Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 208785 times)

Amocat and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4800 on: March 26, 2024, 04:59:03 PM »
What brands/shapes are Limosine comparable with - never skated one and I've been wanting to try a Max Palmer board for a while now.....I'm skating a Krooked board at the moment and love that shape.

What size and shape are you currently on? 

*** ADDED - if it was the Mermaid board, that is a small 8.5 x 31.85 with 14.25 wb ***

Or at least general dimensions, as this can change a whole lot between different boards, eg Krooked 8.62 is 32.5+ long with 14.75 wheelbase, compared to a Krooked Una Tru Fit which is very short, 8.38 x 31.something with 14.0 wb.  Other more normal shapes, from 8, 8.125, 8.25, 8.38, 8.5 (three different sizes) are fairly normal overall for any DLX brand - Krooked, Real or Antihero, plus There or Unity decks, but there are still differences that make even Krooked fans go with one, but not another.

The Limosine decks are similar to, but maybe not quite the same as the Generator / standard BBS boards, so from the few I have seen in person, as well as all the others people have posted or I have seen in shop listings, they are very middle of the road, maybe a little shorter and more rounded than blunt or full shaped kicks but not at all pointy either, which in general terms is great if you want a board that is within those dimensions, eg 8.38 x 32 with 14.38 wb, or 8.5 x 32.3 with 14.5 wb.

Not trying to be funny or weird, but there are just so many options, so basic info like what width board really helps a whole lot, in helping to answer with more relevant info.

Edit - went looking for dimensions anyway:

This Max Palmer "Melt" deck with info is shorter than average:

8.6" x 32.35" x 14.45" WB
Max Palmer pro model
BBS premium wood

Other sizes below as listed on the Limosine site:

https://limosineskateboards.com/

Thank you @apbarbs for helping me get the correct measurements, for all these boards.

Available in:

8.25" x 31.82"
14.13" Wheelbase

8.38" x 31.89"
14.20" Wheelbase

8.5" x 32.25"
14.40" Wheelbase

8.6" x 32.35"
14.45 Wheelbase

9.0" x 33.25"
14.8" Wheelbase

Limosine 8.38 board top pic for shape reference, closest to the Krooked mermaid board shape:

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 07:58:18 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

French manicure

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #4801 on: March 26, 2024, 06:36:18 PM »
Woah! Thank you so much for the detailed write-up. This will def help.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4802 on: March 27, 2024, 05:14:30 AM »
is there a video / documentary floating around with how trucks are manufactured ?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
« Reply #4803 on: March 27, 2024, 05:29:37 AM »
is there a video / documentary floating around with how trucks are manufactured ?
I know of this one:

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 95
« Reply #4804 on: March 27, 2024, 06:12:57 AM »
As I get older knee issues worry me more. I have jumpers knee which is generally fine as long as I do yoga, foam roll and cycle.

I was considering getting some of those Old Bones knee sleeves. Maybe a silly question but are they good to wear on every sesh or will it be an issue where my knees will be weaker from the extra support?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4805 on: March 27, 2024, 08:19:20 AM »
As I get older knee issues worry me more. I have jumpers knee which is generally fine as long as I do yoga, foam roll and cycle.

I was considering getting some of those Old Bones knee sleeves. Maybe a silly question but are they good to wear on every sesh or will it be an issue where my knees will be weaker from the extra support?
Get X99
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ourladyoftheflowers

« Reply #4806 on: March 27, 2024, 08:32:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Get X99

I appreciate that but I tried the x99 and I personally like my 99a f4s more. I just wanna know if wearing a compression sleeve on the knees consistently will be worse in the long run

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4807 on: March 27, 2024, 08:54:39 AM »
I know that Baker has the b2 shape but does deathwish have anything in that shape?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #4808 on: March 27, 2024, 09:04:27 AM »

it can't hurt so give a try. I dislocated my elbow last year and wore an old bones elbow sleeve while healing. i asked my PT if it would help. he said, jury is out, but if it feels good, no harm...  it helped me feel a bit more secure and aware of my injury which was a good thing.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4809 on: March 27, 2024, 09:27:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I know of this one:

Thanks

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #4810 on: March 27, 2024, 01:47:11 PM »
How long does Primitive take for shipping? I ordered Thursday night and still haven’t received a shipping confirmation. I emailed them and today they said they have a large amount of orders to get through.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4811 on: March 27, 2024, 04:03:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I know of this one:

[close]

Thanks

That was a good one - hadn't actually seen it.

