Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216515 times)

frontsideNECKTIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
  • Precision Posture
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4770 on: March 17, 2024, 11:36:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Probably pretty obvious, but does anyone feel like certain shoes are better for certain tricks? Specifically heelflips 

Some shoes will not allow me to land them, like at all. With others, every heelflip comes out like a banger
[close]

tell me the ones that lead to bangers. immediately.

Someone noted the Rowans, and I agree. Half Cabs.... I think most of the beefier Vans models would heelflip pretty well. The Codes from Hours have some sweet heelflip-ability, skating those now.

Most Emericas I skated "back in the day" were great for heels, but haven't worn them since the Reynolds G6

Also agree with DarkPools summary (poofy collar, wide sole, a bit bulky) but would also add minimal side panels and stitching helps with consistency too. in contrast, One Stars worked really well for me also
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4771 on: March 18, 2024, 01:30:10 AM »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #4772 on: March 18, 2024, 12:48:34 PM »
Anyone around here skate Leo's Nike shoe? If so, how was it? I was thinking about picking up a pair.  I haven't had any Nike's in a long time, so, I'm not really sure about their quality these days.

slaab900turbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #4773 on: March 20, 2024, 04:53:09 PM »
Any brands out there that have more “interesting” popsicle based shapes? I feel like a lot of brands are just pushing generic BBS shapes.

diplodocus

• Rep: 164
  • long neck
« Reply #4774 on: March 20, 2024, 06:04:00 PM »
Any brands out there that have more “interesting” popsicle based shapes? I feel like a lot of brands are just pushing generic BBS shapes.

Welcome? They corny as fuck tho

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4775 on: March 20, 2024, 07:55:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Welcome? They corny as fuck tho

Yeah Welcome and Polar are the two main ones that come to mind, often with a squared off nose / tail and fairly normal everything else, along with their very specifically shaped boards which I am guessing you are not really meaning.

Look up shovel nose for another one, some brands like Doom Sayers had that one for a while, as did Antihero but I don't know if either still do anything like that any more.

Black Label had the punk point for Jason Adams, as did some other brands, pretty much a popsicle with a pointy nose, some more pointed than others, which was also not a bad board to ride, until it hit something hard right on the end.

There are egg shapes around a lot too, but not sure if that fits in to your view of popsicle based shaped boards.

I think that is about it right this minute.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 43
« Reply #4776 on: March 20, 2024, 08:17:17 PM »
Anti-hero Grosso shovel shape is beautiful to me and very skateable.

Edit: they are bbs so maybe not what you're looking for oops.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 08:25:36 PM by gringo_viejo »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4777 on: March 20, 2024, 11:15:29 PM »

I think you are good, the person saying more the generic BBS shapes, not BBS wood in general, which all of those brands are anyway.

Most of the smaller brands tend to go with the BBS / Generator shapes, I think they were getting at.

That's my take on it anyway.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #4778 on: March 21, 2024, 12:37:49 AM »
Most of us I'm guessing know of:

http://www.artofskateboarding.com

Why hasn't some one done a similar archive of skate shoes?

slaab900turbo

« Reply #4779 on: March 21, 2024, 06:56:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think you are good, the person saying more the generic BBS shapes, not BBS wood in general, which all of those brands are anyway.

Most of the smaller brands tend to go with the BBS / Generator shapes, I think they were getting at.

Exactly. No complaints with BBS wood. Just seems like a lot of companies are putting out the same product just with different graphics.
Appreciate the recommendations.

slaab900turbo

« Reply #4780 on: March 21, 2024, 06:57:10 AM »

That would be cool.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • sup dog
« Reply #4781 on: March 21, 2024, 07:06:28 AM »
Is there life after skating?

(It’s rainy and cloudy out… feeling particularly gloomy)
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4782 on: March 21, 2024, 01:02:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Exactly. No complaints with BBS wood. Just seems like a lot of companies are putting out the same product just with different graphics.

well fa/hockey was the main one that started doing the extremely blunted noses.

