so im not a good source, but i do think that i like the way a well
work skate shoe looks, more so these days.
but not like when you see the duct tape and such. always somebody with etnies that goes way too far.

Scottboarding

• Rep: 87
« Reply #4754 on: March 12, 2024, 12:52:18 AM »
I keep skating them until they’re fully done (typically no tread left in my case). Once I start skating a pair of shoes they’re dedicated to skating so I’m not going to work or the store with them. Also have to agree with Ok that a well worn pair of skate shoes is a look I like.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • sup dog
« Reply #4755 on: March 12, 2024, 07:13:50 AM »
I feel blessed to get an Ollie hole before the sole smooths out and gets slippery.

I’m skating as long as I can with it.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #4756 on: March 12, 2024, 04:12:47 PM »
Are Polar slicks heavier than a regular non-slick board?

I've heard yes and I'm inclined to believe it, just wanted some more opinions.

Expand Quote
[close]

I have a raincoat of theirs. It's nice. Keeps the rain off.
I'd put them in the category "once elite, now just solid" alongside Brooks Bros, Burberry, Hart Schaffner Marx, etc.

Now, if you get your hands on a vintage item, that's different.
Caveat: not British, just opinionated.

Edit - Sorry just saw this now. Thanks for the input my guy, I like their designs and I'm down for solid haha
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 06:22:08 PM by Madam, I'm Adam »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4757 on: March 13, 2024, 09:42:25 AM »
Anyone here might have experiences with building DIY obstacles at a public skatepark?

The homie and I want to build a wheeliepad / small ledge at our local park. Like early in the morning and then look if it gets torn down.

If we do it well, why should anyone have a problem with it, right? I know we live in Germany and maybe the obstacle needs to fuflfill some safety standards or some shit.
IG: @flowterspace

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • sup dog
« Reply #4758 on: March 13, 2024, 05:27:49 PM »
Anyone here might have experiences with building DIY obstacles at a public skatepark?

The homie and I want to build a wheeliepad / small ledge at our local park. Like early in the morning and then look if it gets torn down.

If we do it well, why should anyone have a problem with it, right? I know we live in Germany and maybe the obstacle needs to fuflfill some safety standards or some shit.
That’s exactly what I want to do, too, but I’m going the route legit with the neighborhood association to see if they’ll fund a professional build of filling in a space and adding a manual pad.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Luismps

• Rep: 9
« Reply #4759 on: March 14, 2024, 03:32:00 PM »
Somewhere I heard that the dimensions of the Primitive decks had changed.
Does anyone know the current tail length of the new decks on 8.25?
Still mellow?

thanks!

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4760 on: March 14, 2024, 10:13:35 PM »
Setting up some Thunder 151s with stock bushings on a twin tip. If I don't like them stock and want to achieve a similar feel as my Indy 149s (90A conical) what bushings could I try? I want them to still feel somewhat surfy like Indy but desire the pros of stability and rebound that Thunder is supposedly known for.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4761 on: March 14, 2024, 10:40:50 PM »
Setting up some Thunder 151s with stock bushings on a twin tip. If I don't like them stock and want to achieve a similar feel as my Indy 149s (90A conical) what bushings could I try? I want them to still feel somewhat surfy like Indy but desire the pros of stability and rebound that Thunder is supposedly known for.

I don't know about different bushings to make Thunder trucks feel like Independent trucks, (besides trying stock Indy bushings in there - yeah they do work) but I would usually put a thin rubber DIY riser in there (or anything else) to get them a little higher so they will turn more fully than Thunder usually do, as coming from usually skating Indy trucks, I always turn too deep and wheelbite with nothing underneath.  The ones I make are 2 mm and they really fit nicely.

The two other ways to offset this is a board with wheel wells or carve / grind out where the wheelbite happens, so I can turn more than what the trucks allow usually.

I always feel funny putting other brand bushings in some trucks, but when tried, yes any do work well enough in the other brands, swapping in / out Indy, Thunder, Venture, maybe not Ace as they are a lot taller, but any of those three, especially the conical Indy bushings work well enough in other Thunder trucks I have tried.