There were others out there I recall seeing that I can't find now, but these two are very interesting for different reasons, the old Fausto video for Independent trucks and this 2Hex video (always seems like old mate is struggling to talk) but for the newer process, it is worth watching too.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1932
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4812 on: March 27, 2024, 06:39:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

it can't hurt so give a try. I dislocated my elbow last year and wore an old bones elbow sleeve while healing. i asked my PT if it would help. he said, jury is out, but if it feels good, no harm...  it helped me feel a bit more secure and aware of my injury which was a good thing.

Same, I pulled something in my left knee years ago and have worn knee sleeves on both knees ever since. A little compression doesn't help much but it provides some padding if I land poorly and some peace of mind. I go out for runs without them so I can do with or without.

Always good to supplement the brace / guards with PT to strengthen regardless of injury status.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #4813 on: March 27, 2024, 10:32:04 PM »
The argument of using support actually hinders strength is kinda garbage…..I find a sleeve, or high tops or a shoe with support just makes you more secure….any exercise you prolly aren’t wearing it, so you’re getting your strength there….

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #4814 on: March 28, 2024, 01:34:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I know of this one:

[close]

Thanks
[close]

There were others out there I recall seeing that I can't find now, but these two are very interesting for different reasons, the old Fausto video for Independent trucks and this 2Hex video (always seems like old mate is struggling to talk) but for the newer process, it is worth watching too.

Has anyone ever seen a 2Hex truck available anywhere?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4815 on: March 28, 2024, 02:13:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I know of this one:

[close]

Thanks
[close]

[close]

Has anyone ever seen a 2Hex truck available anywhere?
https://worldshop.2hex.com/shop?category=1&start=1.00&end=2308.00
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #4816 on: March 28, 2024, 06:31:34 AM »
thanks

Ourladyoftheflowers

« Reply #4817 on: March 28, 2024, 07:59:34 AM »
The argument of using support actually hinders strength is kinda garbage…..I find a sleeve, or high tops or a shoe with support just makes you more secure….any exercise you prolly aren’t wearing it, so you’re getting your strength there….

Yeah lol I had gotten a new job and didn’t really understand what an hsa is but was able to use it to grab the knee sleeves so I’m gonna try em.

I use a balance board, stationary bike (at least ten usually 20 miles a day) and tons of exercise band workouts daily (for ankles, knees and wrists) basically just to keep in shape to be able to skate as long as possible so hopefully that provides the strength.

It’s funny how before I started skating again I didn’t really exercise at all now I have whole training programs just to be able to skate a ledge 3-4 times a week. Wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Bold

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4818 on: March 29, 2024, 05:13:48 AM »
How much "play" or slop is normal in bearings?

I have a set of Bronson G3s that I don't love. They have been very gently used and their performance has been mediocre. I have a set of swiss bones and a set of reds that I like better.

I tried cleaning with alcohol, drying and lubing with speed cream but at least 3 still have noticable rumble feel and when spun in hand and when installed they free spin half the time of the reds and a third of the Swiss.

I also noticed that when I hold the inner race I can wobble the outer race. Like, if I put the bearing on an axle that's pointed up I can wobble the outer race like teeter totter. I don't believe the wobble is from the inner race fit with the axle.

How much wobble is normal?

So far the only thing I like about them is that the non-rumbly ones are quiet but I'll take noise over lack of spin.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 970
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4819 on: March 29, 2024, 09:41:00 AM »
If a shoe has an ollie hole in it, but has another fabric layer under, still feels fine and tread is good, but looks kinda like shit. Do you still skate it or are you retiring it? (Tiagos)

I'm thinking on this rn. But it's fix or run. The 808 is compliments. I'm full addicted to the joy. Cuz when you walk in the room stranger. I'm pecker checking your kicks. It's almost always the first thing I do.
Hearing people say GD! Those look sick! I'm like all warm an fuzzy about it.

I am bummed I gotta make this choice. My second set is still brand new ish.

Fuckin fuc I forget my question. I'll be back
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4820 on: March 29, 2024, 04:09:54 PM »
How much "play" or slop is normal in bearings?