DLX has its own kind of shape. Its a pointier tail with a more blunted nose but its nice and round still. that is a horrible way to describe it but thats the best i can come up with. DLX often have short tails like 6.5" on some of their boards too, and they experiment with WB a lottt more than most brands. were they they first to do twin tail?

Primitive Boards have very blunt kicks but not as insane as hockey. more practical for shove tricks imo. they have longer tails at 6.75"

Polar boards have lots of options, some have wheel wells and shit. there is some experimentation with WB and kicks and stuff but i dont know the details as well.

Baker / Deathwish seemed to offer "Mellow Concave" for a long time that was really the only thing i saw from them that was out of the ordinary

girl / chocolate are often short wb, they have thier own kinda shape as well i dont know how id describe it, more on the pointy side id say. they do a lot of twin tail. NOT BBS i guess i have drifted off topic now

gotta just go in the shpo and see for yourself!!

slaab900turbo

« Reply #4783 on: March 21, 2024, 04:23:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

well fa/hockey was the main one that started doing the extremely blunted noses.

DLX has its own kind of shape. Its a pointier tail with a more blunted nose but its nice and round still. that is a horrible way to describe it but thats the best i can come up with. DLX often have short tails like 6.5" on some of their boards too, and they experiment with WB a lottt more than most brands. were they they first to do twin tail?

Primitive Boards have very blunt kicks but not as insane as hockey. more practical for shove tricks imo. they have longer tails at 6.75"

Polar boards have lots of options, some have wheel wells and shit. there is some experimentation with WB and kicks and stuff but i dont know the details as well.

Baker / Deathwish seemed to offer "Mellow Concave" for a long time that was really the only thing i saw from them that was out of the ordinary

girl / chocolate are often short wb, they have thier own kinda shape as well i dont know how id describe it, more on the pointy side id say. they do a lot of twin tail. NOT BBS i guess i have drifted off topic now

gotta just go in the shpo and see for yourself!!

I think I’ll grab a Huffer and a Polar with wheel wells. Fuck it.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #4784 on: March 21, 2024, 05:14:35 PM »
I like the Hockey boards ase they're like a really wide popsicle, with square nose and tail.  Feels nicer to ride and better to look at for me rather than the more normal rounded tail & nose.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #4785 on: March 23, 2024, 07:32:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That would be cool.

skately had a good one and you can see some of it thru web archive. village psychic fucked around with it too but they added like 5 shoes and quit lol

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #4786 on: March 23, 2024, 07:34:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

That would be cool.
[close]

skately had a good one and you can see some of it thru web archive. village psychic fucked around with it too but they added like 5 shoes and quit lol
Cheers will check it out.

Barack Hussein

• Rep: -4
« Reply #4787 on: March 23, 2024, 08:21:52 AM »
Do you guys find that certain trucks are better for hill bombing than others? I feel like some people are like "I'd never bomb a hill on my aces." But that and Indy are all I've ever ridden.. I do tend to get speed wobbles...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4788 on: March 23, 2024, 02:28:04 PM »
Do you guys find that certain trucks are better for hill bombing than others? I feel like some people are like "I'd never bomb a hill on my aces." But that and Indy are all I've ever ridden.. I do tend to get speed wobbles...

I think it is down to technique more than anything.  That and strong ankles.

I would see people eat shit so easily on anything, any brand if they were not balanced or stood too tall, but more than anything, it is not just about tightening things down a lot, which some people do, but more just getting used to it and staying low.

That said, seeing some of those guys with super loose trucks (any brand) just power through and not have issues must have really strong ankles to hold the board steady and stop the side to side wiggles that result in speed wobbles and bye bye slams, but even just tightening down trucks one full turn makes them so much more stable anyway.