More than anything, just going easy on the stock Thunder bushings for the first session or two and Thunder bushings really skate well as is, but to start with they often feel way to mushy, but they do firm up a lot, or at least a lot more than some other bushings do.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4762 on: March 14, 2024, 11:12:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know about different bushings to make Thunder trucks feel like Independent trucks, (besides trying stock Indy bushings in there - yeah they do work) but I would usually put a thin rubber DIY riser in there (or anything else) to get them a little higher so they will turn more fully than Thunder usually do, as coming from usually skating Indy trucks, I always turn too deep and wheelbite with nothing underneath.  The ones I make are 2 mm and they really fit nicely.

The two other ways to offset this is a board with wheel wells or carve / grind out where the wheelbite happens, so I can turn more than what the trucks allow usually.

I always feel funny putting other brand bushings in some trucks, but when tried, yes any do work well enough in the other brands, swapping in / out Indy, Thunder, Venture, maybe not Ace as they are a lot taller, but any of those three, especially the conical Indy bushings work well enough in other Thunder trucks I have tried.

More than anything, just going easy on the stock Thunder bushings for the first session or two and Thunder bushings really skate well as is, but to start with they often feel way to mushy, but they do firm up a lot, or at least a lot more than some other bushings do.

Appreciate it! I haven't skated Thunder since 2009-2010 I believe, so I don't know what their stock bushings feel like anymore. Already got risers ready to use to give me a similar height. Maybe that's enough.

Wasn't sure if Thunder offered different duros that achieve similar effects as the different Indy bushings do.

I'll remember to go easy on stock and see how they fare for me before scoping out alts
Super Champion Fun Zone

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4763 on: March 15, 2024, 04:24:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Appreciate it! I haven't skated Thunder since 2009-2010 I believe, so I don't know what their stock bushings feel like anymore. Already got risers ready to use to give me a similar height. Maybe that's enough.

Wasn't sure if Thunder offered different duros that achieve similar effects as the different Indy bushings do.

I'll remember to go easy on stock and see how they fare for me before scoping out alts

Just my personal preference. I don't like the feel of conical bushings, no matter the hardness. Barrel bushings for me. Thunder 148s are on my setup now. Indy 90a stock bottom barrel, Indy 92a top bushing, but I cut the top bushing down like 1.5mm. And I replaced all washers with Indy ones because the Thunder washers seemed to dig into the bushings.

Everything feels pretty stable for flips and surfy when I want to turn. I am at 159 lbs now
IG: @flowterspace

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #4764 on: March 15, 2024, 11:17:14 AM »
Probably pretty obvious, but does anyone feel like certain shoes are better for certain tricks? Specifically heelflips 

Some shoes will not allow me to land them, like at all. With others, every heelflip comes out like a banger

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #4765 on: March 16, 2024, 08:00:52 AM »
Probably pretty obvious, but does anyone feel like certain shoes are better for certain tricks? Specifically heelflips 

Some shoes will not allow me to land them, like at all. With others, every heelflip comes out like a banger

tell me the ones that lead to bangers. immediately.

Luismps

« Reply #4766 on: March 16, 2024, 08:08:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

tell me the ones that lead to bangers. immediately.

I don't know why the Rowan were perfect for the heelflip but the 440Lo are for me the best for a compromise between heelflip and kickflip

Luismps

« Reply #4767 on: March 16, 2024, 08:11:00 AM »
Somewhere I heard that the dimensions of the Primitive decks had changed.
Does anyone know the current tail length of the new decks on 8.25?
Still mellow?

thanks!

Can anyone help me with this question so I don't regret it? 😕

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4768 on: March 16, 2024, 02:33:03 PM »
Randomly speculating that this specific shape would be great for me if anyone knows if any companies actually makes it - 8.5 egg that tapers to around 8.375 at the trucks with a roughly 14” wb

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4769 on: March 17, 2024, 12:11:48 AM »

fat.

1000% agree some hoes are made for tricks.

My personals below:

Blazer Mid: Kickflip, Tre Flip, Switch Heel & Heelflip too

Joslin/Marana: Heelflip, Kickflip, Backside Flip, Switch Heel, & Switch Front Heel

CONS One Star Mid: Switch Heel & Heelflip

Dunk High & Low: Kickflip, Heelflip, Switch Heel, Tre Flip

KSL G6: Kickflip, Tre Flip, Backside Flip

Pretty much any shoe that has a thick-ish collar around your ankle and a stable sole. Also, vulcs don't really heelflip well for me unless it's a thicker one like Arto 2, 2010s DVS, or a Half Cab/Blazer Mid kinda shoe
Super Champion Fun Zone