I have a set of Bronson G3s that I don't love. They have been very gently used and their performance has been mediocre. I have a set of swiss bones and a set of reds that I like better.

I tried cleaning with alcohol, drying and lubing with speed cream but at least 3 still have noticable rumble feel and when spun in hand and when installed they free spin half the time of the reds and a third of the Swiss.

I also noticed that when I hold the inner race I can wobble the outer race. Like, if I put the bearing on an axle that's pointed up I can wobble the outer race like teeter totter. I don't believe the wobble is from the inner race fit with the axle.

How much wobble is normal?

So far the only thing I like about them is that the non-rumbly ones are quiet but I'll take noise over lack of spin.

Good quality bearings when brand new should have almost zero side to side movement within the bearing itself, but as bearings wear, especially if they are run dry or without shields, but also if they are just put under excessive loads, eg jumping down stuff, they will often lose that tightness and become blown out, which then leads to other issues and things just not working as they should.  They can be slower, seize up entirely or become very noisy so depending on the user, some people would just call it a day, others would put them on the "rain board" or something similar, so as to not really worry about them much.

Also once they lose that tightness, there is no getting them back to new feeling again either, with the parts, often but not always the bearing cage becoming ovalled out or the balls or races becoming pitted, but putting in a different bearing cage can sometimes bring them back to near new feeling.  I had experimented with a few Bones Swiss that had the bearing cage break, putting in Bones Reds cages instead and they held up well enough to give those bearings a new life, although still not feeling quite like they had before, but that is one way to make expensive bearings last a bit longer.

I haven't had that much experience with Bronson bearings, besides getting a set of well used and almost dead Raw bearings from someone, which I brought back to half working, but still not the same as any usual bearings.  Guessing that any of them when new have been good enough, but often any bearings, regardless of brand, if well used / abused, can be cleaned up a bit but still never come back to where people might want them to be.

At least the "Spare board that almost never gets used" or the old crapper or whatever is a good place to put them, or if kids just have nothing at all, they are the best go to in that regard.

Luismps

• Rep: 6
« Reply #4821 on: March 29, 2024, 04:46:57 PM »

I suffered from jumpers knees for approximately 3 years. I'm sure you're being treated but I managed to "cure" myself over a year ago.
Regarding compression bandages, there are several on the market, just do a Google search.
I used a 4cm wide tape firmly tightened in the middle area of ​​the knee while doing sports, which allowed me at least 2 hours of intensive pain-free use.
It can be a long process but it is possible to be pain free in the medium term.

Good luck on your recovery!

DinnerDog425

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4822 on: March 30, 2024, 08:51:24 AM »
Has anyone rode a set of Thunders that came with black bushings. Is it just me or do they feel harder than a typical 90a Thunder bushing.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #4823 on: March 30, 2024, 09:24:49 AM »
Has anyone rode a set of Thunders that came with black bushings. Is it just me or do they feel harder than a typical 90a Thunder bushing.

Yes, I immediately replaced them but I just assumed I didn't like them more b/c they were new not b/c of the color. I always keep any old stock white ones I have and replace new ones with them. In saying that stock and new clear blue were about as good as the white.

All new bushings are problematic. A good bushing will never feel right straight away and will feel very different once you've got it broken in.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4824 on: March 30, 2024, 12:13:28 PM »
What's the difference between blazers mid abd blazers mid iso?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4825 on: March 30, 2024, 04:43:36 PM »

All stock bushings are said to be 90 duro, no matter the colour, clear or whatever else.  A guy I know has the black stock bushings that came on his raw team editions and they might feel ever so slightly stiffer than say the other stock clear colours or the white ones, but I also have some other stock bushings that feel way stiffer than those, for whatever reason, be it just age or who knows what.

At least if you don't like them, Thunder aftermarket bushings come in the stock 90 in both clear orange or white right now, or the rebuild kit in clear red 90, so you have options to replace them easily enough.

Yes, I immediately replaced them but I just assumed I didn't like them more b/c they were new not b/c of the color. I always keep any old stock white ones I have and replace new ones with them. In saying that stock and new clear blue were about as good as the white.

All new bushings are problematic. A good bushing will never feel right straight away and will feel very different once you've got it broken in.

Ha yeah - brand new bushings = find somewhere to just do laps or roll around and wear them in before even thinking of skating as usual, otherwise they often blow out or they just feel like they don't work well.