Might not be fun to skate, compared to how you might usually have them, but it might save you some skin, so said a few guys who do the same for vert ramps and only ride one board, just tighten the trucks down one full turn for any real "go fast" type of skating, then loosen them back off a full turn for everything else.

slaab900turbo

« Reply #4789 on: March 23, 2024, 04:45:17 PM »
I’m sure it’s been discussed, but any truck recommendations for a Polar Dane 1?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4790 on: March 25, 2024, 06:22:47 AM »
I am trying to find this clip, I thought it was from Santa Cruz Speed Freaks but I guess it wasnt. But it is of a guy blasting a method over a ladder off a launch ramp. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1383
« Reply #4791 on: March 25, 2024, 07:49:45 AM »
I am trying to find this clip, I thought it was from Santa Cruz Speed Freaks but I guess it wasnt. But it is of a guy blasting a method over a ladder off a launch ramp. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Dammit rawb, this is for gear, not videos

Maybe you're thinking of the clip at the beginning here. It's from an H-street video -

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4792 on: March 25, 2024, 07:57:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dammit rawb, this is for gear, not videos

Maybe you're thinking of the clip at the beginning here. It's from an H-street video -

yes this is it, thank you!!!

LeDave

• Rep: 16
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #4793 on: March 26, 2024, 06:39:35 AM »
What do you guys think about ACE AF1 trucks?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4794 on: March 26, 2024, 06:49:24 AM »
Best trucks ever but skateboarding is very subjective so...
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #4795 on: March 26, 2024, 11:28:02 AM »

I have a set of the 60s, just the standard, not hollows or lows or anything like that
after ONLY riding indy for a long long time, and coming from the 159s, I was scared they were going to be way too turny so I put these Indy Hard bushings in which was the dumbest idea ever. Rode it like that for awhile and while it was fine, something didn't seem right. It was very loose and super turny. I put the stock bushings back in and i realized how dumb that was. They are completely different size - ace bushings dont fit in indys at all, so indy bushings are way too small for ace trucks. I only tightened the trucks maybe 1 thread and I found they were a very good turn without being too wheel bitey.  I put smaller wheels on as well to mitigate this further, 54mm conical fulls (worn down to maybe 52). this was on a 9" Villani Egg. the board felt really perfect once I set it up with those wheels. it felt really stable. Ace are not as high as indys so i recommend keeping the wheels smaller like 54mm max. and having a wider surface area made the setup feel a lot more stable. the turning is so carvy, if you add more "tippyness" to it it feels too wild for me and hard to skate.

LeDave

• Rep: 16
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #4796 on: March 26, 2024, 11:58:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a set of the 60s, just the standard, not hollows or lows or anything like that
after ONLY riding indy for a long long time, and coming from the 159s, I was scared they were going to be way too turny so I put these Indy Hard bushings in which was the dumbest idea ever. Rode it like that for awhile and while it was fine, something didn't seem right. It was very loose and super turny. I put the stock bushings back in and i realized how dumb that was. They are completely different size - ace bushings dont fit in indys at all, so indy bushings are way too small for ace trucks. I only tightened the trucks maybe 1 thread and I found they were a very good turn without being too wheel bitey.  I put smaller wheels on as well to mitigate this further, 54mm conical fulls (worn down to maybe 52). this was on a 9" Villani Egg. the board felt really perfect once I set it up with those wheels. it felt really stable. Ace are not as high as indys so i recommend keeping the wheels smaller like 54mm max. and having a wider surface area made the setup feel a lot more stable. the turning is so carvy, if you add more "tippyness" to it it feels too wild for me and hard to skate.

Thanks, very good contrast and comparison write-up. I'll stick with Independent Stage 11's.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #4797 on: March 26, 2024, 12:29:52 PM »
What brands/shapes are Limosine comparable with - never skated one and I've been wanting to try a Max Palmer board for a while now.....I'm skating a Krooked board at the moment and love that shape.

texastoast

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4798 on: March 26, 2024, 02:44:29 PM »
What brands/shapes are Limosine comparable with - never skated one and I've been wanting to try a Max Palmer board for a while now.....I'm skating a Krooked board at the moment and love that shape.

polar popsicles

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
« Reply #4799 on: March 26, 2024, 04:19:33 PM »

great truck. last way longer than the classics... however, i still think the classics have a better turn and pop feel.