Had a few people set up new Thunder trucks recently, one didn't break them in as he should have - destroyed the bushings.  Another guy with the same trucks went really easy, as I had said to do - loves his new trucks now and the bushings feel perfect for him, as well as when we skated his board.

Sometimes I feel like I could have a market for very lightly used (and nicely broken in bushings) to supply to people who are too keen to wait and want to skate right now.  I usually have quite a few sets that I have just right, which I have taken out and are ready for whatever is needed in that regard, which have definitely helped some people, but it is a weird thing, like second hand shoes - sometimes you just need to get them and have them from new and do the hard work yourself.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4826 on: March 30, 2024, 04:46:56 PM »

I don't deal in Nike shoes at all, but I was curious, so checked and this is what came up.  Maybe they are the same exact shoes in a physical sense, maybe not, but it might just be a name, in the same way that at some point all the Nike shoes we had in a large store I worked in had SB after them, even though they were not at all the Skateboarding editions of the shoes.

What does Nike ISO stand for?

In-Store Only

An acronym for In-Store Only, the Nike Dunk ISO is exactly what it says in the tin. Pairs like the recent Nike SB Dunk High ISO ”Midnight Navy” were released exclusively in specific skate shops worldwide, making them a lot rarer than the usual pair.

DinnerDog425

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4827 on: March 30, 2024, 04:57:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All stock bushings are said to be 90 duro, no matter the colour, clear or whatever else.  A guy I know has the black stock bushings that came on his raw team editions and they might feel ever so slightly stiffer than say the other stock clear colours or the white ones, but I also have some other stock bushings that feel way stiffer than those, for whatever reason, be it just age or who knows what.

At least if you don't like them, Thunder aftermarket bushings come in the stock 90 in both clear orange or white right now, or the rebuild kit in clear red 90, so you have options to replace them easily enough.

Expand Quote

[close]

Ha yeah - brand new bushings = find somewhere to just do laps or roll around and wear them in before even thinking of skating as usual, otherwise they often blow out or they just feel like they don't work well.

Had a few people set up new Thunder trucks recently, one didn't break them in as he should have - destroyed the bushings.  Another guy with the same trucks went really easy, as I had said to do - loves his new trucks now and the bushings feel perfect for him, as well as when we skated his board.

Sometimes I feel like I could have a market for very lightly used (and nicely broken in bushings) to supply to people who are too keen to wait and want to skate right now.  I usually have quite a few sets that I have just right, which I have taken out and are ready for whatever is needed in that regard, which have definitely helped some people, but it is a weird thing, like second hand shoes - sometimes you just need to get them and have them from new and do the hard work yourself.
I had two sessions on them and the only way to get them anywhere near where I like to have them would have had none of the nylock in the threads. I threw them in boiling water and they are better now.

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #4828 on: March 30, 2024, 10:10:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Get X99
[close]

I appreciate that but I tried the x99 and I personally like my 99a f4s more. I just wanna know if wearing a compression sleeve on the knees consistently will be worse in the long run

As someone who is almost 50 years old and had my first knee surgery at 14, I can say that the old bones sleeves do nothing but maybe keep your knees warmer. Honestly the best knee support I've had is from 7mm+ knee wraps that power lifters use. They can hinder your skateboarding depending on what tricks you are trying. If you're cruising, slashing and riding transition then they are perfect. They won't make you weaker if that's what you've heard

The best thing that has worked for me, someone who has had multiple surgeries on his left knee but my right knee is my worst, is regressing to progress

work easy then press on

Drink the cool aid

30 years of knee pain gone in one year of body weight exercises

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4829 on: March 31, 2024, 12:04:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't deal in Nike shoes at all, but I was curious, so checked and this is what came up.  Maybe they are the same exact shoes in a physical sense, maybe not, but it might just be a name, in the same way that at some point all the Nike shoes we had in a large store I worked in had SB after them, even though they were not at all the Skateboarding editions of the shoes.

What does Nike ISO stand for?

In-Store Only

An acronym for In-Store Only, the Nike Dunk ISO is exactly what it says in the tin. Pairs like the recent Nike SB Dunk High ISO ”Midnight Navy” were released exclusively in specific skate shops worldwide, making them a lot rarer than the usual pair.
You da MVP man.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.